What are you reading?

Read All My Mothers by Joanna Glen. Now booked to go to Cordoba with some friends who also read it.
An author who inspired us to travel - to Sarlat and the Vezere valley was Martin Walker who writes the "Inspector Bruno" series. Must get hold of the Joanna Glen book as I love travelling around the cities of Spain.

I put Dorothy Dunnett into the Literature Map and it came up with Diana Gabaldon and Georgette Heyer... Chalk and cheese! Neither of them could hold a candle to Dorothy.

I recently joined a book club and yesterday I finished my first month book, 'The cruel Prince' by Holly Black. It started slow and I was not that impressed but it got a lot more interesting, by the end I couldn´t wait to get the second book. I already went to the library to borrow it and collect the second book of 'Fourth Wing' that I had reserved. Now I have a bit of a dylemma because I don´t know which one to read first!

And I nearly forgot that the month will be over and there will be a new book for book club. And I purchased a set of 5 Discworld novels last week...well, those don´t have a return date so they will have to wait! :D

And I nearly forgot that the month will be over and there will be a new book for book club. And I purchased a set of 5 Discworld novels last week...well, those don´t have a return date so they will have to wait! :D
I loved the discworld series. When I started with the book club I am in I used to religiously finish each one on the list. Now I just give in if I don’t like the book and it is a struggle to read it.

Discworld is an old favourite! May have to go back to it before too long.

Started Tananarive Due’s The Reformatory today. Time for some properly creepy reading!

I loved the discworld series. When I started with the book club I am in I used to religiously finish each one on the list. Now I just give in if I don’t like the book and it is a struggle to read it.
I think the book club can be good to introduce us to different styles or authors we wouldn´t normally pick, and we might enjoy them. But also, life is too short to spend too much time in books that you don´t like!

I think the book club can be good to introduce us to different styles or authors we wouldn´t normally pick, and we might enjoy them. But also, life is too short to spend too much time in books that you don´t like!
I agree. Once over I would persevere with a book as I felt I was giving in. That changed with Les Miserables. Oh my word! 200 pages in and I’d had enough. It was a case of using 342 words ( slight exaggeration) where two would have done! :rofl:

Thank you - have just put it on my kindle! I like something unusual and "off the wall" sometimes.
Just a warning - it’s precisely as rough as its description would suggest (horror in Jim Crow south). It’s terrifying, but not sure it’s the genre that’s actually scary…

I did book clubs once upon a time, but I too had issues with some books just not being my taste (or having read them before!). I did manage to work through some classics I’d missed despite three literature degrees, though, so that was something!

I started listening to the Steven King Collection of Audiobooks during lockdown but then when the world went back to normal I did not have enough time.
Now that I am doing more walking I should pick this up again though!

I've just finished The Figurine by Victoria Hislop. It was ok. More readable than her last two.

I’ve finished I Am Pilgrim. 10 days! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now for something a bit shorter! Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent. Her latest novel Strange Sally Diamond is one of my favourite books of this year so far. This is an older one I found second hand so hoping I enjoy it as much.

I'm currently reading "Cell"by Stephen King...I'm a huge Stephen King fan and this one my favourite books of his.

Last edited:
It didn't convince me to visit Mexico either but it's a great book nonetheless.

The Reformatory was very good. Starting Yael van der Wouden’s The Safekeep today.

Now reading Hostage by Clare Mackintosh, not sure on the style it is written in. Each chapter seems to be narrated by a different character. Not like previous ones of hers I have read.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay.

Because it is quite an old book it us written in quite a dry and formal style which does make it a little hard going. I think that it is useful in understanding some of the lunacy that goes on in modern times.

We used to have a theatre group at work with a group ticket for all the performances at the local theatre. I think it was the first Friday of each one and it meant you saw things you wouldn't have chosen but were really good. As I remember it was sometimes a signed performance which was fascinating.

Now another trip in the offing.
I have just finished Still Life by Sarah Winman.
I am so glad that I had time to read it slowly. The descriptions of both the people and places were a delight. Set in London and Florence. I shall look out for others by the same author.

Back