What are you reading?

Well, I'm pleased to say I managed to finish the book just on time to return it today, 30 minutes before the library closed, and rushed to work from there, making it in time as well. I was happy to keep reading as I was really trapped in the story at this point, tho I'd like to take my time and give my eyes and brain more breaks with the next one.

I was reading the Reformatory book, but my Kindle died, stopped holding a charge. New one arriving today, but started reading the paperback of “How the one armed sister sweeps her house” by Cherie Jones. Was apparently a friend’s book club book last year and he passed it on to us. So far it’s rather strange, but I am getting into it.

Last edited:
I am finding the Cause of Death memoirs I am reading very similar to other books I have read by former pathologists.

I’ve finished my JD Kirk book, really enjoyed it, going to look out for the next in the series. Now onto Death in the East by Abir Mukherjee. This is the third in the series, I’ve read the first two. Set in Calcutta in the years just after the Great War. Captain Sam Wyndham arrives from England to join the police there. He’s got demons, don’t all these detectives, one of them an opium addiction! There’s a lot of history especially about the fight for independence and of course the caste system. I like fiction with true history thrown in.

I' ve just finished a couple of books on my kindle - Beneath the Surface by Heidi Perks and Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney. Both easy reading (i read both in two days).

I am very pleased with the new Kindle that arrived yesterday! Ooh and it fits reasonably well in a cover we already had. I have gone back to reading the Reformatory on the Kindle - my goodness it portrays such brutality - though it is indeed believable - going back the attitudes in the south of the USA were pretty appalling towards black people. I think in places they still are.

Not sure I'll return to "One armed sister", not because it's an actual book and I had forgotten how inconvenient they are compared to kindles, but it was depressing and I can only do one depressing read at a time!

Now finished the the Cause of Death. Now started Not Dark yet, by Peter Robinson. This is a DCI Banks no 27 book, can't remember if this is the last, as the author died.

I've just finished Jodi Picoult's Mad Honey and was pleased to find the book was back to her usual style. They last few i've found i've not enjoyed as much as her earlier books.

Well, after most people finished this month's book club book very early (it was a short one) the organiser decided to pick a second book. I think she has more time to read than I do... Anyway, we have a list of suggestions from the club members and they use an app to pick one at random. This time it picked my suggestion, 'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke.

I have mixed feelings. I love this book, it was my favourite for a long time, but it is meant for a younger audience and now I worry the others are not going to like it. At least it was only 0'99£ in Kindle, so they don't need to spend much on it! I am enjoying the re-read and since I am familiar with the story, I don't feel the pressure to finish it this month.

Now finished the the Cause of Death. Now started Not Dark yet, by Peter Robinson. This is a DCI Banks no 27 book, can't remember if this is the last, as the author died.
Now finished Nor Dark Yet, it is no the last one I have one more to read. It did not disappoint.
Now reading Cross Her Heart by Melinda Leigh, it is an American Police Procedural.

I’m on to Survivors by Jane Harper. Set in Australia. I’ve read The Dry and The Lost Man, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I’ve never been to Australia, but the writing is so descriptive I feel like I have. Hoping this will be just as good.

Now finished Nor Dark Yet, it is no the last one I have one more to read. It did not disappoint.
Now reading Cross Her Heart by Melinda Leigh, it is an American Police Procedural.
Now finished this really liked it.
Now started Girl Zero (DI Harry Virdee by A.A.Dhand.) A police procedural set in Bradford.

Now finished this really liked it.
Now started Girl Zero (DI Harry Virdee by A.A.Dhand.) A police procedural set in Bradford.
I’ve read a couple of his, think the were the first two in the series. I always look out for more in the charity shops but haven’t managed to get any more. I enjoyed them, maybe I should try on iBooks on my iPad, you’ve put me in the notion now. I prefer a real book but not adverse to reading an electronic book when needed.

I’ve read a couple of his, think the were the first two in the series. I always look out for more in the charity shops but haven’t managed to get any more. I enjoyed them, maybe I should try on iBooks on my iPad, you’ve put me in the notion now. I prefer a real book but not adverse to reading an electronic book when needed.
I read on my Kindle. I can't remember when I last read a proper book.

Finished Girl Zero, which I enjoyed. Now started The next in the series City of Sinners. I started this while waiting for my bloods been taken this morning.

I finished The Reformatory a couple of days ago. It was very hard reading in parts, but certain aspects read very true. Just awful way to treat anyone, especially children. It got very tense and exciting at the end. Couldn't put it down then.

Now reading another of Angela Marsons "Dead Memories". I did try "Crouchback" by Sarah Woodbury, but I found her style of writing really amateur. Really long sentences that changed subject half way through - all mistakes we were told to avoid when I did a writing course once. I don't often give up on a book, but that one I did.

I don't often give up and books either. Though I have had some were I have struggled to read.
I have yet to read an Angela Marson book I have not liked.

Somebody gave me a book that his son had written, it was a murder mystery which is the sort of book I do like but I couldn't read it as the text had been both right and left justified so the spacing of the works was all over the place and it made me feel queasy to read it. It just feels very unnatural.60

Back