ive used to many test strips doctors are anoyyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just put Gramley on my laptop, I used to have it when I started writing blogs before during lockdown which helped me.
It obviously has 🙂

Thinking of a chef chopping vegetables with a condition which affects their coordination makes me cringe a little o_O but suggests that that the treatment they got was pretty effective. But then it seems dyspraxia affects people in lots of different ways, so maybe chopping veg was never an issue.

I love that I learn about so much more than diabetes on this forum.

@rayray119 Thanks for employing a device or app which definitely appears to be making communication better. Thumbs up emoji!

Am I right in thinking that you weren't aware of how confusing your messages were for us? Do you read them back to yourself and if so, do they look right to you..... I am just wondering if visually you see things differently or perhaps because you know what you are trying to say, your brain unscrambles the letters and words so that you see what you thought you typed and don't realise that it is a jumble.
I tend to reread my messages and edit what I write if I see any obvious mistakes or if it doesn't sound right when I read it

Not intending to be critical, but just trying to understand the problem.

Thinking of a chef chopping vegetables with a condition which affects their coordination makes me cringe a little o_O but suggests that that the treatment they got was pretty effective. But then it seems dyspraxia affects people in lots of different ways, so maybe chopping veg was never an issue.

@rayray119 Thanks for employing a device or app which definitely appears to be making communication better. Thumbs up emoji!

Am I right in thinking that you weren't aware of how confusing your messages were for us? Do you read them back to yourself and if so, do they look right to you..... I am just wondering if visually you see things differently or perhaps because you know what you are trying to say, your brain unscrambles the letters and words so that you see what you thought you typed and don't realise that it is a jumble.
I tend to reread my messages and edit what I write if I see any obvious mistakes or if it doesn't sound right when I read it

no that's something else like about dyspraxia forgetting to do things like that and sometimes missing things but then sporting things after that's why something that reads it out to you would actually help because I would be able to tell that it doesn't sound right.

no that's something else like about dyspraxia forgetting to do things like that and sometimes missing things but then sporting things after that's why something that reads it out to you would actually help because I would be able to tell that it doesn't sound right.
but very sorry for causing confusion and upset.

I also when I can afford a house ride, not for a while because I can't afford it but once you do something a few times you're brain remembers and helps you out. so condition problems don't always stop you from doing things that require condition if you do it enough.

A few years ago there was some experimental work done with young people with diagnosed dyslexia at a centre in Kenilworth based on exercises to improve coordination which was very successful in actually improving their dyslexia to the extent they no longer need special classroom support.

Barbara - I think pictorially, writing doesn't follow any of the rules you and I observe with our brains through our eyes - eg all the letters and words move around on the page - they do not appear in nice neat straight lines. More like tangled knitting than a nice neat block of text, when it's advanced.

There's a prog on telly this coming week about Jay Blades (the coloured bloke off 'The Repair Shop' who recently learned to read aged 51) which may - or not - throw some light on the difficulties of folk like him and Rayray. I think a large part of it is first dividing the elephant you wish to eat, into bite sized pieces.

Books with one letter on a page. Followed by one word on a page. (short words) Quite a while before you got to a WHOLE SENTENCE !!!!

You and I do that anyway - but we didn't cos we couldn't when we were tiny - until people took the trouble to seek out eg rag books for us followed by reading Noddy etc to us - and then we went on to meet Janet & John ......

Barbara - I think pictorially, writing doesn't follow any of the rules you and I observe with our brains through our eyes - eg all the letters and words move around on the page - they do not appear in nice neat straight lines. More like tangled knitting than a nice neat block of text, when it's advanced.

There's a prog on telly this coming week about Jay Blades (the coloured bloke off 'The Repair Shop' who recently learned to read aged 51) which may - or not - throw some light on the difficulties of folk like him and Rayray. I think a large part of it is first dividing the elephant you wish to eat, into bite sized pieces.

Books with one letter on a page. Followed by one word on a page. (short words) Quite a while before you got to a WHOLE SENTENCE !!!!

You and I do that anyway - but we didn't cos we couldn't when we were tiny - until people took the trouble to seek out eg rag books for us followed by reading Noddy etc to us - and then we went on to meet Janet & John ......
It's hand to explain but no letters don't jump around the page for me it's probably looks like that when I've mistyped and forgot to read it back before sending it. sorry its hard to explain

but very sorry for causing confusion and upset.
Not your fault. You can't help having the condition, just like we can't help having diabetes but understanding about it, thanks to Lucy and yourself explaining things now, really makes so much difference to the frustration I was feeling and no doubt others too. And that is helpful to me in the world beyond this forum because if I meet someone else with dyspraxia I will have a better understanding of the challenges that they face and what aids, like this program you are now using, or the dictation facility on phones, which I had no idea about, that can possibly help to improve communication.

Do you have the same problem verbally. ie you struggle to speak coherently too? Is that why the dictation app doesn't work for you? Sorry, I don't mean to probe, but I am just trying to understand the challenges you are working to overcome. As I said in one of my previous posts, I do admire how you don't let it hold you back. I think that is really courageous.

nNot your fault. You can't help having the condition, just like we can't help having diabetes but understanding about it, thanks to Lucy and yourself explaining things now, really makes so much difference to the frustration I was feeling and no doubt others too. And that is helpful to me in the world beyond this forum because if I meet someone else with dyspraxia I will have a better understanding of the challenges that they face and what aids, like this program you are now using, or the dictation facility on phones, which I had no idea about, that can possibly help to improve communication.

Do you have the same problem verbally. ie you struggle to speak coherently too? Is that why the dictation app doesn't work for you? Sorry, I don't mean to probe, but I am just trying to understand the challenges you are working to overcome. As I said in one of my previous posts, I do admire how you don't let it hold you back. I think that is really courageous.
No that's more about I get nervous about speaking to people I don't necessarily know that well if I'm not writing it down wired I know.

I was involved in taking science activities out to schools in Northampton and talking to some of the teachers I was amazed that they have numerous children coming to secondary school who can't read and also have to cope with children whose first language is not English, one school said they had 60 different native languages.
There are certain fonts which are supposed to make it easier and also different background colours that are better for dyslexic folk.

No that's more about I get nervous about speaking to people I don't necessarily know that well if I'm not writing it down wired I know.
here this link might help but its different to everyone but this might give you a general idea

Actually I can understand that as I am like that with talking on the telephone. Even people I know well but perhaps don't speak to very often, I find it really daunting picking up the phone to ring them. Maybe it's the fact that I can't edit my voice..... whatever comes out first time is heard, even if that isn't quite how I wanted to express myself and particularly on the phone where you have no facial expressions to relay what you mean as well as words. Maybe that is why I like forum's so much, because I can edit and control what I post quite closely. We all have quirks and insecurities of one sort or another.

here this link might help but its different to everyone but this might give you a general idea

Wow! That has certainly opened my eyes to it! It is hugely encompassing and debilitating in so many aspects of everyday life. I appreciate that not everyone will experience all those issues but even just some of them are really, really challenging!

Wow! That has certainly opened my eyes to it! It is hugely encompassing and debilitating in so many aspects of everyday life. I appreciate that not everyone will experience all those issues but even just some of them are really, really challenging!
Welcome to my life I already had it and anxiety then diabetes decided to join the club to make it a little bit more interesting 🙂

Actually I can understand that as I am like that with talking on the telephone. Even people I know well but perhaps don't speak to very often, I find it really daunting picking up the phone to ring them. Maybe it's the fact that I can't edit my voice..... whatever comes out first time is heard, even if that isn't quite how I wanted to express myself and particularly on the phone where you have no facial expressions to relay what you mean as well as words. Maybe that is why I like forum's so much, because I can edit and control what I post quite closely. We all have quirks and insecurities of one sort or another.
I hate the phone! Like you, I prefer to see a face, and facial expressions. I wish my hospital appointments were over Zoom, not on the phone,(though I’ll put up with the phone to save trekking to the other side of Oxford). It seems silly, but I have to write down and keep handy any info that I might be asked for, like telephone number, address, (I’ve even written my own name down) because my mind goes completely blank if I'm asked anything, I also can’t process the information I’m being given quickly enough, without any visual clues. I assume it’s an extension of the fact that if I’m told anything, I have to write it down immediately, or I don’t remember it, or deal with it properly. (Most people who know me will say, if they ask me something, 'I expect you’ve got a list…')

Some people can have speech issues with dyspraxia but not all. If you think about it, speaking requires you to coordinate a huge amount of different muscles with really good accuracy. Muscle coordination is exactly what dyspraxics struggle with so it makes sense for some to have speech issues.

I had selective mutism until about 16-18, which may be more related to autism than dyspraxia. I still have a stutter or speech block sometimes. It’s unpredictable and happens more with people I don’t know. For example with the Dr appt I have on Monday I know one of them but not the other so I’ve no idea how much or how clearly I will be able to speak. I’ll write everything I want to explain down as a backup which makes me feel more confident. I don’t always show it to the person I’m meeting, depends how it’s going.

Some people can have speech issues with dyspraxia but not all. If you think about it, speaking requires you to coordinate a huge amount of different muscles with really good accuracy. Muscle coordination is exactly what dyspraxics struggle with so it makes sense for some to have speech issues.

I had selective mutism until about 16-18, which may be more related to autism than dyspraxia. I still have a stutter or speech block sometimes. It’s unpredictable and happens more with people I don’t know. For example with the Dr appt I have on Monday I know one of them but not the other so I’ve no idea how much or how clearly I will be able to speak. I’ll write everything I want to explain down as a backup which makes me feel more confident. I don’t always show it to the person I’m meeting, depends how it’s going.
that's a good idea I might try that for my DSN appointment on Tuesday. sorry to be stealing your ideas.

that's a good idea I might try that for my DSN appointment on Tuesday. sorry to be stealing your ideas.
I’m happy to give you ideas. I won’t actually write it I will type it on my iPad and take that with me, or print it out. I think it makes it easier if I’ve thought things through in advance, and any communication or anxiety issues I just hand it over.

I have a list for my next consultant appointment (which is by telephone) I find it a lot easier if I know what I want to say rather than a conversation with someone where I don't know where the conversation will go.

@Robin I find it amazing, spooky even, how many similarities there are between us, both with our diabetes management, interests and general way of thinking. I had a much loved Auntie down in Oxford.... I'm starting to wonder if you are a long lost cousin!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back