Food ideas with photos

i even keep a few home grown chillies frozen whole to use for things like this.
Unfortunately, my chilli crop did not produce much this year but I always have frozen chillis in my freezer as it is the best way to keep them. They also chop really easily from frozen which is an added bonus.
I have a section of the freezer fro chillis, fresh (frozen?) ginger, galangal and lemon grass.

I am a bit of a spice fiend - not necessarily hot but often spicy (think cardamon or cinnamon or cumin or coriander or fenugreek or ... as well as chilli) - so have a full cupboard of seeds and grounds as well as the frozen options.

Unfortunately, my chilli crop

I am a bit of a spice fiend -
Only one plant this year indoors near the window maybe 10-12 pods.

I won't show my spice shelf I have too many to fit on one shelf so they are all over the kitchen.

Only one plant this year indoors near the window maybe 10-12 pods.

I won't show my spice shelf I have too many to fit on one shelf so they are all over the kitchen.

I've got around ten chilli plants on the go, from scotch bonnet to yellow banana.

Rough guess at 35g

18g butter beans
1g tofu
12g veg

+ 1 cubes of 85% dark chocolate as a pudding. The darker it is the less I need. 85 is my limit tho.

Aso made couscous but forgot to serve it so saved that for tomorrow with the leftover tofu

Roasted broccoli celery and butter beans with tofu.

tofu veg butter beans-20220908.jpg

Went a bit overboard... Just over 60g...
16g falafel
34.5g couscous
Mushrooms with garlic and broccoli

Pudding. Not pictured
8.6g coconut collaborative chocolate coconut ganache pot.

PXL_20220909_182911060.jpg

If you look at the gluten free section of the menu, they say the pasta dishes can be made with gluten free pasta which is likely to be very low carb as I use edamame bean or black bean pasta which is gluten free and low carb.
In my experience, as someone living a strictly gluten free, low carb lifestyle, most gluten free pasta is based upon rice flour and potato starch, with xanthum gum to stabilise it, o rarely reduced carb.

thankfilly pasta was never really my thing

In my experience, as someone living a strictly gluten free, low carb lifestyle, most gluten free pasta is based upon rice flour and potato starch, with xanthum gum to stabilise it, o rarely reduced carb.

thankfilly pasta was never really my thing
It is obviously very different to the gluten free pasta I get which is low carb, blackbean or edamame bean pasta.

It is obviously very different to the gluten free pasta I get which is low carb, blackbean or edamame bean pasta.

My general observation on "normal", versus GF rarely shows huge differences in carb contents.

To be fair, there are not far more gluten-free options available in the regular parts of the supermarket than even just a couple of months ago.

My general observation on "normal", versus GF rarely shows huge differences in carb contents.

To be fair, there are not far more gluten-free options available in the regular parts of the supermarket than even just a couple of months ago.
General gluten free may be similar carbs, but @Leadinglights specifically said the soy bean varieties (edamame and black bean) and those have almost no carbs at all

General gluten free may be similar carbs, but @Leadinglights specifically said the soy bean varieties (edamame and black bean) and those have almost no carbs at all

With respect, @Leadinglights stated that ".... gluten free pasta is likely to be very low carb, because I usually use edamame bean or black bean which is gluten free and low carb. ....".

My experience is most GF products are not based on edemamme or black bean based, and therefore not (or not much) lower carb than normal. That LeadingLights favours those bean based pastas isabsolutely fine, but not necessarily reflective of most gluten free products.

Yes. The pedant in me is strong.

1662836215587.png

With respect, @Leadinglights stated that ".... gluten free pasta is likely to be very low carb, because I usually use edamame bean or black bean which is gluten free and low carb. ....".

My experience is most GF products are not based on edemamme or black bean based, and therefore not (or not much) lower carb than normal. That LeadingLights favours those bean based pastas isabsolutely fine, but not necessarily reflective of most gluten free products.

View attachment 22115
It was an incorrect assumption that the gluten free pasta used in catering would be lower carb than standard pasta.

View attachment 22115
Ah, sorry, I'd lost track of the beginning of the thread of the discussion!

20220910_204723.jpgi made my "lasagne"/"moussaka" tonight.

very yummy but I've not yet sat down and worked out carbs. (ETA approx 14g carbs per portion.)

I used 12% fat mince (because I got it for free through Olio) so added some lentils to bulk it up/reduce average fat. (The 16 year-old even ate some of the tomato based sauce with normal pasta, though did say the texture was gritty and added Mayo to make it more tolerable to them :rofl: . But even getting them to eat a sauce with lentils in counts as a big success imo.) For the cheese sauce I used reduced fat houmous (had some needing using up), light philadelphia cheese, milk and a few grams of Napolina grated cheese to add a stronger taste, and I sprinkled just a little mozzarella on top to melt.

20220910_204327.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I cooked chicken, beansprouts, mushrooms, carrots, baby sweetcorn, with tons of garlic, ginger and Teryaki sauce. Looks a bit of a mess but tasted really very good.

P1130953A.jpg

P1130959.jpg

Attachments

• 20220912_203249.jpg
    20220912_203249.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 6
Lunch was an egg sald but forgot the dressing 😱 Oh, the bicuits are sugar free ones i made from almond flour and ethrynol and egg #sugarfreelondoner for the recipe - are very nice too, similar texture as a viennese whirl.

1663073356599.png1663078009734.png

Last edited:
What delicious looking meals. I have invested in an Instant Pot Duo and IP Mini Vortex Air Fryer recently, thinking of energy costs etc. Things cook so much quicker using the IP. Cauli Fritters were pretty good, definitely need cheese added. Very naughty choc chip and redcurrant scones last picture. Gotta have some naughties 😛

Attachments

• Lunch6Jun18.jpg
    Lunch6Jun18.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 19
  • MoroccanLamb.png
    MoroccanLamb.png
    616.1 KB · Views: 18
  • MoroccanLambStew.png
    MoroccanLambStew.png
    682.2 KB · Views: 18
  • cauliFritters.jpg
    cauliFritters.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 19
  • RoastDinnerEaster2022.jpg
    RoastDinnerEaster2022.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ColourFish (641x800).jpg
    ColourFish (641x800).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 20
  • ChocChipRedCurrentScones.jpg
    ChocChipRedCurrentScones.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Roasted chickpeas, almonds and peanuts.

roast the chickpeas for about 7-10 mins. @ 180
add peanuts and almonds 7-10 mins

while hot add a few drops of oil paprika, chilli powder lemon juice mix up and coat well.

roast again for 3-5 mins
allow to cool on the tray for a bit before burning your face off because this are way too spicy and my face hurts.
also only make them in small quantities because they dont last very long due to the oil i think.

eat with chopsticks for 2 reasons.
1. it takes hours so these will last ages.
2. you dont get chilli on your finger and therefore dont get chilli in your eyes

nuts.jpg

Last edited:
Back