In hospital with Covid

Karen83!

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sadly I got positive test for Covid last week and deteriorated over weekend but was scared to go to hospital and didn’t go until collapsed and then I waited a few hours to call 999. I was admitted yesterday pm.
I’m getting excellent care in hospital and on constant oxygen, steroids, antibiotics, blood thinners etc as might have clot on lungs. The steroids causing very high bg and hard to not have lower numbers.
I bought my own insulin’s so can self medicate. Forgot a lot of stuff in my befuddled state. Like my toiletries. Hopefully friend is dropping off stuff soon.
So
I would advice getting a bag ready in advance.
Supermarkets are the only places I have been to for months, no close contact and I live on my own. Rates have been low in my area until recently. But now shooting up.
Please don’t delay getting an ambulance if you need help x
Hi Jade!! I know this post is a couple of weeks ago, but just wondering how u r keeping? Xx

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jade!! I know this post is a couple of weeks ago, but just wondering how u r keeping? Xx
Oh dear, I hope this isn’t another forum glitch. Is the rest of the thread with Jade's updates (last one this morning) not appearing?

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oh dear, I hope this isn’t another forum glitch. Is the rest of the thread with Jade's updates (last one this morning) not appearing?
Don't worry, it's all there as far as I can see!

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glad to hear you’re improving @Jade and have been up and about. :)

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Slowly improving, oxygen down to 1.5% and just on low end of my personal target of 88-92. I can do deep breathing now which helps. Got an air flow mattress as skin broken down on my lower back and bum. My skin understandably wasn’t a priority when in acute respiratory ward so it declined.
My blood glucose control prior to being ill was really good. Hbaic usually 44-50. Ok I’m fat and also have chronic asthma and allergies but was able to lift weights, walk around parks and seafront.
But my fellow patients included a fit 42 year old with no health issues. She was in hospital for 11 days but maybe could have recovered quicker if had cpap- mechanical breathing machine but she refused to keep on using it because they were horrible to use but I was on it for a week. Like having your head in a vice. But got to relax and let it work. Kept me alive at the end of the day and grateful got a bed on acute respiratory as full now. Another lady in her 40s with asthma been acutely ill five days and now off oxygen and going home. Two others in their late 60s both fat and have type 2 and One has bgs in 20s. We are all on steroids, blood thinners and antibiotics. Staff are happy with me having bgs mostly 10-13.
I’ve lost a stone so far because being seriously unwell, lost apetite, small portions and only eat at mealtimes 7am, 12pm and 5pm. Mouth finally feeling less sore and raw but constantly dry as sandpaper.

Awesome fireworks on New Year’s Eve thanks to ward being on fifth floor !
Here’s to a Happy and healthy new year!

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So pleased/relieved you are continuing to make progress Jade.
Thanks for the breakdown on patients in there with you. It is interesting but worrying to read of the broad spectrum of diabetics who are struggling with Covid. I think we have kind of been comforting ourselves here on the forum that good control is like a magic shield but clearly it isn't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who it strikes or how they are affected by it... just a lottery!
Looks like you were having a sleepless night posting at 2am. Hope you got some rest and you have a good day today.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So glad you’re feeling better @Jade I hope your skin is easily sorted. I too was interested to read about the other patients. A good reminder how worrying this virus is and how careful we should all be.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jade thanks for the update, it takes as long as it takes as long as you get fully recovered.

HCP`s are always happier with higher BGL`s especially in the lower teens, those airflow
mattresses are brilliant and will/hope definitely help with your skin.

So glad my little "well" story made you laugh, another one in the same thread, enjoy.

Take care we`re all thinking of you, sending you love from your mates on the forum.
xxx

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lovely to hear that you are improving and for giving us a better understanding of what goes on in the hospital. Its a grim reminder for all of us to take more care. So sorry that it was you that got it. Happy New Year xx

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Jade so good to hear you are feeling a bit better and things are ‘on the up’. As the others have said it is interesting to hear of the other patients and their underlying conditions. I certainly wish all of us a speedy recovery and hope your mattress helps your skin. Keep in touch and hugs to you x

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Glad to hear that you are improving. X

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Thanks for the updates , you see when we know one of us is ill etc even though we know we can’t do anything to really help, we do worry.
It’s good to hear you are improving. The air flow mattress should soon help to start healing your skin. Me being greedy I also needed an air flow cushion for my chair. That was some res ago now.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the update @Jade
So pleased to hear that things are improving for you.

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well I’m thankfully at home now. So lucky to leave hospital as so many people died of Covid including a lady opposite me on our bay. I’m very tired and breathless walking around, using a Zimmer frame most of the time. I’m getting carers in to help with personal care (and meals) when my amazing sister goes home in a few days. She will need to isolate. It’s been so stressful and worrying for her as I was so seriously ill and high risk of me dying.
It’s lovely to be home, it’s quiet to sleep and rest, own comfy bed. Sadly can’t sit in my armchair as struggle to get off it.
Thanks to the nhs and Southend Hospital for saving my life and others.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good to see you home @Jade. Take care in your recovery, you will get there.

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glad to hear this Jade, even if it is slow progress it is great to be home when you have been in hospital for a long time, and hope your recovery continues x

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I am so pleased to hear you are back home, their is nothing like you own bed, quiet nights and being able to have a cuppa or a snack whenever you want to.
Now you are home I hope you start feeling much better quickly, but please don’t push yourself as you and your body needs time to recover .

Sounds like you could do with some aids to help you . If you have a community nurse (district nurse) or are under social services they can arrange to have equipment delivered to you on loan.
If your not under them, your Gp can put you in contact with the right department.

Amongst other things they can provide , perching stools which are very handy in the kitchen when u need to sit down a lot or having a bit of a wash.
Raised toilet seats or a toilet frame to assist you in getting up, they provided my Nan with a comfy chair that was the right height oh and so much more.
After my accident amongst other things I was provided a perching stool, I’ve still got it and it is so bloomin handy.
I hope you find the above helpful

Take care xxx

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It’s so good to hear you’re home. Such a scary time for you but a relief to be able to continue your recovery in your own space and sleep in your own bed.

Wishing you well ongoing x