What did you eat yesterday?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@NotWorriedAtAll do you think the syrups would be good in porridge and coffee? xx

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
B - almond butter on toast, I found some Livlife bread in my local Waitrose, only 3.8g carbs per slice and £1.55 a loaf! Would cost much more to make my own with almond flour so really happy to find this
L - homemade soup
T - steak, celeriac chips, mushrooms and green beans. Mixed berries for pudding with a spoon of double cream

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I tried to do the low carb and didn't do too badly apart from half a tiny pork pie and half an individual trifle which I didn't want to waste. Stupidity is my middle name.

B: Scrambled Eggs (4) too many I know but I thought I wouldn't be eating again till five, I forgot about family, I go off the rails when with family.
L: The trifle and pork pie.
Snack: Thin small Hovis crust with peanut butter and slivers of onion.
D: Scrambled Eggs and 2 Sausages. Fancy that! I got back to it. Unheard of. Normally that 'lunch' would have triggered a day/night long binge, but I'm fed-up with fussing. Can't do the liquid diet so just do low carb and have done with it.

Had no choice but to have scrambled eggs again as I gave the whole roast chicken etc to family. I am weird with food! Mind you, there was that frozen cod in the freezer, I could have had that. I was dithery.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I found almond milk! They have it in Aldi. I might give the porridge another whirl if I can just control myself with the peanut butter. Step away from the jar!

ConfusedCraig

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Because it is my birthday, or was yesterday anyway, as a birthday meal I had a 13.5" dominoe's pizza. Ate 3/4 of it in one sitting along with one of thier packs of melt in the middle chocolate orange cookies (main reason I got the pizza, truth be told).

3/4 of a 13.5" pizza and some cookies. 4.9 an hour before, 8.0 an hour after, 5.9 two hours after.

Honestly I am beginning to wonder if I am actually diabetic. Highest spike I have seen is 9.4 and that's from a meal that had upwards of 300 grams of carbs in it. But I had a Hb1ac of 68 so I have to be diabetic... What set it off though?

That being said, I seem to be very tolerant of carbs which is a lucky stroke for a diabetic :D.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That being said, I seem to be very tolerant of carbs which is a lucky stroke for a diabetic :D
unfortunately most find toleracies change over the years xx

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@NotWorriedAtAll do you think the syrups would be good in porridge and coffee? xx
Yes. I tried the Maple Syrup one in coffee with some extra cinnamon (I am addicted to cinnamon) and it was lovely. They sell syrups specifically for coffees in bigger glass bottles but I prefer my everyday coffee black and unsweetened so i haven't bothered with them. They have all the coffee shop style favourites.

I tried their brown sauce today.
Bad news - it tastes nothing like brown sauce.
Good news - it tastes exactly like Hoisin sauce!! Which is better for me because I love Peking duck so from now on I can have it and use their brown sauce for Hoisin. I also have a recipe for keto pancakes to have with Peking duck so that's another one of my favourites back on the menu :p

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Amazing thanks @NotWorriedAtAll if I get any money for my birthday in a couple of weeks I'll try a few as I'm obsessed with gingerbread atm lol xx

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Amazing thanks @NotWorriedAtAll if I get any money for my birthday in a couple of weeks I'll try a few as I'm obsessed with gingerbread atm lol xx
I am trying to make decent ginger biscuits/ gingerbread. That's my next goal. I made some but they were not gingery enough - I think adding grated fresh ginger may be the key to that.

Oh and I realised why the brown sauce didn't taste like brown sauce and tasted like hoisin sauce. I bought smoky barbecue sauce instead of brown sauce - which is of course incredibly like hoisin sauce.

I'm getting a free sample pack from Skinny soon so I'll have some brown sauce in that to try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Breakfast time 4 units of Fiasp
Glass of water with a dash of Balsamic vinegar and a cup of coffee with cream.
30g of Eat Natural Protein granola with a few defrosted frozen raspberries, mixed seeds (from Lidl), a teaspoon of psyllium husks and two good dollops of Lidl Milbona Creamy Greek Natural yoghurt (approx. 30g carbs)
.... followed by....
fried mushrooms, halloumi and an egg with a large side salad of mixed leaves with cucumber, 1 cherry tomato, a quarter of a red pepper and a big dollop of Lidl cheese coleslaw (approx. 10g carbs)

No lunch

Dinner (3 units of Fiasp)
We had a power cut so not able to cook and therefore we treated ourselves to a Chinese takeaway.
I had maybe 10 prawn crackers with a very small amount of chicken and sweetcorn soup.... none of which I have had since diagnosis. I allowed 1 unit of insulin for this which seemed to work well.... followed by....
a whole portion of chinese stir fried veg with a small amount of my partner's char sui with ginger and spring onion and 2 dessert spoons of his rice to soak up the juices. I have had this before and know it takes 2 units of insulin.

It was a real treat! Went to bed with a nice steady reading of 7.4.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Breakfast (4 units of Fiasp)
Glass of water with a sash of balsamic and a cup of coffee with double cream
30g Eat Natural Protein Granola, a few defrosted frozen raspberries, mixed seeds, a teaspoon of psyllium husk and 2 good dollops of Lidl Milbona creamy Greek Natural yoghurt
followed by...
Fried halloumi, mushrooms and an egg with salad leaves, a large cherry tomato, an inch of cucmber and a quarter of a red pepper with a large dollop of cheese coleslaw

No lunch

Dinner (4 units of Fiasp)
Sea bass marinaded in lemon juice and pan fried in butter with aubergine and courgette and served with steamed broccoli and 3 small pieces of sweet potato followed by a Lidl Raspberry Trifle (23g) (Total approx 40g carbs)
Cup of tea with milk
Had a Lidl dark chocolate Leberkuchen (ginger bread) heart filled with apricot jam (6g if I remember rightly) to bring my levels up a bit as I was too low to go to bed.

Had several glasses of tap water with an inch of Lidl Mexican lime and elderflower water throughout the day.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today
B - porridge made with almond milk and a load of almond butter, mug of coffee
D - wholemeal german peppered salami sandwich and a raspberry cake bar, pint of water
T - smoked gammon steak, baby potatoes, roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts, wee drop of gravy then 1 square Lidl 95%
mug of cafetiere coffee
(this stuff is bloody amazing, got 4 bars in the cupboard now and have more on the way for my birthday :D) pint of water
mug of coffee
xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Breakfast (4 units o Fiasp)
Glass of water with a dash of balsamic vinegar and a cup of coffee with cream.
30g Eat Natural Protein Granola with a few raspberries, mixed seeds, a teaspoon of psyllium husk, and 2 good dessert spoon dollops of Lidl Milbona Creamy Greek Natural Yoghurt
followed by
4xrashers of streaky bacon fried with mushrooms and an egg with a large side salad of salad leaves, a large cherry tomato, an inch of cucumber, a quarter of a red pepper and a good dollop of cheese coleslaw

No lunch
Glass of water with an inch of Lidl Mexican Lime and Elderflower sparkling flavoured water

Evening meal. (3 units of Fiasp)
Glass of rum and diet coke and a glass of water
Roast chicken with roasted swede, carrot and two pieces of roast potato, with cabbage and cauliflower cheese.
Lidl Chocolate marzipan gingerbread(22g carbs ... to counteract an impending hypo) and some stewed cooking apple and cream before bed..

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yet another regime due to finishing 'Breakfast Is A Dangerous Meal' by Terence Kealy ... the blurb reads "Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but only if we skip it. Since Victorian times, we have been told to breakfast like kings and dine like paupers. In the wake of his own type 2 diabetes diagnosis, Professor Terence Kealey was given the same advice..."

I'll try anything once...

Weight: 14stones 11.8pounds Tum: 50 1/2inches

Breakfast: 7.8 @ 5.56am / Pint water with fibre / 1 Nescafe with dash milk
Lunch @ noon: 2 Poached Eggs, 1 slice white Toast with too much Anchor butter, 1 Red Onion, tons Garlic, tons Baby Tomatoes, 2 rashers Bacon (olive oil) / Pint water with meds.
Dinner @ 6ish: Pint water / White fish steamed, pile Cauli mashed with Anchor, lots Broccoli / Pint water

It's hard trying to eat within an 8 hour window... I was ravenous by noon!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yet another regime due to finishing 'Breakfast Is A Dangerous Meal' by Terence Kealy ... the blurb reads "Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but only if we skip it. Since Victorian times, we have been told to breakfast like kings and dine like paupers. In the wake of his own type 2 diabetes diagnosis, Professor Terence Kealey was given the same advice..."

I'll try anything once...

Weight: 14stones 11.8pounds Tum: 50 1/2inches

Breakfast: 7.8 @ 5.56am / Pint water with fibre / 1 Nescafe with dash milk
Lunch @ noon: 2 Poached Eggs, 1 slice white Toast with too much Anchor butter, 1 Red Onion, tons Garlic, tons Baby Tomatoes, 2 rashers Bacon (olive oil) / Pint water with meds.
Dinner @ 6ish: Pint water / White fish steamed, pile Cauli mashed with Anchor, lots Broccoli / Pint water

It's hard trying to eat within an 8 hour window... I was ravenous by noon!
Who is he i have not heard of him?

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wow I’m amazed at what some people can eat - almost a normal diet. Yesterday I had a slice of multi seed toast (husband doesn’t like Burgen) with butter and marmite and several milky coffees - sent me to 12.2. Lunch was toast again with home made soup and dinner was tuna pasta with blueberries and Greek yoghurt

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wow I’m amazed at what some people can eat - almost a normal diet. Yesterday I had a slice of multi seed toast (husband doesn’t like Burgen) with butter and marmite and several milky coffees - sent me to 12.2. Lunch was toast again with home made soup and dinner was tuna pasta with blueberries and Greek yoghurt
As a Type 1 there isn't really anything stopping a near normal diet, I'm surprised you can do pasta as a lot struggle with that, as for spiking to 12.2 etc work on your bolus timings and maybe look at altering the amount of milk you take or switch to an alternative lower in carbs xx

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know pasta is supposed to be a no,no but occasional pasta and a bacon butty have both left me in my Libre green zone - only if it’s an OCCASIONAL treat. As for my milky coffee I just can’t imagine life without it and although I try to reduce the number my diabetes will just have to get used to it!!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know pasta is supposed to be a no,no but occasional pasta and a bacon butty have both left me in my Libre green zone - only if it’s an OCCASIONAL treat. As for my milky coffee I just can’t imagine life without it and although I try to reduce the number my diabetes will just have to get used to it!!
maybe I see things differently as someone who suffered complications with good control but spikes can contribute to long term health with diabetes and lead to complications so I myself having suffered from 2 already would limit those spikes to the best of my ability and adjust where needed

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Who is he i have not heard of him?
I hadn't either but somebody on this forum mentioned either him or the book and of course I had to delve in and buy it off ebay. He's very all or nothing I think this fella, he says porridge is a killer! I'm absolutely ravenous, it's noon, I'm away to the kitchen...