No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doses are very different from person to person! There must be some underlying biological reason, as well as - of course - amount of exercise/ food etc.

Mike, out of interest, how much short acting do you take each day? And how many times do you test your blood on average? (Actually, that one's to you too, Katie!)

welll... Usually for breakfast I have 30g of carbs (weetabix) and I know from experience I need about 8 units for it. Lunch usually another 4-10 units (now that im low carbing, used to be more like 14, 16, 20 etc). Dinner about the same as lunch. And probably about 10 units in snacks if im being bad! more if im being very bad. Hmm, I might try writing it down for a few days because that's probably way out!

They are going to start making insulin pens with memory so that your consultants can check up on you and see how many injections you are doing & how much. That would be useful 🙂

Wow, that would be helpful! No more forgetting whether or not I did that injection... 😛

And how many times a day do you test?

Wow, that would be helpful! No more forgetting whether or not I did that injection... 😛

Haha yep! I think they have one out already but only for one type of insulin. I dont really know why because it sounds like a pretty simple thing to do!

And how many times a day do you test?

Oh yes, forgot that part. Probably 5 times on average. Always: Before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner, before bed. Sometime: If ive snacked without insulin I check to see if ive gone really high, before exercise, after exercise, if i feel hypo etc etc.

So far today ive tested 4 times. Im going to do some exercise later but probably wont test unless i feel funny and then it will just be before bed - so 5 times if everything goes to plan.

On other days it could be double that though. How about you?

Doses are very different from person to person! There must be some underlying biological reason, as well as - of course - amount of exercise/ food etc.

Mike, out of interest, how much short acting do you take each day? And how many times do you test your blood on average? (Actually, that one's to you too, Katie!)

hi munjeeta

it changes day to day, as i carb count. well my ratio is 1:10g so for every 10g i take 1 unit of novorapid.

Oh yes, forgot that part. Probably 5 times on average. Always: Before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner, before bed. Sometime: If ive snacked without insulin I check to see if ive gone really high, before exercise, after exercise, if i feel hypo etc etc.

So far today ive tested 4 times. Im going to do some exercise later but probably wont test unless i feel funny and then it will just be before bed - so 5 times if everything goes to plan.

On other days it could be double that though. How about you?

Lots of times! At the moment it seems to be every couple of hours every day. But I think I maybe need to stop obsessing quite so much 😱

Lots of times! At the moment it seems to be every couple of hours every day. But I think I maybe need to stop obsessing quite so much 😱

eeek! I cant be bothered with that. I have always been told that the morning test is the most important, because if you are high you can correct at breakfast and it's a good idea to start the day well. The advised times to test are before each meal and then before bed, so these are the minimum I do.

eeek! I cant be bothered with that. I have always been told that the morning test is the most important, because if you are high you can correct at breakfast and it's a good idea to start the day well. The advised times to test are before each meal and then before bed, so these are the minimum I do.

Yes, I agree, i know I test too much, but at the moment I'm worrying about it a lot! I always test in the morning too. A doctor on the adult support weekend said it's best to test at different times each day over the period of each week to build up an overall picture. I can see why this'd be useful, but I always find there are certain times of the day where it's more useful to me to know what my blood sugars are doing!

Anyways... 8.6 this morning. A significant improvement on the last few days and no drastic rises over night! Let the competition commence (again!) 😛

Hello all , hows it going with the low carbing ? I had a day of good levels yesterday I was in normal levels all day Woooo , .................until later on in the early hours when for some reason I had a random reading in the 20's 😱 I had to correct and consequently woke up to a 2.3 this morning !! 😱😱😱 Bloody Diabetes .

Yes, I agree, i know I test too much, but at the moment I'm worrying about it a lot! I always test in the morning too. A doctor on the adult support weekend said it's best to test at different times each day over the period of each week to build up an overall picture. I can see why this'd be useful, but I always find there are certain times of the day where it's more useful to me to know what my blood sugars are doing!

Anyways... 8.6 this morning. A significant improvement on the last few days and no drastic rises over night! Let the competition commence (again!)

Different times of the day? Like after food to see if you go above 10 (or is it nine now)? I never do that, not sure if I should be checking...

Looks like you might steal it today Jeeta, I woke up to 16.6 after a long lie-in. I have no idea why 😱

Hello all , hows it going with the low carbing ? I had a day of good levels yesterday I was in normal levels all day Woooo , .................until later on in the early hours when for some reason I had a random reading in the 20's 😱 I had to correct and consequently woke up to a 2.3 this morning !! Bloody Diabetes .

Woo well done twin. Had you eaten any carbs when you got that high AM or was it just random?

Low carbing is going well, salad has become my friend, as have omelettes.

Hello all , hows it going with the low carbing ? I had a day of good levels yesterday I was in normal levels all day Woooo , .................until later on in the early hours when for some reason I had a random reading in the 20's 😱 I had to correct and consequently woke up to a 2.3 this morning !! Bloody Diabetes .

Wow - amazing! A day of great levels isn't to be sniffed at, even if something(what's the opposite to a glycoraptor or sugar sloth?!) gets to them in the deep dark of night... It's just so unpredictable!

Different times of the day? Like after food to see if you go above 10 (or is it nine now)? I never do that, not sure if I should be checking...

Looks like you might steal it today Jeeta, I woke up to 16.6 after a long lie-in. I have no idea why 😱

Woo well done twin. Had you eaten any carbs when you got that high AM or was it just random?

Low carbing is going well, salad has become my friend, as have omelettes.

Yes, like you have the different columns in a monitoring diary (if you have the same sort as me: before bfast; after bfast; before lunch etc etc) The doctor said, that over a period of a week you should try and get a reading in each different box at least a couple of times to see trends in daily levels. I find this hard, as, as I said there are certain times of the day I try to avouid testing (just before bed!!) and times I like to know what's going on (waking up, before lunch) But it's not the only time I've been told this. However, I do feel that if you don't do/ eat the same things everyday it's quite hard to make changes ie say "you're eating too much for dinner" or "you're not taking enough insuling to cover lunch" when this changes daily... But i guess, where ratios are concerned, if you're recording CHO intake and insulin doses you will build up a picture. Phew... Essay!

Not sure I do win... I've ranged between 5.2 (before lunch) and 12.3 (after school) Not great.

How have your levels been for the rest of today? Did yours stabilise out, Anne-Marie?

Ok I might try some testing at other times. I haven't been keeping a diary recently, I usually foget after a few days. Although I kind of have because ive been posting my levels on here!

I'm going to do one for a few days so that I can let you know how much novo rapid I usually take in a day - it will be interesting to know. So far today ive had 32 units! after my bad start today :(

Not sure I do win... I've ranged between 5.2 (before lunch) and 12.3 (after school) Not great.

How have your levels been for the rest of today? Did yours stabilise out, Anne-Marie?

Nope you still win! 16.6 before breakfast/lunch, 10.9 before dinner!

Ok I might try some testing at other times. I haven't been keeping a diary recently, I usually foget after a few days. Although I kind of have because ive been posting my levels on here!

I'm going to do one for a few days so that I can let you know how much novo rapid I usually take in a day - it will be interesting to know. So far today ive had 32 units! after my bad start today :(

At least it came down though. FOr all you know, you might've gone down to 5ish but just not known because you didn't test!! I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and stop testing quite so much. Maybe I'll decide on the times I'm going to test tomorrow and just stick to those...

I know - I always forget to record things too :confused:. but maybe we should use this almost as a diary... It'll be useful to see what things work for other people! And maybe it'll serve as some motivation, not to mention teaching me a thing or 2 about counting carbs... I get so pissed off with it sometimes, when nothing I try seems to work... But then I don't know if it's because I'm just not doing things right!! 😱

I've taken 21 units of novorapid today. Not too bad, but then I don't really know what's a lot and what's not!!

At least it came down though. FOr all you know, you might've gone down to 5ish but just not known because you didn't test!! I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and stop testing quite so much. Maybe I'll decide on the times I'm going to test tomorrow and just stick to those...

Hehe yeah I suspect it came down at least a bit more, because my brother made cookies and I had one of those and didn't cover it with insulin :D
Good idea on deciding when to test, before meals is the most important so that you know whether to correct.

I know - I always forget to record things too :confused:. but maybe we should use this almost as a diary... It'll be useful to see what things work for other people! And maybe it'll serve as some motivation, not to mention teaching me a thing or 2 about counting carbs... I get so pissed off with it sometimes, when nothing I try seems to work... But then I don't know if it's because I'm just not doing things right!! 😱

I've taken 21 units of novorapid today. Not too bad, but then I don't really know what's a lot and what's not!!

Yeah I think using this thread as a diary is a good idea, seems to be working so far :D What ratios do you use?

Yeah I think using this thread as a diary is a good idea, seems to be working so far :D What ratios do you use?

Hmmm... Well... I thought I'd sussed my ratios but they never seem to work consistently. I think I need to check my basal doses! I use:

1:5 at breakfast
1:8 at lunch
1:7+1 at dinner

They're not DAFNE ratios, they're ones I've made up! You?

Northerner goes low-carbing...

Well, my cauliflower cheese tonight must have been very low carb - had tiny amount of insulin with it and I'm 3.9 two and a half hours afterwards! Had around 500g of cauliflower, at around 2g carbs/100g and there was 26g in the cheese sauce. Now I'm off to eat some jelly babies and chocolate biscuits!😱

Well, my cauliflower cheese tonight must have been very low carb - had tiny amount of insulin with it and I'm 3.9 two and a half hours afterwards! Had around 500g of cauliflower, at around 2g carbs/100g and there was 26g in the cheese sauce. Now I'm off to eat some jelly babies and chocolate biscuits!😱

Oh dear... Scoff those jelly babies, Northerner! Quick! 😱

Glad you're joining the dark side, mwah ha ha 🙂

Hi Northerner , welcome to low carbing !! , Mmmm sounds delicious , ive not had cauliflower cheese for ages , i might have that for tea tomorrow .

Hmmm... Well... I thought I'd sussed my ratios but they never seem to work consistently. I think I need to check my basal doses! I use:

1:5 at breakfast
1:8 at lunch
1:7+1 at dinner

They're not DAFNE ratios, they're ones I've made up! You?

I just use 2:10g, but ive come to realise i need 2 units extra for my breakfast. I'm not as exact as you with my ratio, I wouldnt be able to do the calculations :D

When I went on the BERTIE course I was on 1:10g and had great levels, but that was because it was during my honeymoon period, grr I miss it. I think I need to test my basal too :confused:

Hi Northerner , welcome to low carbing !! , Mmmm sounds delicious , ive not had cauliflower cheese for ages , i might have that for tea tomorrow .

Yeah thanks for that Northerner! I could have cauliflower cheese instead of macaroni cheese to get my cheese fix :D

Yay! 8.7 before exercise, 5.1 afterwards. I'll probably need a snack before bed though.

I did 1hr15mins today 😎 hehe.

I'm using up way more test strips since we started this thread, uh oh, I hate getting prescriptions.

I just use 2:10g, but ive come to realise i need 2 units extra for my breakfast. I'm not as exact as you with my ratio, I wouldnt be able to do the calculations

When I went on the BERTIE course I was on 1:10g and had great levels, but that was because it was during my honeymoon period, grr I miss it. I think I need to test my basal too

Well I've tried to be exact, but I'm not sure tehy're totally right... I have reports to write this weekend so I won't be doing much: a good time to do some basal testing I feel! I'm booked onto a BERTIE in November... I absolutely can't wait! Are they useful?

Yay! 8.7 before exercise, 5.1 afterwards. I'll probably need a snack before bed though.

I did 1hr15mins today 😎 hehe.

I'm using up way more test strips since we started this thread, uh oh, I hate getting prescriptions.

Woohoo :D Those are some impressive levels!! How were they through the night and what have you woken up at?

I went to bed with an 8.6, woke up at 3am so tested and was 4.3, ate 2 digestives and woke up with 9.6. I have now eaten my trusty muesli and taken 8 units of Novorapid (which equates to a :confused:... roughly 1:5 ratio...) I am now going to resist testing at break and wait till before lunch! 😛 Good luck today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back