Food ideas with photos

Got my HbA1c results and I'm thrilled. I've dropped from 69mmol/mol to 53mmol/mol. So clearly the discipline of posting every day has worked. I don't think I need to worry about being put on insulin, which is what I was threatened with last time. Also all my renal functions are back in the normal ranges.
Two reasons for the high carbs today: I hadn't had an Oatibix for months, and had just one, with 130ml skimmed milk and 10 dark cherries. I enjoyed it, but at 35gm carbs I won't be having it again any time soon. Secondly I have the plumber in my kitchen, so had a supermarket sandwich for lunch - the pasta salad alternative or sushi were all equally high!

1247cals, 136.8gm carbs of which 34.8gm sugars

B: 1 Oatibix with 130ml skimmed milk and 10 cherries
L: Chicken and bacon salad sandwich
D: Liver and bacon, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, broccoli, carrots
Many congratulations on an excellent HbA1c reduction. So pleased your dedication is paying off. Well done!

Back on the straight and narrow today. Aiming now for pre-diabetes or better at the next review.

1309cals, 82.0gm carbs of which 34.7gm sugars

B: Scrambled egg on toast
L: Grilled sausage, bacon and tomatoes
D: Liver and bacon, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, broccoli, carrots

Ok one from me...my latest creation... fed 2 people for 4 days...Steak and Kidney and Potato pie. It was delicious. My own pastry too (a first for me). A bit high in calories and carbs. 1 serving (ish) 334 cals and 26g carbs (50g beef, 25g kidney, 75g potato, 20g pastry and a gravy)

Steak and Kidney and Potato Pie.jpg

As I always say...presentation is everything. Oh, cobblers to that...just eat eat eat. Great

Ok one from me...my latest creation... fed 2 people for 4 days...Steak and Kidney and Potato pie. It was delicious. My own pastry too (a first for me). A bit high in calories and carbs. 1 serving (ish) 334 cals and 26g carbs (50g beef, 25g kidney, 75g potato, 20g pastry and a gravy)

View attachment 25144

As I always say...presentation is everything. Oh, cobblers to that...just eat eat eat. Great
Now you have given me an idea, cheese and herb cobblers made with almond flour for the top of a 'pie'.

Episode 5 of the cauliflower and sweetcorn pie!

1479cals, 89.2gm carbs of which 36.2gm sugars

B: Mocha Exante
L: Grilled sausage, bacon and mushrooms
D: Mushroom Kyiv, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, peas, carrots
E: Aquafit

View attachment 25144

Looks superb.
Pie making day today here as well. 🙂

The cauliflower and sweetcorn pie finally comes to an end!

1451cals, 73.1gm carbs of which 27.0gm sugars

B: Boiled egg and soldiers
D: Roast lamb, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, mixed frozen veg, mint gravy

1236cals, 103.6gm carbs of which 43.70gm sugars

L: Ham salad
D: Roast beef, new potatoes, carrot, cabbage, peas, broccoli, gravy
S: A hot cross bun!

1190cals, 72.9m carbs of which 30.0gm sugars

B: Poached egg, grilled bacon, mushrooms
L: Ham salad
D: Mushroom Kyiv, new potatoes, cabbage, peas, broccoli

1445cals, 119.1m carbs of which 46.7gm sugars

L: Mackerel salad
D: Individual steak and stilton pie, cabbage, carrots, sprouts

Last edited:
1171cals, 75.5m carbs of which 36.3gm sugars

B: Vanilla and almond Exante
D: Chicken thigh (130gm including bone), cabbage, new potato (90gm), cauliflower (60gm), sprouts (45gm)

Southern fried thigh.jpg

Last edited:
Some of these meals look massive! I need a banana for comparison.

@Felinia were you okay having the hot x bun? Did you have butter on it. I've eaten far too many. :(

I weigh my portions- my meals are all small and served on a 10” dessert plate. The picture actually shows one baby potato cut in half. I follow moderation not abstinence but don’t have foods I think I might be tempted to pig out on in the house.
I had a couple of hundred calories and 55gm carbs left over so allowed myself one bun with a scrape of Clover Light . I know this method is working for me by the drop in my glucose levels during the last 3 months. Of course I realise it may not work for others, particularly when it is a multi person household.

1205cals, 80.8m carbs of which 40.0gm sugars

B: Exante Mocha Latte
D: Lemon sole, new potato, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage, gravy

I'm continuing with the posting until my next test in June, as I'd dearly loved to get back down to pre-diabetic levels at least. 2021 I would not have believed it possible, as my HbA1c was 88 - in the danger zone - when I had a very stubborn infection that took 5 months to diagnose and treat. Only now, 2 years down the line, is my kidney function back to normal.

1411cals, 80.7m carbs of which 33.3gm sugars

D: Pork and apple burger, new potato, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage, apple gravy

1361cals, 79.2m carbs of which 45.6gm sugars

L: Poached egg, grilled bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes
D: Pork and apple burger, new potato, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage, apple gravy

Cold wet and windy here. But I'm going for a nice massage this afternoon! OK, the best laid plans get disrupted, as the salon has just cancelled my massage. So a quick change of menu!

1409cals, 92.7m carbs of which 40.0gm sugars

BR: Egg and bacon in a bun
D: Chicken casserole, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower

Last edited:
IMG-20230413-WA0019.jpg

My dinner last night - fish in butter sauce with salad and tenderstem broccoli (there's more sauce than it looks like - it just all hid in the middle!) with a no added sugar rhubarb flavour fizzy water (not the lowest carb I've had for similar ones as there's a bit of juice in it - 3g sugar per 100ml). I weighed myself out a 25g portion of my dark chocolate Easter egg too. Total for the meal 365 Cal 32.1g carbs.

@42istheanswer your dinner looked delicious! I love fish too, particularly with tender stems - one of life's treasures in my opinion...

And wow @Felinia, seems like you have such variety in your meals! You've given me some ideas... :D

I've made a gratin dauphinois with left over potato, onion and a piece of cheese. 167 cals per serving with 18.9 gm carbs for a generous portion or 112cals and 12.6gm carbs as a side portion. I could have it as a vegetarian meal with a poached egg on top, or as a side with my main meal.

1011cals, 72.1m carbs of which 48.5gm sugars

L: Mushroom and cheese one egg omelette with grilled tomatoes
D: Roast beef, gratin dauphinois, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage, peas, gravy

Gratin dauphinois.jpg

Last edited:
Back