My Poorly Leg

Is that not discrimination? which is illegal.

I'd contact your MP and ask them to intervene. If that particular clinic is not wheelchair accessible there must be an alternative. You are entitled to the best care possible and quickly.

Week 31

It's funny (well not really) but if I am over 15 - 20 minutes late for podiatry (at mercy of Patient Transport) I am not seen but today they were running 30 minutes late bit I couldn't really say "Sorry, I can't see you today". There are a few I would say it jokingly to but today's was not one of them!

Anyway the dressings came off and were quite soggy. The top of the foot looks a little worse I think but the heel is nearly healed so it all makes little sense. DN tomorrow and MDT appointment in a week!

IMG_20230801_122654.jpg

So pleased that the heel is continuing to improve and nearly better.

The foot looks much less swollen but I expect that is because the fluid is leaking out. Clearly the constant damp conditions are not helping your skin. You really would think they could invent something which allowed the fluid to be drawn away from the skin rather than remaining soggy next to it!

Sending more (((HUGS))) as I know you will be worried and clearly it is a big concern, but focus on the positives and if your heel can heal, then so can the top of your foot.

@MikeyBikey , just catching up here. I am beyond staggered your referral was rejected. If that clinic cannot offer you access, that surely shouldn't be a barrier to treatment. Bewildering.

I continue to send you all my best positive vibes. I do hope your GP can get some traction somewhere.

Have you contacted PALS or such like? It really shouldn't be this hard for you, or anyone else.

Still no update Mikey from today's appointment??
Hope you are OK and not stuck somewhere waiting for patient transport! I guess you must be shattered after such a long day or waiting and worry, so perhaps putting off the update until you feel more up to it or your phone has enough charge. Thinking of you and sending more (((HUGS))).
Finding it hard to get anything done with fingers and toes firmly crossed for a more positive update today.

Still no update Mikey from today's appointment??
Hope you are OK and not stuck somewhere waiting for patient transport! I guess you must be shattered after such a long day or waiting and worry, so perhaps putting off the update until you feel more up to it or your phone has enough charge. Thinking of you and sending more (((HUGS))).
Finding it hard to get anything done with fingers and toes firmly crossed for a more positive update today.

Thank you for asking! I will update tomorrow. The delays before and after just wore me out with boredom and frustration! :(

Week 32 - Diabetic Foot Clinic /Podiatry

I am a few days are posting this but as Patient Transport got me to physio over an hour early I might as well use the time to update the thread!!

Patient Transportet let me down on Monday and I arrived 45 minutes late for my appointment! Fortunately I got seen virtually immediately after running (no pun intended) around the hospital (Hemel). . The purpose built Diabetes Centre is closed and the clinics are now in general outpatients. This place really wastes money. Anyway my kidneys have recovered from an all time low eGFR of 35% to 65% (is this really an accurate test?) and they want me back on the diuretic for four weeks together with a three week course of antibiotics (felt my gut flora was getting back to normal but it will be hammered again). I go back in four weeks but in the interim the doctor (third different one on this the fourth referral) is organising a scan to see what is happening. Should have happened 12 - 18 months ago IMHO.

All the wounds were examined and redressed by the podiatrist in the clinic (it was actually my favourite one). She didn't have the absorbing pads for the leg but thr District Nurse could apply them later in the week. However, the DN rocked up early the next morning and said they should be OK?! I have visions of the lymphatic fluid stains appearing over the weekend.

I am crossing my fingers I will not be discharged yet again with things unresolved! The thought of getting a leg attack or massive infection terrifies me!

Thanks for the update Mikey. It sounds a little more positive, espcially the kidney result and if you can get back on the diuretics then hopefully the fluid seepage will reduce and give the skin a chance to dry and toughen up a bit. Keeping fingers crossed for you that this is the turning point you needed to see.
Sending more (((HUGS))) and positive vibes your way.

Week 33/34 - Podiatry

Basically no real change. The photo is Week 34. Unfortunately a swab the previous wej came up with a Pseudomonas infection. Hopefully the Flucloxacillin will knock it on the head - they are definitely making me tired so I tend to nod off in the evening and wake up around midnight to take my last dose on antibiotics and do the Wordles.

IMG_20230822_110405.jpg

That is rather disappointing as I had hoped to see just a little bit of improvement with you going back on the diuretics, Is it still weeping as much? What is the heel like? Has that fully resolved now? Hoping so as one bit healing gives you hope that with time the others will. I do wonder if the hot weather doesn't help these things and you may see better progress as the weather cools a bit. Sending more (((HUGS))) and healing vibes your way Mikey.

Have to say, looking at that foot again and thinking about your quip on the Wordle thread earlier, I am wondering if some of that white is actually flour dusting that dropped off our wooden spoon kitchen escapades!!

That is rather disappointing as I had hoped to see just a little bit of improvement with you going back on the diuretics, Is it still weeping as much? What is the heel like? Has that fully resolved now? Hoping so as one bit healing gives you hope that with time the others will. I do wonder if the hot weather doesn't help these things and you may see better progress as the weather cools a bit. Sending more (((HUGS))) and healing vibes your way Mikey.

Have to say, looking at that foot again and thinking about your quip on the Wordle thread earlier, I am wondering if some of that white is actually flour dusting that dropped off our wooden spoon kitchen escapades!!

The heel seems virtually healed. I think the problem is the dressings get too damp after a week and probably need changing twice a week.

Week 35 - The Scan

So last week I went for an ultrasound scan. The scan was limited from the groin to just below the knee bacause of the dressings and bandages. I said they could remove them to get images going further down bit they said they did not have any dressings. I was bemused as I was in a major A&E hospital. It may be that a CT scan was more appropriate but I could not get a comment on that.

Week 35 - The District Nurse

When the foot dressings were changed a few days earlier there was a lot of discharge but much to my surprise there was minimal discharge on the front of the shin and almost zero to the sides.

Week 35 - The Scan

So last week I went for an ultrasound scan. The scan was limited from the groin to just below the knee bacause of the dressings and bandages. I said they could remove them to get images going further down bit they said they did not have any dressings. I was bemused as I was in a major A&E hospital. It may be that a CT scan was more appropriate but I could not get a comment on that.
inop if ypur blood flow is bad at top they will not need to go down . Hence , the ultrasound. Also CT more costly and fewer trained in it.
I hope all was good and they now
concentrate on getting you better.

Week 36 - Podiatry

Goodness the weeks are passing quickly. After finding the leg dressings virtually dry the previous week I was hopeful for the foot. Sadly this was not the case. I am also getting concerned about the state if the long toe.

IMG_20230830_091549.jpg

inop if ypur blood flow is bad at top they will not need to go down . Hence , the ultrasound. Also CT more costly and fewer trained in it.
I hope all was good and they now
concentrate on getting you better.

It was bad behind the knee some years ago and my original Vascular team wanted to do a bypass behind the knee. There was, however, a reorganisation and the new Head of Vascular (Dr Plonker - not real name) decreed one only intervenes when there are ulcers or gangrene. I got an ulcer on the left some years later and it was "Wow - no leg"!

It was bad behind the knee some years ago and my original Vascular team wanted to do a bypass behind the knee. There was, however, a reorganisation and the new Head of Vascular (Dr Plonker - not real name) decreed one only intervenes when there are ulcers or gangrene. I got an ulcer on the left some years later and it was "Wow - no leg"!
Im no expert, but blisters due to serious fluid maybe not as bad as it looks A big like when it bleeds its showing signs of healing . Sorer too as nerves kick in . However who knows what's going on .
It looks mega painful and i hope they get you better soon.

Well I am not a happy bunny! The DN that came on Friday to dress my leg yet again did not have the right dressings. She said she would order them but is the fifth different person who said she would do so but my surgery have not a request. When doing the leg she also took off the absorbent bandaging (on put on two days previously) saying the dressings looked quite dry (it takes five or six days for everything to wick through). Yesterday morning I woke to a soggy mess. When I tried to tut something absorbent between the dressings and tubular bandage the soggy dressings just came away. Now of layers of tubular bandage on (brought of Amazon earlier this year). Not happy with foot! :(

IMG_20230905_075806.jpg

IMG_20230905_075856.jpg

Well I am not a happy bunny! The DN that came on Friday to dress my leg yet again did not have the right dressings. She said she would order them but is the fifth different person who said she would do so but my surgery have not a request. When doing the leg she also took off the absorbent bandaging (on put on two days previously) saying the dressings looked quite dry (it takes five or six days for everything to wick through). Yesterday morning I woke to a soggy mess. When I tried to tut something absorbent between the dressings and tubular bandage the soggy dressings just came away. Now of layers of tubular bandage on (brought of Amazon earlier this year). Not happy with foot! :(

View attachment 27437

View attachment 27439
MikeyBikey - I sooooo feel for you.

Will your GP not liaise with the nurses on dressings and allow you to keep a supply at home. That way you can manage levels and hopefully ensure you have what is needed when the nurse turns up?

It feels to me it is time to ask folks to think outside their tiny little boxes.

MikeyBikey - I sooooo feel for you.

Will your GP not liaise with the nurses on dressings and allow you to keep a supply at home. That way you can manage levels and hopefully ensure you have what is needed when the nurse turns up?

It feels to me it is time to ask folks to think outside their tiny little boxes.

If one nurse does the original request I can order further supplies on repeat. This is what I did when I had an open wound on my stump. One DN needs to start the process!

Back