Food ideas with photos

I love salads, especially in a bowl, and could happily eat all of the above. The problem is that I like the salad bits but just struggle with the protein. Have no objections to tuna, cheese and the rest but cannot be bothered adding them when I have a bowl of veggie goodness. As for eggs, in all shapes, even blown up in the air fryer. However, keeping lower carb means I know I am not eating enough protein as my meals are salady.
Do you like raw vegetables? I like raw broccoli in little florets on a salad. Broccoli is very high in protein. Many veggies, salad leaves etc., have protein in them. I find I usually end up eating more protein than I need just eating veg. Also pulses are lovely on a salad 🙂

Broccoli is very high in protein.
Can you clarify this statement because I think it is misleading.
Broccoli is only 2-3g protein per 100g which means it is pretty low in protein.

Can you clarify this statement because I think it is misleading.
Broccoli is only 2-3g protein per 100g which means it is pretty low in protein.
What I'm trying to say is if you add up over a day all the green veg etc., you can easily get enough protein. Obviously not just broccoli

What I'm trying to say is if you add up over a day all the green veg etc., you can easily get enough protein. Obviously not just broccoli
I am afraid there are very few people who would eat enough green veg every day to get sufficient protein from it. You would need to eat several heads of broccoli to get 50-60g protein because 400g broccoli which is about one head is only going to get you 12-16g protein.
I think your post could be a bit misleading for people, which is why I am making a point of clarifying it.

I know this is too much fruit but it was delicious. I guess this is twice as much as I am allowed. I think there was mango in here which is forbidden too.
It's so sad that the prevailing messaging in the diabetes world is to avoid these tasty and healthy (yes, even for diabetics) foods.

I am afraid there are very few people who would eat enough green veg every day to get sufficient protein from it. You would need to eat several heads of broccoli to get 50-60g protein because 400g broccoli which is about one head is only going to get you 12-16g protein.
I think your post could be a bit misleading for people, which is why I am making a point of clarifying it.
It's how I eat every day and I am not low on protein. As I said, I Don't just eat broccoli! I eat loads of green veg and pulses. I'm sure that most people don't choose to eat this way. My point is that people often don't realise they are eating protein when they eat salad, veg etc. That's why I am making my point.

Oh dear, did not mean to be controversial and although I like broccoli........not that much!!! I think what I was trying to say that I like salad, eat fish, most veg and legume type things, I am not that keen on meat and am finding the protein side of things difficult. As with a lot of T2, I was NOT a huge carb eater before this all started am finding it hard now that the initial rush has died down. I am watching what I eat but trying to add in more nutrients but getting nowhere just now. Don't ask about the B12!!!!!!!?

Oh dear, did not mean to be controversial and although I like broccoli........not that much!!! I think what I was trying to say that I like salad, eat fish, most veg and legume type things, I am not that keen on meat and am finding the protein side of things difficult. As with a lot of T2, I was NOT a huge carb eater before this all started am finding it hard now that the initial rush has died down. I am watching what I eat but trying to add in more nutrients but getting nowhere just now. Don't ask about the B12!!!!!!!?
If you're not so keen on meat, there're various plant-proteins, and ways of using them that can help.

It's how I eat every day and I am not low on protein. As I said, I Don't just eat broccoli! I eat loads of green veg and pulses. I'm sure that most people don't choose to eat this way. My point is that people often don't realise they are eating protein when they eat salad, veg etc. That's why I am making my point.

Yes, a balanced vegan diet (are you vegan?) can provide enough protein 🙂 Most people eat too much protein anyway. As Rip Esselstyn asks, how many people do you know that have been hospitalised with protein deficiency in the last year?

The protein requirement is 0.8g protein per kg of (ideal) body weight. I’ve just written down what Rip eats for breakfast from a video where he busts the ‘vegans can’t get enough protein’ myth:
Berry Almond cereal, soya milk, a banana, frozen berry mix, walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, one kiwi. That totals 41g protein! His whole day’s meals adds up to 110g protein.

While broccoli alone won’t provide all your protein, broccoli, fruit, greens, pulses, nuts, grains, cereals, seeds, etc etc easily can.

Yes, a balanced vegan diet (are you vegan?) can provide enough protein 🙂 Most people eat too much protein anyway. As Rip Esselstyn asks, how many people do you know that have been hospitalised with protein deficiency in the last year?
I'm eating mainly vegan since my very recent diagnosis. I'm really enjoying the challenge. I'm using the Nutracheck app which makes it so easy to see what I need more or less of. Everyday so far protein has easily been more than I require.

I'm eating mainly vegan since my very recent diagnosis. I'm really enjoying the challenge. I'm using the Nutracheck app which makes it so easy to see what I need more or less of. Everyday so far protein has easily been more than I require.

We eat mostly vegetarian in our household. We were vegan for a while, and began to get used to adding edamame beans, and tofu in various guises, along with mycoproteins, pulses, nutritional yeasts, and nuts and seeds to things.

They soon added up and were very tasty! (And I found them BG friendly)

Interestingly I hadn’t clocked broccoli as being one of the higher protein veggies, but I note it was included in this list

Although all fruits and vegetables contain protein, some contain more than others.

Vegetables with the most protein include broccoli,Trusted Source spinach, asparagus, artichokesTrusted Source, potatoes, sweet potatoesTrusted Source, and Brussels sprouts, which typically contain 4–5 g of protein per cooked cup.

We eat mostly vegetarian in our household. We were vegan for a while, and began to get used to adding edamame beans, and tofu in various guises, along with mycoproteins, pulses, nutritional yeasts, and nuts and seeds to things.

They soon added up and were very tasty! (And I found them BG friendly)

Interestingly I hadn’t clocked broccoli as being one of the higher protein veggies, but I note it was included in this list

Although all fruits and vegetables contain protein, some contain more than others.

Vegetables with the most protein include broccoli,Trusted Source spinach, asparagus, artichokesTrusted Source, potatoes, sweet potatoesTrusted Source, and Brussels sprouts, which typically contain 4–5 g of protein per cooked cup.

Thankyou, yes I love edamame beans, always add nutritional yest to boost B12. I'm really enjoying my new regime and have lost weight so all good new 🙂

I'm watching protein levels to be kind to my kidneys. I can get over 20g just from the average amount of milk I drink in a day (coffees included).
I actually reduce the amount of meat or fish in a meal as I aim for the minimum protein recommended.

I use pasta made from edamame beans or black beans, it is much lower carb then wheat pasta. Good to know they are a B12 boost.
I don't know if those pastas have higher B12, it was the nutritional flakes I was referring to. I will try those pastas soon. I've had the ones made with yellow split peas; very nice.

I don't know if those pastas have higher B12, it was the nutritional flakes I was referring to. I will try those pastas soon. I've had the ones made with yellow split peas; very nice.
The bean ones are much lower carb than the pea od lentil based ones wic are only slightly lower than wheat ones.

Havent tried chickpeas in a salad yet. Might try that one.
I find them a good option to substitute (or combine with) animal protein. When I lived with my parents we used to have bean salad with just white beans (cannellini or similar) , tomato, cucumber and tuna. I like the same combo with chickpeas, that's another you could try. My parents liked to add vinegar (I'm not a fan).

Back