Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit like riding through the water :D. Big puddles ? They are brilliant figures Matt. Nearly 60mile at Ave speed of 15 mph up & down them "Hillocks" 😎 You put us all to shame. I could possibly do that in a few mile but not 60 WELL DONE MATT ! 😎

A bit like riding through the water :D. Big puddles ? They are brilliant figures Matt. Nearly 60mile at Ave speed of 15 mph up & down them "Hillocks" 😎 You put us all to shame. I could possibly do that in a few mile but not 60 WELL DONE MATT ! 😎

Thanks Hobie. 🙂 I'm sure you could do it with a bit of training. :D

I have done 70mile in one day on a Mountain Bike but not at 16mph ave speed, that's good on a racer on the flat ! Did you watch the Nutter on the motorbike speeding through the water with special tyres on. Guy Martin. Was that you going through them puddles :D

Chilly today but sunny and I headed out in the Peak District to Bakewell. I'll get my excuses in but it was very windy and with the hills it made for hard going. Perhaps not the best decision to go to 1600 feet and should have maybe stuck to 'lower' ground. Didn't seem to get any favours from the wind as it always seemed to be head on. 🙄 I passed through Hartington, Monyash, Ashford in the Water, Bakewell and Longnor before returning. Full winter gear on including gloves and I'm glad I did as it was cold especially up on the tops.

Strava stats are 51.6 miles completed at a not unexpected average speed of 12.7mph and elevation gain of 4465 feet.

Levels - well I woke to a 13.9 today o_O so corrected and had my breakfast. Usually reduce my Levemir in the morning before a ride and always in the evening after a ride. It depends how far I've gone and how hard I pushed it but it's always a guesstimation. Corrections can mess things up a bit but that's Type 1 diabetes - carry on with strength through adversity. At start 7.4 mmol/l (correction must have worked or was still working 🙄), at 9 miles 6.2 mmol/l, at 17 miles 6.3 mmol/l, at 26 miles 5.5 mmol/l, at 32 miles 8.9 mmol/l, at 40 miles 5.0 mmol/l and back home 9.6 mmol/l. As it was so cold the meter stopped working so I had to shove it down my bibtights. The return reading was because I'd had a gel without testing but not a problem (besides 9.6 is not a massive deal) as usual it carried on dropping when I got back. On the ride I had 2 gels, half an energy bar, quinoa cereal bar, raw fruit bar and cortado from Costa in Bakewell. No NovoRapid taken for these. The pump is still at the clinic waiting for the Medtronic rep to come back with the dates he can attend to start it.

Low lying cloud in the distance. This is near Grindon in Staffordshire.
upload_2017-11-12_17-58-14.png

Near Hartington (Looks calm as you like but was a strong headwind along here)
upload_2017-11-12_18-3-6.png

Looking from Staffordshire into Derbyshire at Crowdecote. I've just come down the steep road to the right and taking a breather 😉 before heading up the equally steep road on the other side to Longnor.
upload_2017-11-12_18-6-51.png

No one else about heading up from Longnor. Peak District in the background. It was cold! Have to remember to remove neck warmer when blowing a snot rocket. :D
upload_2017-11-12_18-9-53.png

The Garmin
upload_2017-11-12_18-11-47.png

Great pics and stats again Matt 🙂 I've often walked in that area, really nice 🙂 I can relate to the wind because I had to battle it head on this morning on a run, but I had foolishly not worn full winter gear and was pretending it was still high summer in my tshirt and shorts 😱 Warmed up once I got into some shelter from the wind though 🙂

Great pics and stats again Matt 🙂 I've often walked in that area, really nice 🙂 I can relate to the wind because I had to battle it head on this morning on a run, but I had foolishly not worn full winter gear and was pretending it was still high summer in my tshirt and shorts 😱 Warmed up once I got into some shelter from the wind though 🙂

I did see one person in cycling shorts rather than tights, only one though. :D Weather report was saying 5 degrees around here today (with a frost tonight) so I knew I had to wrap up a bit but it was the wind that made it really hard work. In the odd bits of shelter it was okay in the sun but I didn't seem to get any benefit from the wind whatever direction I went in. 🙄 Chose the wrong time to go to Costa in Bakewell as it was really busy - hoping for a quick visit but the queue took ages and then having warmed up in there had to head up the hill to Monyash, Crowdecote and beyond. Got another picture I didn't post above looking back on the climb out of Bakewell on the road to Monyash. Bakewell is in a dip towards the right and if my bearings are correct I think Sheffield is over the far horizon.

upload_2017-11-12_19-6-45.png

It was definitely a North wind today. When it's the usual westerly at riding, the school is protected by a line of trees, but when it's northerly, the wind whips straight across the valley.
I'm full of admiration for your numbers when you're on your bike, having done a lot of walking last week. I never seem to have a problem with morning numbers, or overnight, now I can adjust my Levemir down to suit, but during the day, I either front load too much carb with too little insulin and spike into the teens,( before it falls slowly during the walk) or after 40 mins I'm constantly popping fruit pastilles for the next couple of hours to try to head off lows. (Maybe I should eat a protein bar at some point to give me some slower release energy, I think some of my problem might be because I was walking with the family, and didn't want to hold them up by stopping and eating.)
Sorry, rambling a bit there, while I'm thinking it through.

SHORTS ! A right nut case. Was cool today & me & me wife did a walk to the village. 2mile though ps I like the face mask Bat Man, :D

It was definitely a North wind today. When it's the usual westerly at riding, the school is protected by a line of trees, but when it's northerly, the wind whips straight across the valley.
I'm full of admiration for your numbers when you're on your bike, having done a lot of walking last week. I never seem to have a problem with morning numbers, or overnight, now I can adjust my Levemir down to suit, but during the day, I either front load too much carb with too little insulin and spike into the teens,( before it falls slowly during the walk) or after 40 mins I'm constantly popping fruit pastilles for the next couple of hours to try to head off lows. (Maybe I should eat a protein bar at some point to give me some slower release energy, I think some of my problem might be because I was walking with the family, and didn't want to hold them up by stopping and eating.)
A pump would suit that Robin. Temp basal when active or when you are not doing anything. You are right it was cold today. I am a Summer person.

I don't reduce my morning Levemir by much (1 or 2 units) but the evening one by more. Can lead to a high the following morning if reduced by too much. Depending what I wake on the next morning will sometimes reduce that as well. I always prefer to eat something rather than having to correct (in reality I'd prefer not to have Type 1 😉). Usually I start to feel rubbish if it goes over 14/15+ and then having to correct nearly always causes issues further on. I'm on my own on the bike so can stop when I like. Libre helps of course when I have one on. High 5 (energy gel/drinks people) state you should aim to have 60-90g carb per hour for a long ride. (I know they sell them but I'm assuming it's based on some sort of evidence). I never have anywhere near that as I always base what I have on what my blood sugar is doing. It's probably why I'm thin. 🙄 I've found cereal protein bars are pretty good - Aldi quinoa ones or Nature Valley.

As Hobie says pumps have the advantage of TBR's for things like this. That's not to say you can't do it with injections as that's all I've had for 31 years but anything to make it easier to manage particularly for these sorts of activities should be encouraged in my opinion. Mine's almost in touching distance now at the clinic and just waiting for the Medtronic rep to arrange a visit.

I don't reduce my morning Levemir by much (1 or 2 units) but the evening one by more. Can lead to a high the following morning if reduced by too much. Depending what I wake on the next morning will sometimes reduce that as well. I always prefer to eat something rather than having to correct (in reality I'd prefer not to have Type 1 😉). Usually I start to feel rubbish if it goes over 14/15+ and then having to correct nearly always causes issues further on. I'm on my own on the bike so can stop when I like. Libre helps of course when I have one on. High 5 (energy gel/drinks people) state you should aim to have 60-90g carb per hour for a long ride. (I know they sell them but I'm assuming it's based on some sort of evidence). I never have anywhere near that as I always base what I have on what my blood sugar is doing. It's probably why I'm thin. 🙄 I've found cereal protein bars are pretty good - Aldi quinoa ones or Nature Valley.

As Hobie says pumps have the advantage of TBR's for things like this. That's not to say you can't do it with injections as that's all I've had for 31 years but anything to make it easier to manage particularly for these sorts of activities should be encouraged in my opinion. Mine's almost in touching distance now at the clinic and just waiting for the Medtronic rep to arrange a visit.
Thanks, Matt, it's really useful to get an insight on other people's routines. I think I just got cross on hol because my husband was trying to be solicitous and suggesting I ought to eat more upfront so I didn't have to keep eating fruit pastilles, because he personally finds them very acidic and he assumed they would therefore upset my stomach! So I had a 'whose diabetes is this' wobble, ate another slice of toast for breakfast the next day just to prove a point, and peaked at 14.0 by the time we'd driven to the start of that day's walk. Really, I'd have been better thinking rationally and trying a Protein bar ( I really love the Nature Valley peanut and caramel).
I did have a Libre on, which helped, so I could watch the line dropping and act in good time. ( and it does start dropping in a steady line the minute I start walking, even though it's something I do regularly) I did try and get through to OH that having to eat something wasn't a sign that I'd got it wrong, just that I needed it to match my energy expenditure and insulin. ( I did cite you, 'Well Matt does really long bike rides, and he always stops to eat!') I think he just worries because in the early days, I drummed into him that if I looked wobbly it was probably because it was hypo and he should get me some glucose.
I reduced Levemir by half a unit at night and one in the morning. Considering how little I need, (usually 4 in the morning and 2.5 at night) this was quite a big drop in percentage terms, but it seemed to help the usual night time dip after exercise. I haven't been on Levemir long enough, just about a month, to work out how long each dose is lasting. I suspect it's round about 20 hrs.
I hope you get your pump soon. (I'm not going down that route at the moment, I think it would be too big a fight, because I don't think I meet any of the criteria, and I can usually manage it with injections.) It sounds like it would make a real difference to you.
If you got this far, thanks for bearing with the rant!

Thanks, Matt, it's really useful to get an insight on other people's routines. I think I just got cross on hol because my husband was trying to be solicitous and suggesting I ought to eat more upfront so I didn't have to keep eating fruit pastilles, because he personally finds them very acidic and he assumed they would therefore upset my stomach! So I had a 'whose diabetes is this' wobble, ate another slice of toast for breakfast the next day just to prove a point, and peaked at 14.0 by the time we'd driven to the start of that day's walk. Really, I'd have been better thinking rationally and trying a Protein bar ( I really love the Nature Valley peanut and caramel).
I did have a Libre on, which helped, so I could watch the line dropping and act in good time. ( and it does start dropping in a steady line the minute I start walking, even though it's something I do regularly) I did try and get through to OH that having to eat something wasn't a sign that I'd got it wrong, just that I needed it to match my energy expenditure and insulin. ( I did cite you, 'Well Matt does really long bike rides, and he always stops to eat!') I think he just worries because in the early days, I drummed into him that if I looked wobbly it was probably because it was hypo and he should get me some glucose.
I reduced Levemir by half a unit at night and one in the morning. Considering how little I need, (usually 4 in the morning and 2.5 at night) this was quite a big drop in percentage terms, but it seemed to help the usual night time dip after exercise. I haven't been on Levemir long enough, just about a month, to work out how long each dose is lasting. I suspect it's round about 20 hrs.
I hope you get your pump soon. (I'm not going down that route at the moment, I think it would be too big a fight, because I don't think I meet any of the criteria, and I can usually manage it with injections.) It sounds like it would make a real difference to you.
If you got this far, thanks for bearing with the rant!

Did get to the end and feel free to rant away. 😉🙂 I'm always amazed how 'low' some peoples daily basal seems to be. Since being on MDI since 1987 mine has nearly always been in the 20-25u range - occasionally a bit less and currently a bit more. On your walk depending on the type of toast you had it could mean an extra 15-20g CHO which excluding all other variables could push you up 6 mmol/l. I try and aim to be in the range 7-10 mmol/l on the ride, not easy but something to aim for. I sometimes make up a powdered High 5 energy/protein drink in a bottle and take sips from that but that means 2 bottles as I always have a High 5 zero drink with me. Lots of drinks in cooler weather causes other delays as well. 😱:D

DSN phoned up today with a possible pump start day of 7th December. That's the earliest time the Medtronic rep has available - must be busy. The rep can only make the one date (it's normally training one morning or afternoon and then going through a set change 2 days later) so I'll have to do the first set change on my own otherwise it means waiting until the new year. I said yeah, I'll be fine no problem. 🙄 The DSN said some older people are a bit frightened of technology compared to younger people and wouldn't be happy doing it on their own but it was up to me and she thinks I'll be okay. I think she was implying I was in the younger technology savvy group. 😉 Could be wrong though. :D

If you were keen I wouldn't rule out a pump completely as from what I've seen depending on where you live and what the consultants are like the criteria can be imposed very loosely or not imposed at all.

Did get to the end and feel free to rant away. 😉🙂 I'm always amazed how 'low' some peoples daily basal seems to be. Since being on MDI since 1987 mine has nearly always been in the 20-25u range - occasionally a bit less and currently a bit more. On your walk depending on the type of toast you had it could mean an extra 15-20g CHO which excluding all other variables could push you up 6 mmol/l. I try and aim to be in the range 7-10 mmol/l on the ride, not easy but something to aim for. I sometimes make up a powdered High 5 energy/protein drink in a bottle and take sips from that but that means 2 bottles as I always have a High 5 zero drink with me. Lots of drinks in cooler weather causes other delays as well. 😱:D

DSN phoned up today with a possible pump start day of 7th December. That's the earliest time the Medtronic rep has available - must be busy. The rep can only make the one date (it's normally training one morning or afternoon and then going through a set change 2 days later) so I'll have to do the first set change on my own otherwise it means waiting until the new year. I said yeah, I'll be fine no problem. 🙄 The DSN said some older people are a bit frightened of technology compared to younger people and wouldn't be happy doing it on their own but it was up to me and she thinks I'll be okay. I think she was implying I was in the younger technology savvy group. 😉 Could be wrong though. :D

If you were keen I wouldn't rule out a pump completely as from what I've seen depending on where you live and what the consultants are like the criteria can be imposed very loosely or not imposed at all.
You got to the end of my post? Full marks for endurance!
At one stage I thought I was going to do a Northerner and reduce basal to zero, but I got to the point round about 6-7 units a day where that's what I needed. I wonder if it's because I've got some endogenous insulin left, but in that case you'd think it would do the decent thing and switch itself off if I'm going low! And there's certainly not enough to help out with a spike.
Glad to hear your pump is progressing. Up and running in time for Christmas! I'm sure you'll cope with the set change, (and anyway, there are loads of pumpers on here ready to help out). I haven't ruled out a pump in the future, but I'd have to really want one, the first hoop I'd need to jump through would be getting referred back to the hospital from my GP surgery.

Enjoying all the cycling posts as usual. Due to a walking holiday, then not working in city centre until today, I haven't cycled for nearly a month. Lovely cycling along canal towpath in sunshine. Collected several bottles and cans for recycling. Removing whole glass bottles before they get broken removes risk of injuries to humans and animals, plus punctures. A bit frustrating, as we did a litter pick there on Saturday.
Cycling home uphill in the dark less enjoyable, especially when saddle soreness made itself felt.
Still, a day with cycling is nearly always better than one without.

Medtronics are so popular Matt. Pls keep us informed, 7 is meant to be lucky. My post code ends in 7TT. That's Barry Sheens number & the TT. Not bad for someone who was into bikes. 😉

Out fairly early this morning and it was cold and frosty. 😱 Lovely day to be out though if you wrapped up with plenty of sunshine about (stayed dry) and lots of Autumnal colours to see. Lots of cyclists and walkers out and about. I had the Winter gear on - baselayer, thermal jersey, thermal bibtights, overshoes, neckwarmer and winter gloves. Still took a while to warm up. 😉 I headed out into Cheshire to Tatton Park at Knutsford via Alderley Edge for a 100km ride. Love rides like this. Anyone else do owt today?

Strava stats are 63.5 miles completed at an average speed of 15.0mph and elevation gain of 2770 feet.

In terms of levels the meter in the saddle bag was a non starter as it was too cold and wouldn't have worked so I shoved it in the bibtights. Levels as follows - at start after breakfast dropped to 3.4 mmol/l 😱 but didn't want to miss ride time so had 3 chocolate hobnobs and set off, must have worked because at 11 miles it was 6.3 mmol/l, didn't then check until 31 miles because the cafe at Alderley edge where I was planning to stop was full and it was cold and...and...and...no excuse really 🙄 anyway at 31 miles it was 4.7 mmol/l, at 40 miles 6.0 mmol/l, at 47 miles 8.3 mmol/l, at 53 miles 5.2 mmol/l, at 58 miles 6.2 mmol/l and back home 6.4 mmol/l. A bit lower than I like with some of those but I survived 🙄 - it's possibly due to the cold, I'd reduced the Levemir as usual. On the ride I had 2 gels, 1 quinoa cereal bar, 1.5 raw fruit bars and a double macchiato from Jodrell Bank cafe. 🙂

Not far from Alderley Edge (frost on the field to the left). Still quite a few leaves on the trees.
upload_2017-11-19_15-39-6.png

One of the lakes at Tatton Park (looks darker on the photo than it was)
upload_2017-11-19_15-40-57.png

Bright conditions here at Jodrell bank. They had maize in this field last year. Sheep grazing now.
upload_2017-11-19_15-44-6.png

The Garmin
upload_2017-11-19_15-45-33.png

Well done again Matt. You can not beat that sort of day "Out in Fresh Air" . That alone has got to be good for you. That's a good ride 100 km. Another gold star ! 😎

Lovely photos as usual. Riding was good today, ideal conditions. Cold enough for the horses to be quite fresh, no wind, glorious sunshine. Only downside is that the ground is getting a bit boggy.

Lovely photos as usual. Riding was good today, ideal conditions. Cold enough for the horses to be quite fresh, no wind, glorious sunshine. Only downside is that the ground is getting a bit boggy.

Yes, it was a great day to be outdoors. 🙂 Ground might get a bit more boggy for you and the horses as according to the forecast it's supposed to be warming up a bit along with spells of rain next week before turning colder again next weekend. That might all change though as the child of a lady I work with says about the weather forecast - 'they just make it up'. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back