HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

An interesting 'exercise' in exercise today...
I normally do 5k 3 or 4 times a week and today, because of the poor weather I postponed my run until after lunch.
Recorded BG post lunch at 7.5 and then went out. Came back later after run and tested again at 5.3.
Its amazing how the body can respond although I guess not all the time and not always as we would like!

Blessings Snowwy

I am a runner and have Recently started to increase my mileage in preparation for a couple of half marathons later this year. im having some major issues recently where my blood sugar will massively spike after exercise. I’m going on to cgms with my Medtronic pump and automation soon so hoping that solves it!

i find that I need to start my run (>6 miles) with a bg of above 10. This will drop whilst I am running so I carry sweets and gels to counteract. But, over the last few weeks, I’ve found, 2 to 3 hours after my run, my blood sugar will spike massively up to the high teens or low 20s! Getting annoyed with it as I darent increase insulin as I’m hypo unaware and can’t be running with low bg!! Any advice would be gratefully received

I am a runner and have Recently started to increase my mileage in preparation for a couple of half marathons later this year. im having some major issues recently where my blood sugar will massively spike after exercise. I’m going on to cgms with my Medtronic pump and automation soon so hoping that solves it!

i find that I need to start my run (>6 miles) with a bg of above 10. This will drop whilst I am running so I carry sweets and gels to counteract. But, over the last few weeks, I’ve found, 2 to 3 hours after my run, my blood sugar will spike massively up to the high teens or low 20s! Getting annoyed with it as I darent increase insulin as I’m hypo unaware and can’t be running with low bg!! Any advice would be gratefully received
I'm sorry marcusblackcat, being a non runner I can't advise you but will tag @Northerner who is in a position to give you some tips. Good luck with your forthcoming half marathons & do let us know nearer the time what date you'll be running.
WL

I'm sorry marcusblackcat, being a non runner I can't advise you but will tag @Northerner who is in a position to give you some tips. Good luck with your forthcoming half marathons & do let us know nearer the time what date you'll be running.
WL
Thanks @Wirralass much appreciated. I’m running the Hreat North run and Manchester half marathon in Sept and Oct. really lovin my running but this blood sugar spike is extremely annoying,

Could be that in the period after exercise your liver releases extra glucose from its stores in order to replenish the glycogen in your muscles. It used to happen to me and I found that having a small amount of carbs prevents this spike as it 'switches off' that response. It may not work for you, but worth a try 🙂

Could be that in the period after exercise your liver releases extra glucose from its stores in order to replenish the glycogen in your muscles. It used to happen to me and I found that having a small amount of carbs prevents this spike as it 'switches off' that response. It may not work for you, but worth a try 🙂
Thank you much appreciated. I'll give it a try to see what happens and let you all know. Love my running at the minute. It's completely taken over my exercise regime now!! Used to like being out on the bike but that's gone by the wayside as well! Anyone want to buy a bike?? 😛😛

I am a walker too, also garden and do Pilates. Swimming depends on the stroke use to be back freindly.
It's good to hear of so much exercise but how is it related to diabetes. I think I understand that exercise burns off much blood sugar, so for those who do quite a lot why dosn't it use all the sugar?

It's good to hear of so much exercise but how is it related to diabetes. I think I understand that exercise burns off much blood sugar, so for those who do quite a lot why dosn't it use all the sugar?

My understanding is that there are various pathways for the body to take up glucose directly from blood into muscles, but the storage capacity isnt limitless... Additionally there is increased sensitivity to insulin from exercise, but again this can only have so much effect.

I USED TO DO THIS*😉😉😉
......but now my exercise is restricted to walking round my small garden 10 x 4 daily! 😉
WL
Edited *

Last edited:
For type two diabetics our ability to use insulin to metabolise glucose for energy is reduced. This process takes place inside our body's cells. If we exercise regularly this problem is greatly reduced and we effectively become less severely diabetic than we otherwise would be. This means that we need less medication or can do without it completely. It also may allow a less restricted diet.

Thank you much appreciated. I'll give it a try to see what happens and let you all know. Love my running at the minute. It's completely taken over my exercise regime now!! Used to like being out on the bike but that's gone by the wayside as well! Anyone want to buy a bike?? 😛😛
No no, don't sell your bike, book a duathlon and then you'll be only one step away from becoming a triathlete.

Thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread as to how much exercise we each do on a daily/weekly basis. I for one have resumed exercising on my exercise bike twice a day to help me stay as fit as I can atm & also to maintain a good bgls. My old back prevents me from walking too far for any length of time but I'm hoping to resume swimming soon, used to swim 1mile x 4times per wk (No back pain when swimming) Didn't learn to swim till I was 63! My right knee doesn't currently condone exercise so i start off slowly on my exercise bike then build up, a replacement knee could be on the cards! I also do stretching & floor exercises.

Type2 since April 2016
Diet & exercise only
I’ve just got back into cycling and am averaging 100 miles a week. I will also be doing a 100km ride at the end of July. I also average around 11000 steps a day with my job

My exercise plan has improved over the last 6 months, nowhere near to the past when I did one or two marathons a year. However, I usually do a 5k every other day and have now upped the weekend run to 5 miles. It has really helped my sanity during lockdown!

Before Covid I did Pilates twice a week, walk each day, do a full day of walking once a week, and played badminton once or twice a week, and walk each evening after our meal.

Now!! My intentions are good but it is all a bit chaotic with no structure now. We still do a full day of walking once a week but the rest is not so organised. The intention was there. I bought a skipping rope, did my Pilates twice a week and also planned to cycle each day. I suppose the garden took over a bit, but I have also got a bit lazy.

Hiya Northerner - Just a quick update. I've got a bit of a regime going now. Normally been setting a temp BG target on my pump auto mode (8.3) and starting exercise with it around there or just above. Bag of haribo (20g carb) before I run and carry 2-3 with me depending on distance. Split them evenly through the run (third and 2 thirds in or quarter, half and 3/4 through) and this is seemingly working. No more spikes and pretty good control throughout. 14 miles this morning and only one alarm towards the end of the run. Fingers crossed

Hiya Northerner - Just a quick update. I've got a bit of a regime going now. Normally been setting a temp BG target on my pump auto mode (8.3) and starting exercise with it around there or just above. Bag of haribo (20g carb) before I run and carry 2-3 with me depending on distance. Split them evenly through the run (third and 2 thirds in or quarter, half and 3/4 through) and this is seemingly working. No more spikes and pretty good control throughout. 14 miles this morning and only one alarm towards the end of the run. Fingers crossed
Ah, that's excellent news @marcusblackcat ! 🙂 It's a pain working it all out, but once you have you know you can just relax and enjoy the run 🙂 Thanks for the update 🙂

Hi Everyone!

I’ve recently started 30-45 minutes Aerobic a day. This is good as I suffer severe pain & fatigue all over from Fibromyalgia.

I also have a fitness tracker coming in the post from EBay for my Birthday at the weekend. This will do BP & pulse and measure my steps.

I’m starting with walking exercises and Yoga etc as tried my fitness DVD level 1 yesterday and nearly finished me !!!! 🙄 LOL:D

Interested to read the comments on here x

MissDaisy

Hi Everyone!

I’ve recently started 30-45 minutes Aerobic a day. This is good as I suffer severe pain & fatigue all over from Fibromyalgia.

I also have a fitness tracker coming in the post from EBay for my Birthday at the weekend. This will do BP & pulse and measure my steps.

I’m starting with walking exercises and Yoga etc as tried my fitness DVD level 1 yesterday and nearly finished me !!!! 🙄 LOL:D

Interested to read the comments on here x

MissDaisy
Hi MissDaisy. Takes guts to do the exercise as a diabetic - but to suffer fibromyalgia too. Well done indeed. Got a friend in my running club who suffers fibromyalgia. When she runs she's in agony but she won't give it up and try something less impact!

Keep it up. You'll get used to your DVDs 🙂

Awwww Thanks yeah pretty hard but I keep trying to do as much as possible ! There’s so many who seem not to understand the pain & fatigue as it’s invisible illness ..... you can look well and feel so rotten. I keep on plodding on as you say best to try to do the exercises 🙂

Back