Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you snack after a cycle do you give bolus as well?

No, not normally. I usually only have a protein shake when I return which is around 10g CHO. Although it depends on what my bg is when I get back and the last time I had some carbs on the ride. If my bg is around 7 or less I won't bolus but anything more then I probably would again depending on when I last had carbs. Unless it was dropping but not hypo levels I wouldn't bother with snacks. I often time things so I can do the important stuff (upload to Strava, update this 😉:D), have a shower and change and I'm ready for a meal of some sort.

No, not normally. I usually only have a protein shake when I return which is around 10g CHO. Although it depends on what my bg is when I get back and the last time I had some carbs on the ride. If my bg is around 7 or less I won't bolus but anything more then I probably would again depending on when I last had carbs. Unless it was dropping but not hypo levels I wouldn't bother with snacks. I often time things so I can do the important stuff (upload to Strava, update this 😉:D), have a shower and change and I'm ready for a meal of some sort.
Thanks Matt. I am beginning to get a plan of other things to try, now that I am clearer about what is happening inside. When I was doing intensive training (5 days a week in my youth) I never even needed to think about what was going on inside!! Just cancelled out trip to friends for NEw Year as OH unwell so another game of badminton tomorrow to try out my plans.

Here's my cycling year from Strava. Hope you enjoyed reading about them as much as I did doing them. Whatever happens enjoy the ride and keep pedalling. That's all folks. 🙂

I for one have really enjoyed reading your reports Matt, great pictures too...can almost feel that cold air! What a fantastic advert / encouragement, with all the details, for those nervous about exercising. Now with the added interest of the pump! Might even dig out our bikes in the New Year and put some air in the tyres🙂. I look forward to reading more in 2018.
Thank you for sharing.

Good stuff Matt 🙂 I also really enjoy your cycling reports and watching the seasons change in your photos. I'm fair worn out after watching your Strava stats 😉
Here's to another year of cycling with your Medtronic in your pocket. 🙂

Thanks all. 🙂 I only did one 100+ mile ride in 2017 so I've got a few plans for things this year. Although I'm 50 this year as well so perhaps should be taking it easier. Nah, no chance - aim further! It just depends if real life gets in the way.

I was initially diagnosed as Type 1 in September 2016 (subsequently diagnosed as a Type 1 LADA) and it all happened just after I’d resumed cycling after a break of many years. So 2017 was my first full year of cycling and of being diabetic - I didn’t really have any real targets but my wife had given me a basic Garmin cycle GPS computer as a Christmas present and it allowed me to keep track of my mileage/performance/routes etc. I’m not a fast rider but I’m pretty chuffed with reaching 3,000 miles in a year - I don’t really have a target for this year but I’d be delighted if I manage to match or exceed this year’s mileage.
Nigel

8C935CB6-F5C4-4F3A-BAE2-B90636B3AA6E.jpeg

well done Matt, I am a cyclist too (not a DB), used to do touring in my youth then moved on to time trialling and reached a good standard, retired from racing about 7 years ago, I'm a member of a club and also ride for Team4Luke supporting and promoting awareness for cardiac risk in the young. My cycling time is now more and more limited with elderly parents one being DB, so I tend to do bare minimum to keep fit usually ride short and hard for a hour or so, gives me enough for some drive rides 40-60 milers in lakes or yorkshire now and then. One of my best pals was a 1st Cat roadie (level below UK pro) used to ride and train with him many years back, then one day (in his 30's) he was really struggling on a training ride and looked very thin, he would normally blow the socks of rest of us, that was immediate diagnosis for DB for him and ended his racing days, he still rides now even does some long rides and sportives with his Abbot Libre.

I was initially diagnosed as Type 1 in September 2016 (subsequently diagnosed as a Type 1 LADA) and it all happened just after I’d resumed cycling after a break of many years. So 2017 was my first full year of cycling and of being diabetic - I didn’t really have any real targets but my wife had given me a basic Garmin cycle GPS computer as a Christmas present and it allowed me to keep track of my mileage/performance/routes etc. I’m not a fast rider but I’m pretty chuffed with reaching 3,000 miles in a year - I don’t really have a target for this year but I’d be delighted if I manage to match or exceed this year’s mileage.
Nigel

View attachment 6302

Well done Nigel. That's my philosophy - just try and match or beat what I did the previous year but enjoying myself whatever I do.

well done Matt, I am a cyclist too (not a DB), used to do touring in my youth then moved on to time trialling and reached a good standard, retired from racing about 7 years ago, I'm a member of a club and also ride for Team4Luke supporting and promoting awareness for cardiac risk in the young. My cycling time is now more and more limited with elderly parents one being DB, so I tend to do bare minimum to keep fit usually ride short and hard for a hour or so, gives me enough for some drive rides 40-60 milers in lakes or yorkshire now and then. One of my best pals was a 1st Cat roadie (level below UK pro) used to ride and train with him many years back, then one day (in his 30's) he was really struggling on a training ride and looked very thin, he would normally blow the socks of rest of us, that was immediate diagnosis for DB for him and ended his racing days, he still rides now even does some long rides and sportives with his Abbot Libre.

That's a good standard. Well done on the C R Y work - excellent charity. I was never going to be a world beater and just ride for pleasure although in distance I'm now going further than ever before. I was diagnosed at 18 and the warnings I got then were always about exercise and hypos and being careful - not exactly encouraging me to go out and ride 50 miles. Better tech with pumps/meters/CGMs/Libre etc and insulins since and there has been a more encouraging atmosphere about T1 and exercise. I usually go on my own so I can go at my own pace and stop when I want to. Team Novo Nordisk are a Pro Conti cycling team all Type 1. They have raced at the ToB but not for a couple of years. One of their aims is to race at the TdF in 2021 (100th anniversary of discovery of insulin). Roddy Riddle the ex pro cyclist was diagnosed with T1 at 40 after he retired and now competes in ultra endurance events.

As much as I enjoy cycling on my own (and it invariably involves a visit to a coffee shop somewhere) it’s also nice to share the experience and I’ve used British Cycling’s ‘Let’s Ride’ website to find local cycling groups/rides. Some of these groups are much faster than others and whilst it’s good to push your limits, it’s also nice to find something within your own comfort zone .....anyway, it’s well worth putting your postcode into their page to see if there’s anything happening nearby. One of the nice parts of the initiative is that you can register your details (which can includes medical conditions, cycling experience etc.) so that when you sign up for a ride, the ride leader is aware of your requirements. Well worth checking out:

https://www.letsride.co.uk/

Nigel

26 miles for me today with an hour hard in middle, first ride since around 11th December, was going quite well then we had a couple of windy rainy weekends then I got that stupid none stop cough virus, couldn't sleep at all just coughing every couple of mins. Still croaky but need to get out and re-build up, legs bit sore and lost some fitness but decent start.

i cycled around for fun earlier today was planning on stopping and taking photos of the river. Unfortuantly i couldn't explore much due to a police cordon for some reason (dunno why) so just ended up going into town for a bit instead and then back home but at least i managed to cycle for 1 hour though.
ps is there anyway you can attach your mobile to your bike without having to buy a bike phone holder.?

i cycled around for fun earlier today was planning on stopping and taking photos of the river. Unfortuantly i couldn't explore much due to a police cordon for some reason (dunno why) so just ended up going into town for a bit instead and then back home but at least i managed to cycle for 1 hour though.
ps is there anyway you can attach your mobile to your bike without having to buy a bike phone holder.?

Good stuff, well done. 🙂

In terms of the phone it depends what you're using it for really. For Strava you would want it mounting in order to see it but if it's for photos or calls then it would be alright stored. In terms of mounting then a phone holder would be safer and you can get them for around £12-15. I wouldn't want to risk an expensive phone using some homemade thing. If it's for music you could use one of the arm pouches that runners wear. I carry my phone in the saddle bag or in a jersey pocket (just photos for me or possible calls if required) and have the Garmin mounted on the stem for recording data.

My mate was going though Germany on his Motorbike & rang me on his Phone. We where having a 3 way conversation with his wife on the back. I will not tell you what speed but 😱. Look at Motorbike clips on web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back