What are you reading?

Finished up The Safekeep yesterday. Was alright, but I’m pretty sure I’ve read similar before and so I wasn’t sure what the fuss was about (it had a heck of a bidding war for the manuscript). Started The Moonday Letters by Emmi Itäranta, which has been on my to-read list for years now. So far, so beautiful.

I've started reading Rain Men by Marcus Berkmann, about the joys (and otherwise) of being a grassroots cricketer, after browsing Waterstones on Saturday. I played league cricket in and around Bedford for 20 years and much of what he writes rings bells. I could probably write something similar. 3 chapters in so far and really enjoying it.

Forgot! Finished Moonday Letters (good but two books in one, I think). Read The Seven Year Slip today on the way to Cambridge (Ashley Poston), which was a lovely confection. Not entirely sure what I'll start tonight.

I’m reading Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers. Unusual premise, set in the late 1950s, a woman writes to a local newspaper to claim her daughter was the result of a virgin birth. A female reporter is sent to investigate. It’s different that’s for sure and I’m enjoying it.

I like Elly Griffiths, don’t think I’ve read that one. I’ll look out for it.
I am enjoying it, it has only been on my Kindle for 2 years to get to the top of my list. I have read a number of her books and liked them all. I don't seem to mind not reading them in order.

I finished "The Kingmaker's Daughter" by Phillipa Gregory. I enjoyed it - she writes well - and it gives an alternative narrative regarding Richard III and the two princes in the tower.

I'm fairly well into Angela Marson's "Guilty Mothers". Enjoyable as most of her books are.

I'm in the middle of 'Iron Flame' and I've also read the first chapter of this month's book club choice: 'Every heart a doorway '

I finished "The Kingmaker's Daughter" by Phillipa Gregory. I enjoyed it - she writes well - and it gives an alternative narrative regarding Richard III and the two princes in the tower.

I'm fairly well into Angela Marson's "Guilty Mothers". Enjoyable as most of her books are.
I like Angela Marsons books too! It will be a while before Guilty Mothers gets to the top of my Kindle list, the ones I am reading at the moment I purchased 2 years ago.

Now started The Absolution by Yisa Sigurdardotor. An Icelandic Thriller.

I finished a John Grisham, The Exchange, after almost a week. I must say it’s the worst of his novels I’ve ever read! I usually love all his books and movies, but this was bland, no twist at the end, it just finished. I actually thought I d lost some pages! I went online to see others reviews, the majority said exactly the same as me. I think he’s going down the road of James Patterson and Lee Child, I’ve stopped reading their books. Churning them out peacemeal.

Now on to Northwind, JD Kirk. I absolutely love his books, Scottish Noir, police procedural set in the Highlands. They are brilliant, gory with a touch of humour. This one is a spin off. It’s started off well. I don’t think it’ll take a week!

I finished a John Grisham, The Exchange, after almost a week. I must say it’s the worst of his novels I’ve ever read! I usually love all his books and movies, but this was bland, no twist at the end, it just finished. I actually thought I d lost some pages! I went online to see others reviews, the majority said exactly the same as me. I think he’s going down the road of James Patterson and Lee Child, I’ve stopped reading their books. Churning them out peacemeal.

Now on to Northwind, JD Kirk. I absolutely love his books, Scottish Noir, police procedural set in the Highlands. They are brilliant, gory with a touch of humour. This one is a spin off. It’s started off well. I don’t think it’ll take a week!
I have never read any of his books, but I hate it when you get a bad book of an author you usally like.

I stated commuting in 2001 and a year later discovered Robert Goddard. After going through his back catalogue I awaited sch new book. The period between them seemed relatively random. However by 2012, a year before the company went under, he seemed to be churning them out on an annual basis and lost their appeal (was it pressure from the publishers). I got another one during my long hospital stay post amputation but just could not get into it. There are now approaching a dozen if his I have not read but I have no enthusiasm to do so!

Been a bit busy this past week but my reading has been:

Ashley Poston - The Seven Year Slip. I adored this. I have a soft spot for romances anyway, but as an academic one of my interests is time travel fiction (specially women authored and women focussed - this makes me very Google-able :confused:, shhh), so this was right up my alley.

Alexandra Warwick - The North Wind. One of those I got for 99p on iBooks and thought I’d give it a go. I enjoyed it but it suffers from being pushed through production and is under edited.

Jessie Burton - Medusa. Burton I generally like but this was underpowered and a bit childish. I wanted more.

Currently reading Miranda and Calaban by Jacqueline Carey (she of Kushiel fame). It’s okay so far, but I think it’s going to be rather predictable. Also just got a slew of novels in for a module I’m teaching this year (brand new - eep) so those will likely be filling my time…

I've been reading King's latest (You like it darker) which should have renamed you like it duller

I finished 'Every heart a doorway', this was this month choice in the book club, is a combo of fantasy and murder mystery. It is a short book and the end felt a bit rushed but it is an interesting concept (how children who have traveled to magical worlds struggle to adapt back to society) and has some emotional messages.

I will probably spend the rest of today reading 'Iron Flame'. I'm really enjoying it now but it was a bit of poor planning on my part leaving it after the other books because it's due back to the library very soon. I assumed I could extend the loan for another couple of weeks but turns out it's reserved by someone else.

I finished 'Every heart a doorway', this was this month choice in the book club, is a combo of fantasy and murder mystery. It is a short book and the end felt a bit rushed but it is an interesting concept (how children who have traveled to magical worlds struggle to adapt back to society) and has some emotional messages.

I will probably spend the rest of today reading 'Iron Flame'. I'm really enjoying it now but it was a bit of poor planning on my part leaving it after the other books because it's due back to the library very soon. I assumed I could extend the loan for another couple of weeks but turns out it's reserved by someone else.
That is the problem with library books.

Back