What are you reading?

Hi new to this thread, I love a good read. I will pretty much read anything, but especially like Thrillers, SciFi and humour.
Fave authors include John Grisham, Douglas Adams, Philip Pullman, Philip Reeve, Orwell, Dickins, Stephen Fry, etc
Just finished the latest Girl with the Dragon Tattoo book "The Girl in the Eagles Talons". Quite good.
Not quite as good as the three originals IMHO, but since Larssons death, they have been written by others, so bound to lose something. Still a good read though.
Now reading Bob Mortimers first novel, The Satsuma Affair, bloody hilarious!
I have his autobiography to read next "And Away!".
🙂

Im reading Miss Read Summer At Fairacre a book about life in a country school A very good read.

"Against The Odds" by Cole Steele. This book was promoted gently on the forum some months ago and is the story of someone with lifelong diabetes from the days of glass syringes and urine tests. As a fellow lifelong diabetic I wanted to like the books but just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's because I lived a variant of that life of the writing style (ghost writer). This was my second attempt at reading it.

Has anybody else read it!

Being Fat is not a Sin by Shelly Bovey A essential read for anyone whos overweight and has faced disclination because of it

Searching Amazon Books for Diabetes it came up with Danielle Steel's "A Perfect Life". DS is off my radar and I was wondering if some of the more ferocious readers like @eggyg had read it. Amazon provide a free sample but I am a undecided as it is quite short and appear to have a gap Is it worth reading or is it like American TV movies where a young diabetic has been kidnapped and will die in a few hours without insulin (they never had a hypo)?

Searching Amazon Books for Diabetes it came up with Danielle Steel's "A Perfect Life". DS is off my radar and I was wondering if some of the more ferocious readers like @eggyg had read it. Amazon provide a free sample but I am a undecided as it is quite short and appear to have a gap Is it worth reading or is it like American TV movies where a young diabetic has been kidnapped and will die in a few hours without insulin (they never had a hypo)?
Ooh Danielle Steel, that’s a right blast from the past. I’ve read her maybe 40 years ago, a bit Mills and Boony for me now. I think you hit the nail on the head comparing it to an American TV movie on Channel 5 at 2pm! I would swerve it!

Ooh Danielle Steel, that’s a right blast from the past. I’ve read her maybe 40 years ago, a bit Mills and Boony for me now. I think you hit the nail on the head comparing it to an American TV movie on Channel 5 at 2pm! I would swerve it!

Thank you. My suspicions were raised when I read something along the lines of "Her daughter, blinded by juvenile diabetes, lived in a year round boarding school"! Lots of 5* reviews but the author and readers probably know no better. The youngest case of severe complications I ever encountered was kidney failure at 19. It does get distorted as too many blame other health issues on your diabetes (including GPs and consultants). I was told my need for bypass surgery was because of diabetes and the fact that all the male side died prematurely from heart attacks ignored (I had even raised it with my GP who sais my BP and cholesterol were fine but wouild not test for Lp(a)) till I saw a cardiac surgeon who said my family history was appaling and should have been picked up on years earlier!

Being Fat is not a Sin by Shelly Bovey A essential read for anyone whos overweight and has faced disclination because of it
That reminds me how 'Fat Is a Feminist Issue' made so many people re-think their attitudes to weight.

Finished Beware the Past , it had an unexpected twist, and now starting Autopsy by Patricia Cornwall.

I’ve read two very different books this week but both were about WW2 in France. The first was a Peter May crime thriller. The second was The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. What a beautiful and powerfully written book which offset some of the horrors of the tales of Nazi occupied France. I had tears in my eyes on the last page. Oradour-sur-Glane was mentioned, the Nazis rounded up all the villagers into the church and just shot them. Woman and children included. We visited it five years ago, the village remains unchanged, pots and pans, sewing machines, rusted cars all still lying about. Very, very poignant and sad. What’s even more sad is we haven’t learnt anything in the last 80 years.
If you haven’t read it I would highly recommend it, if anything it will make you grateful that we live where we do.

For a bit of light relief I’m now reading Keep The Midnight Out by Alex Gray, set on the Isle of Mull and there’s been a murrrrrder!

I finished Lionel Shriver 'So Much For That' which is excellent. I love that feeling when you have a good book on the go and you can't wait to get back to it. Lovely, happy ending too despite the angst throughout. Now reading a pile of Margaret Forster's free from SaleFreeBookshop. I must take them back after though, not squirrel them away. 🙂

Midnight And Blue by Ian Rankin the latest John Rebus book. I cant put it down.

About to start Neal Stephenson's latest, "Polostan".

A Thousand Feasts by Nigel Slater is my book at bedtime. For the commute I'm reading Nights Out At Home by Jay Rayner.
Nigel Slater is my favourite food writer but I haven't yet got around to reading A Thousand Feasts...but I know it will be a brilliant book to read.

Just started The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa. I read a few of his books years ago and found this one in a charity shop so am giving it a go.

Back