What age were most of you diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does increasing the insulin dose not mean relying more and more? In a non diabetic world it is known as dependency or addiction. Have we already crossed that line after diagnosis? Hope I am making sense, be it very little. Apologies in advance.
Your understanding of the situation is confused I believe because your diagnosis is still uncertain although I am pretty sure you are Type 1 by the sound of things.

Type 2 is partly about insulin resistance, so yes the body does need increasing amounts of insulin (either home produced or injected) to overcome that, but it does usually decrease again or at least stabilize once dietary measures are undertaken, be they weight loss or low carb measures. To give you some perspective Type 2 diabetics using insulin who have significant insulin resistance might need 80 or more units of basal insulin at a time plus 30+ units of bolus insulin each meal, so well over 100 units a day.
Type 1 diabetics do not generally have insulin resistance. It is simply that their body is no longer able to produce enough insulin to survive. The medical profession start you off on low doses and gradually increase it to bring your levels down slowly and steadily but it is likely to be less than 20 units of basal and 4-5 units of bolus per meal. If they started you on what may be the correct dose straight away, you could well hypo a lot, so it is important to start low and gradually increase it until your insulin dose balances what you need to bring your levels down slowly, so yes there is a period of increasing doses over the first few months or even years, particularly during the honeymoon period when your own pancreas is still producing a bit of insulin.

There is a saying here on the forum that "You need as much insulin as you need" and we are all individual and it changes over time, sometimes you will need more and sometimes less and you will gradually learn to recognize when you need to adjust it both up and down, but at just 3 months in, it is still very early days for you and you are worrying about running when you are only just learning to walk.

You seem to be worried that your levels spike after meals, but this is totally normal. What may be causing you concern is that your levels spike higher than perhaps a Type 2 diabetic who is diet controlled is aiming for, but Type 1 diabetics can't really achieve that level of control because the insulins we use are not as fast acting as natural insulin. I was spiking up to 15 and above quite regularly in my first 6 months... most mornings in fact until I realised that I needed to inject my insulin a lot sooner before eating breakfast than the 20 mins that was suggested. Now 3.5 years down the line, I rarely go over 10 because I have learned how long my insulin needs to work before I eat and how much insulin I need for particular foods, but it does still happen. Today I over indulged and hit 15 but I brought it down again fairly quickly and considering what I ate, I accept that it was a treat and an occasional spike that high won't do me any real harm and I don't think I could have managed it much better. You have to find a balance between eating well and accepting that you can't have perfect BG levels.

What sort of levels are you spiking up to that are worrying you? If you eat more normally (ie what you would like to eat) and spike higher, then your nurse will help you to adjust your doses to cover that. If you starve yourself to keep your levels within an unrealistic target, then the nurse is unlikely to realize that there is a problem. The first thing I was told when I was started on insulin was to eat normally. It threw me because I had eaten very high carb pre diagnosis and then very low carb when they initially thought I was Type 2. I didn't want to go back to eating high carb foods so I kept my carb intake low and learned how to manage it, but it sounds like you really want to go back to your old way of eating, so just "do it" and when your levels go high, the nurse will help to adjust your insulin and the timing to manage it. Your body managed all this before your beta cells got killed off, so you are just doing what your pancreas was doing before. I am sure you didn't worry about how much insulin your pancreas was producing then, but you are just replacing that now, so the amount isn't important, as long as it roughly balances what you eat and if it doesn't then you learn to adjust it until it mostly does.

What is the point of living if you are miserable and you are starving yourself? Food is an important part of everyday life and enjoyment. You just need to learn to balance your insulin to what you want to eat, but it takes time and trial and error to do that, so start experimenting and learning. If you have a curry with 2 chupattis every day for a week, by the end of the week (or a fortnight) you will be learning how to reduce the spike and how much insulin you need for it, so start experimenting tomorrow and let us know how you get on and if you need help with particular problems, just shout up. Starving yourself teaches you nothing.

Hi

I am new here and this is my first post that isnt on the newbie board so apolgies if this is the wrong place for this. I am just curious how old people were when they were diagnosed and do you beleive you had it for quite a while before, years even. What prompted you to get tested. Sorry may sound nosey but genuinely think I would be none the wiser today had I not developed a rash that basically hasnt healed in over 2 years so a blood test was arranged and now I have several health issues that the day before I hadnt a clue about.

I realise now that the tingling sensation in my fingers in 2018 may also have been diabetes or pre diabetes, I got the first sore on my skin in March 2020, it was the start of lockdown and It was like an insect bite, but it just didnt heal and then more and more appeared. I worried it may be scabies or bed bugs and due to lockdown self treated with Permethrin. I couldnt get a GP appointment due to Covid, so I tried, Salt baths, Aloe Vera Gel, Clove Oil, Tea Tree Oil, MSM Silver etc etc...cost me a fortune but nothing worked, Eventually I was seen by the GP who said he didnt know what the rash was and I was referred to a Dermatologist.

The Dermatologist looked at my sores which some covered my upper back, shoulders, top of arm and buttocks, one on my thigh. He said it was Nodula Prurigo which ofter starts with an insect bite and then you get unbearable itching all over (which I had) and more sores appear. None have healed at all. Anyway the Dermatologist got me to do a blood test to find if there was any underlying cause like Vitamin D defficiency etc.

I had the blood test on 16th June, and a text from the Dermatologist the following day to say blood test is normal no further action.

Then yesterday -28th June - I woke up to realise I had had loads of missed calls and texts from 7.30 am onwards all from my GP surgery asking me to see them for an appointment that morning and a further blood test. It appears my blood results were far from normal and there was a clear indication of high sugar level and abnormal liver results.

So I have had another blood test to show the average for my sugar which I am waiting for. I have however received the other test results back relating to cholesterol and liver, both not good, I am to see a Lipid Clinic and have a liver scan. Im a little scared about this as every test I seem to have comes back with a bad result.

Sorry rambling here. I am 57 but reckon I have had these issues without realising for 3-4 years, so worried I may have done damage by not knowing. I havent been good with my diet and also smoked, I have given up since the consultation and not smoked at all and wont again, its like before the diagnosis I thought I was invincible. Now I know I am human and have let myself become very unwell.

I would be interested to hear about other peoples story and how they got their diagnosis and what made them get tested in the first place. I would be oblivious if it wasnt for the skin rash and a walking time bomb. It also made me think about 2 of my sons friends who are both very overweight (44 waist trousers) and 21 stone at 5ft 7 they havent got diabetes but then they havent been to the doctor, they are young, late twenties and I worry that they may have this condition too but havent got tested as not had a trigger, although one of them has sciatica which means they have seen a GP but not had bloods taken.
I am a type 1 diabetic & was diagnosed as needing insulin back in 1973.
Then I was a young, fit teenager although signs of diabetes commenced.
Diabetes type 1, I believe can take affect at any age.
Although in our later years, type 2 diabetes can come about due to age.
I would certainly speak to DUK advisers regarding your 'age in relating to the contraction of diabetes; of any kind'.

It sounds like my very own story. I understand that the ratio needs to be looked at and adjusted. There is no other way round it. Going to e-mail the dietitian and DSN for more explanation and clearer advice. Thanking you meanwhile.
No worries at all. It’s all trial and error and essentially will be forever. I’m currently the Jelly baby queen of the family haha. I’ve been pragmatic about it from the start, think you have to be. Very much a “do or die” situation. Very hard truth. It is only over the past 3 months or so that some things have become second nature for myself.
It will come, just have to give it time. So get mad at it, it’s ok to get angry etc at it if that’s how you feel. It amazing what our minds can do. Feel all the emotions but please please please remember that a high or low/ “terrible” blood glucose day doesn’t define you or your day. I know folk who have T1 since childhood and they still have moments and rotten days.
We are all learning to live with it, no matter how long a person has had the diagnosis. The carb:insulin ratios are all very personal to your own body.
Everyday is quite literally a school day with diabetes.
Treat the issue and carry on.

Your understanding of the situation is confused I believe because your diagnosis is still uncertain although I am pretty sure you are Type 1 by the sound of things.

Type 2 is partly about insulin resistance, so yes the body does need increasing amounts of insulin (either home produced or injected) to overcome that, but it does usually decrease again or at least stabilize once dietary measures are undertaken, be they weight loss or low carb measures. To give you some perspective Type 2 diabetics using insulin who have significant insulin resistance might need 80 or more units of basal insulin at a time plus 30+ units of bolus insulin each meal, so well over 100 units a day.
Type 1 diabetics do not generally have insulin resistance. It is simply that their body is no longer able to produce enough insulin to survive. The medical profession start you off on low doses and gradually increase it to bring your levels down slowly and steadily but it is likely to be less than 20 units of basal and 4-5 units of bolus per meal. If they started you on what may be the correct dose straight away, you could well hypo a lot, so it is important to start low and gradually increase it until your insulin dose balances what you need to bring your levels down slowly, so yes there is a period of increasing doses over the first few months or even years, particularly during the honeymoon period when your own pancreas is still producing a bit of insulin.

There is a saying here on the forum that "You need as much insulin as you need" and we are all individual and it changes over time, sometimes you will need more and sometimes less and you will gradually learn to recognize when you need to adjust it both up and down, but at just 3 months in, it is still very early days for you and you are worrying about running when you are only just learning to walk.

You seem to be worried that your levels spike after meals, but this is totally normal. What may be causing you concern is that your levels spike higher than perhaps a Type 2 diabetic who is diet controlled is aiming for, but Type 1 diabetics can't really achieve that level of control because the insulins we use are not as fast acting as natural insulin. I was spiking up to 15 and above quite regularly in my first 6 months... most mornings in fact until I realised that I needed to inject my insulin a lot sooner before eating breakfast than the 20 mins that was suggested. Now 3.5 years down the line, I rarely go over 10 because I have learned how long my insulin needs to work before I eat and how much insulin I need for particular foods, but it does still happen. Today I over indulged and hit 15 but I brought it down again fairly quickly and considering what I ate, I accept that it was a treat and an occasional spike that high won't do me any real harm and I don't think I could have managed it much better. You have to find a balance between eating well and accepting that you can't have perfect BG levels.

What sort of levels are you spiking up to that are worrying you? If you eat more normally (ie what you would like to eat) and spike higher, then your nurse will help you to adjust your doses to cover that. If you starve yourself to keep your levels within an unrealistic target, then the nurse is unlikely to realize that there is a problem. The first thing I was told when I was started on insulin was to eat normally. It threw me because I had eaten very high carb pre diagnosis and then very low carb when they initially thought I was Type 2. I didn't want to go back to eating high carb foods so I kept my carb intake low and learned how to manage it, but it sounds like you really want to go back to your old way of eating, so just "do it" and when your levels go high, the nurse will help to adjust your insulin and the timing to manage it. Your body managed all this before your beta cells got killed off, so you are just doing what your pancreas was doing before. I am sure you didn't worry about how much insulin your pancreas was producing then, but you are just replacing that now, so the amount isn't important, as long as it roughly balances what you eat and if it doesn't then you learn to adjust it until it mostly does.

What is the point of living if you are miserable and you are starving yourself? Food is an important part of everyday life and enjoyment. You just need to learn to balance your insulin to what you want to eat, but it takes time and trial and error to do that, so start experimenting and learning. If you have a curry with 2 chupattis every day for a week, by the end of the week (or a fortnight) you will be learning how to reduce the spike and how much insulin you need for it, so start experimenting tomorrow and let us know how you get on and if you need help with particular problems, just shout up. Starving yourself teaches you nothing.
You have given a very straightforward explanation of a complicated condition. I hope it will help.

I am recently told to up Levemir to 14 units am and pm. I am overly concerned. Do you think your bg levels are well managed at 17 units. I inject insulin 5 times a day and it still has mind of its own. I feel as if my life has more or less finished. Hate to keep looking at numbers, units, carbs and time. There has got to be a better way to live one's life. Alas!
Be thankful your levemir is that low. I'm currently playing with mine as once again my system has decided to play up. I am on 22 units twice a day at the moment, I was using 26, with currently 2 units per 10 g CHO. Diabetes seem to be one of those things that lulls you into a rhythm, and then suddenly decides to change.

I am new here and this is my first post that isnt on the newbie board so apolgies if this is the wrong place for this. I am just curious how old people were when they were diagnosed and do you beleive you had it for quite a while before, years even. What prompted you to get tested. Sorry may sound nosey but genuinely think I would be none the wiser today had I not developed a rash that basically hasnt healed in over 2 years so a blood test was arranged and now I have several health issues that the day before I hadnt a clue about.

I was in the final year of my degree, aged 21

A few months of increasing thirst, and needing to get up in the night to wee.

I’m another who put it down to stress to begin with, it was only when someone asked me if I’d lost weight that I twigged something was up. I’d lost a little over 20% of my body weight, and wasn’t carrying much spare to begin with!

I was in the final year of my degree, aged 21

A few months of increasing thirst, and needing to get up in the night to wee.

I’m another who put it down to stress to begin with, it was only when someone asked me if I’d lost weight that I twigged something was up. I’d lost a little over 20% of my body weight, and wasn’t carrying much spare to begin with!
only 21, thats so young and right at a time when you were working hard to study.

Type one has more symptoms I think, like weight loss. If anything I gained weight (type 2) the doctor said sometimes having diabetes can also result in weight gain, but then she told me alcohol raises blood sugar 🙂

I had no sypmptoms whatsoever. I wasnt thirrsty, wasnt going to the loo more frequently, no weight loss, no problems with my feet or eyesight. I had an itchy rash but thought it was other things, so many other things. I got what appeared to be an insect bite on my right buttock (all of the lumps and sores are on my right hand side oddly),,anyway I had a generalised itching all over my body and decided I had bed bugs (I spent lots of money on all sorts of things, and no improvement) as it was the start of lockdown in 2020, I spent ages googling the itchy lumps to work out what they were, and decided they may be scabies (which is actualy even more ridiculous as I was in lockdown, working from home, so where did they come from) I used Peremithrine, Clove Oil, had bleach batchs, joined a forum, even considered having horse paste (Ivermicin) Finally I saw my doctor who said it wasnt scabies or bed bugs and she referred me to a dermatologist.

The dermotogist diagnosed nodular Prurigo (I still dont think its that as it says is on arms and legs and I have looked at the photos and its nothing like what I have). I only have it on my right hand side, about 8 sores on my right shoulder and blade at the back, there is a burning almost internal pain, I also have about 5 on my right buttock, but none anywhere else. They have thick scabs on top, which I have developed a compulsion to pick off, I hate the hard lumpy scabs, the scabs themselves are white not red, and look so ugly. Anyway I had the blood test that the dermatologist arranged for me to have and it showed up that my glucose plasma was 19.3 and my cholesterol over 9, my liver enzyme tests were abnormal and I had a high inflammatory marker.

The skin condition still persists and I am hoping it its connected to fatty liver or diabetes it will resolve itself with lifestyle changes.

Around 40 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Did you have any symptoms, or was it a routine test for something else where it was discovered?

Read a poster in the GP about diabetes and noticed that I had some of the symptoms.So I told my GP he sent off blood test. My sugar levels were very high was told to go to hospital.

Read a poster in the GP about diabetes and noticed that I had some of the symptoms.So I told my GP he sent off blood test. My sugar levels were very high was told to go to hospital.
Thats scary, so I am guessing you went in for one reason and then ended up in hospital with diabetes. Do you remember how high your sugar levels were out of interest?

I was 52 when i was diagnosed as T2. I lost weight and ate low carb but then i had a severe ear infection which caused seizures and landed me in hospital for two weeks. My levels continued to rise over the next few months. The GP tried different meds but then i started losing weight without trying. Altogether i lost 5 stone. GP referred me to DSN who tested and said i was T1 not T2 and started me on insulin in 2018. I've now been referred back to GP care as my HbA1c came right down and i'm managing on MDI on my own without too many issues.

Think it was over 40 by blood meter in A&E.I still have mayor problems with controlling my sugar levels my last HBAc1 was 97.
I am not really sure about the numbers as very new to this I noticed that on my reading of 19.4 my dermatologist had written that he had contacted 111 due to the level in a patient with undiagnosed diabetes. That scared me a little for 2 reasons (I work for 111 but not a call taker, and hadnt heard anything from them) and also why 111 and not my GP. How did they get it down in the hospital, you must have had such a shock, bless you x

I was 52 when i was diagnosed as T2. I lost weight and ate low carb but then i had a severe ear infection which caused seizures and landed me in hospital for two weeks. My levels continued to rise over the next few months. The GP tried different meds but then i started losing weight without trying. Altogether i lost 5 stone. GP referred me to DSN who tested and said i was T1 not T2 and started me on insulin in 2018. I've now been referred back to GP care as my HbA1c came right down and i'm managing on MDI on my own without too many issues.
the types are confusing arent they? Was the ear infection related to having diabetes or was it just the way your body dealt with it?

the types are confusing arent they? Was the ear infection related to having diabetes or was it just the way your body dealt with it?
If you look at the information in the Learning Zone the different Types are explained. But there does seem to be a number of triggers some of which are not always considered.

I, full heartedly, appreciate your explanation. No one else could ve made it simpler, even if they tried.
Everyone might feel that I am over reacting; trust me I have every right to panic. I woke up to comparatively low levels. The Libre2 showed that I was in a hypo (under 3) for 4 hours in my sleep. Too much insulin?
My BG readings regularly spike at 12 o'clock am and pm. Coincidence?
I am too scared to eat normally cos of the aftermath. Eating what and how much I want for a week is going to literally finish me off. I know I need to in order to establish the insulin intake.

I, full heartedly, appreciate your explanation. No one else could ve made it simpler, even if they tried.
Everyone might feel that I am over reacting; trust me I have every right to panic. I woke up to comparatively low levels. The Libre2 showed that I was in a hypo (under 3) for 4 hours in my sleep. Too much insulin?
My BG readings regularly spike at 12 o'clock am and pm. Coincidence?
I am too scared to eat normally cos of the aftermath. Eating what and how much I want for a week is going to literally finish me off. I know I need to in order to establish the insulin intake.
Did Libre 2 alarm not go off and wake you up? Are you aware that sleeping on the arm with the sensor on it can cause what is called a "compression low" which is not a real low? If you didn't wake up then that would be my guess. Can you post a photo of your Libre graph and perhaps we will be able to assess if it was a compression low or a genuine hypo. How did you feel when you woke up and what was your bedtime and waking readings. Sorry for all the questions but important to figure it out because, it may be that your basal insulin dose was too high and needs reducing or just that you slept on your sensor.

Completely unrelated, i was told it was unusual for a adult to get one, let alone one that bad it caused seizures. DSN told me i was more likely to have been T1 initially and my pancreas was probably just pumping out the last of the insulin

Did Libre 2 alarm not go off and wake you up? Are you aware that sleeping on the arm with the sensor on it can cause what is called a "compression low" which is not a real low? If you didn't wake up then that would be my guess. Can you post a photo of your Libre graph and perhaps we will be able to assess if it was a compression low or a genuine hypo. How did you feel when you woke up and what was your bedtime and waking readings. Sorry for all the questions but important to figure it out because, it may be that your basal insulin dose was too high and needs reducing or just that you slept on your sensor.
I shall. Thanks Barbara. I met the same fortune this morning too. Between 6am to 9am the graph showed red. The alarm did not alert on both mornings. My bed time reading was 12.5 and 4.1 at 6:00am. The surprises never cease for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back