What are you reading?

I'm trying to reread all my Margaret Drabbles, but my attention span has diminished greatly. It's taking me ages to get through The Needles' Eye and that's a favourite. I have been reading Anne Tylers. Love her books. Can't get enough of them.

The ancient Egyptians, their life and customs, by J Gardner Wilkinson.
It was written in the early 1800s and I find it both fascinating and amusing.

I’m currently half way through one of the best books I’ve ever read. I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. On a FB bookclub I’m a member of, it kept coming up as a brilliant read. I had no clue what it was about but picked up a second hand copy and ploughed in. It’s not an easy read, but it sucks you in and leaves you wanting more. I’m so glad I went for it. It’s 900 pages long and not for the faint hearted. Anyone read it? What were your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4291.jpeg
    IMG_4291.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3
I have placed a reservation at the library. Says it's a Richard and Judy rec. Will give it a whirl. 🙂

I have placed a reservation at the library. Says it's a Richard and Judy rec. Will give it a whirl. 🙂
Let me know what you think Jan.

I've just finished nearly all of Henry Porter's spy novels. Started when we found a hard back of "The Dying Light" in the house that neither of us could recall buying or being given. Fascinating tale of covert surveillance of every person in the UK by a company who have corrupted the Prime Minister. I then progressed onto his other novels on my Kindle. I think there are one or two I still have the pleasure of reading.

As a complete change I read "Better left unsaid" by Tufael Ahmed which did not impress me much. It was about the difficulties of being an Asian in contemporary society. A lot of it was self indulgent moaning. I'm now reading Phillipa Gregory's "The Kingmaker's Daughter", makes a nice lightweight change.

I've got 3 Angela Marsons crime novels lined up on my Kindle.

My all time favourite author is Dorothy Dunnett who wrote the Lymond and the Niccolo series. This is a good introduction to Lymond https://www.theguardian.com/books/b...ymond-chronicles-far-more-than-sex-and-swords

I’m currently half way through one of the best books I’ve ever read. I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. On a FB bookclub I’m a member of, it kept coming up as a brilliant read. I had no clue what it was about but picked up a second hand copy and ploughed in. It’s not an easy read, but it sucks you in and leaves you wanting more. I’m so glad I went for it. It’s 900 pages long and not for the faint hearted. Anyone read it? What were your thoughts?
I really enjoyed it though its not the sort of book i usually read. My youngest read it and recommended it. It took me about 100 pages to get into it but then i was hooked. I'm glad i stuck with it.

Looks like we’ve lost the original thread so I’ve started a new one.

I’m assuming, like me, you fellow bookworms got lots of books from Santa. I had a list which I distributed to the family and got all but one, plus some I didn’t ask for. One of them was the new Strike book. The Running Grave. It is over 900 pages long and weighs a ton! I’ve read most of the other ones I received but wanted to be able to give Strike my full attention, remember the Ink Black Heart! 😱 Yesterday, my daughter finished work to go on maternity leave so I’ve no more regular child care for 10 months. I’m hoping it won’t take that long!

I’m going in….wish me luck! 😉

I can recommend "Lessons". Great book. Came across it while looking for other McEwan books. Reading is my main hobby/activity now.

I can recommend "Lessons". Great book. Came across it while looking for other McEwan books. Reading is my main hobby/activity now.
I got that for Christmas. Slow start but enjoyed it. Not my favourite Ian McEwan book, not that I’ve read them all.

I really enjoyed it though it’s not the sort of book i usually read. My youngest read it and recommended it. It took me about 100 pages to get into it but then i was hooked. I'm glad i stuck with it.
I agree the first part did drag a bit. It’s not my usual read either but I do like to ring the changes.

I've just finished nearly all of Henry Porter's spy novels. Started when we found a hard back of "The Dying Light" in the house that neither of us could recall buying or being given. Fascinating tale of covert surveillance of every person in the UK by a company who have corrupted the Prime Minister. I then progressed onto his other novels on my Kindle. I think there are one or two I still have the pleasure of reading.

As a complete change I read "Better left unsaid" by Tufael Ahmed which did not impress me much. It was about the difficulties of being an Asian in contemporary society. A lot of it was self indulgent moaning. I'm now reading Phillipa Gregory's "The Kingmaker's Daughter", makes a nice lightweight change.

My all time favourite author is Dorothy Dunnett who wrote the Lymond and the Niccolo series. This is a good introduction to Lymond https://www.theguardian.com/books/b...ymond-chronicles-far-more-than-sex-and-swords
I’ve never heard of her TBH. I like some historical novels but others leave me cold. I do like the odd Philippa Gregory. These sound interesting. I may have a look on WOB for a second hand copy of the first one. I’m open to many genres except Mills and Boon and sci-fi.

Also read Atonement and Amsterdam which I didn't like, but Lessons is on my shelf to read again when I've forgotten the plot. e.g. in 3 years or so.
Atonement is my favourite. I read it before they brought the film out and I think they did a pretty good job, unusually.
I believe Lessons was semi autobiographical.

I’ve never heard of her TBH. I like some historical novels but others leave me cold. I do like the odd Philippa Gregory. These sound interesting. I may have a look on WOB for a second hand copy of the first one. I’m open to many genres except Mills and Boon and sci-fi.
There's a FB group dedicated to her. Though that came in years after I first discovered her in an airport book shop. Game of Kings, which is the first of the series, is somewhat hard to get into, but do persist. The rest of the series is sheer grown up delight. It deals with the politics of the time right across Europe into Turkey and Russia. It's extremely witty and there is a beautiful love story in it, though it in no way dominates the series and you're not even aware of it until towards the end. She was a very well educated and erudite woman. I never read anything twice, but I have read both Lymond Chronicles and the Niccolo series 3 times each, discovering new aspects each time.

I love Angela Marsons books, I have just started Six Graves, I have liked all of her books to date.
I avoid books recommended by Richard and Judy, as I find I can't get any I have tried.

Just finished rereading Cold Comfort Farm (Stella Gibbons) Had forgotten how funny it is.

I am another Sian McEwan fan with Atonement at the top of my list

Recently tried to read Morning Star as it was our book group one for July but gave up, as did everyone else. No one owned up to having recommended it.

Now reading Still Life and very pleased to have time to read it slowly as I am loving the description as of people and places. Need a trip to Florence.

Read All My Mothers by Joanna Glen. Now booked to go to Cordoba with some friends who also read it.

I shall look out your author @PattiEvans who is new to me. Thanks

I got sent this link last week. Stick in the name of an author and it will show you other authors that were read by people who read your chosen author. Not sure how useful it is but the website is very well done.

That was interesting. I put in Terry Hayes, who I’m reading at the moment and it brought up quite a few authors I do like and read. One anomaly was JM Barrie! :rofl:

Oh book recs! Yay!

I’m currently working through Nordic Visions (Margrét Helgadóttir, ed.), which is a collection of speculative fiction from Nordic authors. Nearly finished - story collections I tend to read more slowly than novels. All collections are mixed, some stories better than others, but overall those in this one are good and really varied in type. Recommended for anyone interested in this sort of thing.

Back