What age were most of you diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Libre 2 alarm not go off and wake you up? Are you aware that sleeping on the arm with the sensor on it can cause what is called a "compression low" which is not a real low? If you didn't wake up then that would be my guess. Can you post a photo of your Libre graph and perhaps we will be able to assess if it was a compression low or a genuine hypo. How did you feel when you woke up and what was your bedtime and waking readings. Sorry for all the questions but important to figure it out because, it may be that your basal insulin dose was too high and needs reducing or just that you slept on your sensor.
Another mind boggling thing is my 12am and 12pm syndrome. The BG levels simply shoot up, no matter what I have eaten and at what time.

Another mind boggling thing is my 12am and 12pm syndrome. The BG levels simply shoot up, no matter what I have eaten and at what time.
Are you checking the Libre with finger pricks when you see these "syndromes"?
There have been many threads about the limitations of Libre and, if you do not understand these you are likely to get very confused.
- @rebrascora has mentioned compression lows which typically happen at night when you apply pressure to the sensor whilst sleeping.
- there is also the "bedding in period" which means that the sensors may report almost random readings until our body has become familiar with the alien object in our arm. Some of us apply the sensor a day or two before activating it to overcome this problem
- sensors are calibrated to be most accurate at "normal" numbers (between about 4 and 9). Outside this range, they may over report. For this reason, it is recommended to check Libre readings against a finger prick before making any correction
- some of us find the sensors over report when they get hot. I ignore what it says during my shower.
- CGM monitor interstitial fluid which is converted to blood sugars using an algorithm. Typically, interstitial fluid is about 15 minutes behind finger prick testing. The algorithm attempts to predict the 15 minutes by extrapolating the current trend. This works most of the time but not when the trend changes direction such as when correcting a hypo or exercising or when just eaten. This is why hypos appear to take longer to recover from and recovery should be checked with a finger prick.

I also recommend taking a note of what you are doing (or have done recently) when you see these syndromes and start looking for common patterns. It may be what you have eaten or exercise you have done (including gardening, house work, walking to the shops, ...) or stress that you have felt, or some medication you have taken for another condition or ...

I shall. Thanks Barbara. I met the same fortune this morning too. Between 6am to 9am the graph showed red. The alarm did not alert on both mornings. My bed time reading was 12.5 and 4.1 at 6:00am. The surprises never cease for me.
Do the alarms work at other times of the day and what levels do you have your high and low alarms set at?
Was it a slow steady decline down to 4.1 throughout the night or was it a sudden drop? A slow steady decline would suggest that your basal insulin is too high. A sudden drop would indicate that you lay on your sensor and got a compression low, especially if it pinged back up again when you got up. That said, your liver will pump out glucose in the morning to give you energy for the day ahead and that can push your levels up quite considerably in the morning , sometimes before you wake up or as a result of getting up out of bed. There are different strategies you can try to deal with that morning rise, but at the moment, just accept that it happens and you will gradually learn how to manage it.

How many carbs should I be looking for in a meal? and if I eat it but dont have the rice would that be OK?
Find your worst foods for sending you high, if you really love that food don't cut it completely, just have a tiny portion. Wheat is mine, I stick to half a slice of bread. Rice and potatoes too but not such a sharp up and straight down spike

This is another popular question. As with any disease, type 1 diabetes isn't actually 'diseased' in the body until it manifests as symptoms. It's therefore difficult to give a direct answer on the age most people are diagnosed. However, the age at which people are first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes is likely to be between 5 and 15 years old.

This is partly due to a lack of awareness amongst children about the disease. Some may also develop type 2 diabetes without being aware as symptoms of type 1 diabetes become more apparent over time. For example, a child may develop excessive thirst early on in their diagnosis and not realize it's because their blood glucose is too low.

As with any condition, it's important to have regular health checks as you get older to detect signs of diabetes earlier. This can help you take steps to manage your condition and prevent any complications from developing further down the line.'

This is another popular question. As with any disease, type 1 diabetes isn't actually 'diseased' in the body until it manifests as symptoms. It's therefore difficult to give a direct answer on the age most people are diagnosed. However, the age at which people are first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes is likely to be between 5 and 15 years old.

This is partly due to a lack of awareness amongst children about the disease. Some may also develop type 2 diabetes without being aware as symptoms of type 1 diabetes become more apparent over time. For example, a child may develop excessive thirst early on in their diagnosis and not realize it's because their blood glucose is too low.

As with any condition, it's important to have regular health checks as you get older to detect signs of diabetes earlier. This can help you take steps to manage your condition and prevent any complications from developing further down the line.'
Think you need to check your facts, multiple things wrong in this post. I note you're posting on several threads in a factual style of writing, however appear new to diabetes with some simple misunderstandings. If you'd like to learn about diabetes, ask questions on your introduction thread.

However, the age at which people are first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes is likely to be between 5 and 15 years old.
I believe the median age for type 1 diagnosis is 30.
Type 1 is not a childhood condition. More than half the people with Type 1'are diagnosed over the age of 20.
And given something like 30% of adults diagnosed with type 2 are misdiagnosed, it wouldn't surprise me if the typical age for Type 1 diagnosis is older.

Hi

I am new here and this is my first post that isnt on the newbie board so apolgies if this is the wrong place for this. I am just curious how old people were when they were diagnosed and do you beleive you had it for quite a while before, years even. What prompted you to get tested. Sorry may sound nosey but genuinely think I would be none the wiser today had I not developed a rash that basically hasnt healed in over 2 years so a blood test was arranged and now I have several health issues that the day before I hadnt a clue about.

I realise now that the tingling sensation in my fingers in 2018 may also have been diabetes or pre diabetes, I got the first sore on my skin in March 2020, it was the start of lockdown and It was like an insect bite, but it just didnt heal and then more and more appeared. I worried it may be scabies or bed bugs and due to lockdown self treated with Permethrin. I couldnt get a GP appointment due to Covid, so I tried, Salt baths, Aloe Vera Gel, Clove Oil, Tea Tree Oil, MSM Silver etc etc...cost me a fortune but nothing worked, Eventually I was seen by the GP who said he didnt know what the rash was and I was referred to a Dermatologist.

The Dermatologist looked at my sores which some covered my upper back, shoulders, top of arm and buttocks, one on my thigh. He said it was Nodula Prurigo which ofter starts with an insect bite and then you get unbearable itching all over (which I had) and more sores appear. None have healed at all. Anyway the Dermatologist got me to do a blood test to find if there was any underlying cause like Vitamin D defficiency etc.

I had the blood test on 16th June, and a text from the Dermatologist the following day to say blood test is normal no further action.

Then yesterday -28th June - I woke up to realise I had had loads of missed calls and texts from 7.30 am onwards all from my GP surgery asking me to see them for an appointment that morning and a further blood test. It appears my blood results were far from normal and there was a clear indication of high sugar level and abnormal liver results.

So I have had another blood test to show the average for my sugar which I am waiting for. I have however received the other test results back relating to cholesterol and liver, both not good, I am to see a Lipid Clinic and have a liver scan. Im a little scared about this as every test I seem to have comes back with a bad result.

Sorry rambling here. I am 57 but reckon I have had these issues without realising for 3-4 years, so worried I may have done damage by not knowing. I havent been good with my diet and also smoked, I have given up since the consultation and not smoked at all and wont again, its like before the diagnosis I thought I was invincible. Now I know I am human and have let myself become very unwell.

I would be interested to hear about other peoples story and how they got their diagnosis and what made them get tested in the first place. I would be oblivious if it wasnt for the skin rash and a walking time bomb. It also made me think about 2 of my sons friends who are both very overweight (44 waist trousers) and 21 stone at 5ft 7 they havent got diabetes but then they havent been to the doctor, they are young, late twenties and I worry that they may have this condition too but havent got tested as not had a trigger, although one of them has sciatica which means they have seen a GP but not had bloods taken.
I’m 56. Spoke to my diabetic nurse this morning. Very nice. Encouraging too.

I’m 56. Spoke to my diabetic nurse this morning. Very nice. Encouraging too.
Thats good. I dont have my first appointment until 11th August as she is away for 3 weeks and I am away for my sons wedding. I am making changes but have loads of questions, today I calculated my food, I am under with carbs, and under with fat but 55g sugar and I think you are only meant to have 25g a day with diabetes, I made a mistake I ate a pear for dessert and that is 10 grams just for one! looks like I may have to stop eating fruit as so much hidden sugar.

Thats good. I dont have my first appointment until 11th August as she is away for 3 weeks and I am away for my sons wedding. I am making changes but have loads of questions, today I calculated my food, I am under with carbs, and under with fat but 55g sugar and I think you are only meant to have 25g a day with diabetes, I made a mistake I ate a pear for dessert and that is 10 grams just for one! looks like I may have to stop eating fruit as so much hidden sugar.

Unfortunately things like pears are quite bad.
It is a sugary fruit and very soft, so very easily and quickly digestible.
So while 10g (two teaspoons of sugar) isn't a vast amount, it will give a rapid hit.

Unfortunately things like pears are quite bad.
It is a sugary fruit and very soft, so very easily and quickly digestible.
So while 10g (two teaspoons of sugar) isn't a vast amount, it will give a rapid hit.
Yes, I thought that too when I looked it up online for my diet/meal planner app (did that the wrong way around didnt I) This is what I ate today

CarbsfibreSugarSat Fatcal
BREAKFAST
Porridge made with semi skimmed milk
36​
3.7​
8.5​
3.4​
258​
Strawberrys - 6
7.7​
2​
4.9​
0.3​
32​
Benecol drink to lower cholesterol
2.9​
0​
2.7​
0.1​
32​
LUNCH
satay chickpea curry and endame beans
58.9​
11.8​
15.8​
4.1​
515​
DINNER
1/4 Pack of Rainbow salad (basically pretty leaves)
0​
2.6​
0​
20​
beetroot
6.3​
6.3​
0.1​
43​
turkey
5.5​
4.2​
0.4​
115​
SNACKS
pear
15​
3.1​
10​
0​
57​
cashew nuts
9​
1​
3​
157​
TOTALS
141.3​
21.6​
55​
11.4​
1229​
Maximum allowed
225​
25​
30​
1200​
83.7​
30 over!
18.6​
9 over

The one thing I dont want to change in my diet is the porridge, it was recommended to lower my cholesterol, I add only 6 berries to it and no sugar, I drink a litre of water with each meal too

The one thing I dont want to change in my diet is the porridge, it was recommended to lower my cholesterol, I add only 6 berries to it and no sugar, I drink a litre of water with each meal too

Yes, it is good for that.
You'll no doubt get told it's not low carb, and you'll lose weight faster and have better cholesterol levels by cutting carbs though.
But, if you do choose a diet that suits you, (which you should), you need to stick to it for at least eight weeks before your bloods will settle down to the new regime.
Until then they can be all over the show.

You could try ALDI or Arla high protein yoghurts or Kvarg deserts which are low carb, low fat but high protein with some berries for a change.

As I just said, it doesn't stop, but you do learn to skip over it.

The main reason why porridge is good for reducing LDL cholesterol is fibre.

The most useful dietary moves for improving LDL levels are: reduce saturated fats, increase polyunsaturated fats (and monounsaturated, but less powerful effect), increase fibre, reduce refined carbs.

There is no cholesterol value in reducing unrefined carbs (fruit, whole grains etc); only low carb zealots claim that there is, jncorrectly.

If you are concerned by post-prandial BG increases from porridge you might think about seeds instead - chia, flax etc. They have a different nutrition profile - more unsaturated fat, more protein, more minerals, more fibre, different vitamins, low carb.

FWIW, I replaced grains with seeds when I was getting my BG under control & it worked really well for that & for adding to the chol-improving effects of statins.

Now that my BG is sorted I once again eat more wholegrains but also continue with the seeds. It's good to have variety and unrefined carbs are very healthy, again despite low carb zealot claims. They don't make you fat, they generally improve chol levels.

Finally - listen to whatever yr doc has to say about statins, not to unqualified people posting woo on message boards. They are safe & generally much more effective than any dietary changes. Particularly if you do have FH, they & maybe other meds may really help a lot.

I was 52

The main reason why porridge is good for reducing LDL cholesterol is fibre.

The most useful dietary moves for improving LDL levels are: reduce saturated fats, increase polyunsaturated fats (and monounsaturated, but less powerful effect), increase fibre, reduce refined carbs.

There is no cholesterol value in reducing unrefined carbs (fruit, whole grains etc); only low carb zealots claim that there is, jncorrectly.

If you are concerned by post-prandial BG increases from porridge you might think about seeds instead - chia, flax etc. They have a different nutrition profile - more unsaturated fat, more protein, more minerals, more fibre, different vitamins, low carb.

FWIW, I replaced grains with seeds when I was getting my BG under control & it worked really well for that & for adding to the chol-improving effects of statins.

Now that my BG is sorted I once again eat more wholegrains but also continue with the seeds. It's good to have variety and unrefined carbs are very healthy, again despite low carb zealot claims. They don't make you fat, they generally improve chol levels.

Finally - listen to whatever yr doc has to say about statins, not to unqualified people posting woo on message boards. They are safe & generally much more effective than any dietary changes. Particularly if you do have FH, they & maybe other meds may really help a lot.
I take beta blockers which lower the LDL. worth noting. other meds do the same.

As I just said, it doesn't stop, but you do learn to skip over it.
How about, oat bran not porridge, with greek yoghurt? every other day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back