No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi northe. I had the glucose tablets at 4am before I went to sleep when I was at a level of 6.6 because I started at a level of 9.9 and felt I was going down. Then I woke up at 7.20am to a level of 5.1, so im glad I took the tablets or I would have had even less sleep 😉

Sorry Katie, I misread what you'd written. It does seem unlikely that, since you had dropped by the time you got up, the tabs caused the later rise! I don't know, maybe your basal has an odd profile in you? I used to get a bit of a peak, causing me to fall low by 3-4 am, then a steadier rise during the morning, partly masked by my breakfast bolus. I have very little experience of what missing a meal does to my levels, as I've only missed two since diagnosis, but maybe that's an element - that once you're awake your liver is pushing out more glucose and your basal is insufficient to prevent a rise. Maybe splitting the basal would help?:confused:

Dear katie,

I cannot say exactly what is going on but one thing is for sure if you take a reading and then take a second reading later and it is higher, by definition, at the time of the second reading you must have more glucose in your bloodstream!

Warmest Regards Dodger 🙂

Thanks Dodger, It's a shame there's no way of knowing whether my liver is chucking some out :(

Hmm I don't see how they could I think you did right Katie, only you know how you works best! But good advise from them tho, even if they have confused simple old me!

me too rossi, me too...

Sorry Katie, I misread what you'd written. It does seem unlikely that, since you had dropped by the time you got up, the tabs caused the later rise! I don't know, maybe your basal has an odd profile in you? I used to get a bit of a peak, causing me to fall low by 3-4 am, then a steadier rise during the morning, partly masked by my breakfast bolus. I have very little experience of what missing a meal does to my levels, as I've only missed two since diagnosis, but maybe that's an element - that once you're awake your liver is pushing out more glucose and your basal is insufficient to prevent a rise. Maybe splitting the basal would help?:confused:

No worries, I thought you might have. I have been taking my basal at 1am, what would the difference be if I split it? Sorry I'm getting a bit confused lol. And I didn't miss a meal, if that's what you were saying. Again, i'm confused :D (it doesn't take much).

...No worries, I thought you might have. I have been taking my basal at 1am, what would the difference be if I split it? Sorry I'm getting a bit confused lol. And I didn't miss a meal, if that's what you were saying. Again, i'm confused :D (it doesn't take much).

I thought you said you didn't have breakfast?...Just reread again, and I see you 9.8 was before your breakfast!

Maybe it has something to do with your lack of sleep? Perhaps, if you kepy waking up, your general hormonal levels (including the glucagon that makes your liver put out glucose) was not conforming to it's natural cycle.

Actually, it's things like this that make you see the advantages of a pump and setting different basal rates - you might need a lower one through the night and then a higher one in the morning, but you can't really do that with MDI, even if you split the dose. Sigh!

I thought you said you didn't have breakfast?...Just reread again, and I see you 9.8 was before your breakfast!

Maybe it has something to do with your lack of sleep? Perhaps, if you kepy waking up, your general hormonal levels (including the glucagon that makes your liver put out glucose) was not conforming to it's natural cycle.

Actually, it's things like this that make you see the advantages of a pump and setting different basal rates - you might need a lower one through the night and then a higher one in the morning, but you can't really do that with MDI, even if you split the dose. Sigh!

Did I explain myself reeeaaally badly? :D I had weetabix, as I always do when i'm awake for breakfast 😉

Yes I do think that lack of sleep mucks things up a bit, I just really couldnt get to sleep :( Ideally I need someone to knock me out at about 10 or 11 each night (ok, maybe that wouldnt be ideal, but you know...).

Lunchtime soon, let's see how the breakfast novo did 😱

PS. I'm absolutely starving, but avoiding snacks in the bid to having amazing levels for the day! My tummy is 'a rumbling.

Well it was 7.8, not too bad and much better than yesterday.
I even took readings between breakfast and lunch to see how much I spiked, not sure what's got into me 😱 but I will have sore fingers tomorrow!

Ive just eaten my cat food (tuna light lunch) and rice cake and I don't feel very full. Think i'll be hungry in about 10 minutes time 🙄:D

So yeah... apparently starving myself works quite well.
2.5 hours after lunch I was 8.3, 4.5 hours after I was 6.1. Then I snacked on some rice cakes because I was doing cleaning (aka intense exercise :D) and I ate one too many because now i'm 10.9 - Not too bad though.

Hi Twin , yeah i was fine after my takeaway actually in fact by 10/11pm i was quite low and had to have some supper !! OMG all good today so far too. Hope you are good today ? I cant believe I slept so long either , I think once I was asleep my body just took what sleep it could get , I did wake with a bloody headache tho and I was late with my morning Levemir grrrr catch you later Twin , tc xx

Hey!

Thought I'd answer this in our lovely low-carbers thread lol. Wow can't believe your levels were so good after the takeaway, that must have been some good guess work!

Mine were good yesterday because I tried really hard, until the evening when I pigged out and went high. Today I started high because of last night so I woke to 13.4. I was earning some pennies doing some cleaning again today which seems to have magically kept my levels good :D I was 5.7 after cleaning and now im 4.8 and about to have some very later dinner. WOO 🙂

How have yours been today?

Hey!

Thought I'd answer this in our lovely low-carbers thread lol. Wow can't believe your levels were so good after the takeaway, that must have been some good guess work!

Mine were good yesterday because I tried really hard, until the evening when I pigged out and went high. Today I started high because of last night so I woke to 13.4. I was earning some pennies doing some cleaning again today which seems to have magically kept my levels good :D I was 5.7 after cleaning and now im 4.8 and about to have some very later dinner. WOO 🙂

How have yours been today?

Hi Twin , Ive had good levels again , Im in the 5's now , down from the 6's 😱 my takeaway lastnight was painless because i only ate some of the meat and the lettuce , i never eat the bread , and the garlic mushrooms were just mushrooms in garlic not in bread crumbs or anything . I only had a few units of humalog to cover it , but was low later and had to have some supper . so it was still very low carb wooo , chips would have been nice though but not worth the high levels :(

Hi Twin , Ive had good levels again , Im in the 5's now , down from the 6's 😱 my takeaway lastnight was painless because i only ate some of the meat and the lettuce , i never eat the bread , and the garlic mushrooms were just mushrooms in garlic not in bread crumbs or anything . I only had a few units of humalog to cover it , but was low later and had to have some supper . so it was still very low carb wooo , chips would have been nice though but not worth the high levels :(

oooh I see, it was low carb takeaway :D If I have takeaway it has to be full of carbs, i hardly ever have it hehe.

Wow your change in levels is amazing, have you literally just been eating more and getting more sleep to see such a difference? your next HbA1c will be sooo much better. My problem is eating too much I think haha.

Yeah I know Twin , the only thing I am doing different is eating more , I have increased my Basal by 2 units and I have slept abit more the last couple of days. Also I am not taking any Humalog now unless I eat. puzzling :confused:

I used to be told "eatings cheating" but that was to do with soaking the booze up.

Well done addict on eating & sleeping, proof that it does help.

Katie I hope you are getting some good shut eye these past few days.

Yeah I know Twin , the only thing I am doing different is eating more , I have increased my Basal by 2 units and I have slept abit more the last couple of days. Also I am not taking any Humalog now unless I eat. puzzling :confused:

Hmm I guess the not eating was doing something really bad that made your numbers crazy then! so glad they are better. Do you carb count (or carb guess?) or just know how much u usually need to take?

I used to be told "eatings cheating" but that was to do with soaking the booze up.

Well done addict on eating & sleeping, proof that it does help.

Katie I hope you are getting some good shut eye these past few days.

Yes thanks rossi, err well whenever i dont have to get up early for work I get plenty of sleep in the day lol

Hi Twin I know my ratio is 1 unit per 10g of Carbs , so I do go by that rule usually, sometimes I do just guess though , I am trying to avoid doing that now . 😱

Woohoo 🙂 Sound like you've had some good levels :D And yes - food and sleep, obviously the recipe! Well done!

Mine have been ok... Hen do over the weekend so didn't test too much, but still not gone any higher than 11 when I have so can't really complain! Did our Lion King performance yesterday and had 3 hypoes: 1 at the interval cos of running around madly and 2 after (one before bed and one at 6 o'clock this morning) probably becaus of relaxing after all the hard work! One and a half days to go till the holidays :D

How are they today peeps?

Hey Jeeta,

Are the levels still pretty good?

Mine have been on the high side, but not too high, like about 10. It's a bit annoying. If I want them to be within range I have to think about it all day every day and watch what I eat & exercise 🙄

Rossi, I think by nature cereal is mainly carbohydrate. The best thing to do is have cereal with a low GI - something like Weetabix or Shreaded wheat etc. I have weetabix when Im being good and if im not i'll have weetos 😉

Had weeta bix the other morning, miss judged the carbs and had a bit of a wobble! Can I ask how much you would inject for 2 of them? Or what you consider to be there carb content??

Wife out tonight so I'm having a low carb tea, aka fry up! black pudding, bacon, sausage and eggs!!

Hope you are all well.

Rossi.

Hi Rossi

I think (!) weetabix are around 10g carbs each, (so depending on your ratios!!!) a couple of units? Don't forget to account for the carbs of any milk or juice you put on though! (Do check the packet too!) Am pretty confident though - this was about the only food they had in the maternity ward whilst I was there that could be accurately carb counted!! W'b for breakfast, lunch and tea, yum! 🙄

Cheers Twitchy, I read the packet and saw the % of carbs per 100g, but didn't think that they were a bit lighter then my usual of museli!! When will I learn!!

Hi Rossi, they have 25.7g of carbs per 2 biscuits with semi-skimmed milk. So if your ratio is 1:10g that's about 2.5 units! ( or 2 or 3). Do you remember how much you took last time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back