What age were most of you diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that most adults with diabetes aim for 45-60 grams of carbs per meal and 15-20 grams per snack. Which would make that meal OK, I am getting so confused :(

So these are the values for the meal I was looking at

Typical valuesPER 100gPER PACK
Energy433kJ1647 kJ
103kcal392 kcal
Fat3.3g12.4 g
of which saturates0.4g1.3 g
Carbohydrate11.7g44.5 g
of which sugars2.8g10.5 g
Fibre2.5g9.6 g
Protein5.5g20.8 g
Salt0.38g1.44 g

I can forget it actually the fat is too high only allowed 3 grams per serving of fat :(

I can forget it actually the fat is too high only allowed 3 grams per serving of fat :(
As Type 2 If people are managing their blood glucose by following a low carbohydrate approach the suggested maximum Total carbs per day is 130g and that is for everything you eat and drink.
You might be wise to keep a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an estimate of where you are with the carbs you are having.
A meal with 45g carb would be more that some people could tolerate without a big increase in blood glucose but you would only know if YOU could tolerate it by using the blood glucose monitor to check, testing before you eat and after 2 hours, less than 2-3 mmol/l increase or below 8.5mmol/l and it would be OK.
As for are all carbs the same, it all depends, in theory some carbs those considered low GI convert to glucose more slowly than High GI carbs but it can depend on the fat content of what they are eaten with and an individuals metabolism.
A New Scientist article 'Glycaemic Index doesn't reliably predict blood sugar' this week about just that is interesting.

As Type 2 If people are managing their blood glucose by following a low carbohydrate approach the suggested maximum Total carbs per day is 130g and that is for everything you eat and drink.
You might be wise to keep a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an estimate of where you are with the carbs you are having.
A meal with 45g carb would be more that some people could tolerate without a big increase in blood glucose but you would only know if YOU could tolerate it by using the blood glucose monitor to check, testing before you eat and after 2 hours, less than 2-3 mmol/l increase or below 8.5mmol/l and it would be OK.
As for are all carbs the same, it all depends, in theory some carbs those considered low GI convert to glucose more slowly than High GI carbs but it can depend on the fat content of what they are eaten with and an individuals metabolism.
A New Scientist article 'Glycaemic Index doesn't reliably predict blood sugar' this week about just that is interesting.
Thanks @Leadinglights I will have a look for that article. Sorry to keep asking you things but you seem very knowledgeable, but I was wondering if you had any view of Milk Thistle. I was also reading about artichoke extract being good for liver detoxing too. I have had a milk thistle capsule yesterday (it arrived at 4pm so only 1 of the 2 a day it says on the packet). I have had one today and will have one before bed. I read that it reduces the problems with a fatty liver if taken for 3-4 months. Just wondering is anyone on here has had any success with it.

Thanks @Leadinglights I will have a look for that article. Sorry to keep asking you things but you seem very knowledgeable, but I was wondering if you had any view of Milk Thistle. I was also reading about artichoke extract being good for liver detoxing too. I have had a milk thistle capsule yesterday (it arrived at 4pm so only 1 of the 2 a day it says on the packet). I have had one today and will have one before bed. I read that it reduces the problems with a fatty liver if taken for 3-4 months. Just wondering is anyone on here has had any success with it.
I think most of those sort of things are snake oil advertised by people who want to part you from your money. Reading the potential side effect I wouldn't even go near it. better to concentrate your efforts on establishing a dietary approach that you enjoy and is sustainable and spend your money on a home blood glucose monitor and strips as it would be a better investment.
When you think of the millions of pounds spent on scientific testing of medicines to ensure they are safe, I can't believe the same would be the case for some of these 'herbal' cures.

I would fully agree. Once one has reached the stage of being or been diagnosed, the best thing will be to listen to the doctors and follow their advice. I can tell you many more such gimmicks but I won't cos I refuse to practice them myself. Be well.

I would suggest you ignore "low carb" is all you need posts.
Many have a target of 10% of less per meal. That meal fits those targets
Many say 130g of carbs a day is low carb.
That meal would easily be a good part of that, unless you eat four a day.
Nothing "reliably" predicts BG, but GI is definitely a good indication of an overall view. (I "reliably" used it).
I ignored the 2 to 3 increase, if I was at 3, I'd take a 5 happily.
Many refuse to take "big pharma" meds, (me, I took anything on offer), but herbal remedies have been around longer.
Whether they work or not, whether they cause harm or not, whether they are overpriced, who knows.
Personally, I found I needed to ignore some who insisted low carb was the only way, and only BG mattered.
Like me, you have a complex mix of conditions, find a solution that suits you, but above all, addresses all your conditions, and fits into your lifestyle.

I'm certainly no expert on them, my understanding is they are quite crude and from yesteryear. I think you wee sugar if your glucose is above 13 (don't quote me on this figure) so if you are constantly 12.5 you wouldn't know there's a problem
Despite all the new technology, finger pricking is still the best way of checking one's BG levels and most reliable. It does not meant that it does not hurt. Ouch!

Can someone in the know how please confirm the daily allowance of carbs for a diabetic individual?

Can someone in the know how please confirm the daily allowance of carbs for a diabetic individual?
It would be quite different for different individuals depending on what, if any medication they are taking, whether they are Type 1, Type 2 or any other Type.
There is no one size fits all.

There’s no easy answer to that, you have to find what works for you and then stick to it. Reducing carbs is a good idea but how far to reduce them is very individual. Try to avoid foods which cause big blood sugar rises and eat a variety of veg and so on. But you also have to be able to sustain the diet, if you try to go too low carb and hate it then you’ll just keep cheating and not sticking to it. People also have to take into consideration if they have any other medical conditions, what medications they are on and so on.

It would be quite different for different individuals depending on what, if any medication they are taking, whether they are Type 1, Type 2 or any other Type.
There is no one size fits all.
It also depends on the size of the individual, how much exercise they do, what other conditions they have, what their lifestyle is like, which day of the week it is, what the weather is, what colour of socks they are wearing, … Ok maybe not the last one but the point is no one size fits all and few for anyone all the time. We are all different with different bodies and different lifestyles.

(Sorry, that looks as if I was having a go at you. That is not my intention. I was building upon the comment you made.)

Last edited:
It also depends on the size of the individual, how much exercise they do, what other conditions they have, what their lifestyle is like, which day of the week it is, what the weather is, what colour of socks they are wearing, … Ok maybe not the last one but the point is no one size fits all and few for anyone all the time. We are all different with different bodies and different lifestyles.

(Sorry, that looks as if I was having a go at you. That is not my intention. I was building upon the comment you made.)
I find myself at loss as I am too scared to try something new, worrying just in case it makes me spike. Life is boring with choice of meals even more boring. Constantly losing weight.

I find myself at loss as I am too scared to try something new, worrying just in case it makes me spike. Life is boring with choice of meals even more boring. Constantly losing weight.
If you are losing weight and don't need or want to then it sounds as if something is out of balance with your food intake and your insulin.
I think you mentioned having the Libre so you can see what your levels are doing following food and insulin, have you shown this to your diabetic team so they can see what is going on and give you advise about your insulin regime.
If you post some of your data people may be able to suggest something which would help.

Even I dropped the family pack of strawberry donuts from Tesco.
(And the family sized quiche.
I still remember my dieticians words, "a family sized quiche is NOT a snack. ")
Beyond that, it's individual.

Spikes (levels go up and back down in a short time) are not as dangerous as “plateaus” (go up and stay there). People without diabetes have spikes.
The important thing is for your levels to return to normal.
Often, for people with Type 1, spikes are an indication your body has digested the carbs in your meal before your insulin starts to work. The answer is to take your insulin higher. You don’t have to starve yourself or avoid carbs.

If you are losing weight and don't need or want to then it sounds as if something is out of balance with your food intake and your insulin.
I think you mentioned having the Libre so you can see what your levels are doing following food and insulin, have you shown this to your diabetic team so they can see what is going on and give you advise about your insulin regime.
If you post some of your data people may be able to suggest something which would help.
Everyone wishes to lose weight no matter what. I ain't any different. But I am looking ill which I do not like. I know I am eating less, not by choice though. Not knowing a thing about diabetes did not help. The only thing I knew was to cut sugar intake. Had no idea about carbs control or count. Being vegetarian, my diet was nothing but carbs overload. Portion control was non exsistent.

Now I see my readings go up and the food gets the blame. You are quite right in saying that there is an imbalance. The DSN is slowly suggesting to up the insulin. Still trying times.

Libre 2 shows spikes 2 hours after meals and at midnight it is at its highest. Mystery to me. I am sharing my readings with the experts.

I do not know when the official diagnosis will come or when will I get to meet the consultant. I am somewhat badly coping cos all the like minded people on this panel.

Spikes (levels go up and back down in a short time) are not as dangerous as “plateaus” (go up and stay there). People without diabetes have spikes.
The important thing is for your levels to return to normal.
Often, for people with Type 1, spikes are an indication your body has digested the carbs in your meal before your insulin starts to work. The answer is to take your insulin higher. You don’t have to starve yourself or avoid carbs.
When Lantus got changed to Levemir, my readings remained comparatively high for a week or so. I was certainly concerned cos last time when my readings were this high; I was in the hospital. And what damage these spikes are causing and where? Finally the insulin got doubled with the expected hypos. I have accepted the fact that the readings are bound to go up and they are never going to firmly remain within any safe bracket. Another box ticked by and for me. So much to learn.

When Lantus got changed to Levemir, my readings remained comparatively high for a week or so. I was certainly concerned cos last time when my readings were this high; I was in the hospital. And what damage these spikes are causing and where? Finally the insulin got doubled with the expected hypos. I have accepted the fact that the readings are bound to go up and they are never going to firmly remain within any safe bracket. Another box ticked by and for me. So much to learn.
Maybe you need to take your bolus insulin earlier before you eat.
I think you need more advice from your diabetic team and press for carb counting course so you can adjust your insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back