What our your top ten films of all time?

You missed Dario Argento's Inferno off the list @stephenS50 !! I remember seeing that and couldn't quite work out who the vaguely recognisable composer was until it got Mater Tenebrarum and then I knew it had to be the great (now sadly late) Keith Emerson. The music was the best bit of the film!

You missed Dario Argento's Inferno off the list @stephenS50 !! I remember seeing that and couldn't quite work out who the vaguely recognisable composer was until it got Mater Tenebrarum and then I knew it had to be the great (now sadly late) Keith Emerson. The music was the best bit of the film!
Actually Inferno would be in the top twenty @Vonny .It's an absolutely fantastic film in it's own right and I love Keith Emersons soundtrack(even though I think the film score Goblin did for Suspiria is even better)..So are you a Dario Argento fan?

Actually Inferno would be in the top twenty @Vonny .It's an absolutely fantastic film in it's own right and I love Keith Emersons soundtrack(even though I think the film score Goblin did for Suspiria is even better)..So are you a Dario Argento fan?
Yes I was, back in the day! These days I'm more likely to watch Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing, that's the most excitement I can stand 😎

Another vote for Galaxy Quest here, brilliant film, RIP Alan Rickman
Also The Shawshank Redemption, I could watch that over and over, even knowing the ending.
The Green Mile, also excellent, I’m a bit of a Stephen King fan but some film adaptations are dreadful, this and Shawshank have to be the best of his I think
Schindler’s List
The Great Escape
Paddington and Paddington 2 (the bit with Aunt Lucy at the end makes me well up… yes I do know that the bears are CGI and it isn’t real :rofl:)
Nuns on the Run - ridiculous but always makes me laugh
Ocean’s Eleven (George Clooney version - not particularly because of him though, star studded cast and a nice little adventure, albeit not very realistic)
The Full Monty

In no particular order

Shogun
The Thorn Birds (I think that was tv series)
Gandhi
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dances with Wolves
Life of Pi
The Green Mile
Little Women
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Gremlins

:D

In no particular order

Shogun
The Thorn Birds (I think that was tv series)
Gandhi
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dances with Wolves
Life of Pi
The Green Mile
Little Women
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Gremlins

:D
Hello there @Jodee . This is a good list..and yes The Thorn Birds was a TV mini-series.I notice you have Little Women in your list...my favourite adaptation of this book is the 1994 version with Winona Ryder,Christian Bale and Susan Sarandon...what's yours?

Last edited:
Another vote for Galaxy Quest here, brilliant film, RIP Alan Rickman
Also The Shawshank Redemption, I could watch that over and over, even knowing the ending.
The Green Mile, also excellent, I’m a bit of a Stephen King fan but some film adaptations are dreadful, this and Shawshank have to be the best of his I think
Schindler’s List
The Great Escape
Paddington and Paddington 2 (the bit with Aunt Lucy at the end makes me well up… yes I do know that the bears are CGI and it isn’t real :rofl:)
Nuns on the Run - ridiculous but always makes me laugh
Ocean’s Eleven (George Clooney version - not particularly because of him though, star studded cast and a nice little adventure, albeit not very realistic)
The Full Monty
Im a big Stephen King fan and I love many of his big screen adaptations @Sally71. Both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are great films although my personal favourite Stephen King big screen adaptation is Brian De Palmas wonderful 1976 version of "Carrie".Do you know "Carrie"is set for a re-release in a brand new 4K restoration on October 18th?.

Last edited:
I've been a film critic since the mid nineteen nineties and in that time I've seen so great films and some truly awful films...so with that in mind I would like to ask you my dear friends what are your top favourite films of all time..to start off here's my top ten...
1.Avatar
2.Suspiria(The original 1977 version directed by Italian master of horror Dario Argento and not the horrible 2018 remake)
3. Gladiator
4. Brief Encounter
5. Don't Look Now
6. Goodfellas
7. Tenebrae(Another Dario Argento classic...this time from 1982)
8. The Deer Hunter
9. Mona Lisa (Neil Jordans brilliant 1986 film with a wonderful Oscar nominated performance from the late and sorely missed Bob Hoskins)
And...
10. Jackie Brown(my favourite Quentin Tarantino film...and easily one of his best)

So there we have it...there's my top ten...
What about yours?..I'll enjoy reading your lists.
My top ten are
Casablanca
Saving private Ryan
You only live twice
The Searchers
How the west was won
Star Wars
Da Vinci Code
North by Northwest
The Goldfinch.
Now some are old films, but classics to me
(Showing my age )

My top ten are
Casablanca
Saving private Ryan
You only live twice
The Searchers
How the west was won
Star Wars
Da Vinci Code
North by Northwest
The Goldfinch.
(Showing my age )
No I don't think you're showing your age at all @Homer. I think this is a great top ten...and some of these would definitely make my top twenty favourite films list for sure....haven't seen The Goldfinch for years i must admit.

My top ten are
Casablanca
Saving private Ryan
You only live twice
The Searchers
How the west was won
Star Wars
Da Vinci Code
North by Northwest
The Goldfinch.
(Showing my age )
North by Northwest is a winner!

Im a big Stephen King fan and I love many of his big screen adaptations @Sally71. Both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are great films although my personal favourite Stephen King big screen adaptation is Brian De Palmas wonderful 1976 version of "Carrie".Do you know "Carrie"is set for a re-release in a brand new 4K restoration on October 18th?.
Oh yes Carrie was a good film. Do you mean the original 1976 one is being re-released? I shall have to look out for that

Top 10 isn’t long enough! A couple of people have mentioned Silence of the Lambs, that’s another that I watch any time it’s on, chilling but brilliant film.

And has anyone heard of Switch? Seems to be very little known and underrated film. From about 1991 and starring Ellen Barkin. Absolutely hilarious

In order and I make no apologies for the lack of black & white subtitled French “masterpieces” :rofl:
1. Rocky 4
2. Rocky 3
3. Rocky 5
4. Rocky 2
5. Rocky 1
6. Terminator 2
7. The Big Lebowski
8. The Equalizer
9. Training Day
10. Kelly’s Heroes

Oh yes Carrie was a good film. Do you mean the original 1976 one is being re-released? I shall have to look out for that

Top 10 isn’t long enough! A couple of people have mentioned Silence of the Lambs, that’s another that I watch any time it’s on, chilling but brilliant film.

And has anyone heard of Switch? Seems to be very little known and underrated film. From about 1991 and starring Ellen Barkin. Absolutely hilarious
Yes the 1976 adaptation of "Carrie" is being re-released on October 18th...and one week later John Carpenters original 1978 "Halloween" is re-released in a 4K restoration on October 25th....you're also right about The Silence of the Lambs...that film was quite brilliant...but have you ever seen Michael Manns film Manhunter?....if you haven't you really should...and finally I'm happy to say I've heard of the film "Switch"...and yes it was very funny.

Last edited:
This list reminds me that there are so many Great British Films.....
Kes
Get Carter
The remains of the day
Trainspotting
Nil by Mouth
A Fish called Wanda
The Lady Killers (et al)
The Long Good Friday / Mona Lise (The Great Bob Hoskins)
The Full Monty
Alfie
The Italian Job
The Commitments
Etc, etc

Last edited:
Back