Nathan.....Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really sorry Nathan is suffering! When A had it - he was only really ill for 24 hours and then it was more like a bad cold - lets hope the same happens with Nathan!

Try as best you can to get the water into him - even juice will do - to keep the ketones down.

I know you dont carb count - but i dont think correction doses are based on that method are they? I cant remember how to work it out now- but its based on the total daily insulin and then divided (i think) by something. Not being helpful am i! 😱Bev

Really sorry Nathan is suffering! When A had it - he was only really ill for 24 hours and then it was more like a bad cold - lets hope the same happens with Nathan!

Try as best you can to get the water into him - even juice will do - to keep the ketones down.

I know you dont carb count - but i dont think correction doses are based on that method are they? I cant remember how to work it out now- but its based on the total daily insulin and then divided (i think) by something. Not being helpful am i! 😱Bev

Hi Bev...

Just made him drink 3 glasses of water...its the ketones that I'm more bothered about...they have to go.

Correction dose's for Nathan are based on his BG reading....not sure if its the same principal that everyone else uses...🙂

Going to re-check for ketones in a mo...DSN told me to check every 4 hrs...but I have been doing it every hour..I think 4 hours is to long, and no way enough.

Heidi
x🙂

Hi Heidi,

Yes its the same for everyone i think - based on your BG level you work out how much to give for a correction dose. For example, if A was 20mmols - i would give him 2 and a half units because 1 unit brings him down by 5mmols - so that should bring him into range. So how do you work out how much to give for a correction dose? Confused now! But thats not hard!:D:confused:Bev

Hi Heidi,

Yes its the same for everyone i think - based on your BG level you work out how much to give for a correction dose. For example, if A was 20mmols - i would give him 2 and a half units because 1 unit brings him down by 5mmols - so that should bring him into range. So how do you work out how much to give for a correction dose? Confused now! But thats not hard!:D:confused:Bev

Hi Bev...

For Nathan if he was 20ish I would give him either 3-4 units of N/R...working on a similar ratio to A.
Sometimes in Nathans correction doses it is purely guess work and a case of trial and error🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Hello Heidi, just seen this. Poor Nathan! Poor you. Hope the ketones go down soon. You're doing the right things. Keep us updated.

On MDI E's correction used to be 1unit=3mmols. Is about the same now, but does vary. If Nathan's been up a while of course he will be resistant. For E when this happened over Easter we were just whacking the insulin in every two hours...

Have you been advised to increase his basal too? We did with E when his numbers went bananas at Easter...

I read recently, that correction dose is related to how many units of insulin you have on a typical day! I have about 40 units, so by this theory 1 unit of Insulin for me will reduce my levels by 2.5 mmols! (100 divide by 40) However I'm not convinced by this at all!! Trial and error test as you go is the safest, until you know how things work better. I'm still learning, Hmm wil I ever learn!!?

Hello Heidi, just seen this. Poor Nathan! Poor you. Hope the ketones go down soon. You're doing the right things. Keep us updated.

On MDI E's correction used to be 1unit=3mmols. Is about the same now, but does vary. If Nathan's been up a while of course he will be resistant. For E when this happened over Easter we were just whacking the insulin in every two hours...

Have you been advised to increase his basal too? We did with E when his numbers went bananas at Easter...

Hi Patricia..

Nathan's levels have only just started to creep up over the past week or so...after starting with another growth spurt....😡..So basal has been adjusted to cover this..
Usually with illness I tend not to increase the basal....just to do corrections with Nathan's N/R..
Its not very often Nathan has constant high readings..he usually the other way😱

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Heidi

Only just read this thread. So sorry to hear Nathan so poorly. How alwful for him and worrying for you. Hope the drinking clears those ketones.

Please keep us posted on his progress. Sending you both big hugs!

Love Mand x

Hi Again..

Just another quick update...Nathan's....BG 18.8.....Ketones 1.0....Temp...38

So Ketones and Temperature coming down...Now need to work on BG...

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Again..

Just another quick update...Nathan's....BG 18.8.....Ketones 1.0....Temp...38

So Ketones and Temperature coming down...Now need to work on BG...

Heidi
xx🙂

Good luck with that and please keep us posted when you can so we know how you are both doing 🙂🙂

Hiya,

Nathan's DSN just phoned back.....We are working on a correction dose of 1unit would bring down 5mmol...at the moment instead of a correction of 1 = 3mmol...just to be on the cautious side...Blood to be done every 2 hrs..as I was and a correction to be given accordingly then..

Ketones provided Nathan doesnt go up to plus 3 /4..no need to be admitted to hospital..still must keep a check on those.

Temperature..she is happy it is coming down..and has told me I can use a combination of calpol and neurophen on a 3 hour rotation.

No need to alter basal dose...just work with the N/R

Heidi
xx🙂

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear he's got the dreaded swine flu! Really hope it passes quickly for him. Really hope his ketones don't go up anymore as well, he must be feeling so rough ketones are bad enough on their own let alone when he's got swine flu on top.

Keep us updated, i just hope he gets over it quickly and the tamiflu does it's job well.

Emma xxx

Hi All...

Just another quick update....

Nathan's Temp back up to 39...Ketones at 1.0...😡...BG down to 9...with corrections..but he has'nt eaten much either...🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Poor Nathan!
The only way i got A's ketones down was by bribing him to drink 2 pints of water in 1 hour! 😱

It is hard for them to drink so much - but they have to i am afraid - i am sure he doesnt want to be in hospital - might even catch something else there!😱

Have the paracetomol and ibuprofen not helped with the temperature? I hope he starts to feel better soon for both of you - you probably wont sleep tonight!Bev

Poor Nathan!
The only way i got A's ketones down was by bribing him to drink 2 pints of water in 1 hour! 😱

It is hard for them to drink so much - but they have to i am afraid - i am sure he doesnt want to be in hospital - might even catch something else there!😱

Have the paracetomol and ibuprofen not helped with the temperature? I hope he starts to feel better soon for both of you - you probably wont sleep tonight!Bev

Be careful not to make him drink too much water though, this can have the effect of diluting the trace salts and minerals our organs need to function properly.

Hi Northerner, yes i was aware of this - my daughter is doing human biology and told me about it - but i was under the impression that a lot of water in 1 hour would be something like 6 pints or so? Of course - i may be wrong - but i wouldnt want to do this again if 2 pints is too much in one hour? Perhaps it depends on your weight or age? Would be interested to know what the limit is - just in case i have given missleading advice.😱Bev

Hi Northerner, yes i was aware of this - my daughter is doing human biology and told me about it - but i was under the impression that a lot of water in 1 hour would be something like 6 pints or so? Of course - i may be wrong - but i wouldnt want to do this again if 2 pints is too much in one hour? Perhaps it depends on your weight or age? Would be interested to know what the limit is - just in case i have given missleading advice.😱Bev

Hi Bev, I found this page about it which seems to explain it quite well, but you do have to drink a lot quickly for it to happen - just thought I ought to post a warning

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Last edited:
Absolutely - yes post the warning, i hope you didnt think i was being critical!😉

My daughter also goes running and i was very surprised when she told me that if you have had a long run - then its not really safe to drink as soon as you stop - for the very reasons it states in the link. Its quite scary isnt it that such a simple thing like water can do so much harm?😱🙂Bev

Thks

All the discussions really interesting & useful to know what to do/look out for - better than any hotline !...
Thks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back