No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
if my snacks need insulin i have between 5 and 8. if they dont i have the standard 4 lol

See that's my problem, I dont want to inject too much so sometimes dont cover snacks! I probably do up to 6 injections a day.

Much better!! Woohoo! Mine's come down to 9.3 now too so here's to hoping all the germs are out of my system now. Just had a nice lowish carb lunch of salad, mackeral (not quite so ick as last time), some quavers and a choc covered rice cake (mmm)

yay 🙂 That's quite funny... about the rice cakes. Are they Snack a Jacks ones? because ive just had a couple of them lol. I LOVE them, but I usually end up eating loads when I buy them, trying to restrain myself today though 😉

No secrets but it works!

You see. Exercise is where I fall down. Not literally, although it has been a while so I can't say for definite that I wouldn't... 😛 I find it such an effort to make myself exercise. I make excuses. And the immediate impact on my blood sugars puts me off because I rarely exercise without a low or a high. And I also find it really hard to find the time to fit it into my weekly routine. Long working days and a long distance relationship mean my time is limited. Although not so limited I couldn't do exercise if I had the motivation... Vicious cycle! I need to start looking at exercise as part of my medication...

I am trying to record foods and carb amounts and note down effects of things on blood sugar. But it's hard to remember to do it when it needs to be done, especially at work - children don't wait for anything!

i do at least 1 hours exercise a day but when i was training for the ironman i did a bit more lol. it is easy to lose motivation for exercise but once you get your head round it and sort the medication out to it will greatly improve your levels and insulin absorbtion.

it is good to record what does what to your levels 🙂

do you take much insulin with meals????

See that's my problem, I dont want to inject too much so sometimes dont cover snacks! I probably do up to 6 injections a day.

i see what you say, but it is a cycle if you dont cover. you end up high so need to get more in to lower then need to snack due to feeding insulin then need to cover with more. if you can try and limit the types of carbs you have but not the ammount. it is what works for me.

You see. Exercise is where I fall down... Long working days and a long distance relationship mean my time is limited.

Ok, so I know I bang on about this but...

You should soo get an exercise dvd :D It saves time driving/walking to the gym or swimming pool, you can fit it in around everything and if you get a good one it will be so good for you. I used to laugh at my mum for doing them but now I love the one I use :D

yay 🙂 That's quite funny... about the rice cakes. Are they Snack a Jacks ones? because ive just had a couple of them lol. I LOVE them, but I usually end up eating loads when I buy them, trying to restrain myself today though 😉

No, they're Morrisons ones. Posh and organic I think. But really yummy. About 10g of carbohydrate each and definitely give me the choc fix I need! DId you find the jellies? Or were they the ones you didn't like? Hehe...

i do at least 1 hours exercise a day but when i was training for the ironman i did a bit more lol. it is easy to lose motivation for exercise but once you get your head round it and sort the medication out to it will greatly improve your levels and insulin absorbtion.

it is good to record what does what to your levels 🙂

do you take much insulin with meals????

Yes. It's just the consistency I find hard. I will exercise for a while, but not over a long enough period to make changes or see a real difference in levels.

I take 32 units of Levemir, split morning and evening.
Breakfast 7-8 units
Lunch if low carb very little (1-3 units) if eating carbs I usually work it out on a ratio of 1 unit per 8 g of CHO
Dinner usually 5-6 units (again if fairly low carb, if full on carbs then anything up to 12 units), worked out on a ratio of 1 unit to 7g CHO + 1 unit

No, they're Morrisons ones. Posh and organic I think. But really yummy. About 10g of carbohydrate each and definitely give me the choc fix I need! DId you find the jellies? Or were they the ones you didn't like? Hehe...

Yes. It's just the consistency I find hard. I will exercise for a while, but not over a long enough period to make changes or see a real difference in levels.

I take 32 units of Levemir, split morning and evening.
Breakfast 7-8 units
Lunch if low carb very little (1-3 units) if eating carbs I usually work it out on a ratio of 1 unit per 8 g of CHO
Dinner usually 5-6 units (again if fairly low carb, if full on carbs then anything up to 12 units), worked out on a ratio of 1 unit to 7g CHO + 1 unit

wow lots of levemir. i have 22 units of lantus of a night and then cover my food as needed. i use a 1:10g carbs ratio and it is still working really well for me 🙂

Argh right, these have 12g of carbs - and I always have to have more than one so it isnt great lol. Yeah the jelly was the one I didn't like... because I can taste the sweetners in them - I hate the taste of sweetners! I'll just have a diet coke instead.

wow lots of levemir. i have 22 units of lantus of a night and then cover my food as needed. i use a 1:10g carbs ratio and it is still working really well for me 🙂

Ok I dont get this... why do I take 20 units of lantus but need 2:10g carb ratio?

I didn't realise that was a lot to take! I keep meaning to do some fasting blood tests to check my dose actually. Maybe at the weekend...

Katie - maybe I will try out a vid! Any recommendations?!

Ok I dont get this... why do I take 20 units of lantus but need 2:10g carb ratio?[/QUOTE]

i have a good insulin absorbtion to so it lowers my needs for the ratio.

I didn't realise that was a lot to take! I keep meaning to do some fasting blood tests to check my dose actually. Maybe at the weekend...

may be a good idea to try it 🙂

Katie - maybe I will try out a vid! Any recommendations?!

I do this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-Butt-K...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245851925&sr=8-2

It's so old school, but it is really good. I would recommend any dvd with kick boxing moves because it's high intensity cardio and really good for toning too.

Both of those dvds (kick butt & kick butt 2 haha) are on here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Best-Fit...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245852131&sr=1-1

This is the set ive got. I also do the "legs, bums and tums" part of another dvd on there called 'Body Focus' - It is even more old school and cheesey, but again it works hehe.

mike1979 said:
i have a good insulin absorbtion to so it lowers my needs for the ratio.

I know, but why do we both need about the same lantus? hehe

Haha... Ok, maybe I will invest at some point!!

How are the levels?

I'm not sure you are convinced 😉

I'm a little bit high, I had one too many rice cakes oops. how are yours?

"Convinced" is possibly a little too strong! "Thawing to the idea" is probably more accurate! 😛

Down to 7.7 :D Whoop :D Although I'm counting no chickens. This happened yesterday... Fingers and toes crossed...

"Convinced" is possibly a little too strong! "Thawing to the idea" is probably more accurate! 😛

Down to 7.7 :D Whoop Although I'm counting no chickens. This happened yesterday... Fingers and toes crossed...

hahaha :D

Well done, looks like you win today then 😛

hahaha :D

Well done, looks like you win today then 😛

I doubt that very much. Levels today:17.5; 18.8; 13.2; 12.8; 9.3; 7.7. I've definitely had better days (although worse too!) but at least the trend's going in the right direction 🙂

I know, but why do we both need about the same lantus? hehe

i am lowering it by a couple of units every 3 nights at the min due to wanting to stay at my current levels (maybe a little higher of a morning) i was on over 30 units at one point lol

I doubt that very much. Levels today:17.5; 18.8; 13.2; 12.8; 9.3; 7.7. I've definitely had better days (although worse too!) but at least the trend's going in the right direction 🙂

oh yes, ok maybe not, maybe tomorrow then at the rate you are going. Mine havent been as good as the last few days :(

i am lowering it by a couple of units every 3 nights at the min due to wanting to stay at my current levels (maybe a little higher of a morning) i was on over 30 units at one point lol

hmm I wonder why i need 2:10g ratio but only 20 units of lantus. maybe ive just got my lantus wrong or it could be totally random 😉

hmm I wonder why i need 2:10g ratio but only 20 units of lantus. maybe ive just got my lantus wrong or it could be totally random 😉[/QUOTE]

lol well i aint sure either huni hehehehehehe 😛

oh yes, ok maybe not, maybe tomorrow then at the rate you are going. Mine havent been as good as the last few days :(

hmm I wonder why i need 2:10g ratio but only 20 units of lantus. maybe ive just got my lantus wrong or it could be totally random 😉

Doses are very different from person to person! There must be some underlying biological reason, as well as - of course - amount of exercise/ food etc.

Mike, out of interest, how much short acting do you take each day? And how many times do you test your blood on average? (Actually, that one's to you too, Katie!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back