My Poorly Leg

Thinking of you @MikeyBikey
I hope that things settle

Sending you more (((HUGS))) and positive, healing thoughts.

Have they tried Manuka honey or silver impregnated dressings as both are supposed to be effective.
I hope it soon responds to treatment.

Only seems to be getting worse! More tomorrow as my brain just wants to hit out at the moment!
I'm reading.
I'm crying.
There are no words I can think of.

Do not go gentle into that good night​

Dylan Thomas
1914 – 1953
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

So I went to podiatry on Tuesday. As the swaddling of bandages, absorbent material and dressings came off it did not look pretty. The photos aaare after a clean up. There are two not so good areas where the damp conditions are loosening the skin. Also the heel that I have been complaining about for a few weeks but was only dressed the preceding Monday (last week) has a small hole (hence my posting of "There's a Hole in My Bucket"). The last photo shows the small wound above my ankle. A Mepore was put over this to try and reduce the brown staining.

The podiatrist was the one on duty the day I attended the Foot Clinic and has emailed the consultant about the referrals as we have different interpretations. Adin the letter to the GP and the waters baome vey muddled. Joined up it ain't!

IMG_20230711_124208.jpg

IMG_20230711_113305.jpg

IMG_20230713_061951.jpg

P. S. No Likes just Oh No or Care

Words really don’t show the sympathy, Not only will this hurt physically but mentally and movement as we use our legs must be so difficult.
Frustration at not being seen too is really sad and not healing good either is sad. They say thats a problem with diabetes that healing is worse.
i can only say how sorry i am cant empathise as so far i heal very quickly.
Physio well hopefully they can advise but not moving either hurts too and youll need some for circulation.
Not easy and notoriously ulcers are slow to heal.
Bless you I hope you get treatment fast and are soon feeling better.

I think the foot/toes look maybe a bit less swollen this time Mikey but the discolouration of the leg above the ankle is a bit scary. Hope the Mepore dressing helps that. Sending more (((HUGS))) as I can't begin to imagine the mental toll the worry is having on you, let alone the discomfort.
Really hope the NHS can get their act together to deliver a more coordinated approach to resolve this for you Mikey.
Sending positive, healing vibes your way.

Hang on in there @MikeyBikey . Positive vibes coming your way, aplenty.

Is there any way you can ask your GP to intervene, if you can explain your concerns about the lack of joined up approach?

Please don't think I think you aren't doing all you can. I'd want to tear up trees in your situation. So, so frustrating and infuriating for you.

Part II - The District Nurse (DN)

With everything else going on I though I had posted about the visit when I had not. I think it is a sign of stress rather than getting older on this occasion.

The first thing she did was to clean off the build up of dead flakey in on my leg. This has been an issue for some years that I used to partially dealt with by soaking. However, because of the dressings on my foot I tend to put a waterproof cover over the lower leg and clean with wipes before moisturising. The skin underneath looks a lot better but sadly there are now additional leaks from very small lesions. She had a though that all the leaking (is there better terminology?) could be related to Furosemide (with trigger finger and reduced kidney function is it a dangerous drug?).

Anyway it's podiatry tomorrow and the DN comes back on Wednesday. Currently I feel I am in the middle of a group of professionals who do not communicate with each other. It is alllright being Mikey in the Middle on the Wordle thread but not with my leg at risk!!!

Attached shows extent of leakage!

IMG_20230716_185551.jpg

Week 29 - The Podiatrist

So today I had one of the first podiatry appointments of the week. The foot looks much the same though the small hole in the heel has started weeping! It was the same podiatrist as last week. She had not had a reply to last week's email to the Foot Clinic consultant so forwarded to him again. I now have multiple dressings and bandaging from the tips of my toes to my knee. Although podiatrists should not go above the ankle she felt it all needed cleaning up. I am no longer worried I am sh*t scared!

Whilst I was there I got chatting to another long term Type I. He was about a decade older than me but was not diagnosed till around 30 so less diabolical years than me. He has lost two toes (not the big toe) and said it had affected his walking - a question asked by @WPD . It was interesting comparing notes. Although most of his journey has been on synthetic insulin we both tend to spike after breakfast. He was surprised I had my Libre history as he lost his when the upgrade installed. I told him.after 30 years in IT and telecommunications I block phone and PC updates as they never seem throughly tested. Then an ambulance came for him but not for me which was the plan as we had arrived on the same one.

IMG_20230717_172013.jpg

IMG_20230717_172125.jpg

IMG_20230717_172156.jpg

I don't have any experience or technical knowledge to share .... but just want to let you know that I have everything crossed for you. I just hope that the professionals start talking to each other and things improve.

Week 30 - The Podiatrist

Sorry I was been a bit remiss in updating probably as my concerns and, hence, stress levels grow each week.

When the dressings came off on Monday it was somewhat worse as the damp conditions make it look as if I have been in the bath far far too long. The heel actually appears a little better. The visit was on Monday but today damp (lymphatic fluid) is a ready coming through the absorbent pads and bandaging!

IMG_20230724_113647.jpg

IMG_20230724_113653.jpg

Week 30 - The DN (District Nurse)

At last week's visit things were slightly worse as a number of areas had started leaking in different areas of the leg and I wondered if the dry skin removal had been too aggressive.

I managed to grab pictures this week and from these you will understand my concern. Multiple absorbent pads and bandaging.

Whereas the podiatrist had been lovely and caring the nurse was rather the opposite. Felt quite low afterwards!

IMG_20230726_110647.jpg

IMG_20230726_110657.jpg

Week 30 - The Referral

You may recall that on discharge from the Foot Clinic I was going to be referred to the Leg Ulcer Clinic. After some delay and confusion the referral was finally made. Then last week it came back REJECTED. The reasons for this were on clinical grounds (diabetic and existing foot ulcers) and, absolutely staggering, they don't see people in wheelchairs! Feeling in need of proper clarification I decided I needed to one of the Diabetic Leads in the GP practice!

Week 30 - The Referral

You may recall that on discharge from the Foot Clinic I was going to be referred to the Leg Ulcer Clinic. After some delay and confusion the referral was finally made. Then last week it came back REJECTED. The reasons for this were on clinical grounds (diabetic and existing foot ulcers) and, absolutely staggering, they don't see people in wheelchairs! Feeling in need of proper clarification I decided I needed to one of the Diabetic Leads in the GP practice!
I am so sorry to see that things are not improving for you and I am appalled at the lack of treatment options which are helping.
I know you know but it does look really serious and I hope you get your referral asap.

Pleased to see and here that the heel is doing better but yes, the damp conditions with the serum seepage is not helping the skin on the foot. Absolutely shocked that the clinic have rejected your referral and even more so that there is no wheelchair access for such a clinic. That defies belief! Really hope your GP is able to put some pressure on the relevant services to help you. I would suggest you take photos of your leg/foot with you when you see the GP so that they are fully aware of the situation as I imagine they will not want to disturb the dressings.
Keeping everything crossed that you can see some progress soon Mikey. Sending more (((HUGS)))

Pleased to see and here that the heel is doing better but yes, the damp conditions with the serum seepage is not helping the skin on the foot. Absolutely shocked that the clinic have rejected your referral and even more so that there is no wheelchair access for such a clinic. That defies belief! Really hope your GP is able to put some pressure on the relevant services to help you. I would suggest you take photos of your leg/foot with you when you see the GP so that they are fully aware of the situation as I imagine they will not want to disturb the dressings.
Keeping everything crossed that you can see some progress soon Mikey. Sending more (((HUGS)))
@MikeyBikey It may be worth sending those pictures to PALS explaining your situation.

Back