Autumn booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got mine on Tuesday wasn't sure if I was eligible at first but got a text telling me to book it

Sadly it seems there is a bit of disorganisation around who is eligible yet for the autumn booster. At my failed attempt yesterday (due to vaccines running out after a 3 hour wait in the line at a walk in centre!), an NHS CVA (Covid Vaccination Assistant) told us that as from Sep 22nd anyone over 50 is now eligible regardless of health conditions. When someone said they couldn’t book online he said to just tick the “high risk” question regardless in order to get to the booking page.

I’ve had an email from the NHS inviting me to book (I’m 62) but so did a lady in the line just ahead of me who was 49 with no underlying health conditions and not a frontline care worker, etc. - the walk in centre refused to vaccinate her despite her having an invite.

As much as I appreciate the NHS and extremely grateful of the excellent health service we receive in this country, I do think that the whole organisation is not managed in a clear and consistent manner - just look at all the variations across the country we all have experienced in diabetes care. I can imagine that as with a lot of organisations they are suffering from staff shortages on top of a very high workload so I can understand the difficulties of ensuring a consistent, coordinated process across the country. It is not easy at the best of times ensuring that everyone in an organisation is saying the same thing and following the same procedures and guidelines.

After yesterdays disaster my wife (who qualifies on age - over 50, and as a frontline care worker) and I managed to book a vaccination for this afternoon at a nearby pharmacy, so we’re hoping to be successful today!
There isn't really any NHS "as a whole" organisation. NHS England handles some coordination and recommendations, but each Trust is independently run

There isn't really any NHS "as a whole" organisation. NHS England handles some coordination and recommendations, but each Trust is independently run
Very true, it is easy to perceive the NHS as one body when in fact the individual trusts and the new Integrated Care Boards are all separate organisations in their own right. That said, I have actually had outstanding care and help, especially from my diabetes team at my local hospital who have been outstanding in giving me advice and help when needed.

Sadly it seems there is a bit of disorganisation around who is eligible yet for the autumn booster. At my failed attempt yesterday (due to vaccines running out after a 3 hour wait in the line at a walk in centre!), an NHS CVA (Covid Vaccination Assistant) told us that as from Sep 22nd anyone over 50 is now eligible regardless of health conditions. When someone said they couldn’t book online he said to just tick the “high risk” question regardless in order to get to the booking page.

I’ve had an email from the NHS inviting me to book (I’m 62) but so did a lady in the line just ahead of me who was 49 with no underlying health conditions and not a frontline care worker, etc. - the walk in centre refused to vaccinate her despite her having an invite.

As much as I appreciate the NHS and extremely grateful of the excellent health service we receive in this country, I do think that the whole organisation is not managed in a clear and consistent manner - just look at all the variations across the country we all have experienced in diabetes care. I can imagine that as with a lot of organisations they are suffering from staff shortages on top of a very high workload so I can understand the difficulties of ensuring a consistent, coordinated process across the country. It is not easy at the best of times ensuring that everyone in an organisation is saying the same thing and following the same procedures and guidelines.

After yesterdays disaster my wife (who qualifies on age - over 50, and as a frontline care worker) and I managed to book a vaccination for this afternoon at a nearby pharmacy, so we’re hoping to be successful today!
Success today! We both got our Moderna autumn boosters at the local pharmacy, so pleased that it has made up for the wasted time queueing yesterday! Next job is flu vaccination, booked for the middle of this month at our local Boots!

Well I am not feeling so good this afternoon. Washed out and been overheating a bit and felt hypo (wobbly legs, heart pounding etc) several times this afternoon when levels have been nicely in the 5s and 6s and a bit nauseous too, so I am guessing I am having a bit of a reaction to the vaccine, but pleased to report BG holding steady so far. It is a glorious day out there, but I am shattered and just want to climb into bed!

Both had our Covid boosters after lunch on Wednesday. I had a sore arm but it didn't look sore and didn't feel hot IYSWIM. Mostly felt like my bra strap had fallen down my arm slightly so was trapping arm movement.

I am now battling high levels since last night. Needed 20 units of Fiasp total this afternoon/evening for lunch and in multiple stacked corrections since then to bring me down from 10.1 and I am still only at 8.4 and not had any evening meal. I added 2 extra units to my evening Levemir dose 3 hours ago but no sign of that having any impact either. As usual, Fiasp has turned to water when I need it most. 🙄
Obviously I can't prove that this is related to the Covid booster I had on Saturday, but I did have similar problems after my first Covid vaccine.

Getting mine this morning and my insulin needs all ready seem to be going up so I might be adding fuel to the fire.

Last edited:
I am now battling high levels since last night. Needed 20 units of Fiasp total this afternoon/evening for lunch and in multiple stacked corrections since then to bring me down from 10.1 and I am still only at 8.4 and not had any evening meal. I added 2 extra units to my evening Levemir dose 3 hours ago but no sign of that having any impact either. As usual, Fiasp has turned to water when I need it most. 🙄
Obviously I can't prove that this is related to the Covid booster I had on Saturday, but I did have similar problems after my first Covid vaccine.

Isn't it strange how different things affect different people, what you've wrote sounds awful so hope matters improve over next few days.

Isn't it strange how different things affect different people, what you've wrote sounds awful so hope matters improve over next few days.
Yes, it is odd. 20 units of Fiasp is a good 2 day's worth for me usually and it's not like I let my levels get into mid teens plus I needed more in the early hours. It just wouldn't come down into range and the lowest I got was 8.4 and then it headed back up again. Thankfully, I am back on top of things today and normal service has resumed. I even ended up hypo after breakfast because I gave it 5 units instead of 4 expecting some Foot on the Floor after yesterday's insulin resistance. Not unhappy about the hypo. It was a relief to get a response to the insulin and eating a couple of JBs is infinitely preferable to repeatedly injecting myself with insulin that has no effect. 🙄
Diabetes is just weird sometimes!

Yes, it is odd. 20 units of Fiasp is a good 2 day's worth for me usually and it's not like I let my levels get into mid teens plus I needed more in the early hours. It just wouldn't come down into range and the lowest I got was 8.4 and then it headed back up again. Thankfully, I am back on top of things today and normal service has resumed. I even ended up hypo after breakfast because I gave it 5 units instead of 4 expecting some Foot on the Floor after yesterday's insulin resistance. Not unhappy about the hypo. It was a relief to get a response to the insulin and eating a couple of JBs is infinitely preferable to repeatedly injecting myself with insulin that has no effect. 🙄
Diabetes is just weird sometimes!

Does sound like vaccination was to blame, pleased things are back to normal today.

I have just been spike(vax)ed and flued (flown). They had to put both in the same arm as my CGM was in the way on my other arm.
My reaction to my previous jabs have been minimal and I hope the same is true this time as I am flying to Washington DC tomorrow for a week of giving presentations, doing interviews and hosting clients. Wish me luck!

So I got bivalently Spikevaxed yesterday & today has been dodgy with chills and aches. Hope it's just a transient vax reaction & I'm not coming down with something.

Had my flu vac, Friday with no reaction.
Covid vac on Monday, ended up with a spitting headache and very tired for a few hours. Not too sure though if that was the vac or just a delayed reaction to my car being written off on Saturday.

The nurse who did the vaccination recommended drinking plenty of water and keeping hydrated.

So I got bivalently Spikevaxed yesterday & today has been dodgy with chills and aches. Hope it's just a transient vax reaction & I'm not coming down with something.
Probably a reaction to the jab, I had a couple days off with a fever and aches

I have just been spike(vax)ed and flued (flown). They had to put both in the same arm as my CGM was in the way on my other arm.
My reaction to my previous jabs have been minimal and I hope the same is true this time as I am flying to Washington DC tomorrow for a week of giving presentations, doing interviews and hosting clients. Wish me luck!
I hope you weren’t badly impacted by your jab and that your time in USA goes well.

Had my flu vac, Friday with no reaction.
Covid vac on Monday, ended up with a spitting headache and very tired for a few hours. Not too sure though if that was the vac or just a delayed reaction to my car being written off on Saturday.

The nurse who did the vaccination recommended drinking plenty of water and keeping hydrated.
I hope that you were okay after the car biff and that your headache has gone Sue

Sometimes difficult to tell. I hope you are okay.

I hope that you were okay after the car biff and that your headache has gone Sue
I'm fine ta, 🙂 Just a stiff neck all other aches gone so, got off very lightly. Much to Charlie's disgust I was fit enough to take him to boot camp this morning (dog training)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back