The Pumpers Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Adrienne, that is so true! It must be really hard to hear the alarms in your situation on another person when they arent right next to you....I was extremely disapointed at the alarms on the veo, I couldnt believe it. Sometimes, most of the time actually, I dont hear them, never at work- it simply is too noisey. Out of interest I would be curious to hear what Tracey thinks of the Roche pump alarms when she gets going....

In a year or two they will have the My Sentry out and you can hear all the alarms magnified - especially useful if not in the same room as you but also for people who are alone or even just deep sleepers. You will need the sensors though !

The closed loop has the pump and sensor and transmitter. But some clever foreign chappies (I've heard one talk and he is amazing) have written an alogarhythm (spelling) which is a computer programme.

Sorry, I don't have anything to add to the pumping discussion at the moment 😱 But I took part in a study for the artificial pancreas project a few months ago, and it was run by a foreign guy who had designed an algorithm for it, and I wonder if it was the same man you heard speak?

The study I took part in was a manual closed loop system like Becca was talking about earlier, but it was during the day, and they were getting us to eat a large meal. He (I think his name was Dr Hovorka, but I might have that wrong) said that they were trying to figure out what happens in a normal daily routine, and how that affects the algorithm. The one that I took part in involved eating, and I know they have others planned to look at things like exercise and alcohol.

I have to say, the whole thing was really cool :D One day my glucose was too high, and another day it was too low, and the algorithm told them exactly what to do each time. You could watch the predicted line from the algorithm, and what your blood glucose actually did, and they were a perfect match. This was using actual blood tests rather than a sensor, but it gives me confidence that they're heading in the right direction!

Sorry, I don't have anything to add to the pumping discussion at the moment 😱 But I took part in a study for the artificial pancreas project a few months ago, and it was run by a foreign guy who had designed an algorithm for it, and I wonder if it was the same man you heard speak?

Hey

Yep def. Dr Roman Hovorka, this clever man: http://www.mrl.ims.cam.ac.uk/staff/PI/Hovroka/ 🙂

It was amazing wasn't it 🙂 Did you have a flat profile during the day?

Oh Adrienne, that is so true! It must be really hard to hear the alarms in your situation on another person when they arent right next to you....I was extremely disapointed at the alarms on the veo, I couldnt believe it. Sometimes, most of the time actually, I dont hear them, never at work- it simply is too noisey. Out of interest I would be curious to hear what Tracey thinks of the Roche pump alarms when she gets going....

well so far, when ive been "practising", they seem quite loud, all the beeps and vibrations are adequate. they seem to get louder too if you dont stop them.

Good morning everyone!

Thanks Tracy. So you mean that you start your one hour or two hour count from when you finished eating and not from when you bolused? I guess often there will only be a small difference anyway, it is just that sometimes he is a bit slow eating. 🙂

Thank you for the posts re the closed loop system. Interesting stuff! Gosh, it does give me hope for our lovely children! 🙂

I agree that the alarms are too quiet on the Veo. :(

Off for my pedicure this morning, Patricia! :D

Wow, morning all!

I'm thrilled by this discussion re the closed loop -- we're up to date with it etc, but it's just so GREAT to see folks who have actually been doing it -- Rose and Randomange! Yay, and well done. We're absolutely CERTAIN, like everyone, that this is the future of t1 diabetes therapy...And it gives us such hope. When I'm at my worst, worrying horribly about E going away to uni and having to deal with all this, I just think well in five years, who knows where we will be? Would certainly have thought smaller more accurate sensors, at the very least.

So anyway. Panics me just to think about it.

Yesterday was a hypo day for E -- we think we've figured out why. But by the end of the day he'd had four. Ugh. This does seem to happen with him unless we really catch it quick: once he's had more than one, he seems on a spiral...

In short: did everything right for PE except was 7.5 half an hour before at break and hadn't eaten anything. He prob should have eaten. Also, he knew he was going hypo at the end of PE and didn't stop cos almost over 😱.

(This hypo was made much worse by the fact that he'd badly skinned his knee in rugby, and then proceeded to whack his head on the fire extinguisher. AND all his friends had gone ahead. AND he was teased. AND of course he was a little muddled and low. My heart broke for him yesterday. He hated it. We are now working out ways to let his classmates -- even those not his friends -- understand what's going on.)

Like a good boy though he put himself on a temp basal for two hours and went to lunch. However all this was not enough to counteract, and he ended up hypo again in maths I think two hours later. (Apparently the teacher is on the VERY dull side, and he was behind anyway with all the testing, and so he's a little confused in top set maths now...This is the first time diabetes has properly interfered with learning, and I'm feeling cross about it! 😡)

By the time he got home he was nearly low again, had 5g of free carb. An hour and a half later, before dinner, he was actually hypo again. (This basal has now been changed, as I thought yesterday would be necessary: 3 out of 4 afternoons he's gone low if not hypo from 4pm onwards...).

For dinner we were scraping the barrel and had pizza with bells on: goats cheese, tomato and asparagus. The bases were cheese and tomato, store bought. None of us could remember what we do for him with pizza, so we dual waved it for 2 hours. Mistake. He hypo-ed again at 2.5 hours, treated, went to bed on 6.6, and woke up on 9.3! Clearly, like with pasta, he rises very late with pizza -- the bedtime reading was taken 4 and half hours after eating.

We *should* have tested in the night to see if/where he rose, but we are all fighting mild colds, and shattered, so didn't.

Sigh. I wish oh I WISH we could figure out a way to treat these late rises! The problem is, there's the bolus up front, seemingly a complete break with very little extra insulin needed, then a time when insulin is needed, like another three hours after that! Any ideas?! (Obv we can get up in the night and set up temp basal or dw, but good grief!)

Am chasing our team today for sensors. These I believe will help us identify the actual timing...?

We haven't yet had any alarms etc because we are not on sensors. I'm envious of those on Veos for the shut off facility, and Tracey for her 'louder and louder Roche' . We have two years I believe with the medtronic 722...

One thing that has happened which I completely forgot about until now: DO NOT LET THE BATTERY RUN DOWN! What I mean is, we have decided to change it when it gets to 3/4 empty. Reason: three weeks ago, E went to bed as usual, no alarms or beeps. When I went in to wake him eight hours later, we both heard strange noise...He said 'I think I've been hearing that all night, dreaming about it, it sounds familiar, I'll remember what it is in a minute' (!). Traced it to pump: NO DELIVERY. For the last two hours, we figured out!

So the battery had gone from no warning to completely empty in six hours. BEWARE! Our previous experience with battery change had been some vibrating alerts for a while before, then we changed. But clearly these alerts do not last long!

(btw: bgs not as bad as you'd think from that experience: put him on 150% temp basal for a couple of hours, and he was only a bit high for half of the day...)

Enjoy your pedicure, Mand!

Wow, morning all!

I'm thrilled by this discussion re the closed loop -- we're up to date with it etc, but it's just so GREAT to see folks who have actually been doing it -- Rose and Randomange! Yay, and well done. We're absolutely CERTAIN, like everyone, that this is the future of t1 diabetes therapy...And it gives us such hope. When I'm at my worst, worrying horribly about E going away to uni and having to deal with all this, I just think well in five years, who knows where we will be? Would certainly have thought smaller more accurate sensors, at the very least.

Yesterday was a hypo day for E -- we think we've figured out why. But by the end of the day he'd had four. Ugh. This does seem to happen with him unless we really catch it quick: once he's had more than one, he seems on a spiral...

In short: did everything right for PE except was 7.5 half an hour before at break and hadn't eaten anything. He prob should have eaten. Also, he knew he was going hypo at the end of PE and didn't stop cos almost over 😱.

(This hypo was made much worse by the fact that he'd badly skinned his knee in rugby, and then proceeded to whack his head on the fire extinguisher. AND all his friends had gone ahead. AND he was teased. AND of course he was a little muddled and low. My heart broke for him yesterday. He hated it. We are now working out ways to let his classmates -- even those not his friends -- understand what's going on.)

Like a good boy though he put himself on a temp basal for two hours and went to lunch. However all this was not enough to counteract, and he ended up hypo again in maths I think two hours later. (Apparently the teacher is on the VERY dull side, and he was behind anyway with all the testing, and so he's a little confused in top set maths now...This is the first time diabetes has properly interfered with learning, and I'm feeling cross about it! 😡)

By the time he got home he was nearly low again, had 5g of free carb. An hour and a half later, before dinner, he was actually hypo again. (This basal has now been changed, as I thought yesterday would be necessary: 3 out of 4 afternoons he's gone low if not hypo from 4pm onwards...).

For dinner we were scraping the barrel and had pizza with bells on: goats cheese, tomato and asparagus. The bases were cheese and tomato, store bought. None of us could remember what we do for him with pizza, so we dual waved it for 2 hours. Mistake. He hypo-ed again at 2.5 hours, treated, went to bed on 6.6, and woke up on 9.3! Clearly, like with pasta, he rises very late with pizza -- the bedtime reading was taken 4 and half hours after eating. Pizza is worse than pasta with most people. The spike can be anything up to 8 hours later so beware !

We *should* have tested in the night to see if/where he rose, but we are all fighting mild colds, and shattered, so didn't.

Sigh. I wish oh I WISH we could figure out a way to treat these late rises! The problem is, there's the bolus up front, seemingly a complete break with very little extra insulin needed, then a time when insulin is needed, like another three hours after that! Any ideas?! (Obv we can get up in the night and set up temp basal or dw, but good grief!) You could always try a low temp basal but for longer ie temp of say 135% for 5 hours and see what happens.

Am chasing our team today for sensors. These I believe will help us identify the actual timing...?

We haven't yet had any alarms etc because we are not on sensors. I'm envious of those on Veos for the shut off facility, and Tracey for her 'louder and louder Roche' . We have two years I believe with the medtronic 722...

One thing that has happened which I completely forgot about until now: DO NOT LET THE BATTERY RUN DOWN! What I mean is, we have decided to change it when it gets to 3/4 empty. Reason: three weeks ago, E went to bed as usual, no alarms or beeps. When I went in to wake him eight hours later, we both heard strange noise...He said 'I think I've been hearing that all night, dreaming about it, it sounds familiar, I'll remember what it is in a minute' (!). Traced it to pump: NO DELIVERY. For the last two hours, we figured out! This has got to be an error and I would phone Medtronic. You should have about 12 hours left when it flashes up low battery. We have gone out for a long day with a low battery warning and if it flashes at school first thing she is fine and we change it when she gets home.

So the battery had gone from no warning to completely empty in six hours. BEWARE! Our previous experience with battery change had been some vibrating alerts for a while before, then we changed. But clearly these alerts do not last long!

(btw: bgs not as bad as you'd think from that experience: put him on 150% temp basal for a couple of hours, and he was only a bit high for half of the day...)

Hiya

I've answered above in red any of your queries, just ideas really.

Jessica had three hypos on Wednesday at school and three yesterday. She does not feel any hypos and it is purely catching them with finger tests.

I think it is because she has changed sites and uses her tummy but that has taken a week to kick in though. I've changed one basal this morning to see what happens but they have fruit testing at school this morning so will not doubt wreck my investigations :(

Gosh Adrienne thank you so much! I was going to put a pizza query up on the other board, but this is enough to be getting on with...8 hours! No wonder he showed no sign of rising after 4 and a half...Okay, we'll try to track...

I've been wondering about the low-ish temp basal too...Again, we'll have to track this through, so we'll wait for the energy to come back! I like the idea of something over 125% but less than 150%; the former we've done once and it's very gentle for us, but the latter had a fairly strong effect (when the battery went!).

Speaking of the battery: erk. Should have thought of this. I'll ring Medtronic. We haven't yet run out of battery again. Of course it would be pretty poor if that's the best it can do...

So do you mean that the change of sites has changed the absorption? This is interesting because E deliberately went further around the side of his tummy on the set change Wed night...Hmmm...

Fruit, eh? That'll be interesting!

Thanks again...

Hiya

The tummy is renowned for being the fasting absorbed area to inject. A friend of mine when her daughter was on MDI used to use the leg for Lantus and various other places for the novorapid. When the girl ate pasta or pizza or any long acting food she injected in her arm as it is slower and any quick acting food ie mashed potato etc she used her tummy as it rapidly absorbed.

Generally you need a whole cut down of basal rates when the site is on the tummy compared to the butt 🙂

Hey

Yep def. Dr Roman Hovorka, this clever man: http://www.mrl.ims.cam.ac.uk/staff/PI/Hovroka/ 🙂

It was amazing wasn't it 🙂 Did you have a flat profile during the day?

I did! It really was amazing! The first day (there was two separate days) I ran a little bit low to start off with, which he figured was some lantus still kicking around and messing things up, so he readjusted some things to take that into account, and they kept me between 5 and 6 mmol/l for the rest of the day. :D

Low temp basals

Sorry Patricia, forgot to say. These low and high temps it all depends on what basal they are on in the first place. Jessica is on 0.10 for about 4 hours at one point so no low temp would work except a 50% which would be 0.05 u or a 0 % which would be 0.00 u. An increase would be ok but don't forget it is all only on 0.05 units (I think E is on the 722 isn't he - the VEO has 0.025 which is great). So an increase of only 110% may not alter. It might be worth asking your DSN about this, or the Medtronic reps.

So if for example you have a basal rate of 0.40, then a 150% temp would make it 0.60 and a 200% would make it 0.80 but what would a 110% do, would it keep it at 0.40 or would it take it up to 0.45 or 0.50. And lowered temps are even harder. A 50% would take it to 0.20 and a 25% would be 0.10 but what would a 20% be or a 65%. Does it round it up or down !

I did! It really was amazing! The first day (there was two separate days) I ran a little bit low to start off with, which he figured was some lantus still kicking around and messing things up, so he readjusted some things to take that into account, and they kept me between 5 and 6 mmol/l for the rest of the day. :D

That is amazing stuff and something to look foward to.

Wow! When Rose did the second overnight there was a guy in who's profile was flat as anything, they said that most of the adults were like this on the colsed loop 🙂 :D

Sorry Patricia, forgot to say. These low and high temps it all depends on what basal they are on in the first place. Jessica is on 0.10 for about 4 hours at one point so no low temp would work except a 50% which would be 0.05 u or a 0 % which would be 0.00 u. An increase would be ok but don't forget it is all only on 0.05 units (I think E is on the 722 isn't he - the VEO has 0.025 which is great). So an increase of only 110% may not alter. It might be worth asking your DSN about this, or the Medtronic reps.

So if for example you have a basal rate of 0.40, then a 150% temp would make it 0.60 and a 200% would make it 0.80 but what would a 110% do, would it keep it at 0.40 or would it take it up to 0.45 or 0.50. And lowered temps are even harder. A 50% would take it to 0.20 and a 25% would be 0.10 but what would a 20% be or a 65%. Does it round it up or down !

Thanks Adrienne, yes that makes sense -- hadn't thought about it quite that way. I forget that the .05 of a unit applies to all adjustments too...E's basals range from .35 to .8, with the average probably around .7. Okay, we'll have a think...

Wow. Please may it come soon.

Hello Girls 🙂>>> I was just wondering if Tracey knows when shes "going live " yet?? :confused:
I hope you all and the pumping children are doing well 🙂

Hi all

Patricia, the pedicure was heaven! My feet are now soft and my nails are pink with sparkly bits on! What a treat that was! 🙂

Well, my son a bit up and down since returning to school. Too many hypos so need to sort this out. But i feel very focused, so looking forward to smoothing things out.

Set changes going smoothly now. We changing every two days but hope to extend this if poss. The last couple of times we left it more than two days his blood sugars rose. But was that just coincidence? Anyway, when he seems more stable, we will experiment.

Hope everyone is ok and all the kids are settled at school.

Mand 🙂

Hi all,

A is having hypo's at 11am and 11pm - so have drastically reduced his basals.

Adrienne, saw your post about changing to tummy - i was going to try this at tomorrows set change - can you tell me what sort of drop you need for basals? Also presuming it will affect the ratios? Really annoying as we seem to have got some great numbers lately! Not sure whether to try it now - but it would be easier for him when is is doing rugby etc...

Had some lovely levels over the past few days - nothing over 8mmols.

Have got the waking level down to 4.3 - but it was 3.9 yesterday morning - whilst i am happy for him to be waking on this i am a little concerned that perhaps he has stopped dawn phen - or that we have tweaked it so that we are just getting good levels - but that maybe we need to decrease a tad?

What levels is everyone else waking on generally?

I have to say his levels seem very good and i keep pinching myself that it is so good! It seems really annoying that i was doing exactly the same on MDI as i am with the pump - but not achieving such good results!

Question about basals - is it safe to run a basal as low as 10%? I ask this as tried a 40% for 3 hours for cycling and he still needed 2 cereal bars and a small can of coke! But a bit wary of decreasing it so much that it becomes dangerous?😱

Hope your all ok and enjoying the lovely weather.

I threw caution to the wind this afternoon and went for a bike ride - because the fluttering has gone from my heart and the weather was so lovely - still waiting for an appointment at the clinic!

Patricia, i keep meaning to say 'well done' for joining the choir! I have been watching bbc2 about the chap encouraging singing in inner cities etc - wonderful stuff!🙂Bev

Wow, morning all!

For dinner we were scraping the barrel and had pizza with bells on: goats cheese, tomato and asparagus. The bases were cheese and tomato, store bought. None of us could remember what we do for him with pizza, so we dual waved it for 2 hours. Mistake. He hypo-ed again at 2.5 hours, treated, went to bed on 6.6, and woke up on 9.3! Clearly, like with pasta, he rises very late with pizza -- the bedtime reading was taken 4 and half hours after eating.

Sigh. I wish oh I WISH we could figure out a way to treat these late rises! The problem is, there's the bolus up front, seemingly a complete break with very little extra insulin needed, then a time when insulin is needed, like another three hours after that! Any ideas?! (Obv we can get up in the night and set up temp basal or dw, but good grief!)

One thing that has happened which I completely forgot about until now: DO NOT LET THE BATTERY RUN DOWN! What I mean is, we have decided to change it when it gets to 3/4 empty. Reason: three weeks ago, E went to bed as usual, no alarms or beeps. When I went in to wake him eight hours later, we both heard strange noise...He said 'I think I've been hearing that all night, dreaming about it, it sounds familiar, I'll remember what it is in a minute' (!). Traced it to pump: NO DELIVERY. For the last two hours, we figured out!

Hi Patricia,

I have just read about the hypo that E suffered - the poor little thing! I feel so sad for him - it must have been horrible - and then to be teased for it! I know he isnt mine - but my heart breaks for him too and i just want to give him a big hug. I am sure he has had some off you!
Do you know what level he was?😱

I think it prudent to let his classmates know what they could do for him when like this and muddled.🙂Bev

Hello Girls 🙂>>> I was just wondering if Tracey knows when shes "going live " yet??
I hope you all and the pumping children are doing well 🙂

Sorry just seen this Anne Marie - your so thoughtful - thankyou. A is doing great thanks - read his thread he has put on the general message board.:D
How are you? 🙂Bev x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back