Swine Flu Jab

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an appt with GP today, will def be having it . poss the week after next, he did say we will be informed

Hubby has emphysemia sp. so we'll both be behaving it! 😉

Hugs Mo xx

I thought about the swine flu jab and was keen on it.

The idea was a good one 'til I saw how far they stick the needles in on the news and then decided 'kin 'ell they ain't gonna shove a needle in that deep without it hurting so little old me is gonna be a coward and not have it.

Sorry peeps.

I thought about the swine flu jab and was keen on it.

The idea was a good one 'til I saw how far they stick the needles in on the news and then decided 'kin 'ell they ain't gonna shove a needle in that deep without it hurting so little old me is gonna be a coward and not have it.

Sorry peeps.

What !! How deep. I have a real problem with needles. I can shove them in Jessica all day if necessary but when I need needles oo er, I'm not good.

Is it the same as the normal flu jab?

What !! How deep. I have a real problem with needles. I can shove them in Jessica all day if necessary but when I need needles oo er, I'm not good.

Is it the same as the normal flu jab?

I reckon it was a good inch Adrienne.😱

I think the needles are all the same type.😱

well still i'll have it i will just suggest the nurse gets ready to catch me when i faint

Me and Needles are alergic to each other....:D
Altho i suffer with Asthma its not that bad.... i never accept the dreaded flu jab....yuk....phobia 😱

I wouldn't have thought it was any deeper than the normal flu jab? Mind you it does depend sometimes on who does it. Had no probs with my normal flu one this year but sometimes they seem to hit the muscle or something - ouch! I'm too scared not to have it, I mix with lots of young people who always seem to have some bug or virus!! So better safe than sorry.

some facts about vaccination injections

If you're squeamish, this information might not help, but hope it helps people make informed decisions rather than scare anyone.
All vaccines currently are given intramuscularly - into the muscle; generally upper arm in adults. Needle (thicker and longer than insulin needle for subcutaneous injection, but not huge) only has to go about 1cm deep, unless you have lots of fat! As your muscle has very few nerve endings, even if it goes much deeper, it won't hurt more - it's passing through the skin that hurts. If you think you might faint, then tell the nurse first and lie down for the injection - it's far preferable all round than a smacked head etc.

ty copepod that did help me i will ask tomorrow to lie down me thinks.

I wouldn't worry about what the injection looked like on TV - it's probably a standard clip they show and not necessarily of the swine flu jab. I work in a hospital, and it's always quite funny when the local news film stories there. They normally show a CT scanner and describe it as a "cancer treatment machine" or similar.

good luck with jab tomorrow nikki can you all let us know how you got on , as i dont think any of us have had it yet :confused:

I'm not sure if i should have the vaccine or not..i havent even desided if i should have the flu vac yet!! i've heard from a few people that after having the flu vac they have been ill and i dont want to end up ill, it always take my body 10 times longer to recover from anything then people i know who dont have diabetes and i dont know how id cope with being ill for 3-4 weeks!!! any advice? should i get both vaccinations done and take that risk??

I was like you a wee while ago, however I took the plunge and had the seasonal flu jab a few weeks ago, didn't knock me at all, I was thinking if it did I would just never have it again, it's a hard one to call, but the last few times I've had flu (and I don't mean "man flu") it has hit me pretty hard so if there was a chance I could not be so ill it was worth a go. Seeing as that went well I'm up for the oinkment jab too!

But you have a think and do what is best for you.

PS welcome aboard!:D

hi and welcome katie , can someone go with you ?, might ease your nerves abit id take copepods advice and maybe if you think you may faint or anything then before the jab ask if you can lie down

Hi <3KaTiE<3, welcome to the forum🙂 I had the flu jab last year for the first time and it didn't really affect me. From what I've heard, getting the actual flu can be really horrible for people with diabetes, particularly if you are on insulin as you have to work out how to compensate for the high blood sugars without any help from your pancreas 😱 So, I'd rather have the jab and risk feeling a little below par for a few days than teetering on the edge of DKA (having had that, I NEVER want it again!). My jab is on 14th November, haven't heard yet when the swine flu one is.

As Rossi says though, it has to be a personal decision.

I'm due to get my seasonal jab tomorrow. Rang up to check that it was still on....fabulous surgery 🙄, and asked about the H1N1, and she said 'well you'll have to wait for your letter then, won't you?!'. Charming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back