Food ideas with photos

Breakfast was Creamy Greek natural yoghurt with a few fresh blueberries (about 10) and sour cherries (x10 defrosted) with mixed seeds, cinnamon, and a tiny sprinkle of nutty granola.

Lunch ...
IMG_20230304_132202228.jpg
Just to be clear, I am not posting this to boast that I managed to acquire tomatoes and cucumber..... 😉
Blue stilton and apple salad with cheese coleslaw and balsamic vinegar dressing. It was really tasty and just quarter of an apple provided some real tang and fruitiness!

Tonight it is going to be pork shoulder steaks done in the slow cooker in cider and then quickly browned off in the oven with carrot and swede mash, leeks sweated in butter in the microwave and then a dollop of cream cheese stirred in and brussel sprouts.

does anyone do the overnight oats? I love porridge but thought this would be a bit different. What quantities do I use? oats, plain yoghurt and fruit is that it? would love if anyone could help I am new to this and trying very hard.

Breakfast was Creamy Greek natural yoghurt with a few fresh blueberries (about 10) and sour cherries (x10 defrosted) with mixed seeds, cinnamon, and a tiny sprinkle of nutty granola.

Lunch ...
View attachment 24561
Just to be clear, I am not posting this to boast that I managed to acquire tomatoes and cucumber..... 😉
Blue stilton and apple salad with cheese coleslaw and balsamic vinegar dressing. It was really tasty and just quarter of an apple provided some real tang and fruitiness!

Tonight it is going to be pork shoulder steaks done in the slow cooker in cider and then quickly browned off in the oven with carrot and swede mash, leeks sweated in butter in the microwave and then a dollop of cream cheese stirred in and brussel sprouts.

Sadly, those sort of shortages are just the UK only.

Had to change my menu as Waitrose didn't deliver 2 items

1293 cals, of which 73.3gm carbs and 38.7gm sugars

B: Exante Mocha Latte
L: Poached egg, grilled sausage, bacon, baked beans
D: Roast Lamb, new potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts

Last edited:
does anyone do the overnight oats? I love porridge but thought this would be a bit different. What quantities do I use? oats, plain yoghurt and fruit is that it? would love if anyone could help I am new to this and trying very hard.
Some people are fine with porridge and others aren't. Personally I find oats has too much carbs for me when I was testing regularly 2 hrs after breakfast. I'm type 2 and only on a small amount of Metformin so reduced carbs works.

30g oats
80ml of soya milk.
6-8 frozen raspberries or blackberries
Leave overnight in the fridge
Then add a fresh splash of milk in the morning before eating to loosen it up a bit.

Strawberries also work well and also make it a bit sweeter. When I can't get strawberry I would dice up a pear and use about half and freeze the other half diced up for the next day.

When I first started having overnight oats I was having around 50g oats and 100ml milk, which makes it kinda dry but then adding a bit more milk in the morning and eating it when I arrived at work.

A pinch of cinnamon also adds a nice flavour.

I have never really used yogurt because we didn't really have any in the house often.

Due to laziness I just have 1 Weetabix for breakfast now because it's consistent in what it does to my BG and I can do it with my eyes closed and not get a spike. For me both porridge and overnight oats was too much work changing and adjusting the quantities everyday until I found what worked for my BG and didn't leave me hungry but I might give it another go as some of the high protein yogurts are now available in soya and dairy free.

I used 25gm proper porridge oats, a MullerLight yogurt and 40gm blueberries. I loosen it with a splash of unsweetened almond milk before eating. If I don't have yogurt, I use 125ml of the almond milk instead (I like my oats loose). I put it in an individual Kilner jar and keep it in the fridge overnight

Ingredients​

• 40g plain porridge oats
  • Mixed Berries
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g Greek yogurt
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon

Method​

1. Put half of the oats in a lidded jar or bowl and top with half of the Mixed Berries
  2. Stir the vanilla extract and 3 tbsp water into the yogurt and spoon half into the jar or bowl.
  3. Add the rest of the oats, most of the remaining fruit and the rest of the yogurt. Top with the rest of the fruit, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and chill overnight. Stir it all together when you’re ready to eat.

There may be another diet coming on :rofl:

Dinner yesterday.
Prawns with smoked garlic in butter, with seeded french bread.
Steak in garlic butter, with shallots, tomatoes, mushrooms and new potatoes.
Cheese on toasted bread croutons.

IMG-20230304-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20230304-WA0023.jpgIMG-20230304-WA0024.jpg

Oh, and wine!

Havent been on here a while but thought I would share my terrible food choices yesterday!

I had a special afternoon tea/pedicure booked in and planned to be good, well the day started well but as you can see it did go downhill

Breakfast - Greek Yoghurt & berries
No lunch as wanted to save myself for my 3pm treat
Afternoon tea - 1/4 of a slice of coffee and walnut cake, 1/4 of a slice of lemon drizzle cake, a small cube of millionaire shortbread, a small cube of some other chocolate cake and a plain sponge finger thing - with 2 cappuccinos
Diner - went out to eat with my 2 sons and a friend to the Beefeater, I ate one chilli cashew nut while waiting and 2 glasses of wine then had cheese and bacon chicken melt with a salad in a lovely vinaigrette. I swapped the chips for the salad! but on the menu it gave calories and my meal came to just over 800, not sure if that was if I had it with the chips or not
Evening - went back to sons house and we continued drinking wine and chatting, i think I probably had a whole bottle in the end!

Woke up this morning feeling a bit queasy, but the scales say another pound lost, but i know this may be dehydration from the alcohol. I did walk a lot yesterday but its a one off and the pedicure cost £75 so I wasnt not going to enjoy the food

Today I am having yoghurt and berries and then lots of green veg and a curry, possibly some nuts at bedtime and lots of water 🙂

@travellor i love cheese and wine so next time you can invite me!

Havent been on here a while but thought I would share my terrible food choices yesterday!

I had a special afternoon tea/pedicure booked in and planned to be good, well the day started well but as you can see it did go downhill

Breakfast - Greek Yoghurt & berries
No lunch as wanted to save myself for my 3pm treat
Afternoon tea - 1/4 of a slice of coffee and walnut cake, 1/4 of a slice of lemon drizzle cake, a small cube of millionaire shortbread, a small cube of some other chocolate cake and a plain sponge finger thing - with 2 cappuccinos
Diner - went out to eat with my 2 sons and a friend to the Beefeater, I ate one chilli cashew nut while waiting and 2 glasses of wine then had cheese and bacon chicken melt with a salad in a lovely vinaigrette. I swapped the chips for the salad! but on the menu it gave calories and my meal came to just over 800, not sure if that was if I had it with the chips or not
Evening - went back to sons house and we continued drinking wine and chatting, i think I probably had a whole bottle in the end!

Woke up this morning feeling a bit queasy, but the scales say another pound lost, but i know this may be dehydration from the alcohol. I did walk a lot yesterday but its a one off and the pedicure cost £75 so I wasnt not going to enjoy the food

Today I am having yoghurt and berries and then lots of green veg and a curry, possibly some nuts at bedtime and lots of water 🙂

Nothing on that list is terrible!
And it's all in moderation, good choice with the salad, and at the end of the day, it has to be a lifestyle you are happy with, and you clearly can manage this one, you've had amazing results!

You can't worry even if the scales go up, and they will one day.
That's how the body works.
All that means is you send them down again, and once again, you clearly can do it.

I was serious about my diet probably needing to go into calorie deficit again, in the future, I expect to put weight on, especially with the wine, but I know I can, and I enjoy eating so I can happily cut myself some slack, sometimes.

Nothing on that list is terrible!
And it's all in moderation, good choice with the salad, and at the end of the day, it has to be a lifestyle you are happy with, and you clearly can manage this one, you've had amazing results!

You can't worry even if the scales go up, and they will one day.
That's how the body works.
All that means is you send them down again, and once again, you clearly can do it.

I was serious about my diet probably needing to go into calorie deficit again, in the future, I expect to put weight on, especially with the wine, but I know I can, and I enjoy eating so I can happily cut myself some slack, sometimes.
I agree, there will always be times we need a treat and as long as thats not every day and every meal choice, we keep an eye on our weight and health results its OK

The lady that gave me the pedicure was lovely, she told me her dad was diabetic and she always does his feet before his check ups. She told me he recently had a 48 hour heart monitor thing on him to record his blood pressure over that period, she said he was cross about having it, and she explained it was because of his age and to benefit him, so at least I know when I get to my 70s to expect lots of extra tests and not be alarmed its because they expect anything to be wrong

I agree, there will always be times we need a treat and as long as thats not every day and every meal choice, we keep an eye on our weight and health results its OK

The lady that gave me the pedicure was lovely, she told me her dad was diabetic and she always does his feet before his check ups. She told me he recently had a 48 hour heart monitor thing on him to record his blood pressure over that period, she said he was cross about having it, and she explained it was because of his age and to benefit him, so at least I know when I get to my 70s to expect lots of extra tests and not be alarmed its because they expect anything to be wrong

I've had great care and support from the NHS.
I take any test I can have.

1209 cals, of which 74.5gm carbs and 38.5gm sugars

B: Exante Latte
D: Roast Lamb, new potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts, mint gravy
E: Aquafit

1209 cals, of which 74.5gm carbs and 38.5gm sugars

B: Exante Latte
D: Roast Lamb, new potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts, mint gravy
E: Aquafit
ohh I havent had lamb for ages, I always seem to be a chicken or beef person but love lamb with mint sauce

Home for the day while my car is in again, for the rest of the work and its MOT
1401 cals, of which 72.2gm carbs and 35.1gm sugars

B: Poached egg, grilled sausage, bacon, baked beans
L: Corned beef salad
D: Chicken breast, parmentier potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts

I had a really nice homemade tofu and chickpea tikka masala last night using coconut milk instead of yogurt

it was very nice especially as I marinated the tofu and precooked it in the oven before adding it to the sauce for the last 5 minutes. I've never made it like this before. I'll be having some leftovers at lunch so I'll take a photo. Served with rice

I had a really nice homemade tofu and chickpea tikka masala last night using coconut milk instead of yogurt

it was very nice especially as I marinated the tofu and precooked it in the oven before adding it to the sauce for the last 5 minutes. I've never made it like this before. I'll be having some leftovers at lunch so I'll take a photo. Served with rice
It sounds very similar to my Halloumi, cauliflower and chick pea curry, where you fry cubes of halloumi first in coconut oil, and then add them into the curry at the end so it has quite a firm, crisp texture but lovely creamy taste. That uses coconut milk too. It is yum!

It sounds very similar to my Halloumi, cauliflower and chick pea curry, where you fry cubes of halloumi first in coconut oil, and then add them into the curry at the end so it has quite a firm, crisp texture but lovely creamy taste. That uses coconut milk too. It is yum!
I make something similar and also add butternut squash and use Paneer instead of halloumi and maybe add some spinach.

Back