In hospital with Covid

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sadly I got positive test for Covid last week and deteriorated over weekend but was scared to go to hospital and didn’t go until collapsed and then I waited a few hours to call 999. I was admitted yesterday pm.
I’m getting excellent care in hospital and on constant oxygen, steroids, antibiotics, blood thinners etc as might have clot on lungs. The steroids causing very high bg and hard to not have lower numbers.
I bought my own insulin’s so can self medicate. Forgot a lot of stuff in my befuddled state. Like my toiletries. Hopefully friend is dropping off stuff soon.
So
I would advice getting a bag ready in advance.
Supermarkets are the only places I have been to for months, no close contact and I live on my own. Rates have been low in my area until recently. But now shooting up.
Please don’t delay getting an ambulance if you need help x

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Jade, how awful for you. You are in the best place if you need that kind of care. It must be hard to know when enough is enough and when to call an ambulance, but I'm glad you did.

It is really scary that you go it from a supermarket. I always think I'm safe shopping with my mask on and my hand washing and sanitising but I'll make sure I'm extra careful in future.

Hope you are soon on the mend x

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What a frightening experience for you @Jade I'm glad you were able to get help. I hope things will settle for you now you are being treated and cared for. It is a battle with steroids to get blood sugar levels lower, is there a diabetes team in the hospital who can be involved to help you deal with your higher levels?

Good advice on having a hospital bag ready just in case.

Wishing you well and I hope you start to feel better as soon as possible and your blood sugar starts to return to more normal levels.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice @Jade. I hope you’re home and recovering ASAP. Glad to hear you’re getting excellent care. (((Hugs)))

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I replied on Mikey’s thread but I’m glad you’re getting such good care. Steroids are a pain but if they help you then that’s good. Ask if they have a diabetes team who could help or keep an eye on you. I know my local hospital’s team get notified when someone with diabetes is admitted.

Look after yourself. XX

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Jade, I am glad to hear that you are getting excellent care. I hope that you make a speedy recovery. Good advice about having a bag packed. Keep in contact with the forum if you are up to it, I am not sure how you will control your bloods with all this going on but I hope that it settles down Sue xx

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oh dear - we picked a bit of it up - but were able to get over it before it got out of hand.

Unless we could all ensure folk stop breathing out wherever we might decide to breathe in - remembering that 99% of those folk aren't aware they have the lurgy - I'm not sure what else we could do. Literally the only place I'd been since September was once to the GP surgery for a blood test.

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
my partner has isolated since March and to contract covid in hospital is beyond me. i will pray that you get a speedy recovery.

mike

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I hope you get well soon @Jade

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sadly my overnight care was seriously lacking as shortages of staff, on the plus side I woke up after 7 hours of my first sleep but staff didn’t do observations and didn’t see that my nasal oxygen tube fallen out. Gradually getting back to normal with oxygen mask on.
There are 2 frail ladies on here without Covid and been stuck here for weeks, hopefully one is moving back to nursing home soon.

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Jade that doesn't sound too good keep an eye on your breathing as that is where the virus can get you worse.

i ended up in a similar situation where i was in hospital and lack of staff resulted in me going in to diuresis. i was left from morning till night and boy did the night shift know about it as they had to get medics in. kept them busy with plenty of catheter bags though as you produce lots of wee.

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good afternoon @Jade glad you got some sleep and feeling a bit better now the oxygen mask is working. I hope that you managed to get your things brought in by a friend. I am surprised to hear that there are two frail old ladies stuck in the covid ward.

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Jade you have my thoughts and sympathy, your point about a bag is such a good idea. My husband packed my bag after I was rushed to hospital in January I got tooth paste but no toothbrush, 1 nightdress and dressing gown but no slippers (didn’t need them anyway), no flannel or towel, 2 bottles of hair shampoo but no soap, comb or hairbrush. Than goodness I have a daughter!
Lots of best wishes and I hope you get checked regularly, make sure you have easy access to your bell

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Hope you feel better soon. X