No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have only just spotted this thread and it has already 52 pages! I do not have time to read them all so would someone mind summing up for me please? I am so confused about what to feed my son. Do i go for low fat or low carb? If low carb, then what do you fill up on without too much fat, protien etc? It is just all so confusing! :confused:

What's for lunch Rossi?

Wow yes, nice people 😱 So far ive never been acused of being a junkie 🙄 I'm quite a quiet person, but anyone ever tries to say anything like that they will feel my wrath 😡

Lunch was left overs and what we took home from the wake!! Salad, scotch egg, tuna, all good until... cheesecake Sorry!!

God. Really. Some people make me mad. What possesses them to say things like that?! Do they really think it's ok? On what grounds could they possibly suggest you're not a diabetic?! :confused:

They think there being funny, a few pints in them an all, doesn't totally get me down yet, but I wreckon in a couple of years they'll be getting black eyes or just seeing a moody Ross about!!

Hi. I have only just spotted this thread and it has already 52 pages! I do not have time to read them all so would someone mind summing up for me please? I am so confused about what to feed my son. Do i go for low fat or low carb? If low carb, then what do you fill up on without too much fat, protien etc? It is just all so confusing! :confused:

Hi Mand,

Personally I wouldnt restrict anything, I would just try to make sure he has a healthy balanced diet, just like any other child. How is his HbA1c?

8.0. I've been sort of keeping track of my averages over the last few months. They've been between 7 and 9 so I reckon it'll be much the same this time. Although I've been having a good few hypos. According to my software about 20% of my readings are hypoglycemic. Those aren't good odds! Although the likelihood of testing when low probably helps... I'm hoping my doctor might see that as a possibly reason for me to get a pump, especially as hypos at work affect my work. Fingers crossed!

8.0. I've been sort of keeping track of my averages over the last few months. They've been between 7 and 9 so I reckon it'll be much the same this time. Although I've been having a good few hypos. According to my software about 20% of my readings are hypoglycemic. Those aren't good odds! Although the likelihood of testing when low probably helps... I'm hoping my doctor might see that as a possibly reason for me to get a pump, especially as hypos at work affect my work. Fingers crossed!

Yeah I test more when im high or too low, so dont worry too much about those averages 🙂 Oooh you want a pump?! I think he/she sees how hard you work at trying to get within range it will be enough to get a pump.

I'm going with 6.8, i'm optimistic 😛

Hi Mand , firstly how old is your son ? for a child I would just reduce Carbs slightly as children need a more varied diet than adults as they are still growing / hormonal etc . Low Fat is always a good option for anyone even if not Diabetic. If you do want Low Carb food ideas I will be happy to help.

They think there being funny, a few pints in them an all, doesn't totally get me down yet, but I wreckon in a couple of years they'll be getting black eyes or just seeing a moody Ross about!!

Yeah, and understandably too!

Hi Mand,

Personally I wouldnt restrict anything, I would just try to make sure he has a healthy balanced diet, just like any other child. How is his HbA1c?

I would agree with Katie. If what you're doing is working i'd stick with it!

oh my gawwwd, I just had a reading of 6.9! It's a miracle, the only readings ive had under 10 in the last few days have been hypos. I know it's only 6.9 because ive been reaaallly hot all day though 🙄

oh my gawwwd, I just had a reading of 6.9! It's a miracle, the only readings ive had under 10 in the last few days have been hypos. I know it's only 6.9 because ive been reaaallly hot all day though 🙄

Wooo Twin at least its below 10 !! its too hot here too :( I need a breeze .

Im having Prawn Salad for tea , what have you got planned anything nice?

Katie - His last hba1c was 8.5 (or there abouts). Too high but that is one of the reasons he gone onto a pump. So hoping for lower next time! 🙂

Insulinaddict - my son is 12. I might just take you up on that offer of helping me with low carb meal ideas! Thanks. 🙂

For now, am trying to give him a healthly balanced diet, just as i did before diagnosis two years ago. 🙂

Mand;4970 Insulinaddict - my son is 12. I might just take you up on that offer of helping me with low carb meal ideas! Thanks. :[/QUOTE said:
Hi Mand .. no problem I will help as much as I can ..I would just err on the side of caution as your son is only a child . I would maybe just slightly reduce his Carbs .. maybe less Bread or less snacking on Carby things. Reduce portion sizes of Carbs and add more protein or veg to meals . Maybe replace the odd meal with a Low Carb alternative , it is a healthy option for the whole family anyway. 🙂

Wooo Twin at least its below 10 !! its too hot here too :( I need a breeze .

Im having Prawn Salad for tea , what have you got planned anything nice?

Im going to an italian resturant for a friend's birthday 🙂 I'm going to have to fork out for chicken, all the low carb options are waaay more expensive than the pasta and pizza 🙄:D

Still havent had my prawns yet, enjoy your tea. Have your levels been behaving?

Im going to an italian resturant for a friend's birthday 🙂 I'm going to have to fork out for chicken, all the low carb options are waaay more expensive than the pasta and pizza

Still havent had my prawns yet, enjoy your tea. Have your levels been behaving?

Grrr Hypo City today 😡 one in tesco and another 2.8 now ffs , I think its the heat ..Hmm it usually send me higher though :confused:
Enjoy your meal .. Mmmm pizza , cant you just induldge as its a special occassion? 😉

Grrr Hypo City today 😡 one in tesco and another 2.8 now ffs , I think its the heat ..Hmm it usually send me higher though :confused:
Enjoy your meal .. Mmmm pizza , cant you just induldge as its a special occassion? 😉

hmm yeah must be the heat!

Hehe I was thinking about it but since I'm below 10 ive decided i'll be good and have chicken or something to try and keep it that way!

Hope your evening is better and you dont have anymore hypos, enjoy the carbs while you can though hehe. Later twin x

hmm yeah must be the heat!

Hehe I was thinking about it but since I'm below 10 ive decided i'll be good and have chicken or something to try and keep it that way!

Hope your evening is better and you dont have anymore hypos, enjoy the carbs while you can though hehe. Later twin x

Ive had a small pure orange so hopefully I wont zooooooom sky high now lol , and Im having my salad now so I dont drop again grrr bloody diabetes 🙄
Enjoy your chicken ... or pizza if you give in to temptation lol 😉

I agree with you, insulinaddict. To reduce the carb by adding more veg etc would be a sensible approach due to his age. 🙂

I have made a start and it is going well so far.

I used to give him cod in breadcrumbs with potatoes. Instead, yesterday, i have him tuna mashed with a little low fat mayo and mixed with a portion of new potatoes with a side salad. He liked this. 🙂

I do find that he asks for supper if i make his evening meal too low in carbs. So just cutting down, not out.

Any low carb, low sugar, low fat desert ideas? I currently give him low fat yoghurt poured over chopped up fresh fruit most nights with a less healthy desert at the weekends as a treat.

Since being diagnosed he has definately gained extra weight (over and above what he needed to regain due to pre-diagnosis). Is it the insulin? Is this how he would naturally be if had not been diagnosed? any other reason? I just do not know. :confused:

Thanks for your support, Insulin addict. Mand 🙂

I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING! grrrrr.

ehem. I was 8.2 at 3.30, I had a tuna light lunch (22.2g carbs, 4 units) some salad and cottage cheese (covered that with 4units!) and took an extra and I was still 12.8 at 6o'clock. It seems I spike no matter what I eat. The tuna light lunch has some white pasta in it and potato but surely can't be that bad urgh

I give up again.

I agree with you, insulinaddict. To reduce the carb by adding more veg etc would be a sensible approach due to his age.

I have made a start and it is going well so far.

I used to give him cod in breadcrumbs with potatoes. Instead, yesterday, i have him tuna mashed with a little low fat mayo and mixed with a portion of new potatoes with a side salad. He liked this. 🙂

I do find that he asks for supper if i make his evening meal too low in carbs. So just cutting down, not out.

Any low carb, low sugar, low fat desert ideas? I currently give him low fat yoghurt poured over chopped up fresh fruit most nights with a less healthy desert at the weekends as a treat.

Since being diagnosed he has definately gained extra weight (over and above what he needed to regain due to pre-diagnosis). Is it the insulin? Is this how he would naturally be if had not been diagnosed? any other reason? I just do not know. :confused:

Thanks for your support, Insulin addict. Mand 🙂

yes its definately insulin which has added the extra weight , it increases appetite , as we guess and inject the insulin is in our system "waiting "for food so makes us hungry. non diabetics eat and their pancreas makes the exact dose needed.😡 I dont tend to eat a dessert to be honest , sometimes fruit. although if he is eating less carbs (=sugar) then cant he eat a small portion of whatever everyone else is having? sugar free jellies are nice too , if he is cutting back elsewhere then a treat is ok i would think and also wouldnt cause problems weight wise . I'll find some dessert options for you though and let you know them. oh also as his body get used to less carbs his appetite will reduce and also insulin needs . xxx AM
I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING! grrrrr.

ehem. I was 8.2 at 3.30, I had a tuna light lunch (22.2g carbs, 4 units) some salad and cottage cheese (covered that with 4units!) and took an extra and I was still 12.8 at 6o'clock. It seems I spike no matter what I eat. The tuna light lunch has some white pasta in it and potato but surely can't be that bad urgh

I give up again.

HMM well you know me and carbs have a love hate relationship Twin, I love them they hate me , if I have the smallest amount (1 slice of bread !!) I zoom sky high , insulin doses are a total joke for me if I have carbs

Well levels for me today have been ...... a waking blood of 23.1 😱 I was 6.3 before I went to bed so it was definately a glucose dump 😡

apart from that good levels in the 5's and 7's all day even at my post meal peak 😱

For tea I had a Tuna Salad and some Garlic Mushrooms ( plain not in a coating ) I think it may be a Prawn Salad tomorrow ( oops today) as you have got me craving Prawns Twin . Im also really enjoying salads alot Im addicted lol

Well levels for me today have been ...... a waking blood of 23.1 😱 I was 6.3 before I went to bed so it was definately a glucose dump 😡

apart from that good levels in the 5's and 7's all day even at my post meal peak 😱

For tea I had a Tuna Salad and some Garlic Mushrooms ( plain not in a coating ) I think it may be a Prawn Salad tomorrow ( oops today) as you have got me craving Prawns Twin . Im also really enjoying salads alot Im addicted lol

eek, yeah must have been a night time hypo and glucose dump!

You are doing so well with your levels throughout the day, im jealous.

Do you buy or make your garlic mushrooms?

I had a mushroom omlette and salad tonight, mm 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back