Food ideas with photos

Back from a lovely holiday in Sicily with all that lovely food!! Pasta, risotto, gnocci, fresh fish (although I passed on the octopus!), arancini, cannoli. So now I must be VERY good!!

Nightmare journey home though - I forgot it was Bank Holiday. Both the M5 and A38 were more like a large car park. Also there was a problem with the airport buses to the Silver Zone car park. I landed at 1.40pm and would normally be home by 4.30-5.00. It was 8pm when I finally got home. It took 90 minutes to crawl the first 15 miles.

1272 cals, 128.7gm carbs of which 65.0gm sugars

B: Apple cinnamon almond shake (20.5gm carbs)

L: Tomato soup (27.2gm carbs)

D: Red pepper and potato omelette, salad (51.3gm carbs)

S: 2 squares dark chocolate (12.7gm carbs)

Plus: Semi skimmed milk, cholesterol lowering drink and Fybogel (17.0gm carbs)
well done not easy after a holiday

1494cals, 88.3gm carbs of which 47.0gm sugars

B: Grilled sausages, bacon, tomato (25.05gm carbs)

L: HM Yellow soup with chopped chicken (26.4gm carbs)

D: Teriyaki salmon, salad (24.4gm carbs)

E: Ironing

1494cals, 88.3gm carbs of which 47.0gm sugars

B: Grilled sausages, bacon, tomato (25.05gm carbs)

L: HM Yellow soup with chopped chicken (26.4gm carbs)

D: Teriyaki salmon, salad (24.4gm carbs)

E: Ironing

E: Not extreme ironing then 🙂

1624cals, 114.6gm carbs of which 63.2gm sugars

B: Grilled sausages, bacon, tomatoes (27.9gm carbs)

L: HM tomato, red pepper and squash soup, with chopped chicken (30.4gm carbs)

D: Teriyaki salmon, salad, 2 mini potatoes (39.6gm carbs)

E: Gardening

Last edited:
1560cals, 123.6gm carbs of which 55.0gm sugars

B: Poached eggs on toast (17.8gm carbs)

L: HM tomato, red pepper and squash soup, with chopped chicken (30.4gm carbs)

D: Crustless quiche, salad (58.7gm carbs)

E: Aquafit

1518cals, 114.2gm carbs of which 48.2gm sugars

B: Hawaiian granola with unsweetened almond milk (27.7gm carbs)

L: Poached egg, grilled bacon and mushrooms, toast (18.0gm carbs)

D: Crustless quiche, salad (51.9gm carbs)

Being very good today after my birthday pig-out yesterday!!

984cals, 67.0gm carbs of which 37.0gm sugars

B: Poached eggs on toast (17.8gm carbs)

L: Chickestrone soup (10.9gm carbs)

D: Chicken, salad (21.6gm carbs)

Feeling a bit under the weather today with a headache. But it doesn't affect my appetite!! :confused:

1558cals, 76.6gm carbs of which 41.1gm sugars

B: Chocolate almond shake (9.1gm carbs)

L: Grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes with a dry fried egg (3.0gm carbs)

D: Teriyaki salmon, baked potato with coleslaw, sliced cucumber (47.9gm carbs)

Making a slow cooker pork, mushroom and tomato casserole today, ready for tomorrow

922cals, 74.1gm carbs of which 47.0gm sugars

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.1gm carbs)

L: Tuna salad (9.0gm carbs)

D: Beef casserole, peas, leeks, carrots, sprouts, 2 baby potatoes (39.4gm carbs)

1007cals, 73.3gm carbs of which 35.7gm sugars

B: Boiled egg and soldiers(17.8gm carbs)

L: Corned beef salad (7.0gm carbs)

D: Gammon steak and apple, carrots, sprouts, 3 baby potatoes (31.8gm carbs)

Last edited:
1046cals, 80.5gm carbs of which 45.7gm sugars

B: Grilled bacon, sausage, tomatoes (17.6gm carbs)

L: Red pepper, mushroom and tomato soup (8.8gm carbs)

D: Gammon steak and apple, carrots, sprouts, peas, leeks, 3 baby potatoes (38.0gm carbs) (didn't have it yesterday)

1717931150958.jpeg
In an hour and 15 mins this morning I made, from scratch, a batch of coleslaw that will last me all week and a big pot of bolognaisy sauce, one portion for tea tonight and another five in the freezer. As you can see I have had some of the coleslaw with lunch - the slaw is of carrot,onion celery and white cabbage and the mayonnaise is flavoured with mustard and lemon juice - and it is not bad and in a different class to the shop stuff.

OK, I like cooking, not bad at it even if I say so myself, and have some kit, but that just meant I could do things quickly and have the confidence to do things without formal recipes. All at a fraction of the supermarket cost for coleslaw or the restaurant price of the sauce.

I'm only posting this to encourage others to have a go. It's very difficult to make anything that is actually inedible, and, you never know, you might surprise yourself. And you know what has gone into it if you are trying to work to a controlled diet.

Last edited:
1100cals, 86.7gm carbs of which 49.5gm sugars

B: Chocolate almond shake (9.1gm carbs)

L: Red pepper, mushroom and tomato soup with croutons (17.7gm carbs)

D: Pork casserole, carrots, sprouts, peas, leeks, 3 baby potatoes (43.9gm carbs)

Mushroom tomato and pepper soup with croutons.jpg

Last edited:
1123cals, 73.5gm carbs of which 36.2gm sugars

B: Grilled bacon, sausage, tomato, poached egg, toast (15.3gm carbs)

L: Slice of ham on toast (9.2gm carbs)

D: Roast beef, carrots, cauliflower cheese, 3 baby potatoes (29.3gm carbs)

S: 5 strawberries

As you can see I have had some of the coleslaw with lunch - the slaw is of carrot,onion celery and white cabbage and the mayonnaise is flavoured with mustard and lemon juice - and it is not bad and in a different class to the shop stuff.
I too make my own coleslaw and completely agree it is in a different class to the shop stuff.
I do not understand how the factories make coleslaw so slimy. Home made version is much fresher and cleaner and so easy.

I too make my own coleslaw and completely agree it is in a different class to the shop stuff.
I do not understand how the factories make coleslaw so slimy. Home made version is much fresher and cleaner and so easy.
I think making your own mayonnaise has got a lot to do with it....simple egg yolk and oil emulsion with some sharp flavouring - mustard with vinegar or lemon juice. Once you have the knack it is amazingly quick and easy, almost magical.. No emulsifiers, stabilisers or any of that sort of stuff which is needed if you cut down on the oil and egg and use water to bulk it out.

I think making your own mayonnaise has got a lot to do with it....simple egg yolk and oil emulsion with some sharp flavouring - mustard with vinegar or lemon juice. Once you have the knack it is amazingly quick and easy, almost magical.. No emulsifiers, stabilisers or any of that sort of stuff which is needed if you cut down on the oil and egg and use water to bulk it out.
To be honest, I cheat on the mayo front. I still use Helmans' but with fresh vegetables in it (and possibly less mayo), the texture of home made coleslaw is much crisp and fresher.
One of these days (maybe when I have an egg yolk left over from making meringue), I will give the mayo making a go.

I like the coleslaw made with yogurt rather than mayo. This morning we are off to the garden centre for coffee and plants. The gardener is supposed to come this afternoon to finish the jet washing, and cut back the overgrowth behind the fence. But with thunderstorms predicted, I suspect he will opt for safety and stay away!!

1030 cals, 63.8gm carbs of which 39.8gm sugars

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.3gm carbs)

L: Grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomato, poached egg (2.6gm carbs)

D: Roast lamb, carrots, cauliflower cheese, 3 baby potatoes, mint gravy (32.5gm carbs)

I like the coleslaw made with yogurt rather than mayo. This morning we are off to the garden centre for coffee and plants. The gardener is supposed to come this afternoon to finish the jet washing, and cut back the overgrowth behind the fence. But with thunderstorms predicted, I suspect he will opt for safety and stay away!!

1030 cals, 63.8gm carbs of which 39.8gm sugars

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.3gm carbs)

L: Grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomato, poached egg (2.6gm carbs)

D: Roast lamb, carrots, cauliflower cheese, 3 baby potatoes, mint gravy (32.5gm carbs)

We had some jet washing of our paving unfortunately what came off the paving was all over the fence, the plants, the windows. What a mess. Never again.

Back