• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

In hospital with Covid

Inamuddle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Jade sometimes on this forum i get completly lost. Been looking for half an hour and reading so many posts! Anyway i just wanted to send you a hug for today. Sorry to hear that its such hard work. I thought i might go to the supermarket just to see the empty shelves as i was so fed up but then thought of you and what you said and decided i was better off at home. Sue x

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sending love and good wishes for a speedy recovery from me too. Please update us when you can. X

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m still fighting to get through this. My care improved and most staff keen to support. Highlights include having a bed bath, being repositioned and having edible food. They do seem to over cook veg,
They get my insulin pens from pharmacy and had to sort out a new lantus as a clue less staff couldn’t be bothered to ask and withdraw lantus with syringe instead! Totally messed up pressure system!
I will celebrate Xmas in January hopefully

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m still fighting to get through this. My care improved and most staff keen to support. Highlights include having a bed bath, being repositioned and having edible food. They do seem to over cook veg,
They get my insulin pens from pharmacy and had to sort out a new lantus as a clue less staff couldn’t be bothered to ask and withdraw lantus with syringe instead! Totally messed up pressure system!
I will celebrate Xmas in January hopefully
Hope you are home soon @Jade {{{HUGS}}} Glad to hear things have improved for you :)

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sending best wishes @Jade. Glad to hear the staff are on the ball (well, except the ones that messed up the Lantus!). :)

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Hope southend hospital are treating you well (saw that you was there in the merry Christmas post). You're not far from me, I live in rayleigh. Hope you're starting to improve. X

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Southend hospital saved my life and I am very grateful to have survived Covid. Got moved to step down ward which is an awesome Christmas present. Got a Christmas dinner later, enjoyed a lovely bed bath this morning thanks to caring staff.
I feel a lot better now.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So, so glad to hear it Jade.

Even if the bird is dry, the sprouts boiled to death, the parsnips burnt to a crisp, the roasties limp, the gravy gloopy and the stuffing tastes like shredded cardboard, your dinner will be fabulous!

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I do hope it isn’t that bad as don’t get other options and macaroni cheese for supper not until 530/6pm!

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fantastic news Jade. So relieved to hear it and as you say, best pressie possible is an improvement in your health. Hope @Docb's description of lunch isn't too close to the truth but just great that you will be well enough to eat something!

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Xmas lunch was pretty good, nice stuffing, bit of sausage, slices of turkey in gravy and little potatoes. Strange flavoured tiny sprouts that were left on plate. Plus some jam sponge and custard. My friend dropped some sweet stuff off for me and I was 16.5 at 10pm so extra novorapid!
Waiting for bg to be tested this morning. I can also blame the steroids as they raise bgs!!
I managed to get some sleep and all nice and clean after early morning bed bath. Very grateful for the lovely care.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glad that you managed to have a festive meal and that you are being well cared for.

Grannylorraine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jade, so pleased to hear you are improving and got a Christmas dinner. I hope you are well enough to go home soon.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
@Jade . I do hope you are starting to feel much better
Xxx

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes I am doing ok, got moved to another ward. Ironically where I started but on different bay. More day staff and yesterday had physio’s help me get up and walk for first time in 2 weeks, all the way to the loo off the bay. Had another walk to loo this morning. Wobbly legs but a major achievement in the circumstances. I will probably be here at while as need to be on oxygen 2%, they tried 1% but sats too low.
Slow road to recovery
Thanks for your thoughts and concerns

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
That is a major achievement. Get well soon.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pleased to hear you are making progress but quite shocking to read how long you have been off your feet and that will take time recover, but good that you are getting physio and the process of rehab is starting.
Take care and all the very best to you for better health and happiness in 2021

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Jade when i was in hospital with a bad infection, once i started trying to walk again it was like my lungs just ran out of steam. took ages to get back to some form of walking again.

give it time Jade that is the key. hope you get a good recovery, best wishes Mike