Snack (11am): Banana {66 Cal / 15.0g Carbs}
...............................2 mile walk
...............................5 km on rowing machine

Lunch (12pm): Prawns, avocado, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes,
rye bread, hummus {258 Cal / 16.0g Carbs}

Snack (4pm): Vegetable soup / tangerine {191 Cal / 25.9g Carbs}
..............................2 mile walk
..............................5 km on rowing machine

Dinner (7pm): Spanish fish stew, green beans, pangrattato {331 Cal / 34.6g Carbs}
Dessert: Strawberries, blueberries, vanilla ice cream, almonds {163 Cal / 15.4g Carbs}

3 cups of coffee too

Calories 1654
Carbs 185.8g
Protein 94.0g
Fat 46.4g (Sat Fat 8.8g / Trans fat 0.2g)

FBG today (6/2 05:30) 4.3
All food cooked from scratch, if you would like any recipes please just ask

B: 1 Fuel Protein Wheat Biscuit, nuts & seeds, ground linseed, cinnamon with double cream & almond milk
L: Chicken & stuffing salad
Snack: 1 slice toasted Burgen & butter
Pud: Strawberry jelly & berries

Right guys hoping I can get an answer here, if I'm doing fresh veg to get the carbs right do I weigh mines before or after boiling? Please help a lass in need! haha xx

Right guys hoping I can get an answer here, if I'm doing fresh veg to get the carbs right do I weigh mines before or after boiling? Please help a lass in need! haha xx
No idea! I wouldn't have thought that boiling a veg would do much for its carb content either way. I wouldn't have thought they either lose or gain water ( which is what would account for the difference) when immersed in a pan of it. You could do a one off test, weigh them before and after boiling and see how much difference there is, if there's not a lot, ( as in, not enough for you to have calculated your insulin dose differently) then you can please yourself. If there is a big difference, though, it's back to the drawing board! (But I suspect there won't be)

No idea! I wouldn't have thought that boiling a veg would do much for its carb content either way. I wouldn't have thought they either lose or gain water ( which is what would account for the difference) when immersed in a pan of it. You could do a one off test, weigh them before and after boiling and see how much difference there is, if there's not a lot, ( as in, not enough for you to have calculated your insulin dose differently) then you can please yourself. If there is a big difference, though, it's back to the drawing board! (But I suspect there won't be)
I currently weigh it after boiling it which I don't have a problem with and remain quite stable but it was something I saw on another forum that I would find it difficult to get carb values for par-boiled veg, which I thought would be the same as in its raw state to be honest (its Brussel sprouts surely the weight cant dramatically change 🙄) x

I weigh mine before cooking and use the value for raw veg (cronometer.com). There is a slightly different value for cooked veg but I find it easier to weigh when dry. As a T2 though, it isn't particularly critical for me, just for info and interest only.

I weigh mine before cooking and use the value for raw veg (cronometer.com). There is a slightly different value for cooked veg but I find it easier to weigh when dry. As a T2 though, it isn't particularly critical for me, just for info and interest only.
Oh thanks! I've never heard of that site so I will go and have a look! Thanks again! 🙂 xx

Vince, how do you cook your steaks? I normally just fry mine in the frying pan, but I don't know how good grilling would be?

Yesterday:
B: Greggs Bacon Roll
L: Hovis WG sandwich with cheese, ham, lettuce and cucumber, packet of Wotsits, peanut and chocolate Nature Valley bar, and a walk!
D: Tesco hot counter meat - a cumberland sausage, 4 cod bites and 5 chicken nuggets. Nice. No rise 🙂 Dessert was a portion of Cookie Dough Halo-Top.

@Beck S I don't know how Vince does his but we do ours on the health grill then stick them in the oven on low temp to keep warm until they are served (as they only fit 2 at a time and there is 4 of us lol) they remain really tender and are delicious 🙂 xx

Vince, how do you cook your steaks? I normally just fry mine in the frying pan, but I don't know how good grilling would be?

Yesterday:
B: Greggs Bacon Roll
L: Hovis WG sandwich with cheese, ham, lettuce and cucumber, packet of Wotsits, peanut and chocolate Nature Valley bar, and a walk!
D: Tesco hot counter meat - a cumberland sausage, 4 cod bites and 5 chicken nuggets. Nice. No rise 🙂 Dessert was a portion of Cookie Dough Halo-Top.
@Beck S
In the UK I have Tefal OptiGrill which is brilliant. It has built in sensors thet detect the thickness of the meat and the internal temperature. It then has an LED light that also changes colour and tells you how "done" it. Rare Medium Well Done etc. They have them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-GC72...2&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tefal+optigrill&psc=1
Here I pan fry them in a hot frying pan.
Important is to let the steak come up to room temperature. That is vital. Then I heat the pan until it is hot, no oil, season the steak and put in the pan for around 3 minutes per side. Sometimes less or more depending on how thick the steak is. Using a hot pan sears the meat and seals it. Oil makes the steak soggy.
I like mine rare to medium rare and usually that is enough time actually in the pan.
Then I wrap it in foil and let it stand for around 5 minutes to rest.
I much prefer that way to grilling to be honest. When grilling the juices escape the steak and it can be a little dry.
Pan frying is a good method.

Last edited:
@Beck S
In the UK I have Tefal OptiGrill which is brilliant. It has built in sensors thet detect the thickness of the meat and the internal temperature. It then has an LED light that also changes colour and tells you how "done" it. Rare Medium Well Done etc. They have them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-GC72...2&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tefal+optigrill&psc=1
Here I pan fry them in a hot frying pan.
Important is to let the steak come up to room temperature. That is vital. Then I heat the pan until it is hot, no oil, season the steak and put in the pan for around 3 minutes per side. Sometimes less or more depending on how thick the steak is. Using a hot pan sears the meat and seals it. Oil makes the steak soggy.
I like mine rare to medium rare and usually that is enough time actually in the pan.
Then I wrap it in foil and let it stand for around 5 minutes to rest.
I much prefer that way to grilling to be honest. When grilling the juices escape the steak and it can be a little dry.
Pan frying is a good method.

I always pan fry steaks and oil and season the steaks not the pan. Make sure to drain too much water and fat off when they’re cooking otherwise they’ll stew instead of frying.

Thanks guys. I used to have a George Foreman, but found it used to make the steaks the texture of beef joint and I didn't really like it. Never thought of draining, or not using oil though. Will have to keep that in mind when I try them next.

I always pan fry steaks and oil and season the steaks not the pan. Make sure to drain too much water and fat off when they’re cooking otherwise they’ll stew instead of frying.
Drag a steak through a warm kitchen, it is done perfectly.:D

Today
B - jumbo oats, almond milk, raspberries, knob of butter and a coffee
mid-morning - coffee
D - a very healthy wholemeal smoked Bavarian ham and cucumber sandwich 🙂 and a not so healthy bar MR 85% 😳
mid-afternoon - coffee
T - chicken, charlotte potatoes, sprouts, chicken gravy and a square Lindt 90%
Just had - another coffee x

B - 2 boiled eggs, slice low carb toast made into dipping soldiers :D

L - small breakfast in a cafe, bacon, sausage (decent quality), black pudding, egg, tomato, spoonful beans & slice of grilled potato with slice of wholemeal toast (7.6 two hours after that)

D - chicken kiev, few crispy seasoned potato lattice slices, big salad with everything inc. sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn, cucumber, crunchy lettuce, piccolo tomatoes, red pepper, broccoli, spring onions & beetroot plus a dollop of sour cream dip 😛

Snacks - will have 5.3 grams of chocolate carb with my cuppa!

B - 2 boiled eggs, slice low carb toast made into dipping soldiers :D

L - small breakfast in a cafe, bacon, sausage (decent quality), black pudding, egg, tomato, spoonful beans & slice of grilled potato with slice of wholemeal toast (7.6 two hours after that)

D - chicken kiev, few crispy seasoned potato lattice slices, big salad with everything inc. sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn, cucumber, crunchy lettuce, piccolo tomatoes, red pepper, broccoli, spring onions & beetroot plus a dollop of sour cream dip 😛

Snacks - will have 5.3 grams of chocolate carb with my cuppa!
I always make a salad with absolutely everything in it. Don't like to think i'm missing out on something.:D

I always make a salad with absolutely everything in it. Don't like to think i'm missing out on something.:D

Agree, Mark, I ordered a salad with a Pub meal last week and it was an absolute mound of lettuce and one sliced tomato! Nothing else! 🙄

Today
Tea
B: 40g all bran & a handful of bluberries with skimmed milk, 3 scrambled eggs
L: Baxters French onion soup & a banana
Nakd bar
T: Chinese takeaway - satay chicken & chicken mushroom (no rice), coffee.
Tea during the day

Some bad news today - I saw the nurse today (not a diabetes appt.) and I've put on 5kg since October 😱 - obviously I've got to get a grip 😳

Today
Porridge with alpro
Satsuma
Bag oven baked crisps
Tuna and cucumber wholemeal sandwich
Mullerlight yogurt
Chinese buffet including chicken soup, apple pie and cream and mostly chicken things plus vegetables and mushrooms plus wee drop noodles (birthday tea for grandson)
OMG 1 hour later BG 22.4and quite a full feeling

Today
Tea
B: 40g all bran & a handful of bluberries with skimmed milk, 3 scrambled eggs
L: Baxters French onion soup & a banana
Nakd bar
T: Chinese takeaway - satay chicken & chicken mushroom (no rice), coffee.
Tea during the day

Some bad news today - I saw the nurse today (not a diabetes appt.) and I've put on 5kg since October 😱 - obviously I've got to get a grip 😳
It’s hard with festive season and cold weather. Hope she didn’t make you feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back