My Poorly Leg

If one nurse does the original request I can order further supplies on repeat. This is what I did when I had an open wound on my stump. One DN needs to start the process!
Might be worth phoning the DN office and say can this issue of no dressings be resolved at team level .It is reasonable to expect if they are designated the job they should have the dressings to complete that job. Who is responsible and if Gp hound them too.
Sorry you are suffering failing that write to your MP over this. NHS needs to improve they should not get away with it.

This really is shocking Mikey. If it happened once you could accept it as an oversight to a certain extent but they should be coming back later in the day to rectify it. Happening multiple times is just sheer negligence and you need to make a fuss.

It sounded like your leg was just starting to make some progress, so you really don't need any setbacks now.

Sending more (((HUGS)))

@MikeyBikey, for what it's worth:

In S Bucks, when I came generically under the DNs for my temporary catheter care they did the paperwork and I then had a huge stock of mostly unnecessary and inappropriate "stuff" PLUS a resupply contract from a sub-contractor in Liverpool blatantly pushing more unnecessary stuff at me. So in principle this can be achieved by the NHS in their normal inefficient and hugely wasteful manner.

Perhaps it's time to write to your MP. Enclose a photo - that might focus someone's attention! I truly feel for you.

Getting seriously worried as no sign of healing! Just started new course of antibiotics. Will update more when head in a bettev space and nether cooked nor hypo! :(

View attachment 27509
That looks so sore. It looks like its not being kept dry enough . The colour might be good though. its not black it might be healing but slowly.
I wish it better.

I think that looks a little better than the 2nd September but I agree with @Nayshiftin that it isn't being kept dry enough and the skin is becoming so fragile as a result. Have you asked the podiatrist whether more frequent dressing changes would help it dry up a bit more and if there is anything they can do to facilitate that? You do need to ask difficult questions and put them on the spot and push for the treatment you need. Sending more (((HUGS))) and healing vibes.

It really looks as if it needs more aggressive treatment than you are currently getting, you could send the pictures you are posting here to your GP and to your orthopaedic consultant so they are aware of the lack of progress with the healing process.
I wonder if you really need intravenous antibiotics rather than oral meds.

It really looks as if it needs more aggressive treatment than you are currently getting, you could send the pictures you are posting here to your GP and to your orthopaedic consultant so they are aware of the lack of progress with the healing process.
I wonder if you really need intravenous antibiotics rather than oral meds.
i agree that could make a huge difference. Also if you had intense treatment . As in iv and an intense dressing session it might stand a better chance.
its worth trying to send to Gp to see if they can make a difference . Nothing to lose as Leadinglights says . Oral meds tend to be slower but iv usually work better snd faster. Its been months now. Unless there is s reason not too but only your GP or consultant or you will know why ?

Just reading this has shocked me I too have had foot problems and various surgeries on both feet and ongoing issues as diagnosed with charcot foot after 4th and 5th rays amputated in January.

I am shocked that the foot clinic is so slow at organising things when I had issues 27th December seeked medical advice and they tried saving my foot was put on antibiotics daily dressing changes on sdec and then pic line to get antibiotics into be and x ray to confirm bone infection and then operated on 7th Jan to solve it.

Looking at them pictures wounds look so wet and having weekly changes can't be helping it as it looks saturated. Have they tried doing xray to see if anything is inside the foot or blood tests?

I wish you all the best it is so sad that people that use different hospitals and trusts have so different experiences and treatments.

Just reading this has shocked me I too have had foot problems and various surgeries on both feet and ongoing issues as diagnosed with charcot foot after 4th and 5th rays amputated in January.

I am shocked that the foot clinic is so slow at organising things when I had issues 27th December seeked medical advice and they tried saving my foot was put on antibiotics daily dressing changes on sdec and then pic line to get antibiotics into be and x ray to confirm bone infection and then operated on 7th Jan to solve it.

Looking at them pictures wounds look so wet and having weekly changes can't be helping it as it looks saturated. Have they tried doing xray to see if anything is inside the foot or blood tests?

I wish you all the best it is so sad that people that use different hospitals and trusts have so different experiences and treatments.
It is sad that diabetes care all round is dependent on GP surgeries. We do have a good system where i am but i guess its because i want left alone i feel that way. Maybe when i need more ill not get it.

So sorry to hear of your problems mikey , i had infection on leg and fluoxacillin eventually cleared it up good luck and stay calm if you can

Waiting at Diabetic Foot Clinic. Since I last reported no real change bar it looks a little worse each week. The MRI talked about ar the start is September, after the rather unclear result from the ultrasound scan, still hasn't happened. Everybody waiting is wearing at least one "funny" shoe! Will report back later...

IMG_20231005_104328.jpg

Waiting at Diabetic Foot Clinic. Since I last reported no real change bar it looks a little worse each week. The MRI talked about ar the start is September, after the rather unclear result from the ultrasound scan, still hasn't happened. Everybody waiting is wearing at least one "funny" shoe! Will report back later...

View attachment 27772
Hope it goes well.

Hope it goes well.
Any news, how did you get on yesterday? I thought about you but also thought you may be tired after a long hospital visit getting it sorted out. Do not tell if you do not want to but just know you are thought off.

OK I am ready to update now as I know @rebrascora, @Nayshiftin and others are concerned as to what is happening.

Twelve days ago I saw a different consultant. He was concerned that the Pseudomonas infection was rampant and not responding to antibiotics, the diuretics were affecting my kidneys (eGfr down to 45% at start of September), the heavy dressing was creating a haven for the potentially antibiotic resistant bacterial infection being both warm and moist, and that I was suffering side effects from the antibiotics including stomach problems and trigger finger. He immediately stopped both the diuretic and antibiotic. As for dressing it is no dressing at home and only a light dressing if going out or doing something that could cause dirt to get in.

Over a week on and it is drying up although there is some weeping mainly groom the big and second toe. The trigger finger has also subsided although I cannot yet fully straighten the ring and little finger on the left hand. I have also started eating salad and vegetables again.

After a week I had a salt water foot bath (using sea salt). Compared to a year ago I have lost all sense of temperature with the foot although not all other sensations. The amount of dry dead skin that came away was astounding. The photos are of my foot after the second salt bath on Sunday showing there is still plenty of dry skin about. Yesterday's podiatry was mainly a good clean up (the special wipes really sting) and removal of dry skin under the foot and heal. Under no circumstances am I to do more than washing and towelling! The salt baths will be upgraded to Potassium Permanganate when it arrives.

Hopefully after ten months we have turned a corner?! (fingers crossed emoji)

IMG_20231016_115719.jpg

IMG_20231015_211002.jpg

OK I am ready to update now as I know @rebrascora, @Nayshiftin and others are concerned as to what is happening.

Twelve days ago I saw a different consultant. He was concerned that the Pseudomonas infection was rampant and not responding to antibiotics, the diuretics were affecting my kidneys (eGfr down to 45% at start of September), the heavy dressing was creating a haven for the potentially antibiotic resistant bacterial infection being both warm and moist, and that I was suffering side effects from the antibiotics including stomach problems and trigger finger. He immediately stopped both the diuretic and antibiotic. As for dressing it is no dressing at home and only a light dressing if going out or doing something that could cause dirt to get in.

Over a week on and it is drying up although there is some weeping mainly groom the big and second toe. The trigger finger has also subsided although I cannot yet fully straighten the ring and little finger on the left hand. I have also started eating salad and vegetables again.

After a week I had a salt water foot bath (using sea salt). Compared to a year ago I have lost all sense of temperature with the foot although not all other sensations. The amount of dry dead skin that came away was astounding. The photos are of my foot after the second salt bath on Sunday showing there is still plenty of dry skin about. Yesterday's podiatry was mainly a good clean up (the special wipes really sting) and removal of dry skin under the foot and heal. Under no circumstances am I to do more than washing and towelling! The salt baths will be upgraded to Potassium Permanganate when it arrives.

Hopefully after ten months we have turned a corner?! (fingers crossed emoji)
I did wonder if having it enclosed was the problem and salt baths are a great help.
Hopefully this consultant knows his stuff.
I just wish anyone to feel better I really do.

Last edited:
Looks and sounds like some progress @MikeyBikey
Fingers crossed for you

Pseudomonas infection is notoriously antibiotic resistant, we used to get our students to do sensitivity testing as part of the lab practical class and there was only 1 antibiotic from the selection they had to choose from that worked.

Gentamicin or Daktacort used to be good . Once healed and the weeping has gone we used Cavalon not what its for but it sure worked . Some used Betadine dressings and there was a good barrier made with fish oil Morhulan is wrong but I recall putting that on with success.

Back