Wife diagnosed with Acute Pancreatitis

Thanks for the update @Billy Bob

Glad the drain is out at last!

So pleased to hear that. Hope she can come home soon.

Good to hear that @Billybob
Hoping Sue keeps improving and is home with you soon.

So finally got Sue back home on Monday
It has been a bit of a rollercoaster over the last 2 weeks, the doctors were ready to discharge Sue on the 14th while we were waiting for the paperwork and meds Sue became ill again with another ileostomy blockage , luckily we hadn't left the hospital
The blockage was cleared again by the following evening and Sue was started back on soft foods and her stoma output has been good ever since so they were happy to release her on Monday we will hopefully get an update in January as to if they need to operate as they think there is a narrowing in her small bowel ?
Any way we are home for Christmas and this time last year we were in a very different place so onwards and upwards.
Thank you everyone for your support and kind words MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all XXX

So pleased for you both and hope everything goes smoothly over the festive season and very best wishes to you both for 2023.

A Merry Christmas to both @Billy Bob I’m so glad you and Sue will be able to spend Christmas at home. I hope you have a lovely, relaxing time together - you both deserve it.

Wishing you both the best possible Christmas. Goodness knows you deserve it xx

Delighted to hear that @Billy Bob .
Wishing you both a Merry Christmas and hoping that Sue's recovery continues well.

So things have been going quite well with Sue apart from a blockage and another short stay in hospital at the beginning of May , Magnesium levels have been a little low and her HBa1c is hovering between 48 and 49 .
Went to see the upper GI consultant today and they are going to operate again as Sue has adhesions on her small bowel what are causing blockages so they need to go in to address them also remove her gallbladder and the fistular , we are seeing the lower GI consultant next week as he will be collaborating with the upper GI consultant and hopefully reversing Sue's stoma although she only has her small bowel left they say it is reversable , we have also made an appointment with the stoma clinic to discuss the pro's and con's of a reversal.
Dietician was there today and happy with Sue's progress although she thinks Sue is now type 3C as does our GP .
Sue has an appointment in 2 weeks with the diabetic nurse to see what steps they want to take ?

That sounds really good, if a bit scary n the surgery front. @eggyg I believe also suffers blockages from adhesions. It is good that the GP recognizes that she is Type 3c but sounds like she is doing really well with an HbA1c of 48/9 so a big well done to you both on that.
Do you have a date for the surgery? Wishing you all the luck in the world with that.

Good to read of Sue’s progress @Billy Bob and that she has been recognised as Type 3C.
Keep us updated with her progress, and take care of yourself too.

Pleased to hear @Billy Bob that your wife is continuing to recover. It takes a deceptively long time to get back to a fairly normal place after a Whipple's Procedure. Also, despite as @rebrascora says it sounds a bit scary, it's good that both Upper and Lower GI teams are still monitoring and supporting your wife. How is she getting on with managing her diabetes?

I suggest she asks the Surgeons about the merits of scar tissue therapy, once the necessary extra surgical intrusions have been completed. Obviously the new scar needs time to heal. But I understand light surface massage can help provide faster and better surface healing, with deeper (but gentle) massage reducing the chance of adhesions or manipulating them away for the longer term. I have quite noticeable deep scar tissue after my Whipples' in Feb 2020 and it seems I'm now too late to get much benefit from scar tissue therapy.

I didn't know then that scar tissue therapy existed; I found a Therapist from the Rennie Grove Hospice who would have provided a number of sessions for free, but only after a referral from a recognised medical authority (in my case a day-care outpatients Hospice, who have been a brilliant source of care after my chemo. The Hospice recognises that once chemo treatment has ended, Patients fall into "No-Man's Land" whereby they are still in remission or simply not fully cured, but no longer under direct medical care and could need aftercare - both mental and physical. They provide a range of simple Support activities, which I'm most grateful for.)

Pleased to hear @Billy Bob that your wife is continuing to recover. It takes a deceptively long time to get back to a fairly normal place after a Whipple's Procedure. Also, despite as @rebrascora says it sounds a bit scary, it's good that both Upper and Lower GI teams are still monitoring and supporting your wife. How is she getting on with managing her diabetes?

I suggest she asks the Surgeons about the merits of scar tissue therapy, once the necessary extra surgical intrusions have been completed. Obviously the new scar needs time to heal. But I understand light surface massage can help provide faster and better surface healing, with deeper (but gentle) massage reducing the chance of adhesions or manipulating them away for the longer term. I have quite noticeable deep scar tissue after my Whipples' in Feb 2020 and it seems I'm now too late to get much benefit from scar tissue therapy.

I didn't know then that scar tissue therapy existed; I found a Therapist from the Rennie Grove Hospice who would have provided a number of sessions for free, but only after a referral from a recognised medical authority (in my case a day-care outpatients Hospice, who have been a brilliant source of care after my chemo. The Hospice recognises that once chemo treatment has ended, Patients fall into "No-Man's Land" whereby they are still in remission or simply not fully cured, but no longer under direct medical care and could need aftercare - both mental and physical. They provide a range of simple Support activities, which I'm most grateful for.)
Thank you so much for your input we were not aware about scar tissue therapy so we will ask questions next week when we meet the lower GI surgeon. As for the type 3 it was the hospital dietician who said Sue would be type 3c and she is writing to our GP with her take on it in case our DN is not familiar with it she also said that if our DN doesn't really understand it that she will get Sue referred to the hospital team as because of Sue having only her small bowel her dietary needs are a little more difficult to keep the diabetes in check .

Glad to hear that they are still looking after Sue well @Billy Bob although sorry to hear that there are still some issues to deal with.
Is she still being treated at the Royal Surrey?

Glad to hear that they are still looking after Sue well @Billy Bob although sorry to hear that there are still some issues to deal with.
Is she still being treated at the Royal Surrey?
Yes under the Professor and I'm always loaded with questions for them
They have been holding off on surgery for as long as they can because it is so complex inside that's why they are getting a plan together and want to only go in once .

Yes under the Professor and I'm always loaded with questions for them
They have been holding off on surgery for as long as they can because it is so complex inside that's why they are getting a plan together and want to only go in once .
Glad to hear that the teams are working together on a plan for Sue.
The diabetes team at the hospital see a lot of us Type 3cs so I'm sure you'll both find them helpful.
Hoping the next steps go smoothly for Sue and looking forward to hearing how things go for you both.

Back