Food ideas with photos

Plus loads of veg. I went a bit overboard but clearing space in my cupboards and fridge for a shop coming today. I wont have much this evening, just some nuts and greek yoghurt maybe a 10 cal jelly 🙂 The weight loss seems to work better with 2 meals and a small snack meal in the evening 🙂

Does anyone have a carb friendly, low fat, low calorie recipe for moussaka, happy to have a veggie version if anyone can recommend one

My brother was a very fussy eater. He precooked the cauliflower, and saved the cooking liquid. He then melted some vintage strength cheddar (so he didn't need so much) into some of the cooking liquid. So no thickening agent and not much cheese. He poured this over the cauliflower, then put it under the grill to brown.
that sounds brilliant, just checking though as I have very high cholesterol is cheddar OK or should I look for a low fat version

Does anyone have a carb friendly, low fat, low calorie recipe for moussaka, happy to have a veggie version if anyone can recommend one
I don't have a tried and tested one, though when I searched for "low fat moussaka recipe" some came up which are pretty low carb also (no potato layer). I was planning on making pretty much that at some point this week, though maybe part courgette as well as the aubergine for the layers (though I was thinking of it in terms of "pasta free lasagne").

I think the main changes from more traditional recipes are:
- grill, bake or dry fry the aubergine slices rather than using oil to fry it
- use lentils or lower fat mince - probably easier to find for beef than lamb (I don't like lamb anyway) for the protein in the tomato based sauce
- use a lower carb/fat substitute for the cheese sauce - I was thinking of using some reduced fat soft cheese, but some of the recipes suggest 0% fat Greek yogurt made into a white/cheese sauce in various ways. Then maybe add some strong cheese so you don't need to add much if more cheese flavour needed e.g. parmesan

I don't have a tried and tested one, though when I searched for "low fat moussaka recipe" some came up which are pretty low carb also (no potato layer). I was planning on making pretty much that at some point this week, though maybe part courgette as well as the aubergine for the layers (though I was thinking of it in terms of "pasta free lasagne").

I think the main changes from more traditional recipes are:
- grill, bake or dry fry the aubergine slices rather than using oil to fry it
- use lentils or lower fat mince - probably easier to find for beef than lamb (I don't like lamb anyway) for the protein in the tomato based sauce
- use a lower carb/fat substitute for the cheese sauce - I was thinking of using some reduced fat soft cheese, but some of the recipes suggest 0% fat Greek yogurt made into a white/cheese sauce in various ways. Then maybe add some strong cheese so you don't need to add much if more cheese flavour needed e.g. parmesan
what about using olive oil to fry the aubergine slices, olive oil is good isnt it

Thanks by the way, im going to cook this on Wednesday so we can compare our findings

what about using olive oil to fry the aubergine slices, olive oil is good isnt it

Thanks by the way, im going to cook this on Wednesday so we can compare our findings
Olive oil is a healthier oil, so you could do that too depending how low fat you want it

Chorizo, courgette & pepper, with a teeny tiny omelette to use up some leftover egg from making bacon &egg "cups" for breakfast. I had it with a pack of twiglets for a few carbs and some B vitamins. No oil in the frying pan, I just put the chorizo in first to release some of its fat (and make sure it crisped up cos I like it crispy!).
20220904_191409.jpg

that sounds brilliant, just checking though as I have very high cholesterol is cheddar OK or should I look for a low fat version
Tricky one. The stronger the cheese, the less you need. And I believe current thinking is that cholesterol is more a function of the liver and diet has less effect than originally thought. Have you been prescribed statins? I tried several of them over an 18 month period but had such severe side effects I was taken off them. Not a placebo or nocebo effect, but an actual physical reaction with another medical condition I have, which took 9 months to recover. I now take a cholesterol lowering mini drink every day, which bought down my cholesterol from 7+ to between 5.2 and 6.

The bacon & egg "cups"!

4 laid out here for the photo (smaller plates were all in the dishwasher), I'll actually only have 2 for a meal

20220904_210843.jpg

Homemade chicken curry with cauliflower rice and a garlic naan for last nights dinner and was gorgy 🙂 didnt even raise my BS either yeah!
Greek yoghurt, rasperries and bluberrries for brekky 🙂

Attachments

• 1662364555701.png
    1662364555701.png
    609 KB · Views: 15
  • 1662364685229.png
    1662364685229.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Breakfast - egg "muffins" aka mini frittatas. Made these with spinach and red peppers. They did stick to the muffin tray a bit despite generous sprays of oil, and I don't want to use more oil. I've ordered some foil lined cupcake cases as a recipe I want to try for low carb cakes with coconut flour (as the recipe said they stick to paper ones) so might try them for these too.
Have you tried the reusable silicon muffin cases? This is what I use all the time now. I haven't found anything that sticks to them and there is no waste.

Tricky one. The stronger the cheese, the less you need. And I believe current thinking is that cholesterol is more a function of the liver and diet has less effect than originally thought. Have you been prescribed statins? I tried several of them over an 18 month period but had such severe side effects I was taken off them. Not a placebo or nocebo effect, but an actual physical reaction with another medical condition I have, which took 9 months to recover. I now take a cholesterol lowering mini drink every day, which bought down my cholesterol from 7+ to between 5.2 and 6.

The current thinking seems to be that while cholesterol in food isn't directly absorbed, it stimulates the body to over produce it's own cholesterol.
So the effect is high cholesterol either way.
The odd few may disagree sometimes.

Having said that, I just loaded up on sausage, egg, and bacon 🙂

IMG_20220905_091811_1~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dry fry them or oven bake.
The sauce is a bechamel, so doesn't specifically need cheese.
I'd just leave out the potatoes, use a plain sauce, pre fry the mince and drain off the fat, and if I still wanted the cheese hit, grate a small amount of low fat cheese over the top right at the end of the cooking, just melt it on top, and use the smell and sight of the cheese to boost the taste.

I cook aubergine in the microwave.
Cut into slices, place onto kitchen roll in the microwave and cook on full power until the slices start to "wither"(about 8 minutes).

There is no need for any oil.

Ok had an early start today so breakfast of berries and Greek yoghurt with my benecol drink for breakfast at 7am and vegetable mousaka with sprouts for lunch at 11am. Dinner will be at 4 so I have a long fasting window xx8C38C00B-B059-4597-8C7C-76C5E33A4AC1.jpeg9E6F1A9F-A217-457F-B1D7-98C9FC3DBF94.jpeg

My plate looks a bit messy as not good at serving up. The lunch was 31 carbs and breakfast 34 carbs my calorie intake so far is 629. Have a good day x

Ok had an early start today so breakfast of berries and Greek yoghurt with my benecol drink for breakfast at 7am and vegetable mousaka with sprouts for lunch at 11am. Dinner will be at 4 so I have a long fasting window xxView attachment 22052View attachment 22053
I'm struggling to see how your bowl of fruit and yoghurt would be 34g carb, strawberries are pretty low carb and not much in the yoghurt. What was the effect on your blood glucose?

I'm struggling to see how your bowl of fruit and yoghurt would be 34g carb, strawberries are pretty low carb and not much in the yoghurt. What was the effect on your blood glucose?
May be the grapes? Also can I see blueberries?

Lunch today was mini sausagemeatballs in tomato & yellow pepper sauce, served on wilted spinach. I had a pack of twiglets and 6 dark chocolate buttons too
20220905_134944.jpg

Then tea was a chicken salad, chicken was pre-packed from Tesco so had some carbs in the seasoning. Apple was a late addition hence being on top of the chicken and the vincotto dressing! (Had forgotten I had one!)

20220905_205523.jpg

Lunch was 40g carbs and tea 29g

Back