Food ideas with photos

Have had a couple of days batch cooking so will have a nice full freezer. Today is going to be chicken, pepper and tomatoes in the slow cooker.

974 cals, 68.6gm carbs of which 41.8gm sugars, 4.9of my 5-a-day

B: Oatibix with unsweetened almond milk (15.9gm carbs)

L: Chickestrone soup (10.4gm carbs)

D: Pork casserole, carrots, sweetcorn, peas, cauliflower cheese (24.3gm carbs)

S: Peppermint tea

Plus: Semi skimmed milk, cholesterol lowering drink and Fybogel (17.0gm carbs)

Sausage casserole.jpg

Last edited:
1059 cals, 75.4gm carbs of which 53.6gm sugars, 6.5of my 5-a-day

B: Caffe latte shake (21.4gm carbs)

L: Salmon salad (13.2gm carbs)

D: Chicken and pepper casserole, sweetcorn, peas, cauliflower cheese, broccoli (22.8gm carbs)

Chicken and pepper casserole.jpg

no proper recipe, I made it up as the chicken was cooking ...
fry off some chopped chicken
add in some butternut squash (dinged in microwave first)
add in some cauliflower (dinged in microwave first)
throw in some red pesto, some soft cheese to make the coating sauce (i used the lightest version of Philadelphia)
add salt, pepper, paprika and ginger to taste
View attachment 30857
Using the philidelphia type soft cheese to make a cheat sauce is working very well 🙂
I did another version today ...
chicken, butternut squash, cauli, mushroom and yellow pepper
this time with a green pesto, with extra basil and oregano,
some philidelphia, and some grated cheese (I used 50% fat cheese)
I threw in some mild green tabasco as well, but got a lil enthusiastic with that.
It's bit hot for me, but still good ... no pic, I ate it!

I normally have more veggies as part of my lunch

1316 cals, 75.2gm carbs of which 40.3gm sugars, 3.5 of my 5-a-day

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.1gm carbs)

L: 6 oz beefburger, small wholemeal roll, tbsp reduced salt and sugar tomato ketchup (29.8gm carbs)

D: Chicken and pepper casserole, cabbage, peas, cauliflower cheese (1.3gm carbs)

E: Aquafit

1131 cals, 80.0gm carbs of which 39.2gm sugars, 4.3 of my 5-a-day

B: Boiled eggs and soldiers (17.9gm carbs)

L: HM Chickestrone soup (17.7gm carbs)

D: Chicken and pepper casserole, 2 baby potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower cheese (27.3gm carbs)

I was supposed to go to aquafit this morning, but my tummy is a bit iffy. Also I have a back appointment, so it would have been a bit of a rush to get back, shower, and go to a totally different town!

948 cals, 72.8gm carbs of which 37.6gm sugars, 1.9 of my 5-a-day (according to the app which has ignored the planned veggies in my stir fry!)

B: Poached eggs on toast (17.9gm carbs)

L: HM Chickestrone soup (17.7gm carbs)

D: Chicken and vegetables stir fry, beansprouts (instead of rice) (20.3gm carbs)

I've been taking pictures of my meals for several years now - something I got into the habit of, from wanting to show my diabetic nurse what I was eating. I scroll through the gallery from time to time to give myself ideas.
As I live alone I tend to have the same thing in the main for several days, to use up what I have. I just get the protein out of the freezer first thing. Having said that, today will be different, as I feel very bloated and my tummy is a bit off. This is what I plan today (pictures from the last time I had this.) Exante made with water for breakfast and lunch (I can't exercise on a full tummy so always have one of these before going to the pool. Prawn salad for tea, where I'll swap the cottage cheese (none in fridge) for 2 new potatoes. I'll also have an easy peeler tangerine. 853 cals, 92.1gm carbs, 24gm fat, 9gm sat fat. Slightly over on my daily carbs due to the potato and tangerine.

View attachment 21912View attachment 21913
What is Exante please?

What is Exante please?
It was a powder form shake that was very popular. Unfortunately the company went bust!!! There are other shakes on the market. I now get Tesco Slim Shakes, which I make with 2/3 water and 1/3 unsweetened almond milk (it reduces the carb value from the quoted make up with 100% skimmed milk). I also use Protein Works (off the internet) but it's more expensive. The shakes are for before exercise, otherwise I eat proper meals.

It was a powder form shake that was very popular. Unfortunately the company went bust!!! There are other shakes on the market. I now get Tesco Slim Shakes, which I make with 2/3 water and 1/3 unsweetened almond milk (it reduces the carb value from the quoted make up with 100% skimmed milk). I also use Protein Works (off the internet) but it's more expensive. The shakes are for before exercise, otherwise I eat proper meals.
Thankyou x

Busy day today. Boiler man is coming for the annual service, then this afternoon the landscaper is coming to repair and concrete in my back steps and garden gate post. Nice day for it, as it's already gloriously sunny and warm.

900 cals, 84.9gm carbs of which 38.8gm sugars, 0 of my 5-a-day (according to the app which has ignored the planned veggies in my stir fry and corn in my soup!!!)

B: Poached egg, sausage and toast (10.3gm carbs)

L: Chicken and sweetcorn soup (21.7gm carbs)

D: Chicken and vegetables (green peppers, mushrooms, carrots, onion) stir fry, noodles (38.2gm carbs)

Roasting a gammon joint today, for a change.

1089 cals, 77.4gm carbs of which 40.9gm sugars, 2.4 of my 5-a-day (according to the app which has ignored the M&S salad!!!)

B: Boiled eggs and soldiers (17.9gm carbs)

L: Gammon and tomato salad (9.3gm carbs)

D: Teriyaki chicken, baby potatoes, cabbage, carrots, peas, sweetcorn (34.2gm carbs)

1067 cals, 68.8gm carbs of which 47.1gm sugars, 4.4 of my 5-a-day

B: Cafe latte shake (21.4gm carbs)

L: Gammon and tomato salad (5.3gm carbs)

D: Chicken leg, cauliflower cheese, cabbage, carrots, peas, sweetcorn (25.5gm carbs)

E: Aquafit

1206 cals, 63.2gm carbs of which 36.1gm sugars, 3.8 of my 5-a-day (plus the cauliflower, which my app didn't record)

B: Poached egg, bacon, baked beans (8.9gm carbs)

L: Chicken and sweetcorn soup(18.3gm carbs)

D: Gammon and pineapple, cauliflower cheese, cabbage, carrots, peas, sweetcorn (18.3gm carbs)

20240723_134045.jpg

This is the salad I had 2 of the 3 days I was in work this week - lettuce is a prepared pack of butterhead salad, mixed cherry/ plum tomatoes, cucumber chunks, fresh pepper slices, some preserved jarred grilled peppers (in oil and drizzled a little of the oil over for dressing - bought from Aldi or Lidl) plus 60g Red Fox smoked red Leicester cheese. I was going to have similar but more lettuce and not the fresh pepper yesterday but forgot to take my new bag of butterhead lettuce into work, so just had tomatoes and cucumber and cheese

This is the salad I have every work day. It is spinach (lasts longer in fridge), olives, cucumber, tomato, spring onions, bolied egg, mayonnaise, walnuts/pecans/seeds ,chicken/tuna and Morrisons Best feta cheese, red pepper, radish and too much olive oil. Its great and hardly raises BG. No salt or pepper. Its best eaten out of the plastic box 4 hours after its made. It doesnt taste the same in a fresh bowl. Eaten with half pint of water. I love it.
Every work day salad.jpg

It looks like salads are popular today! Here is mine: lettuce, tomato, chickpeas and sweetcorn. Could do with some cucumber and olives. I've been eating chickpea salads with a homemade yoghurt dressing, but today the only yogurt I have at home is peach flavoured and I'm not quite that adventurous! So I just used olive oil, salt and dried Italian herbs. A bit simple but still nice.

Followed by 70g of cherries. I don't usually weigh my food but I'm currently taking notes of my carbs and insulin doses to see if they need some adjustments. I have my scientist hat on!
IMG_20240726_153052.jpg

It looks like salads are popular today! Here is mine: lettuce, tomato, chickpeas and sweetcorn. Could do with some cucumber and olives. I've been eating chickpea salads with a homemade yoghurt dressing, but today the only yogurt I have at home is peach flavoured and I'm not quite that adventurous! So I just used olive oil, salt and dried Italian herbs. A bit simple but still nice.

Followed by 70g of cherries. I don't usually weigh my food but I'm currently taking notes of my carbs and insulin doses to see if they need some adjustments. I have my scientist hat on!
View attachment 31052

I love salads, especially in a bowl, and could happily eat all of the above. The problem is that I like the salad bits but just struggle with the protein. Have no objections to tuna, cheese and the rest but cannot be bothered adding them when I have a bowl of veggie goodness. As for eggs, in all shapes, even blown up in the air fryer. However, keeping lower carb means I know I am not eating enough protein as my meals are salady.

Back