What our your top ten films of all time?

This list reminds that there are so many Great British Films.....
Kes
Get Carter
The remains of the day
Trainspotting
Nil by Mouth
A Fish called Wanda
The Lady Killers (et al)
The Long Good Friday / Mona Lise (The Great Bob Hoskins)
The Full Monty
Alfie
The Italian Job
The Commitments
Etc, etc
I have just finished reading A Kestrel for a Knave - the book upon which Kes is based.
I was surprised by the beauty of the prose. It reminded me of D H Lawrence.

All the spaghetti western films with Clint Eastwood and Lee van Cleef

I've been a film critic since the mid nineteen nineties and in that time I've seen so great films and some truly awful films...so with that in mind I would like to ask you my dear friends what are your top favourite films of all time..to start off here's my top ten...
1.Avatar
2.Suspiria(The original 1977 version directed by Italian master of horror Dario Argento and not the horrible 2018 remake)
3. Gladiator
4. Brief Encounter
5. Don't Look Now
6. Goodfellas
7. Tenebrae(Another Dario Argento classic...this time from 1982)
8. The Deer Hunter
9. Mona Lisa (Neil Jordans brilliant 1986 film with a wonderful Oscar nominated performance from the late and sorely missed Bob Hoskins)
And...
10. Jackie Brown(my favourite Quentin Tarantino film...and easily one of his best)

So there we have it...there's my top ten...
What about yours?..I'll enjoy reading your lists.
In no order:
The Third Man
Psycho
Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari
Pulp Fiction
Don't Look Now
Some Like It Hot
Les Diaboliques
Genevieve
The Bride of Frankenstein
One Plus One.

Another vote for Galaxy Quest here, brilliant film, RIP Alan Rickman
Also The Shawshank Redemption, I could watch that over and over, even knowing the ending.
The Green Mile, also excellent, I’m a bit of a Stephen King fan but some film adaptations are dreadful, this and Shawshank have to be the best of his I think
Schindler’s List
The Great Escape
Paddington and Paddington 2 (the bit with Aunt Lucy at the end makes me well up… yes I do know that the bears are CGI and it isn’t real :rofl:)
Nuns on the Run - ridiculous but always makes me laugh
Ocean’s Eleven (George Clooney version - not particularly because of him though, star studded cast and a nice little adventure, albeit not very realistic)
The Full Monty
How about a list of films to make people "well up"? "Daddy! My Daddy!".

1729106576410.png

Last edited:
This list reminds me that there are so many Great British Films.....
Kes
Get Carter
The remains of the day
Trainspotting
Nil by Mouth
A Fish called Wanda
The Lady Killers (et al)
The Long Good Friday / Mona Lise (The Great Bob Hoskins)
The Full Monty
Alfie
The Italian Job
The Commitments
Etc, etc
Yes: lots of good Ealings and British Hitchcocks, as well as non-Ealing comedies such as 'Genevieve'. Best of all: 'The Third Man'.

OK, succumbed to a full list, in no particular order.
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest
Robin Hood Prince of thieves (for the Sheriff of Nottingham)
Dr. Zhivago (for the daffodils)
Life of Brian
War Horse
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Birds
West Side story (for the music)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (for the choreography)

This thread got me thinking about a couple of good Shakespeare adaptations from the 90s. There haven't been any (that I remember) since
- Ian McKellen in Richard III set in 1930s
- Leonardo Di Caprio and Clare Danes in modern day Romeo and Juliet. But then I have always liked Baz Luhrmann movies
Yes, I like that Ian McKellen one. If only Anthony Sher's 'spider' portrayal of Richard had been filmed :-(

It was just the setting that was dated. It was also the jokes - posh guys being a bit pathetic.
I remember liking it in the 80s/90s.
Hugh Grant would play either character well in a remake, if he were a bit younger.

Yes: lots of good Ealings and British Hitchcocks, as well as non-Ealing comedies such as 'Genevieve'. Best of all: 'The Third Man'.
... and two from opposite ends of the spectrum: 'The Railway Children' and 'The Wicker Man'!

... and two from opposite ends of the spectrum: 'The Railway Children' and 'The Wicker Man'!
Two of the all great British films...and both completely and totally different. The Wicker Man is one of my all time favourite British films...it's a terrifying and brilliant film with a iconic performance from a deliciously sinister Christopher Lee and brilliant support from the likes of Edward Woodward,Britt Ekland and Ingrid Pitt.

OK, succumbed to a full list, in no particular order.
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest
Robin Hood Prince of thieves (for the Sheriff of Nottingham)
Dr. Zhivago (for the daffodils)
Life of Brian
War Horse
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Birds
West Side story (for the music)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (for the choreography
What a great list @Robin. I've noticed you have The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in your list. That film is simply beautiful with a wonderful Oscar winning performance from the late Maggie Smith...God bless her always.

I’ve just been recommended a movie on Netflix called “Margaux?” Looked at the trailer. It’s a bunch of 20somethings renting an evil “smart home.” Yikes. So it’s “Demon seed” without Julie Christie then.

Two of the all great British films...and both completely and totally different. The Wicker Man is one of my all time favourite British films...it's a terrifying and brilliant film with a iconic performance from a deliciously sinister Christopher Lee and brilliant support from the likes of Edward Woodward,Britt Ekland and Ingrid Pitt.
Yes: such a shocking ending! Christopher Lee's not given enough credit for his acting skills: he completely stole 'The Man with the Golden Gun' from Roger Moore.

My top ten are
Casablanca
Saving private Ryan
You only live twice
The Searchers
How the west was won
Star Wars
Da Vinci Code
North by Northwest
The Goldfinch.
Now some are old films, but classics to me
(Showing my age )
"You Only Live Twice, Mr Bond". Donald Pleasance was such a good actor.

Back