No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've tried to be exact, but I'm not sure tehy're totally right... I have reports to write this weekend so I won't be doing much: a good time to do some basal testing I feel! I'm booked onto a BERTIE in November... I absolutely can't wait! Are they useful?

Yep, they are very useful! It will help you so much with carb counting, correction doses and your ratios etc. They will probably be impressed that you have started doing it on your own :D

Woohoo :D Those are some impressive levels!! How were they through the night and what have you woken up at?

I went to bed with an 8.6, woke up at 3am so tested and was 4.3, ate 2 digestives and woke up with 9.6. I have now eaten my trusty muesli and taken 8 units of Novorapid (which equates to a :confused:... roughly 1:5 ratio...) I am now going to resist testing at break and wait till before lunch! 😛 Good luck today!

Well after the 5.1 I had a snack so that I wouldnt hypo in the night and went up to 10.0 and then 8.9 right before bed (I tested ALOT yesterday). Woke up to 8.1 (only 3 hours sleep though oops). It seems like my Lantus might be right.

So your ratio of 1:5g = my ratio of 2:10g??

Good idea to resist testing till lunch hehe.

Grrr, randomly my level is 16.9 before lunch! I had the same as usual and the same insulin :(

Well after the 5.1 I had a snack so that I wouldnt hypo in the night and went up to 10.0 and then 8.9 right before bed (I tested ALOT yesterday). Woke up to 8.1 (only 3 hours sleep though oops). It seems like my Lantus might be right.

So your ratio of 1:5g = my ratio of 2:10g??

Good idea to resist testing till lunch hehe.

Sounds like a good start 🙂

Grrr, randomly my level is 16.9 before lunch! I had the same as usual and the same insulin :(

Oh no... I hate those levels!

I gave in and tested at break (and was 6.9) but unfortunately shot myself in the foot as I used my last test strip and then couldn't test till I got home, hehe... However, when I did get home, I was 10 so I ate dinner, took my insulin and am now attempting to type while 2.8... I was naughty and have just eaten a 2-finger twirl and 2 caramel digestives to treat my hypo... 😱

Sounds like a good start 🙂

Oh no... I hate those levels!

I gave in and tested at break (and was 6.9) but unfortunately shot myself in the foot as I used my last test strip and then couldn't test till I got home, hehe... However, when I did get home, I was 10 so I ate dinner, took my insulin and am now attempting to type while 2.8... I was naughty and have just eaten a 2-finger twirl and 2 caramel digestives to treat my hypo... 😱

Oh well, I guess your break time is allllmost before lunch 😉 It's ok to eat crap when you have a hypo, the calories dont count and neither do the carbs :D

Well I was 14.8 when I got home so was a bit annoyed... but now I understand the theory of testing at different times of the day, because now before dinner i'm 9.4, so it did some down!! I had some mikado and I guess they made me spike but arent too many carbs so my level came down again.

Now I just need to find myself some dinner...

Hope you feel better after that hypo.

Oh well, I guess your break time is allllmost before lunch 😉 It's ok to eat crap when you have a hypo, the calories dont count and neither do the carbs :D

Well I was 14.8 when I got home so was a bit annoyed... but now I understand the theory of testing at different times of the day, because now before dinner i'm 9.4, so it did some down!! I had some mikado and I guess they made me spike but arent too many carbs so my level came down again.

Now I just need to find myself some dinner...

Hope you feel better after that hypo.

Yep, feeling fine now... I have been trying ot be really good with hypos, but I fugure it's Friday evening and I only have reports to look forward to so I needed a bit of joy!

Yes... I think that does sort of explain the testing at different times. I did it yesterday: tested at break and was 10 (or 12, can't remember!) but was then 5 before lunch. It is interesting to see the effects. Even if I almost never understand what's actually going on or why!

I had a naughty dinner too... A chicken tikka kebab thing from Mossisons, so lazy! 52g of carbs in the pack but I think I rounded up where I should have rounded down. I was 10 so with a 1:7 ratio that was 7.4 units, add 1 as normal 8.4, add one more as a correction dose, 9.4... But I took 10 not 9 hence the hypo... Oops!

Are you off to London tonight or tomorrow?

Yep, feeling fine now... I have been trying ot be really good with hypos, but I fugure it's Friday evening and I only have reports to look forward to so I needed a bit of joy!

Yes... I think that does sort of explain the testing at different times. I did it yesterday: tested at break and was 10 (or 12, can't remember!) but was then 5 before lunch. It is interesting to see the effects. Even if I almost never understand what's actually going on or why!

I had a naughty dinner too... A chicken tikka kebab thing from Mossisons, so lazy! 52g of carbs in the pack but I think I rounded up where I should have rounded down. I was 10 so with a 1:7 ratio that was 7.4 units, add 1 as normal 8.4, add one more as a correction dose, 9.4... But I took 10 not 9 hence the hypo... Oops!

Are you off to London tonight or tomorrow?

mmmm yum, love chicken tikka! If you buy it again you'll know how much to take hehe. I think it's law that either friday or saturday night must involve carbs :D I still haven't had dinner and i'm starving! I'm hoping some food is going to arrive home at some point 😉 Might to my dvd first! You need to buy one!

I'm going tomorrow morning. I'm starting to get excited now and hoping for some MJ tributes. Might have to buy a white glove to wear.

Haha... I will, I will! I promise... 😛

What delights have you got arriving for dinner then?! I def agree with the Fri/ Sar night carb laws :D I might compensate by setting my alarm for a nighttime test to check night time basal dose. I think eating less carbs might have an impact on it...

I'm very jealous! What bands are playing? I'm sure there'll be some sort of tribute! My nickname's MJ so I keep getting the jokes today...

Haha... I will, I will! I promise... 😛

What delights have you got arriving for dinner then?! I def agree with the Fri/ Sar night carb laws :D I might compensate by setting my alarm for a nighttime test to check night time basal dose. I think eating less carbs might have an impact on it...

I'm very jealous! What bands are playing? I'm sure there'll be some sort of tribute! My nickname's MJ so I keep getting the jokes today...

Was down to 6.1 after exercise yay. Ummm my dinner... some french stick with cheese and marmite lol, I couldnt be bothered in the end. I also had some cake tut tut. Yeah wake yourself up and see how the basal is working, think i should do that at some point really.

Neil Young, Seasick Steve, Ben Harper, Fleet Foxes, The Pretenders and The Original Sinners are playing. I went on the website and it looks huuuge, wasnt expecting it to be so big 😱

You shouldn't have told me your nickname is MJ hehee! shomone.

Morning lowcarbers, just a quick Q to you all.

breakfast what do you do, I love a bowl of cereal, is there an easy low carb alternative?

Was down to 6.1 after exercise yay. Ummm my dinner... some french stick with cheese and marmite lol, I couldnt be bothered in the end. I also had some cake tut tut. Yeah wake yourself up and see how the basal is working, think i should do that at some point really.

Neil Young, Seasick Steve, Ben Harper, Fleet Foxes, The Pretenders and The Original Sinners are playing. I went on the website and it looks huuuge, wasnt expecting it to be so big 😱

You shouldn't have told me your nickname is MJ hehee! shomone.

Haha... It's not a nickname I particularly like, or had any part in choosing...

I did wake myself up in the night... I went to bed with a blood sugar of 7, tested it at 3 am it was 11 then woke up to a 9... I'm not sure what (if anything!) this really means, as i did wake up with a blood sugar only 2 units higher than the one I went to sleep with bu the nocturnal 11 has confused me somewhat... Maybe it needs to be bumped up a unit if anything...

I'm dead jalous that you're in the middle of London listening to good music (I love the Fleet Foxes 🙂) Maybe a day to forget about testing too much! Although I hate it when my levels are high and I'm at a festival, constant peeing is so not cool!

Morning lowcarbers, just a quick Q to you all.

breakfast what do you do, I love a bowl of cereal, is there an easy low carb alternative?

Well... Since I am trying the low carb, not the no carb, route, I do indeed have a bow of muesli every morning. I don't think I'd have time to make eggs or anything posh during the week... I'm sure Anne-Marrie can give you some no carb pointers though!

carbs are not all bad

Hi, I saw a nutritionist who warned me about diets based on lots of protein and v little carbs. Us diabetics have to be careful because the overload of protein will eventually damage your kidneys if you keep this up long term. I try to eat carbs low on Glyceamic load (similar to Low GI) and combine them with protein to slow down up take of carbs in blood. Useful is the Patrick Holford low GL diet (book is in waterstones) if you are interested. I found it does help and also helps with weight loss. If you stick to it most of the time then you can still eat occassionally and life can't be too bad then.
Goood luck!
Iris

Hi Rossi , I usually have scrambled eggs and bacon , really quick and easy to do , its done by the time i make a coffee lol you can do them in the microwave if you are pushed for time 😱 I dont usually eat breakfast tho lol , i dont eat much during the day. since going low/minimal carbs i have no appetite , its halved along with my insulin doses :D

Hi, I saw a nutritionist who warned me about diets based on lots of protein and v little carbs. Us diabetics have to be careful because the overload of protein will eventually damage your kidneys if you keep this up long term. I try to eat carbs low on Glyceamic load (similar to Low GI) and combine them with protein to slow down up take of carbs in blood. Useful is the Patrick Holford low GL diet (book is in waterstones) if you are interested. I found it does help and also helps with weight loss. If you stick to it most of the time then you can still eat occassionally and life can't be too bad then.
Goood luck!
Iris

Thank you for your input Iris , all comments and views are appreciated 🙂🙂 I will still continue my minimal carb route though 😱

Hi Rossi , I usually have scrambled eggs and bacon , really quick and easy to do , its done by the time i make a coffee lol you can do them in the microwave if you are pushed for time 😱 I dont usually eat breakfast tho lol , i dont eat much during the day. since going low/minimal carbs i have no appetite , its halved along with my insulin doses :D

Hmmm. sounds nice having bacon & eggs every morning, but I'm normally rushing a bit! And always unsure of eaing lots of eggs, although I do luv em. When I worked on boats, one crew fed me 6 egg omlettes every morning!!
Maybe I'll give it a go a couple of times a week!

Any other suggestions peeps?

PS Do you inject with such a meal, when it's nearly no carb? Assuming your levels are good

6-egg omelette? Wow 😱 Hehe...

6-egg omelette? Wow 😱 Hehe...

yeah I think I got through my fair share of eggs that week, luckily I didn't stay on them for the whole trip!! Never eaten so well when Iworked on the boats mind! Once the chef used to work in the sydney opera house, he loved the open sea, and was a damnfine cook.

Hmmm. sounds nice having bacon & eggs every morning, but I'm normally rushing a bit! And always unsure of eaing lots of eggs, although I do luv em. When I worked on boats, one crew fed me 6 egg omlettes every morning!!
Maybe I'll give it a go a couple of times a week!

Any other suggestions peeps?

PS Do you inject with such a meal, when it's nearly no carb? Assuming your levels are good

yeah i still have insulin with this type of meal , i dont need a lot though , it does depend on the individual , i also inject when i have a salad as you still have carbs in lettuce lol . im not a big eater so i do rarely have breakfast , or lunch but still have small doses of insulin during the day to keep stable levels . Dodger is back from his holiday soon so will have lots of ideas for you lol

Last edited:
yeah i still have insulin with this type of meal , i dont need a lot though , it does depend on the individual , i also inject when i have a salad as you still have carbs in lettuce lol . im not a big eater so i do rarely have breakfast , or lunch but still have small doses of insulin during the day to keep stable levels . Dodger is back from his holiday soon so will have lots of ideas for you lol

So you inject short acting insulin, even when you don't eat during the day?

Haha... It's not a nickname I particularly like, or had any part in choosing...

I did wake myself up in the night... I went to bed with a blood sugar of 7, tested it at 3 am it was 11 then woke up to a 9... I'm not sure what (if anything!) this really means, as i did wake up with a blood sugar only 2 units higher than the one I went to sleep with bu the nocturnal 11 has confused me somewhat... Maybe it needs to be bumped up a unit if anything...

I'm dead jalous that you're in the middle of London listening to good music (I love the Fleet Foxes 🙂) Maybe a day to forget about testing too much! Although I hate it when my levels are high and I'm at a festival, constant peeing is so not cool!

Ok i'll try not to call you MJ then 😛

Sounds like you might need a tiny bit more lantus then, unless you ate late?

The festival was soooo good! Seasick steve was so awesome live, he was the highlight of the day. Apparently we missed Paul McCartney haha! We left during "Rocking in the Free World" because that is usually the encore and we wanted to miss the rush, but he came on to join neil young for the final song. None of us like him, but would have been cool to say we had seen him :D

I tested my levels at one point and I was 22! I quickly stuck 8 units in me. I didnt test much at all, today was the same. My levels have probably been really hight the whole time, eeeeeeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back