Food ideas with photos

Breakfast - egg "muffins" aka mini frittatas. Made these with spinach and red peppers. They did stick to the muffin tray a bit despite generous sprays of oil, and I don't want to use more oil. I've ordered some foil lined cupcake cases as a recipe I want to try for low carb cakes with coconut flour (as the recipe said they stick to paper ones) so might try them for these too.
Those look good

Testing out some food I haven't eaten for a bit. Now I have a meter I want to see how bad this is.
  • Battered fish. = 13g
    A sad amount of chips with a bit of cheese on 24g per 100, 50g = 12g
  • Peas 8g per 80g portion = 8g
  • 33g carbs according to the packaging and weighting everything.

Logged as 35g of carbs to include vinegar and Tabasco. I'm interested to see what this does in 2 hours and in the morning...

dinner20220907_182948447.jpg

Testing out some food I haven't eaten for a bit. Now I have a meter I want to see how bad this is.
  • Battered fish. = 13g

Logged as 35g of carbs to include vinegar and Tabasco. I'm interested to see what this does in 2 hours and in the morning...

View attachment 22088
I am interested to know where your battered fish is from at only 13g carb.

I am interested to know where your battered fish is from at only 13g carb.
From Lidl. Ocean sea. Battered cod. Although when I read your comment I was worried that I read the fat instead of carbs and calculated wrong like I did a couple of days ago.
Attached a photo of the box for you.

Edit that's a rubbish screenshot I've added another close up

Attachments

• fish pack.jpg
    fish pack.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220907-202414.png
    Screenshot_20220907-202414.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 24
Are they oven chips? Looks yummy. 'Sad amount of chips' made me chuckle 🙂
Yeah oven chips I think they are store brand, might have been mcCain not sure, whatever was delivered because it was a replacement to the oven chips I ordered. It really was a sad amount. I'm not hungry but do feel like I could of had a bit more of something but I don't want to ruin it with cake or biscuits because I want to see what this does and of I can have it more often.

• Battered fish. = 13g

View attachment 22088
🙂 Love fish and chips but have to be mushy peas and NO cheese on chips ( I dont' get it ) salt yes vinegar NO :( love the look of that fish 😛

🙂 Love fish and chips but have to be mushy peas and NO cheese on chips ( I dont' get it ) salt yes vinegar NO :( love the look of that fish 😛
mushy peas - no chance. mashed (normal) garden peas - acceptable
insert - Darth Vader's "I Find Your Lack of Vinegar Disturbing" meme.jpg
cheesy chips are great.

as far as that meal goes it wasnt great i woke up in the night feeling a bit faint/weak/dizzy so im going to wait a week and try it again but with more veg, broccoli kale or a side of salad as well.

i dont think it was filling enough for me, some of my other meals have been the same or smaller and some with even less carbs but have kept me full for longer.

blood sugar reading have been all good but its not a meal i felt good after. only just started feeling better now after i had breakfast around 9.

I had fried fish yesterday at a well known fish and chip restaurant locally. I was really impressed that they had the option of a salad instead of chips on the menu, so I had battered haddock with salad and it was delicious. The salad came with a tiny sprinkle of chopped strawberries and pomegranite seeds and mange tout and a single baby corn as well as the usual baby lettuce leaves and served with a mustard vinegrette dressing and I had lots of lovely tartare sauce with my fish. It was a real treat! Afraid I didn't stop to take a photo, but just thought I would mention it as I was really impressed with the salad option and presentation. I also had the choice of how the fish was prepared... battered, grilled or poached I think. I rarely eat out but I will be going back.

as far as that meal goes it wasnt great i woke up in the night feeling a bit faint/weak/dizzy so im going to wait a week and try it again but with more veg, broccoli kale or a side of salad as well.
It would have been really interesting if you had checked your BG levels when you woke up feeling rough. My levels are usually high when I feel like that through the night.

I know you think that portion of chips is small but I think that is because we have got used to ridiculously large portions. To me the portion of chips on your plate looks like a good size. On the very odd occasion when I have potato chips (as oppose to celeriac chips) I limit myself to 10 which looks to be about what you have there.

mushy peas - no chance. mashed (normal) garden peas - acceptable
insert - Darth Vader's "I Find Your Lack of Vinegar Disturbing" meme.jpg
cheesy chips are great.

i dont think it was filling enough for me, some of my other meals have been the same or smaller and some with even less carbs but have kept me full for longer.

blood sugar reading have been all good but its not a meal i felt good after. only just started feeling better now after i had breakfast around 9.
I make Macho peas similar to Nando's
Garden peas (half mashed, half whole)
bit red chilli
parsley and mint, salt and pepper
butter

It would have been really interesting if you had checked your BG levels when you woke up feeling rough. My levels are usually high when I feel like that through the night.

I know you think that portion of chips is small but I think that is because we have got used to ridiculously large portions. To me the portion of chips on your plate looks like a good size. On the very odd occasion when I have potato chips (as oppose to celeriac chips) I limit myself to 10 which looks to be about what you have there.
i did, the levels were fine. 5 something. hang on a second.
the portion of chips was small it was 50g, usually would have 2-3x that i reckon 75g would have been fine as a portion. maybe 3-4 more chips.

yesterday
6.0 before breakfast (13g carbs)
5.9 before lunch (32g carbs guess)
5.1 before dinner (35g carbs)
8.2 2hr after dinner (close to bed time so didnt do another bed time reading)
5.3 middle of the night (feeling rough)
5.4 today before breakfast (13g)
4.9 today before lunch (25-30g guess)

Last edited:
What the heck are Macho Peas?
they are the best peas. and a fantastic side dish from nandos. just garden peas that are slightly crushed/chopped and some whole but they are just seasoned so well. loads of fresh parsley fresh mint and flakes of fresh chilli.

not spicy just a hint of heat - well worth having or at least trying once.

@Leadinglights - i do the same make them at home, i even keep a few home grown chillies frozen whole to use for things like this.

i did, the levels were fine. 5 something. hang on a second.

yesterday
6.0 before breakfast (13g carbs)
5.9 before lunch (32g carbs guess)
5.1 before dinner (35g carbs)
8.2 2hr after dinner (close to bed time so didnt do another bed time reading)
5.3 middle of the night (feeling rough)
5.4 today before breakfast (13g)
4.9 today before lunch (25-30g guess)

They all look good. 🙂

For me, it has to be finely grated, preferably straight onto chips just out of the fryer, so the cheese cooks onto the chips and dries out.
It's a completely different taste.

Back