What do u take on holiday for hypos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the names of insulin when i went away by contacting Novo Nordisk (I'm on levemir & novorapid) It took them a few days but they sent me a letter with all info I could need, I'd contact them 2 weeks before the next time I travel to somewhere slightly obscur! I also asked DUK the same question and they sent me a letter with the name of the nearest associated organisation, and a holiday guide to a country nearby, they didn't have one for where i was going!

ok so i should be ok with taking glucose tablets in my hand luggage?

will i be aloud to put other packets in my suitcase so i got some for throughout the week of my hol??? I got the clinic in two weeks so gonna see If i can get the gel.

Btw, why do u check the brand names for insulin? jsut wondered and will i need too ?? just dont want to miss anythin out before i go lol

Im off to Costa Del Sol for a week on the 3rd of July :D xxx

This is where the generic letter from your GP also comes in handy, stating you're a diabetic, needing to carry insulins, needles and other medication for your diabetes.

The gel is in a sealed container and it should fall within the limit for the transportation of liquids.

One point with your letter, try to get a generic 'to whom it may concern' and with no date - then it can be used time and time again.

You can of course buy juices etc airside, airport shops (WH Smiths etc) do tend to be more on a par with high street shops now, its when you're on the budget airlines that you get ripped off with their sky high prices!

Do I just make an appointment with my doctor to get a letter or do I contact a nurse at the diabetic clinic first??

and also see when i take my insulin in my hang luggage will the air hostess take it off me and keep it until i need it or will i be aloud to keep it?? and are you aloud to check your blood suagr on the plane if u need too?

i cant answer your recent post there but i do wish you a great time on your hols hun x

I'd suggest trying to get your doctor to write the note, always easier with officials when they see its from the Doctor and not a nurse...

As for handing over your insulin, there is no need to tell them you're diabetic or hand anything over, its safe to go as hand luggage by security, its therefore safe to be with you on the plane.

Just relax, do as you'd normally do and enjoy your flight and holiday! :D

and also see when i take my insulin in my hang luggage will the air hostess take it off me and keep it until i need it or will i be aloud to keep it?? and are you aloud to check your blood suagr on the plane if u need too?

I got my letter to take sharps on board from my DSN but it had to be signed and stamped by my GP.

Make sure you carry all your insulin & needles, testing kit etc with you in hand luggage, incase you loose your luggage (I hope you don't) or the temperature in the hold is very cold or hot. They shouldn't take anything off you at all.

Lots of us here have chatted before, and I'd be amazed if you are asked about any of your gear you take with you.

I'd take food in your luggage as well as some in your hand luggage too.

Enjoy the sun! (V. jealous!)

Have a great time Loz , 🙂🙂🙂🙂

I'd suggest trying to get your doctor to write the note, always easier with officials when they see its from the Doctor and not a nurse...

As for handing over your insulin, there is no need to tell them you're diabetic or hand anything over, its safe to go as hand luggage by security, its therefore safe to be with you on the plane.

Just relax, do as you'd normally do and enjoy your flight and holiday! :D

klkl ta mucho 🙂

How do u lot dispose of your needles and things on holiday?

do u take a sharps bin with you ??

ta.

ta.

What I do in Corfu is put them in a suitable container, a sharps bin packed in your hold luggage and just before the end of the holiday asked a pharmacist in a nearby town if he could dispose of them, I have on occassion been charged a few euros, usually nothing at all.

There is also a useful gadget for clipping the end off needles, called the BD Safeclip not too good for lances as I think the needles are too thick, however, for your pen needles you're then left with a small clipper (sealed) with all the needle tips in and the body of the pen needle without the sharp needle - therefore, putting them in a coke can for disposal in the waste isn't a bio-hazzard. You can get these on prescription, or buy them over the counter for a few pounds. Assuming they are still available..

Of course you need to consider local laws etc regarding the disposal of such items, so a spare sharps bin you take with you and bring back with you might be the only option - don't forget it can go in the hold, not as hand luggage.

ta.

I just put them in like a pencil case, or small bag, and put in sharps when got home.

Or get the little thing that lets you snap the sharp bit off so you can throw the rest away, they can hold thousands of sharps and are only 3 inches long or so.

Ask your gp/nurse/chemist, I got mine at the begining from nurse.

Im on the diabetes uk website looking at the travelling with diabetes page and it says that if you become unwell I will need to tell the doctor the generic name and not just the brand name of my insulin. What does it mean by generic??

I use novorpid and lantus...

ta

Im on the diabetes uk website looking at the travelling with diabetes page and it says that if you become unwell I will need to tell the doctor the generic name and not just the brand name of my insulin. What does it mean by generic??

I use novorpid and lantus...

ta

Sorry I don't know, I've just looked at the letter I got sent from novo Nordisk (they produce novorapid) and they didn't give me the generic name, but said the local name in Morocco is also novorapid. I don't know who produces Lantus. Maybe worth contacting novo nordisk & makers of lantus, and asking them for the info for where you are going?

klkl i shall phone novo nordisk and find out more info 🙂

Are you aloud to take your needles with your hand luggage??

klkl i shall phone novo nordisk and find out more info 🙂

Are you aloud to take your needles with your hand luggage??

Yes, you can carry needles in your hand luggage, I'd suggest a reasonable quantity in a bag, then a box in your suitcase.

That way you have enough needles until you can get more if your case is lost or parted company from you for any period of time.

Yes, you can carry needles in your hand luggage, I'd suggest a reasonable quantity in a bag, then a box in your suitcase.

That way you have enough needles until you can get more if your case is lost or parted company from you for any period of time.

Klkl Thanks 🙂

where do u get batteries for your blood meters??

do the shops sell them or will I contact my manufacturer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back