What are you reading?

I was saddened this morning to hear that one of my favourite authors, Christopher Priest, has died. Might be reading one of his novels later!

Was going to answer 3.6 (Hmm I did), then realised you meant books! Tis the reason I stopped helping my son with with maths homework as I was embarrassing myself :-D

I am getting back into reading. On holiday I finished 'Fourth Wing' a fantasy+romance that's very popular at the moment. It's aimed at a slightly older public than the usual Young Adult Fantasy, so there is a few explicit sex scenes and a whole lot of swearing. A bit much in my opinion, maybe I am just not used to seeing that in books. It is a bit cliché in some areas but I still found it very enjoyable and was obsessed like a teenager for a week :D An interesting thing is the main character has a disability and she has added difficulties and has to make her adjustments to get through this dragon military training school. I have to admit, at some points I thought it was not very realistic she would succeed in this training with her physical limitations. Then I told myself... There are f***ING dragons in this book. Realism is not the main thing. And I guess would be a nice read for people with a similar condition.

Hmm, should I write a fantasy heroine with diabetes? :confused:

Now I'm reading an essay book that my brother gifted me. I don't normally read non-fiction but this one is interesting, it talks about the origins of books and the libraries of the ancient world. I was looking for the translation of the title to share with you. The original in Spanish is "The infinite in a reed", in reference to the papyrus reed, and I guess the infinite possibilities of books? I think is a beautiful title. Was a bit disappointed to see for the English market they just changed the title to "Papyrus" (by Irene Vallejo). Oh well, I didn't know the word "reed" so at least I learnt something new!

I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings (Currently halfway through the second book) and God Emperor of Dune.

Finished reading Roger Daltrey autobiography last night, read it over 5 days it was so good, don't usually get through books that quick.

I'm reading 'The Prophet and the Idiot' by Jonas Jonasson which is another eccentric, funny book from the author of 'The Accidental Further Adventures of the 100 Year Old Man' which was equally eccentric and full of characters involved in escapades that they get out of using their own form of illogical logic. Crazy people chasing around Europe with mad agendas really.

I just finished 'Folk' by Zoe Gilbert which is quite magical although maybe not to everyone's taste. Check out the sample on Amazon.

I am reading 'The Invisible Woman'. It's about C. Dickens and his relationship (or not) with Nelly Ternan. Hmm.

I read an article on "HR & People" in a business magazine in the waiting area today.. Very different to the reality I experienced in my last four jobs. The first two started with good Personnel that morphed to HR with the personnel managers being axed. All seemed to treat people like PCs to be used and disregarded. Last but one job they backed a request for me to go to a toilet cubicle for finger prick BG checks despite me doing them under the desk! Last job got made redundant 10;weeks after returning from bypass surgery. As I was then doing a 0.4 week I got 40% of what I expected as they could legally count the full time years as years of service. Meanwhile the owners enjoyed horses, Porsches and skiing holidays. I call HR Human Remains! :rofl:

Just as an alternative to the novels and autobiographies others have been reading, I have just started:-
"Making Natural Hoof Care Work for You" by Pete Ramey.

Hopefully it is going to help me improve my hoof trimming skills.
Somehow I doubt I will be able to tempt anyone else here to give it a whirl" 🙄

Just as an alternative to the novels and autobiographies others have been reading, I have just started:-

Yeah, it sounds like the intended public for that book is quite specific... There is a few other people with horses in the forum, tho, so you might be surprised! 🙂

Neigh, haven't read that one... thought I would be first with horse jokes...sorry!

Not a horsey person at all (I did a hack once with my girlfriend at the time which I quite enjoyed on a horse called Breeze which I thought was an ideal name for him as he seemed a very docile chap) but I did read Monty Roberts' autobiography which I very much enjoyed.

Just finished Berta Isla by Javier Marías which I really enjoyed.

Now starting Don Quichotte by Salman Rushdie

I’ve just finished a dystopian novel, although it wasn’t described as such, Metronome by Tom Watson. I heard about it on Sara Cox’s BBC2 programme Between The Covers a while ago. I found it second hand last week so grabbed it. It was a different read for me and whilst on the whole I enjoyed it, the premise was, a couple get sent to a remote island for a crime they committed and are ruled by a clock that dispenses pills every 12 hours that keeps them alive, I was left wanting at times. But it’s good to step away from my preferred genre of crime at times. Back to crime with Belinda Bauer’s The Beautiful Dead, this is an older one of her’s, I’ve read a couple of her newer ones, and liked her style. They are all standalones which I like.

Last edited:
I’m ploughing through John Carter by Edgar Rice Burroughs and re reading Carrie as my daughter bought me a special edition for my birthday

I’ve just finished a dystopian novel, although it wasn’t described as such, Metronome by Tom Watson. I heard about it on Sara Cox’s BBC2 programme Under The Covers a while ago. I found it second hand last week so grabbed it. It was a different read for me and whilst on the whole I enjoyed it, the premise was, a couple get sent to a remote island for a crime they committed and are ruled by a clock that dispenses pills every 12 hours that keeps them alive, I was left wanting at times. But it’s good to step away from my preferred genre of crime at times. Back to crime with Belinda Bauer’s The Beautiful Dead, this is an older one of her’s, I’ve read a couple of her newer ones, and liked her style. They are all standalones which I like.

Whilst I like detective novels I hate the increasing trend to create a series with continuous back references. I have no desire to constantly re-read about a detective's previous cases, dysfunctional family life (alcoholic brother, alcoholic mother, murdered relative, dead child, etc. that add zilch) and one even rambled on about searching for a house and mortgage. I can't ever recall Jack Regan or Morse pooping into the Shabbey National for a chat so will check out Belinda Bauer - any recommendations?

I've been reading and listening to information of Food for the Brain which covers many health issues including diabetes. I did there CF test and scored zero risk for Alzheimers so I must be doing something right in the diet, although my orange area did say I need to reduce carbs more. I admit I am very naughty at times with the carbs. :D

More info here if anyone wants to investigate:

I watched their webinar last night very informative.

@MikeyBikey Snap and Exit are the ones I’ve read and enjoyed. Both very different. Rubbernecker seems popular on my FB book clubs, I’m looking out for that in the charity shops.
I do read serial detective novels but I’m not precious about reading them in order. In my opinion all books should be able to be read as a stand-alone whether they are not.

Last edited:
Back