Food ideas with photos

I went to the Victorian Tearooms for the Pensioners Lunch, with 2 friends on Wednesday, and had a lovely home made cottage pie with fresh vegetables. I thoroughly enjoyed it so it prompted me to make my own at home. I made 6 servings of pie, plus had 2 servings of savoury mince left over.

1556 cals, 73.1gm carbs of which 42.6gm sugars, 5.7 of my 5-a-day

B: Poached eggs, grilled bacon, tomatoes, toast (21.9gm carbs)

L: Ham and cottage cheese salad(8.2gm carbs)

D: Savoury mince, cauliflower cheese, peas, leeks, broccoli, fine beans (25.9gm carbs)

S: Peppermint tea

Plus: Semi skimmed milk, cholesterol lowering drink and Fybogel (17.0gm carbs)

Funnily enough, I was brought up on mince, all versions , as I am Scottish and mince is more Scottish than English I think. I make cottage pie every week for my Market, DH likes it but not in this weather. I'm not vegan, I just don't care much for meat although we are having chicken tonight, BBQ . ...could be that I can't be bothered cooking. I do like ostrich steaks though. Both cooked, one for dinner and the other sliced cold with salad next day.

The protein requirement is 0.8g protein per kg of (ideal) body weight. I’ve just written down what Rip eats for breakfast from a video where he busts the ‘vegans can’t get enough protein’ myth:
Berry Almond cereal, soya milk, a banana, frozen berry mix, walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, one kiwi. That totals 41g protein! His whole day’s meals adds up to 110g protein.

While broccoli alone won’t provide all your protein, broccoli, fruit, greens, pulses, nuts, grains, cereals, seeds, etc etc easily can.
Unless there's an issue with gluten or soy, the big-ticket options are Tofu, TVP and Seitan. They ca be very cheap, if sourced correctly (and dependent on effort), they're very adaptable and they pack a decent protein punch 🙂

Tempeh too. I heard it had almost double the protein of tofu. I’ve only eaten it a couple of times when out as I’ve never seen it in the shops locally.
Yes! Forgot about tempeh (Have some on the fridge). It's a few grams off being double the protein. But I think it's perhaps a bit more of an acquired taste, and very dependent on the brand. It's not something I've had often, but would like to have more of it.

Not sure what country you're in, but if it's not in shops you might find it in an online healthfood or vegan store.

Another salad, it suits the summery weather we have today. Canned potatoes, tomatoes, tuna, boiled egg and black olives. Aprox 25g of carbs for that portion of potatoes, I didn't count the rest.
IMG_20240727_172740.jpg

20240728_125726.jpg
Mixed salad leaves, orange cherry tomatoes and red plum tomatoes, falafel, houmous and a little salsa. A little under 30g carbs in the falafel, didn't check the houmous pot

Tuna nicoise and something else ? Calprese????? All I need now is France and Lake Garda .........sigh!!!!!!

1011 cals, 57.4gm carbs of which 35.7gm sugars, 3.9 of my 5-a-day

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.1gm carbs)

L: Poached egg, grilled bacon, tomatoes, toast (12.8gm carbs)

D: Savoury mince, cauliflower cheese, broccoli (18.4gm carbs)

S: Peppermint tea

E: Aquafit

Plus: Semi skimmed milk, cholesterol lowering drink and Fybogel (17.0gm carbs)

My salad for lunch today....

Half a bag of babyleaf lettuce, 2 inches of cucumber, 3 cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, a little sweet red pepper chopped, roast chicken breast and a bit if blue stilton and a big dollop of cheese coleslaw. Probably 15-20g carbs.

IMG_20240729_135419613_HDR.jpg

Mine was some red pepper homous, roasted tomatoes, mozzarella balls in green pesto, coleslaw and chicken scraps from last night, and one spoon of Hellman's. There is enough for tomorrows lunch. No picture, sorry and did not count carbs. Dinner will be one ostrich steak with Cauliflower and parmesan cheese and maybe some carrots. Yoghurt that needs using and mixed berry.

I had fried eggs (2), lg can Tuna, 1/4 red onion and melted some grated cheese over. It was all I had in. Too much protein by far I should suppose?

Today's menu is much the same as yesterday, except I'll be having chicken cacciatore instead of savoury mince!

Mine was some red pepper homous, roasted tomatoes, mozzarella balls in green pesto, coleslaw and chicken scraps from last night, and one spoon of Hellman's. There is enough for tomorrows lunch. No picture, sorry and did not count carbs. Dinner will be one ostrich steak with Cauliflower and parmesan cheese and maybe some carrots. Yoghurt that needs using and mixed berry.
If you shop at Costco then their frozen ostrich burgers are good.

I agree with@Leadinglights on that one.The frozen ostrich burgers from Costco are absolutely delicious.

Not seen them but I will look next time, I buy mine in Tesco. Lunch today is the last of the chicken scraps and some cold green beans in home made coronation sauce without the sultanas. Chicken carcasses in the freezer so I think I've had my money's worth .

I had the same salad as yesterday because the chicken and bag of salad needed using up and actually I enjoyed it even more today than I did yesterday. My chicken carcass is in the pan making stock for soup and I still have a leg and thigh and a whole breast left of the chicken, so might need another bag of lettuce for more salads especially if this hot weather continues. Not sure what my plans are for the remaining leg/thigh yet. Maybe a creamy sauce with mushrooms and onions and a dash of wine. Might even push the boat out and treat myself to a couple of new potatoes with it.

Back