What age were most of you diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't heard that one before.

i got it the wrong way round it decrease the good HDL

The main reason why porridge is good for reducing LDL cholesterol is fibre.

The most useful dietary moves for improving LDL levels are: reduce saturated fats, increase polyunsaturated fats (and monounsaturated, but less powerful effect), increase fibre, reduce refined carbs.

There is no cholesterol value in reducing unrefined carbs (fruit, whole grains etc); only low carb zealots claim that there is, jncorrectly.

If you are concerned by post-prandial BG increases from porridge you might think about seeds instead - chia, flax etc. They have a different nutrition profile - more unsaturated fat, more protein, more minerals, more fibre, different vitamins, low carb.

FWIW, I replaced grains with seeds when I was getting my BG under control & it worked really well for that & for adding to the chol-improving effects of statins.

Now that my BG is sorted I once again eat more wholegrains but also continue with the seeds. It's good to have variety and unrefined carbs are very healthy, again despite low carb zealot claims. They don't make you fat, they generally improve chol levels.

Finally - listen to whatever yr doc has to say about statins, not to unqualified people posting woo on message boards. They are safe & generally much more effective than any dietary changes. Particularly if you do have FH, they & maybe other meds may really help a lot.
I replaced porridge with greek yogurt with oat bran and chia seeds.

yeah i know but porridge: mega carbs. Perhaps oat bran is ok sometimes to reduce the carb? I'll get my coat 🙂

So long as it's zero or very low fat you'll be ok, but eating high saturated fat yoghurt won't be doing your cholesterol any good.
Won't it taste like grit as well?

I found focusing solely on carbs, and ignoring everything else was completely unhealthy, I decided to find a way to address all my health issues, and Reversed my diabetes, rather than focus on diet control for life.

(And no, it's not mega carbs, despite some incorrectly claiming that.
It's well within a low carb diet.
You can have three and a half bowls a day and still be under 130g of carbs)

Last edited by a moderator:
So long as it's zero or very low fat you'll be ok, but eating high saturated fat yoghurt won't be doing your cholesterol any good.
Won't it taste like grit as well?

I found focusing solely on carbs, and ignoring everything else was completely unhealthy, I decided to find a way to address all my health issues, and Reversed my diabetes, rather than focus on diet control for life.

(And no, it's not mega carbs, despite some claiming that.
It's well within a low carb diet)
I know this response wasnt to me but to the other @Mrs Mimoo but I wanted to explain why I want to keep having my porridge, I am losing weight on what I am eating and its so much better and healthier than 10 days ago what I was having for breakfast, Having porridge instead of lots of thickly buttered toast and jam is much better for me 🙂 When I speak to the diabetes nurse I will raise this with her, but the doctor reassured me that type 2 diabetes, eating a healthy balanced diet, cutting down on sugar and fat and a lower calorie diet is the way forward. She advised no food is banned but its moderation, My sons fiance said I was being too drastic in one go, giving up smoking, adding exercise and going from 4000 + cals a day to 1200 or less was almost too much and she worried I wouldnt stick to it, so my porridge is my equivalent of a chocolate or glass of wine, its the thing that gives me something to keep going and wake up for in the morning. If I find my weight loss halts or my sugar levels rise etc I will rethink. I do understand what you are all saying on this though and appreciate everyone has a different way of achieving there goals. 🙂

I know this response wasnt to me but to the other @Mrs Mimoo but I wanted to explain why I want to keep having my porridge, I am losing weight on what I am eating and its so much better and healthier than 10 days ago what I was having for breakfast, Having porridge instead of lots of thickly buttered toast and jam is much better for me 🙂 When I speak to the diabetes nurse I will raise this with her, but the doctor reassured me that type 2 diabetes, eating a healthy balanced diet, cutting down on sugar and fat and a lower calorie diet is the way forward. She advised no food is banned but its moderation, My sons fiance said I was being too drastic in one go, giving up smoking, adding exercise and going from 4000 + cals a day to 1200 or less was almost too much and she worried I wouldnt stick to it, so my porridge is my equivalent of a chocolate or glass of wine, its the thing that gives me something to keep going and wake up for in the morning. If I find my weight loss halts or my sugar levels rise etc I will rethink. I do understand what you are all saying on this though and appreciate everyone has a different way of achieving there goals. 🙂

I agree with you entirely.
It's exactly what I did.
With the support of the NHS, I cut fat out, and did a low calorie diet, followed by a 800 calorie 8 week shake based diet to reverse my diabetes and lower my cholesterol.
I lost around 5 stones.
I still eat a very reduced fat Mediterranean diet, I don't count calories anymore, I just watch the scales and the mirror.
I also do a lot more exercise.
I got bombarded at times on how fat was good, fat reduced cholesterol, how I didn't need to exercise, how I shouldn't count calories, just reduce carbs and not worry about anything else but BG.

I decided diet control for life wasn't for me, so I ignored all that, and kept doing what actually suited my lifestyle.

You've made a great start, it sounds like you have found what suits you, stick with it.

(Oh, and I still eat porridge)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you entirely.
It's exactly what I did.
With the support of the NHS, I cut fat out, and did a low calorie diet, followed by a 800 calorie 8 week shake based diet to reverse my diabetes and lower my cholesterol.
I lost around 5 stones.
I still eat a very reduced fat Mediterranean diet, I don't count calories anymore, I just watch the scales and the mirror.
I also do a lot more exercise.
I got bombarded at times on how fat was good, fat reduced cholesterol, how I didn't need to exercise, how I shouldn't count calories, just reduce carbs and not worry about anything else but BG.

I decided diet control for life wasn't for me, so I ignored all that, and kept doing what actually suited my lifestyle.

You've made a great start, it sounds like you have found what suits you, stick with it.

(Oh, and I still eat porridge)
Thank you for the lovely response x

I have been reading up on porridge and in this article it says porridge may be better than statins for lowering cholesterol 🙂

I have been reading up on porridge and in this article it says porridge may be better than statins for lowering cholesterol 🙂

When you look at the picture of the bowl of porridge it looks huge, so is that the portion they are meaning if so it looks like it would be quite a lot of carbs. However the instructions for making the porridge used 100g oats for 4 portions. The Carbs and Cals info shows a bowl of made porridge 365g looking much like the one in the article as 30g carb if made with water but 54g if made with semi skimmed milk. But a small bowl about 3 desert spoons would be not too bad carb wise but then would that be enough to be effective.
It is a pity they do not say what quantity the bowl is to be effective.
It probably also depends on what what cholesterol level you are trying to reduce as to how well it works.

I think what works for you is what is important. If your blood glucose is reducing, your weight is coming down, and you are overall healthier that's what matters. I still have certain foods, but within my daily carb total, and I'm happier for it.

not disagreeing with you about porridge but I'd advise you not get your heath information of daily mail(or any other tabloids for that matter)

Last edited:
When you look at the picture of the bowl of porridge it looks huge, so is that the portion they are meaning if so it looks like it would be quite a lot of carbs. However the instructions for making the porridge used 100g oats for 4 portions. The Carbs and Cals info shows a bowl of made porridge 365g looking much like the one in the article as 30g carb if made with water but 54g if made with semi skimmed milk. But a small bowl about 3 desert spoons would be not too bad carb wise but then would that be enough to be effective.
It is a pity they do not say what quantity the bowl is to be effective.
It probably also depends on what what cholesterol level you are trying to reduce as to how well it works.
Your thoughts on full portion of weetabix?

Your thoughts on full portion of weetabix?
Too many carbs for me at 30g carbs (I assume 2 is a portion) but then I am Type 2 dietary managed so have 70g carbs per day so the only 'cereals' I have are a mixture of a low sugar granola and Keto Hana granola which works out at about 30g carb per 100g but still only have 15g on full fat Greek yoghurt and berries . I'm afraid I find something like weetabix unappetising.

When I was 27 and pregnant diabetes was picked up but blamed on the pregnancy. I had almost monthly issues and medical support but only after I collapsed, nearly 40 years later, with a blood sugar level of 168 was I diagnosed. A young Dr at the hospital asked if I would be his study patient, he was able to check my medical history right back to my teens. He concluded that I had probably been diabetic for most of my life.

When I was 27 and pregnant diabetes was picked up but blamed on the pregnancy. I had almost monthly issues and medical support but only after I collapsed, nearly 40 years later, with a blood sugar level of 168 was I diagnosed. A young Dr at the hospital asked if I would be his study patient, he was able to check my medical history right back to my teens. He concluded that I had probably been diabetic for most of my life.
OMG 168 I think that must be a record on here.
What a good Doctor to sort you out and you are still here to prove it.

Too many carbs for me at 30g carbs (I assume 2 is a portion) but then I am Type 2 dietary managed so have 70g carbs per day so the only 'cereals' I have are a mixture of a low sugar granola and Keto Hana granola which works out at about 30g carb per 100g but still only have 15g on full fat Greek yoghurt and berries . I'm afraid I find something like weetabix unappetising.
I am treated like Type1, insulin dependent from the moment go. Still awaiting results and confirmation. I could not dream of eating weetabix before diagnosis, but now I can live on it. Keto Hana granola is something I'd like to try.

I am treated like Type1, insulin dependent from the moment go. Still awaiting results and confirmation. I could not dream of eating weetabix before diagnosis, but now I can live on it. Keto Hana granola is something I'd like to try.
Are you adjusting doses yet
?

The Keto Hana granola is only 9g carb per 100g but is very expensive which is why I mix it 50/50 with Lizi's low sugar granola which is 45g carb per 100g, so when mixed together is about 27g per 100g.

Thats good. I dont have my first appointment until 11th August as she is away for 3 weeks and I am away for my sons wedding. I am making changes but have loads of questions, today I calculated my food, I am under with carbs, and under with fat but 55g sugar and I think you are only meant to have 25g a day with diabetes, I made a mistake I ate a pear for dessert and that is 10 grams just for one! looks like I may have to stop eating fruit as so much hidden sugar.
I’ve ordered a spiralizer so I can have pasta sauce. Instead of pasta.
Dr calling me tomorrow. Going on statins.
Started my diabetic meds yesterday.
I have never smoked. Do you vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back