What age were most of you diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was diagnosed Oct 21 DKA after a routine smear test. Long time with recurrent thrush, ridiculous amounts of medications for it maybe 2 years+. Loosing weight/the thirst was unreal then constantly needing to sleep. I’d shower and fall asleep for hours after, more toward the diagnosis/Severity of the DKA. The pains in my limbs was unbearable most of the time too. (I put the weight loss down to stress) Thought the thrush had finally gone, went for the smear as normal only to find out it was coming back with vengeance.
Nurse checked my records and immediately check blood/urine. In the space of 10-15 minutes I was rushed to hospital from the surgery. Whirlwind of Drs and nurses, tubes/wires/iv's. Was told 3 times that night I was very lucky to be here. Medically I shouldn’t have been living at the point I was.
The nurse really did save my life just by listening after a LONG time of constant appointments and another pain relief/other meds being given.
I’m the only one in my family to be T1D all a bit mind boggling but can 100% say I am healthier now and happy to be back to a normal weight/feel comfortable in myself again. The whole diagnosis and getting back into enjoying foods has also had a small knock on affect with my child being more open to trying different foods too
All round petrifying and frustrating but also thankful for the T1D too.
Since Oct I have learned not to ‘beat myself up’ to much about numbers, just treat and keep going. I got into a terrible anxiety riddled wee while where I was just so focused on “staying in range” 100% of the time. It’s not sustainable, you end up destroying yourself mentally, it was exhausting.
Don’t get me wrong, there are days I shout at my libre alarms/diabetes to have a day off - if only eh. But even on those days I remind myself I’m so much more that what a number says, treat the high/low. Take a breath/cuppa/walk whatever to distract in a way and keep going.
We’re greater than our highs and lows …. Even when it’s hard.
I have Type One Diabetes but I’m NOT Type One Diabetes

Spikes (levels go up and back down in a short time) are not as dangerous as “plateaus” (go up and stay there). People without diabetes have spikes.
The important thing is for your levels to return to normal.
Often, for people with Type 1, spikes are an indication your body has digested the carbs in your meal before your insulin starts to work. The answer is to take your insulin higher. You don’t have to starve yourself or avoid carbs.
What is normal, one may ask. Pls explain the term my body has digested carbs consumed before the insulin kicked in. How does one know in advance how much insulin to take without knowing how the meal is going to impact the post meal readings?

I wait for the DSN to tell me. Not confident to take things in my own hands.

I do wonder if I take a step or two back and inject, eat and finger prick after 2 hours. That way I can see what I ate, how much and to what highs? That way I might be able to break the vicious never ending food circle.

I do take Novorapid 15 mins before eating.
Have you been told how many grams of carb to have for the insulin dose you are taking, and do you stick to that.
If your glucose level is then going high and staying there then you may need to have less carbs. Or speak to your DSN about increasing the insulin.
You are not going to resolve this without more help from your DSN.

I was diagnosed Oct 21 DKA after a routine smear test. Long time with recurrent thrush, ridiculous amounts of medications for it maybe 2 years+. Loosing weight/the thirst was unreal then constantly needing to sleep. I’d shower and fall asleep for hours after, more toward the diagnosis/Severity of the DKA. The pains in my limbs was unbearable most of the time too. (I put the weight loss down to stress) Thought the thrush had finally gone, went for the smear as normal only to find out it was coming back with vengeance.
Nurse checked my records and immediately check blood/urine. In the space of 10-15 minutes I was rushed to hospital from the surgery. Whirlwind of Drs and nurses, tubes/wires/iv's. Was told 3 times that night I was very lucky to be here. Medically I shouldn’t have been living at the point I was.
The nurse really did save my life just by listening after a LONG time of constant appointments and another pain relief/other meds being given.
I’m the only one in my family to be T1D all a bit mind boggling but can 100% say I am healthier now and happy to be back to a normal weight/feel comfortable in myself again. The whole diagnosis and getting back into enjoying foods has also had a small knock on affect with my child being more open to trying different foods too
Since Oct I have learned not to ‘beat myself up’ to much about numbers, just treat and keep going. I got into a terrible anxiety riddled wee while where I was just so focused on “staying in range” 100% of the time. It’s not sustainable, you end up destroying yourself mentally, it was exhausting.
Don’t get me wrong, there are days I shout at my libre alarms/diabetes to have a day off - if only eh. But even on those days I remind myself I’m so much more that what a number says, treat the high/low. Take a breath/cuppa/walk whatever to distract in a way and keep going.
Wow!

Have you been told how many grams of carb to have for the insulin dose you are taking, and do you stick to that.
If your glucose level is then going high and staying there then you may need to have less carbs. Or speak to your DSN about increasing the insulin.
Yes. I was told to observe 1:10 ratio as step 1. I am very hard on myself. Thank you for your advice.

by

Brilliant.
Exactly how I felt.

I was told 1 to 10 carbs, but as everyone is saying we are all different. I am 1 to 23 carbs in the morning, lunchtime 1 to 18 and dinner about 1to 15. I also have to split my doze mostly at dinner. Pasta seems to spike about three hours after eating! It’s only after almost a year after being diagnosed that I am becoming more confident about managing my diabetes. Still a nuisance and relentless

Yes. I was told to observe 1:10 ratio as step 1. I am very hard on myself. Thank you for your advice.
So to some extent you are adjusting your insulin in a way just not the ratio yet. So if that ratio is correct for YOU then if you have a meal with 50g carbs and inject 5u insulin or 70g carb you would inject 7u insulin and that should return your level back to the pre meal level by your next meal as I am not sure the 2 hour rule applies if you take insulin. If it is not doing that then you need advice on adjusting the ratio.

The carbs & cals app/book are good for carb counting : insulin.
I have learned sometimes no matter how much you count/inject it can send you either way just keep some hypo treats close by at all times. You can eat EVERYTHING but poison! Just have to think a bit more about it/medicate for the carbs. Writing things down I.e meals/carbs/insulin helps me a lot to try get to grips with it.
You need to learn your balance and you will. Aot of what works for 1 might not work for you, vice Versa. You have to learn and see what works for your body. I’m still learning too. If all else, you’re not alone in this. Even if it feels overwhelming at times. No matter how long anyone has been diagnosed, everyone will have days where it’s just feels like a lot and that’s ok.
This forum is amazing for a general rant/advice and everything inbetween. I found talking to others was a lot more informative than some sites. Even if it just for a wee confidence boost to eat (in a way) a “new food” The whole can’t eat this/that drove me to the brink of insanity. I’ll give my dietitian/DSN dies they told me from the start “no such things as I diabetic diet/food, THERE IS ONLY FOOD. But I understand the shock of suddenly having to think about it all, I still panic about things even though I’ve ate them before diagnosis. I still write foods etc down (mainly because it’s still very new to me too)
Take your time and breathe. You got this.

I was told 1 to 10 carbs, but as everyone is saying we are all different. I am 1 to 23 carbs in the morning, lunchtime 1 to 18 and dinner about 1to 15. I also have to split my doze mostly at dinner. Pasta seems to spike about three hours after eating! It’s only after almost a year after being diagnosed that I am becoming more confident about managing my diabetes. Still a nuisance and relentless
I am impatient for sure. Almost 3 months feel like eternity. It is the way of life from now on; I keep reminding myself and sometimes it feels like is this the way to life now? Rotten luck indeed.

The carbs & cals app/book are good for carb counting : insulin.
I have learned sometimes no matter how much you count/inject it can send you either way just keep some hypo treats close by at all times. You can eat EVERYTHING but poison! Just have to think a bit more about it/medicate for the carbs. Writing things down I.e meals/carbs/insulin helps me a lot to try get to grips with it.
You need to learn your balance and you will. Aot of what works for 1 might not work for you, vice Versa. You have to learn and see what works for your body. I’m still learning too. If all else, you’re not alone in this. Even if it feels overwhelming at times. No matter how long anyone has been diagnosed, everyone will have days where it’s just feels like a lot and that’s ok.
This forum is amazing for a general rant/advice and everything inbetween. I found talking to others was a lot more informative than some sites. Even if it just for a wee confidence boost to eat (in a way) a “new food” The whole can’t eat this/that drove me to the brink of insanity. I’ll give my dietitian/DSN dies they told me from the start “no such things as I diabetic diet/food, THERE IS ONLY FOOD. But I understand the shock of suddenly having to think about it all, I still panic about things even though I’ve ate them before diagnosis. I still write foods etc down (mainly because it’s still very new to me too)
Take your time and breathe. You got this.
It sounds like my very own story. I understand that the ratio needs to be looked at and adjusted. There is no other way round it. Going to e-mail the dietitian and DSN for more explanation and clearer advice. Thanking you meanwhile.

So to some extent you are adjusting your insulin in a way just not the ratio yet. So if that ratio is correct for YOU then if you have a meal with 50g carbs and inject 5u insulin or 70g carb you would inject 7u insulin and that should return your level back to the pre meal level by your next meal as I am not sure the 2 hour rule applies if you take insulin. If it is not doing that then you need advice on adjusting the ratio.
This is exactly what I ve doing, obviously it's not enough. I do not think I ve ever seen my levels returning to pre-meal numbers. Something is got to get done. Thank you for your clear advice. Means a lot.

Does increasing the insulin dose not mean relying more and more? In a non diabetic world it is known as dependency or addiction. Have we already crossed that line after diagnosis? Hope I am making sense, be it very little. Apologies in advance.

Does increasing the insulin dose not mean relying more and more? In a non diabetic world it is known as dependency or addiction. Have we already crossed that line after diagnosis? Hope I am making sense, be it very little. Apologies in advance.
Because everybody's metabolism is different how their body deals with the food they eat, people will need a different amount of insulin to keep blood glucose at acceptable levels. So It really is not the same as a addiction, you could say it is a dependency as yes your body is dependant on insulin to keep you alive whether that is what you produce yourself or whether it is injected.
There is no standard insulin regime which works for everyone, that is what makes it such a challenging condition.

A healthy body produces its own insulin. If you have Type 1 (or LADA), your injections are just replacing the insulin your body no longer produces.
Furthermore, injecting insulin protects the remaining insulin producing beta cells for longer rather than stressing them out and killing them off earlier.
Injected insulin should certainly not be avoided or limited. Insulin is not an addiction. It is something all bodies were built to need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back