Autumn booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried calling 119 to see whether I'm eligible and the advice from there was that the guidelines don't make it clear, so best plan would be to rock up at a walk in centre and see what they say. Has anyone tried that?
Have you tried the NHSbonline booking service. My other half and I did it yesterday, it informs you if your eligible, after you put your NHS number in.

Have you tried the NHSbonline booking service. My other half and I did it yesterday, it informs you if your eligible, after you put your NHS number in.
Yes. But it looked to me that it was going to end up the same way that you'd get an invite and they'd decide then whether you're actually eligible.

I got mine booked easily and lots of dates and times available.

I see you can only book online if you are over 65 even though everyone over 50 is entitled to a booster. I didn't realise there was a phased approach this time.

There do seem to be a few different systems in place, I have had text from the GP, a text and e-mail from NHS app.
It probably depends on which group you are.

I see you can only book online if you are over 65 even though everyone over 50 is entitled to a booster. I didn't realise there was a phased approach this time.
It says anyone with a weakened immune system? My condition is diabetes! So I booked 🙂
  • a seasonal booster (autumn booster) for people aged 65 years old and over, frontline health and social care workers, those at higher risk or who are pregnant, and people who have or live with someone who has a weakened immune system

As I am over 65 I did not realise this.

It says anyone with a weakened immune system? My condition is diabetes! So I booked 🙂
  • a seasonal booster (autumn booster) for people aged 65 years old and over, frontline health and social care workers, those at higher risk or who are pregnant, and people who have or live with someone who has a weakened immune system
I do not consider diabetes to be a weakened immune system. Some may class Type 1 this way because it is an auto-immune disease but it only attacks insulin producing cells and after nearly 20 years I have none of those left so I didn't consider that relevant to covid.

With a low hba1c and not overweight, my covid risk is low except my age which I can't do anything about. I can't do anything about my gender but women seem to be lower risk so that's a bonus for me.

I do not consider diabetes to be a weakened immune system. Some may class Type 1 this way because it is an auto-immune disease but it only attacks insulin producing cells and after nearly 20 years I have none of those left so I didn't consider that relevant to covid.

With a low hba1c and not overweight, my covid risk is low except my age which I can't do anything about. I can't do anything about my gender but women seem to be lower risk so that's a bonus for me.
Last I heard T1s were still in the 'more likely to get serious illness' group. Have you got something more recent?

You’re in the high risk group because of diabetes regardless of your a1c. If you get sick, blood sugars are harder to control and you’re at higher risk, regardless of your a1c

You’re in the high risk group because of diabetes regardless of your a1c. If you get sick, blood sugars are harder to control and you’re at higher risk, regardless of your a1c

Can't remember exactly when (late 2020?), but I did an assessment form that attempted to quantify risk. Basic idea was to map everyone to the risk of a man of a certain age - where being 'older' meant you were more at risk. So you'd start with your actual self and then adjust according to various rules. If I remember right, having well controlled T1 meant that you added 5 years to your age, but having badly controlled T1 meant you added 12. Women got to chop 5 years off their age which I was very jealous of.

I had my booster this morning - the nurse administering it advised me that I may have more side effects this time due to having had covid (2 months ago). So far just a slightly sore arm (looking for the paracetamol to make sure it doesn't prevent me sleeping...)

Last I heard T1s were still in the 'more likely to get serious illness' group. Have you got something more recent?

Ive still got my appointment! 🙂 all that matters!

The level of risk is dependent on a number of things including hba1c, weight, gender, age, other health conditions, ...
I try to minimise the risk for the things I can manage such as hba1c and weight and general fitness.

I had covid earlier this year. Thankfully, it was no worse than a cold and found my blood sugars no harder to manage (I don't use the word "control") than with any other cold.

My GP surgery are using a text-based booking system. I had the message a few days ago, and really must follow up on it!

Our surgery has never been involved in the Covid Vaccine roll out it was undertaken by a another surgery in the area. The strange thing is my other half who does not have Diabetes but same age as me, got the text from NHS to book his but I never received one. Booked online, had text today to fill in pre vaccine information for next Saturday's appointment.

Just had Covid and flu at our surgery and despite precise appointment times we still had to queue for an hour. Queue for the vaccines then queue to register you had had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back