What did you eat yesterday?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Ditto I have no option, with 2 eye complications already I can't risk straying with my levels, I want to be around to start a family and have a life with Bruce, the only way to achieve that is limit my exposure to swinging BG levels, I never used to be this way, before I was diagnosed I'd come home (often after not eating the whole day even though I'd been working) have my tea then pig on utter crap and drink booze but living like that wasn't going to achieve anything, I wish I could comfort eat as I'm also struggling to make it through each day and don't want to get up in the mornings as there's nothing to look forward to, just another day of stress, anxiety and cleaning things and washing my hands but I can't as its not worth the damage it could do xx

ConfusedCraig

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think I'd rather just give things up, like not having any biscuits if I can't have the whole packet. That is my trouble, greedy and want the lot.

That's the problem I have too. Yes or No are easy, but moderation is the difficult part because I end up having a little bit more than I should, then a little bit more after that and a little bit more after that until I am eating too much.

I am actually finding keeping an (as much as is possible) calorie accurate food diary helps with this. I have some habanero chilli peanuts as a snack stockpile that I would love to eat whole packs of for example but knowing that I will have to put it in the diary and it won't just be forgotten is helping me ration it out (eating a third of a pack a day at most).

But it's an individual thing. I have gained and then lost a load of weight 3 times in my life and I find that when you lose the weight it's not really something you force yourself to do just a switch kind of flicks in your head and then you're fine eating far less. The problem for me is that I am very nervous and habitually comfort eat. Once I lose the weight I end up giving in to a bit of comfort eating when I am feeling down (as what's the harm?) but then that little bit of comfort eating becomes 10+ inches on the waistband overnight :?

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I need to get sensible like y'all. I will tomorrow. Always tomorrow. Maybe from teatime today then... good grief, I'm pathetic. I'm watching wall to wall fat programmes in an effort to be motivated, it works a bit. They just had somebody on whose parents died horrific deaths due to diabetes, he said his Dad basically ended up a torso. I watch stuff like this and carry on regardless. :rolleyes:

Kaylz I think you do great and you're an inspiration. Craig I hope you were joking about ten inches on overnight heh! :D

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I need to get sensible like y'all. I will tomorrow. Always tomorrow. Maybe from teatime today then... good grief, I'm pathetic. I'm watching wall to wall fat programmes in an effort to be motivated, it works a bit. They just had somebody on whose parents died horrific deaths due to diabetes, he said his Dad basically ended up a torso. I watch stuff like this and carry on regardless. :rolleyes:

Kaylz I think you do great and you're an inspiration. Craig I hope you were joking about ten inches on overnight heh! :D
I keep on telling you we are not all what you call sensible, as you say. I fall off the wagon at times.
We don't all do ultra low carb.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
More chips experiments. Coconut flour ones this time.
My first plate full of fish and chips for over a year!
This whole plate is about 15g of carbs and my blood sugar before was 6.1 and after was 6.1 and an hour later 6.4
Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 15.01.06.png

My non diabetic husband had the same and he agrees with me that these 'chips' are nicer than potato ones.
This really is easy Ditto.
You just mix (for one person) 25g of coconut flour with one and a half teaspoons of xanthan gum and then four or five tablespoons of warm water and then smoosh it together until it comes together in a ball. Then let it sit for ten minutes and then oil a rolling pin (or bottle if you haven't a pin or you could just flatten it with your hands) and then roll it out very thin (like you would a pastry for a pie) on a piece of non-stick something or an oiled glass surface then cut it into strips (oil a knife or use a plastic pastry thingy and just press it out) you can either shallow fry in olive oil or oven cook them like oven chips.

The portion you see there is just under the amount you'd get for 25g of coconut flour. I made double that and shared with my husband. But even if you ate the full 50g yield - it would only be 28g carbs which is still low carb if you have it with a couple of fried eggs or fish wrapped in bacon.

I just wrapped the frozen chunk of fish with a single rasher of streaky bacon and cooked it at 175C in the oven for around 30 minutes.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@NotWorriedAtAll You are such an absolute inspiration!
I am frightened of cooking fish because it is not something I have ever done much of. I will pan fry salmon or very occasionally sea bass in butter but I have such a mental block about it, I really find it hard to motivate myself every time. Maybe I should commit to having fish every other day for a fortnight and practice will make me more confident to keep doing it. Would never have thought to wrap frozen fish in bacon and oven bake. I might pluck up the courage to try this.
Pleased you posted a recipe using coconut flour instead of almond (as you may know I have reservations about almond farming) Is it possible to buy xanthan gum in the supermarket or will I have to source it online?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'll do yesterday's and todays seen as I know what's to come later so

Yesterday
B - oats made with unsweetened almond milk and crunchy peanut butter, mug of coffee
D - wholemeal spicy chorizo sandwich, chunky peanut butter kit kat and a pint of water
T - mince in oxo with mushrooms and an egg cooked in, baby potatoes, steamed broccoli and a knob of butter on the plate, 1 square Lidl 95% chocolate and a pint of blueberry & blackberry diluting
mug of coffee
1 and a half digestives and about a quarter of a hobnob that was left in the tub

Today
B - oats made with unsweetened almond milk and limited edition gingerbread flavour almond butter, mug of coffee
D - samw sandwich but a raspberry cake bar instead of the kit kat, pint of water
T will be - smoked basa fillet, baby potatoes, steamed cauliflower and then a bar of Moser Roth 85%, pint of blueberry & blackberry diluting
mug of coffee
hopefully (fingers crossed) some biscuits

Got a whole heap of cold meats to get through, currently have german salami, german peppered salami, danish salami, spicy chorizo and some tikka chicken slices, half came in the Morrison's order yesterday so will get Bruce to bring them up on Wednesday xx

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That plate of fish and chips looks fabulous. :)

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@NotWorriedAtAll You are such an absolute inspiration!
I am frightened of cooking fish because it is not something I have ever done much of. I will pan fry salmon or very occasionally sea bass in butter but I have such a mental block about it, I really find it hard to motivate myself every time. Maybe I should commit to having fish every other day for a fortnight and practice will make me more confident to keep doing it. Would never have thought to wrap frozen fish in bacon and oven bake. I might pluck up the courage to try this.
Pleased you posted a recipe using coconut flour instead of almond (as you may know I have reservations about almond farming) Is it possible to buy xanthan gum in the supermarket or will I have to source it online?
I get xanthan gum off Amazon.
This is the one I bought in May and I still have about 1/4 tub left and I've been using it a lot. It goes a long way. I think it is good value at around seven quid for 500g.
I buy organic vegan Spanish almond flour from Amazon as well as Spanish methods of production are kind to bees and use less water compared with the US methods.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 18.07.00.png
I made keto ginger cake for my birthday cake tomorrow and it smelled so wonderful and I haven't had ginger cake for years so we had a chunk each today!! No will power.

I've caved in and started buying Skinny Syrup and Skinny Sauces. I used the Skinny Syrup - Maple syrup instead of molasses in this recipe, swapped 'normal' flour out and swapped almond flour in, swapped demerara sugar out and swapped NKDLiving Brown erythritol sugar in, everything else I kept in the triple gingerbread recipe except I doubled the ground ginger amount and didn't use candied ginger - just the ground and grated fresh ginger root.
Four eggs, 50g of butter, 140g almond flour, 10g psyllium husk, 1/3cup maple skinny syrup, 2/3 cup brown erythritol, a splash of ginger wine (that was instead of water in the recipe) and Bob's your uncle.

It made a big cake. :p Smelled amazing.
Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 18.02.15.png
I had four small frankfurters for breakfast with half a tomato and an egg and a king oyster mushroom. Tea to drink.

A packet of salami for lunch - 170g and a cup of coffee.

Chunk of ginger cake with extra thick cream and a squirt of Maple syrup (Skinny Syrup). The Skinny syrup has negligible carbs and tastes exactly like the Maple syrup I remember having as a kid with pancakes and ice cream at a local American Diner. So I'm in bliss. Had orange spice tea to drink.

Blood sugar 6.8 a couple of hours afterwards - I sneaked a spoonful of my husband's tinned chicken curry - which was only 3.8 carbs per 100. I hadn't realised that before - he's been having his tins because I thought they were high carb!! I shall sneak some of them from now on - it was yummy.

ConfusedCraig

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had a bacon sandwich, fairly large one, first time in my life (never eaten bacon before this week). Was okay. Huge sandwich and blood sugar 2 hours after was 6.1 (forgot to measure before). I also tried a bit of green and blacks white chocolate (18g) because it is fantastic. Blood sugar 30m beforehand was 6.1 (which is where I know the bacon sandwich from). Blood sugar an hour after was 5.6

I now have an excuse to binge on white chocolate! :D Admittedly it's not as nice as a ginger cake but still.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@NotWorriedAtAll send me some ginger cake! It's my birthday in a couple of weeks too and that looks real tasty! lol xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Happy Birthday! @NotWorriedAtAll I don't blame you for having a slice of birthday cake early. It looks delicious. Hope you have had a lovely day.
And thanks so much for the info on Xanthan Gum and also the Spanish Almonds.... will look into those products. Cheers!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That cake looks fabulous. Yum. They have tinned chicken curry, my son loves it. I'm gonna try it then. :)

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That cake looks fabulous. Yum. They have tinned chicken curry, my son loves it. I'm gonna try it then. :)

Be careful which brand and which style curry Ditto.

Morrisons Chicken Jalfrezi (which you can get delivered from Amazon's same day delivery or Prime Now) has only 1.9g carbs per 100 so that is great - but have it with cauliflower rice or konjac rice and not real rice.

Morrisons chicken korma - is 4.0g per 100.

Tesco tinned chicken curry is 1.8g per 100g

Tesco beef curry is 4.3g per 100

Tesco tinned chicken jalfrezi is 4.1 g per 100 which is a big difference from the morrisons jalfrezi having only 1.9g per 100.

Tesco chicken tikka masala is 4.6 per 100.

but i think all of them are not too bad compared with what you sometimes end up eating - so a possible way to have something you like which makes you feel full and like you are being naughty but without it being naughty at all. xxx

casting an eye over the Asda ones they look similar too. I'm quite surprised I was expecting some scary carb counts but as long as it is just a meat in a sauce (and no potato chunks or starchy lentils etc ) it looks like tinned curry is not a bad choice generally. I have to be more careful because I am trying to keep my carbs under 20g a day - but for someone on a low carb rather than keto diet and if you can be firm about not having nan bread/poppadum/chapatis/rice and have it either on its own or with something like green beans or cabbage you'd be okay.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
compared with what you sometimes end up eating - so a possible way to have something you like which makes you feel full and like you are being naughty but without it being naughty at all. xxx

This is very true. :) Today I'm trying to get back to milk diet. I feel I have to use up all the other foods first, I can't bear waste. I'm really daft. I'm going to read Colin's thread for inspiration.

Yesterday you wouldn't believe what I ate! Or maybe you would. :)

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
B - porridge and crunchy peanut butter and a mug of coffee
D - wholemeal sandwich with sliced tikka chicken from Morrisons, was really nice! :) and a raspberry cake bar, pint of water
cup of coffee
T - smoked gammon steak, roasted broccoli, baby potatoes, wee bit of gravy and 1 square Lidl 95%, pint of water from a bottle of water as taps were running dirty water earlier in the afternoon
mug of coffee
xx

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My wife found another fish recipe on the BBC Good Food website so for our tea yesterday we had Haddock & Spinach Cheese Melt. Only 5g carb per portion, so even with the cauli mash I had with mine I doubt that carbs reached double figures. Was going to test 2 hours later but I completely forgot!

Martin

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My wife found another fish recipe on the BBC Good Food website so for our tea yesterday we had Haddock & Spinach Cheese Melt. Only 5g carb per portion, so even with the cauli mash I had with mine I doubt that carbs reached double figures. Was going to test 2 hours later but I completely forgot!

Martin
Oo that sounds nice.

I stayed up all night last night - I've been trying to get my studio/living room tidied and organised and I suddenly got into a roll with it so I just kept on until it was mostly done. So I slept from 6 in the morning to 12.30 in the afternoon.

Then I had a delivery of sweets!! I haven't had boiled sweets for longer than I can remember - at least two years and I finally decided to try some sugar free ones and bought a kilo tub of pineapple fizz sweets. They can't be zero carb because they are over 200 calories for a kilo. But I checked my blood sugars after eating some and an hour later and two hours on and no change in my levels - so I'm counting that a win.

I had ham slices with boursin as wraps for brunch and a slice of keto flaxseed bread and decaff green tea to drink.

Then I had some sweets during the afternoon.

Then I made keto coconut fries with more ham, a fried egg and a squirt of Skinny Syrup Co Chip Shop Curry Sauce - which is zero carbs and zero calories.

I have bought a selection of sauces and syrups from their range (paid over the odds because I bought from Amazon before finding out I can get them much cheaper direct from the Nottingham firm that makes them) and I have got a link that gives people a 20% discount on their products and gives me some sort of commission or discount or something (I can't work it out exactly) as well.

I don't know if it is okay to share something like that on here. I've got it on my Naughty Diabetic Page on Facebook (link in my signature) if anyone fancies giving it a try.

Their Maple Syrup was excellent. I used it in my birthday ginger cake and poured it over as well.

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
B - homemade granola with almond milk
L - homemade tomato soup
T - sea bass with lemon and herb butter, with stir fried veg
Such a low carb day that I then ate a Hotel Chocolat champagne truffle, first chocolate in ages, that one chocolate lasted me about 10 mins (never managed that before) didn’t even crave a second one, it’s amazing how your taste can change?