What do u take on holiday for hypos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wanted to ask you all, If you drink alot on holiday or do u tend to stay off the drink because of heat etc ??

ta

Good question loz!!

Well you'r'e on holiday so you wanna let your hair down and relax, right?

So do it, but have things in place, make sure people around you know, and test more often, as mikeinspain said heat works differently.

My only hol since diagnosis (sob sob) I wont say how much I drank, but when thinking about it now, not good, but I was testing very regularly!

It's boring but be sensible, or prepared at least!

fanks :D lets hope i get a suntan !!

are u from the uk?
Yep, originally from Bristol, been here for 7 years now.

Alcohol good question, heat combined with stronger booze, bigger measures and by far later nights( eg: not going out until midnight) provides a challenging time.

I would say this, Know your limits and make sure if you are holudaying with people that they know what to do if the s**t hits th proverbial fan..

Once thing for certain is that getting some decent food late in the night, early morning is pretty easy, so if you feel the need for a couple of snacks to keep you going then you should be ok.

🙂

Yep, originally from Bristol, been here for 7 years now.

Alcohol good question, heat combined with stronger booze, bigger measures and by far later nights( eg: not going out until midnight) provides a challenging time.

I would say this, Know your limits and make sure if you are holudaying with people that they know what to do if the s**t hits th proverbial fan..

Once thing for certain is that getting some decent food late in the night, early morning is pretty easy, so if you feel the need for a couple of snacks to keep you going then you should be ok.

🙂

Kool 🙂 thanks for your advice :D you've been a great help

No problem.. Have a great time!

Just wondered if any of you, once u get to ur hotel, do u tell the people at reception that ur diabetic???

and also how do u keep your blood meter from getting too hot if u take it with u on days out and stuff on hol ??

ta.

Just wondered if any of you, once u get to ur hotel, do u tell the people at reception that ur diabetic???

and also how do u keep your blood meter from getting too hot if u take it with u on days out and stuff on hol ??

ta.

I haven't told anyone, but if it makes you feel better go for it.

Might be worth looking at manufaturers website or the oinstruction manual about working temperatures of the blood meter, although I doubt you'll be that hot! If unsure put it in one of you frio bags?

The bigger issue maybe the small particles of sand if you a beach bum!!

what sore of medical id should i take or does it matter if i dont take any ??

Hi, I travel all the time and I have not had any problems with food taken through security eg sandwiches etc. Take some cereal bars with you just in case the meal if they serve on board is not suitable or non existent or too pricey! Ditch all liquids before security but once you have been through you can take water and juices onboard. Most security are OK with insulin and needles when you tell them they are in your bag though some will ask for a doctors letter to confirm your condition. If they do stop your bags to check just explain what you have and don't worry. Most security people are fine when you tell them you have diabetes. I have only had 1 experience when the security lady was a bit funny with my Frio packed insulin but I'm pretty sure they are all trained to understand medical problems. I hope this helps you.

I always have a supply of sandwich bags with me to keep used needles and test strips out of reach of hotel staff. Frio packs are the best way of keeping insulin cool so I guess they would help with keeping a meter cool too though I've not had a problem with mine on any climate.

I suppose you've been on holiday already but...

I suppose you've been on holiday already (and I hope you had a nice time) but... I will add these points to others looking for travel tips.

Try to keep your Diabetic supplies in the original cartons and keep them sealed if possible. Just another point to tell the doubting thomas customs.

Don't wear flashy jewelry. It may be your diabetic tag but it is bling/gold/silver to some little urchin.

If you have to order your medication for the local pharmasist then take your original bottle/box/pen etc with you as sometimes other countries have different doses than us and it will ensure you are getting the same stock or if not the Pharmacist could help you. (as long as you speak Outer-Mongolian!)

I will add to this if I think of any more.

Oh yes

Thought you would like to hear a stilly story.

When I went to Australia I had to fill in a form (like most places) informing them I am not taking any wierd stuff into the country. At the bottom of this form it said "..are you bringing in any drugs into this country"? Well, I pondered on this and replied no (My thoughts were that I am not a drug addict) (In my suitcase were month's worth of medication). Of course, I was pulled up by the customs. "We are worried Sir about the amount of medication you have in your suitcase and you replied NO to our Drugs Question" Ohhhh I seeee, I replied I thought you meant illegal drugs. Well you see sir, came the reply, these could very well be Illegal drugs! How so I replied, The Australian Govt. may not have issued a license for these medications and thus may be illegal and by not specifying it started to ring bells. Eeeeeeek I said. She smiled and she didn't even look at the boxes, I think she was making the point. "Welcome to Australia Sir" Geee thanx I was shaking like a leaf (or a hypo)

Hey all 🙂 Yes I am back my holidays, came back just over a week ago but been really busy, my dad hasnt been well :( anyway it was my first time on a plane and my god did I s**t myself lol goin through security at glasgow airport was fine, no1 wanted the letter or said anything. On the way home, the spanish guy looked in my bag but said it was ok and he didnt ask for a letter either, so I survived that part.
I did have a few high readings on my hol, I guess the heat didnt agree with me and my god I drank gallons of water!!!
I did find it hard to keep my insulin cool though while I was out and about, my large frio pack which I only got a week prior to the hol wasnt workin properly, bits of the crystals kept comin out of the inside grr. I only had my duo pack left and that got warm really easy and I also carried around an ice pack which melted within 1-2 hours then I had to buy cold drinks and it just turned into a nightmare lol but I had such a great time :D and im sure I will do it all again next year :D

Hope everyone is well, got lots of threads to catch up on i see 😛

love Lauren xx

Hey Welcome Back So I Did Pm You And Get It Right Then Lol I Wasnt Sure Pleased Your Hols Went Ok Bar The Odd Lil Hiccup

Sorry To Hear Your Dad Aint Been To Well Hope He Gets Well Soon , Yes U Been Away For Abit And Will Have Loads To Catch Up On

Nice To See You Back X

Hey Welcome Back So I Did Pm You And Get It Right Then Lol I Wasnt Sure Pleased Your Hols Went Ok Bar The Odd Lil Hiccup

Sorry To Hear Your Dad Aint Been To Well Hope He Gets Well Soon , Yes U Been Away For Abit And Will Have Loads To Catch Up On

Nice To See You Back X

Aww thanks very much :D glad ur well & its nice to know that i was missed hehe

mwah xx

Hey all 🙂 Yes I am back my holidays, came back just over a week ago but been really busy, my dad hasnt been well :( anyway it was my first time on a plane and my god did I s**t myself lol goin through security at glasgow airport was fine, no1 wanted the letter or said anything. On the way home, the spanish guy looked in my bag but said it was ok and he didnt ask for a letter either, so I survived that part.
I did have a few high readings on my hol, I guess the heat didnt agree with me and my god I drank gallons of water!!!
I did find it hard to keep my insulin cool though while I was out and about, my large frio pack which I only got a week prior to the hol wasnt workin properly, bits of the crystals kept comin out of the inside grr. I only had my duo pack left and that got warm really easy and I also carried around an ice pack which melted within 1-2 hours then I had to buy cold drinks and it just turned into a nightmare lol but I had such a great time :D and im sure I will do it all again next year :D

Hope everyone is well, got lots of threads to catch up on i see 😛

love Lauren xx
Hi Ya

Glad you had a great time.. Would have been pretty warm for you whilst you were here.
I remember when I went away for the 1st time soon after I was diagnosed way back when and took frio pouches, asked for a fridge to be provided etc...

Funny thing is, since I have been in Spain. Not once has anyone mentioned anything about keeping insulin cool apart from keeping the unused/unopened insulin in the fridge.

Strange for such a warm country that their are no products that cater for this market..

All my unused insulin is safely located in the fridge, but my novorapid is placed in my pocket. Not sure if that is particulary wise, but @ 25? inside hopefully not too much of a problem (fingers crossed)

PS: Sorry to everyone about the weather and me going on about how nice it is..

Hey Loz,

Glad you had a good time, but bummer about your frio pack, after we were all talking them up!

Hope your dad gets better soon.

Hopefully you'll have better luck next time.

Cheers

Rossi.

Wanderlust magazine

Article "Dealing with diabetes" in Wanderlust (adventure travel magazine) issue 105, Aug / Sept 09.

Article "Dealing with diabetes" in Wanderlust (adventure travel magazine) issue 105, Aug / Sept 09.
Hi

Does the wanderlust have an online version of the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back