What our your top ten films of all time?

I've been a film critic since the mid nineteen nineties and in that time I've seen so great films and some truly awful films...so with that in mind I would like to ask you my dear friends what are your top favourite films of all time..to start off here's my top ten...
1.Avatar
2.Suspiria(The original 1977 version directed by Italian master of horror Dario Argento and not the horrible 2018 remake)
3. Gladiator
4. Brief Encounter
5. Don't Look Now
6. Goodfellas
7. Tenebrae(Another Dario Argento classic...this time from 1982)
8. The Deer Hunter
9. Mona Lisa (Neil Jordans brilliant 1986 film with a wonderful Oscar nominated performance from the late and sorely missed Bob Hoskins)
And...
10. Jackie Brown(my favourite Quentin Tarantino film...and easily one of his best)

So there we have it...there's my top ten...
What about yours?..I'll enjoy reading your lists.
Christopher Walken was heartbreaking in 'The Deer Hunter' - and then Tarantino 'brought him back to life' in 'Pulp Fiction'!

I've been a film critic since the mid nineteen nineties and in that time I've seen so great films and some truly awful films...so with that in mind I would like to ask you my dear friends what are your top favourite films of all time..to start off here's my top ten...
1.Avatar
2.Suspiria(The original 1977 version directed by Italian master of horror Dario Argento and not the horrible 2018 remake)
3. Gladiator
4. Brief Encounter
5. Don't Look Now
6. Goodfellas
7. Tenebrae(Another Dario Argento classic...this time from 1982)
8. The Deer Hunter
9. Mona Lisa (Neil Jordans brilliant 1986 film with a wonderful Oscar nominated performance from the late and sorely missed Bob Hoskins)
And...
10. Jackie Brown(my favourite Quentin Tarantino film...and easily one of his best)

So there we have it...there's my top ten...
What about yours?..I'll enjoy reading your lists.
'Don't Look Now' is on my list too: the shot where Julie Christie's face crumples when she sees her dead daughter is incredible :-(

Not sure I can think of 10
But
Silence of the Lambs
Pretty Woman
I agree with Silence of the Lambs - and I'm not so keen on either version of 'Manhunter'. I struggle with 'Pretty Woman': Julia Roberts is such a good actor and makes the film very seductive - but the reality is that it glamorises prostitution.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Brazil

Logan’s Run

Star Wars IV: A New Hope

12 Angry Men (Original, although I also enjoyed the Gandolfini remake)

Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai

Assault On Precinct 13 (Original)

Blade Runner (Original theatrical edit)

Top Secret

Angel Heart

Dancer In The Dark
It makes me feel hot and sticky every time I watch '12 Angry Men'! I like the Hancock parody even better lol.

Ah....another two movies that would make my top twenty favourite movies...they are both great movies and in the case of pretty woman that was the first movie i ever saw at the cinema.It was in may 1990 in what was then called The Maybox cinema in Slough...and if my memory serves me correctly the film was screened was on screen five.
I think the first film I ever saw at the cinema was 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' - and I still need to sleep with the light on :-o

1729107596791.png

In no particular order: I'm surprised how many films the great Alan Rickman was in.

Kelly's Heroes
Galaxy Quest
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Schindlers List
Sense and Sensibility (the version with Emma Thompson)
The Great Escape (lost count of the number of times I've watched it)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Tootsie
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Tora, Tora, Tora

I love too many films to get it down to a top 10, but just off the top of my head I would go with....
Heat (best cops and robbers film ever)
Pulp Fiction (best Tarantino film)
Aliens (best sci fi film)
The Shawshank Redemption, fantastic film!
The Godfather / Goodfellas (best Mafia film)
Toy Story (best animated film)
Good Will Hunting, just another fantastic film, hilarious in some parts, tragic in others.
The Dark Knight, great Superhero/ Anti-hero film, and the best "Joker" IMHO.
The Outlaw Josey Wales (best Western)
Its a Wonderful Life, great festive film and very uplifting ending.

Couple of added bonus's that I will always watch whenever they come on the tv....
Zulu
Silence of the Lambs
Seven
The Usual Suspects
Star Wars (any)
The Green Mile
Gladiator
The Deer Hunter
I love the shock ending in 'The Usual Suspects'! I can't enjoy watching Kevin Spacey films quite so much any more though: I used to love 'American Beauty' :-(

In no particular order: I'm surprised how many films the great Alan Rickman was in.

Kelly's Heroes
Galaxy Quest
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Schindlers List
Sense and Sensibility (the version with Emma Thompson)
The Great Escape (lost count of the number of times I've watched it)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Tootsie
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Tora, Tora, Tora
How about 'Truly, Madly, Deeply'?

No particular order (except number 1, which is firmly in the top spot!)

The Princess Bride.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Thor Ragnarok.
Tangled
Miss Congeniality (so silly but fun)
Schindler's List
A Knight's Tale
The Greatest Showman

I would have put Gone with the Wind, as I loved it when I was younger but I do recognise its more problematic now.

In no particular order

Shogun
The Thorn Birds (I think that was tv series)
Gandhi
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dances with Wolves
Life of Pi
The Green Mile
Little Women
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Gremlins

:D
I think Jack's even better in 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' than he is in 'The Shining'.

No particular order (except number 1, which is firmly in the top spot!)

The Princess Bride.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Thor Ragnarok.
Tangled
Miss Congeniality (so silly but fun)
Schindler's List
A Knight's Tale
The Greatest Showman

I would have put Gone with the Wind, as I loved it when I was younger but I do recognise its more problematic now.
You raise an interesting point about art being perceived as "problematic". In terms of cinema, that been argued about ever since 'The Birth of a Nation'. I don't know the answer. I do know that I don't enjoy watching Kevin Spacey now as much as I used to do. In terms of other 'art', I used to be a big Garry Glitter fan! I struggle with double standards in this arena: how come Garry Glitter's been 'cancelled' (a decision with which I agree, by the way) but not either Michael Jackson or Bill Wyman?

Anyone else really enjoy "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen"?
I also though "The Kite Runner" was extremely good.

Both opened windows into the middle east and gave us a very different perspective on life there.

I like how Tom Hanks plays against type in 'Road to Perdition'.
I agree with you @CliffH about Tom Hanks playing against type in "Road to Perdition "....he quite brilliant in that film...but what makes me smile is the love for "Once Upon A Time In America"...it's one of the greatest gangster epics of all time and it's also a masterclass in great film making by Sergio Leone one of my time favourite film makers.

I struggle with 'Pretty Woman': Julie Roberts is such a good actor and makes the film very seductive - but the reality is that it glamorises prostitution.
There was a whole debate on PW. It’s a “Cinderella story” to some. Then there’s Forest Gump’s “Jenny.” She only seemed to show up in his life when she needed “something.” Lol, don’t even try me on Dirty dancing.

There was a whole debate on PW. It’s a “Cinderella story” to some. Then there’s Forest Gump’s “Jenny.” She only seemed to show up in his life when she needed “something.” Lol, don’t even try me on Dirty dancing.
Of course the whole concept of 'Cinderella' implies that women don't (or can't, or won't, or aren't allowed to) have agency of their own: they have to be 'rescued' by a man 🙄.

Back