Food ideas with photos

I tried a pack of these Gâto Creams peanut butter caramel cream biscuits today. I probably won't buy many of them, as they're not particularly cheap, but they're low in carbs without having any sweeteners in (and the fibre ingredients that bulk them out a bit are worded in a way that I understand what they are! - chicory fibre and citrus fibre). I picked up a few packets (still well in date too) from Approved Foods. I was thinking of giving the others to my dad, but we'll see given I won't see him until May....

8.1g total carbs in 2 biscuits (50g) and they tasted really nice.

images.jpeg.jpg

1364cals, 100.2gm carbs of which 36.1gm sugars

B: Boiled egg and soldiers
L: Exante Moche Latte
D: Chicken breast, hash browns, cabbage, carrots, sprouts, gravy

1168cals, 56.9gm carbs of which 35.1gm sugars

B: Vanilla and almond Exante
L: Boiled egg and soldiers
D: Grilled sausage, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes

1131cals, 57.8gm carbs of which 35.1gm sugars

B: Grilled sausage, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes
L: Ham salad
D: Roast beef, new potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, sprouts, gravy

Tonight’s culinary delight
Sainsbury’s 30% fat burger with dill pickle salad garlic mayonnaise and garlic ketchup in a brioche bun with side of roasted butternut squash and baby carrots Sue had Red Leicester cheese in hers 563C680D-E31B-46F9-A7A5-2B645DC7B36C.jpeg00ED4ED9-F9C4-4156-B301-8F0C7C2825B0.jpeg

Back to the normal routine, as I've finished quarantine, still testing negative.

876cals, 73.7gm carbs of which 45.8gm sugars

B: Exante mocha latte
D: Pork chop, new potatoes, cabbage, peas, carrots, broccoli, apple gravy
E: Aquafit

Off for my fasting blood test this morning. Not enough calories today, so I'll be looking for a snack - perhaps a boiled egg.

789cals, 66.5gm carbs of which 38.1gm sugars

B: Water
L: Prawn salad
D: Pork chop, new potatoes, mixed greens, carrots, apple gravy
S: Yes but unknown

After the Chinese meal.
Next day, vegetable soup for brunch,
Lasagne, made with jackfruit, zero fat yoghurt, overall very low fat, minimal or zero saturated fats, served with wilted spinach and mange tout for dinner.
Maybe 500 calories, totally filling for the day 🙂

IMG-20230323-WA0000.jpg

Had my blood tests yesterday and hoping my carb reduction and increased medication over the last 3 months will have reduced my HbA1c.

963cals, 68.8gm carbs of which 28.3gm sugars

L: Prawn salad
D: Roast beef, new potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, peas, gravy

0165DA2B-C44F-4CDF-B724-2D55A89DB9AF.jpegA660D796-6930-4515-8EB2-B9F0A737E66D.jpegDA1B145F-A6A6-4F13-8C73-E9C6E1954C42.jpeg1DBD4E0A-78B3-49D2-95AD-1BFF42E8DD82.jpeg
The top 2 where yesterdays Sue's was sausage and beans n toast with cheese and garlic bread mine was a roasted tray of lamb and veg with onion gravy
The bottom 2 were bolognaise on flat breads Sue's is with cheese

Last edited:
Looks great my type of meal

It was very good.
I have to be honest, sausages are my downfall, but the chicken ones seem to be low fat, and very low saturated fat.
(Apart from garlic bread, I make my own, that has to be real butter, it's the only time I really eat it, a block can last six months.
I'm finding the spreadable mixes of butter and vegetable oil are a good compromise now though)

It was very good.
I have to be honest, sausages are my downfall, but the chicken ones seem to be low fat, and very low saturated fat.
(Apart from garlic bread, I make my own, that has to be real butter, it's the only time I really eat it, a block can last six months.
I'm finding the spreadable mixes of butter and vegetable oil are a good compromise now though)
Love a butchers sausage in fact tomorrows planned dinner is sausage and mashed pots for Sue I'll have mashed butternut squash with mine

Love a butchers sausage in fact tomorrows planned dinner is sausage and mashed pots for Sue I'll have mashed butternut squash with mine

I still have a load of frozen pumpkin from the after Halloween sell off!

Today is a bit different, as I am taking my friend to hospital for his operation, then his wife and I are going out to lunch at KFC - a rare treat for us.

1346cals, 67.1gm carbs of which 34.1gm sugars

B: Exante coconut latte
L: 3 pieces of KFC chicken and a garden salad
D: 2 Waitrose prawn and smoked salmon shells

Last edited:
I somehow don't think my garden paths are going to get jet washed today - it's windy and pouring!

1182cals, 104.1gm carbs of which 46.6gm sugars

B: Exante Latte
D: Half a Waitrose Chinese takeaway pack - treat for me and I can squeeze it into my carbs and calories limits!
E: Aquafit

Still waiting for my HbA1c results. It used to be just a couple of days, now it seems to take over a week. Slight change to the original plan, as I used fridge leftovers to make the pie.

1196cals, 80.2gm carbs of which 37.9gm sugars

L: Chicken salad
D: Pork chop, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, broccoli, carrots, apple sauce
Cauliflower sweetcorn cheese and onion pie, pork chop, broccoli and carrots.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2 of the cauliflower and sweetcorn pie - there were 6 servings!! Still waiting for my HbA1c results. It's annoying as I like to know before I have my diabetic phone review. But the GP has to see them first, and she's part time.

1192cals, 63.7gm carbs of which 33.4gm sugars

B: Mushroom omelette, grilled bacon
L: Chicken vegetable soup
D: Gammon and pineapple, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, broccoli, carrots

Got my HbA1c results and I'm thrilled. I've dropped from 69mmol/mol to 53mmol/mol. So clearly the discipline of posting every day has worked. I don't think I need to worry about being put on insulin, which is what I was threatened with last time. Also all my renal functions are back in the normal ranges.
Two reasons for the high carbs today: I hadn't had an Oatibix for months, and had just one, with 130ml skimmed milk and 10 dark cherries. I enjoyed it, but at 35gm carbs I won't be having it again any time soon. Secondly I have the plumber in my kitchen, so had a supermarket sandwich for lunch - the pasta salad alternative or sushi were all equally high!

1247cals, 136.8gm carbs of which 34.8gm sugars

B: 1 Oatibix with 130ml skimmed milk and 10 cherries
L: Chicken and bacon salad sandwich
D: Liver and bacon, cauliflower cheese sweetcorn and onion pie, broccoli, carrots

Back